InuYasha Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction / Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ *What* Insertion? ❯ Shark Teeth ( Chapter 18 )

[ A - All Readers ]
WHAT* INSERTION?
by Curtis Wildcat


Chapter Eighteen --- Shark Teeth

----------

(Cue theme)

----------

Location: Somewhere in northern Nevada, U.S.A.
Time: April 6, 1996; late afternoon

A large, burly man with scraggly black hair and a pointed nose jerked out of a sound sleep. Several feet away from him, his telephone was ringing loudly. Muttering, he grabbed the receiver. "Hello?" he snarled loudly. "...You did? Took you long enough...yeah, I know she practically disappeared off the map last year, but that's still no excuse. You'll get your pay, but you'll only get your bonus if...that far away? That's hard to believe...very well. Expect your paycheck in the morning."

The man smiled mirthlessly as he hung up the phone. "Just sit tight, little girl. Daddy's coming to get you. This will teach you to run out on the family."

--------

Location: Local recreation center, Tokyo
Time: April 9, 1996; 4:12p.m.

Down at the tennis court, Phibrizzo was becoming a common sight.

Typically two or three times a week, he'd show up and practice on his own. His apparent skills were impressive enough to attract other local tennis players to the courts; and, more often than not, he'd work his way to a win. He'd overheard from a few people that he could try to turn professional by the time he hit high school.

The first time he'd heard this, Phibrizzo was mentally laughing at the thought of attending high school at his size. The second time, he'd ignored the school aspect and focused on what they were saying. Even now, a few weeks after he'd first heard it, it sounded like a very unlikely possibility.

As a group of seven people watched him practice on his own, Phibrizzo allowed his concentration to deviate just enough to speak with his 'parasites'. I'm still not sure about this whole 'turning professional' thing. Don't you have to look a certain age?

"You have to act like it, too," Inuyasha remarked, reading a small book entitled: 200 Ways to Play Solitaire. "I don't know much about the sport, but I think they judge people based on their maturity."

"Amongst other things," Curtis mumbled, ignoring the tennis practice for the most part and watching a basketball game instead.

I'm better off asking Dolphin for advice, Phibrizzo muttered.

"I don't pay a lot of attention to tennis, Phibrizzo," Curtis said, picking up his voice a little. "And Inuyasha has a point. If you look and act like a kid at the point where you go pro, there will be plenty of managers and sports agents out there who will take advantage of you."

In that case, I'll find something else to do with my---

"If it isn't little Mr. Manners," a familiar voice greeted him from the door.

Just like when Curtis switched out on him while the ball was in-flight, Phibrizzo's concentration was broken long enough for a ball to smack him in the face.

"Mr. Manners? I thought his name was Phibrizzo Kaden. You mean you forgot so soon?" another voice asked.

"Kronk, I know what his name is."

"Oh. That's a relief. I mean, you don't forget a name like his easily..."

Rubbing his nose, Phibrizzo turned to regard a pair of faces he hadn't seen since he'd first met them: those belonging to Nami Keeler and Jonathan Kronk, attorneys-at-law. "Hi there, Kronk, Miss Keeler. Tennis practice, or does someone want to sue me?"

Nami laughed. "It wouldn't surprise me if someone did, but no. It's the first choice. Trust me; if someone wants to sue you, we'll be the first to let you know."

"Right," Phibrizzo agreed. "In any case, you versus me. On the court. Right now."

"What are you talking about?" Nami asked, frowning. "I came here because I've been hearing rumors that this kid tennis player's been tearing up the court. Does this mean that you're the person they're talking about?"

Phibrizzo glanced behind him out of curiousity, then turned back to Nami. "Court seems okay to me."

Nami sweatdropped. "If you play tennis as well as you talk, this should be a fun match."

Phibrizzo chuckled to himself before answering: "Alright, let's get started." He backed towards the opposite side of the court. "Remember what I said before: using pepper breath is illegal."

"Uh, Phibrizzo..." Kronk started to say, dropping the equipment bag he'd been carrying.

"I haven't had anything spicy to eat in several days," Nami told him testily, "so you can just forget about using that insult."

"Take away my fun, why don't you..." Phibrizzo murmured, rolling his eyes.

"Phibrizzo---"

Phibrizzo sighed, annoyed. This quickly turned into a startled cry as he fell backwards over the net, landing with his feet dangling in the air.

Nami shook her head. "All those who saw that one coming," she groused, "raise your hand."

Everyone in the room, sans Phibrizzo himself, raised their hands. From the floor, the half-mazoku grumbled: "What do you want, Kronk?"

"Phibrizzo, watch out for that net."

"Oh, thanks a lot." Phibrizzo rolled to his feet. "Can we just get started, now?"

-------

Time: Ten minutes later

Several people jumped as the recreation center doors slammed shut. Behind the desk the clerk trembled, looking on as the largest man he'd ever seen---barring sumo wrestlers, of course---marched into the center.

The man easily exceeded six feet; that by itself would make him stand out in a crowd. He had thick, scraggly black hair that was left unbound. His nose was practically sharp enough to poke holes in paper. On top of that, he looked strong enough to turn an I-beam into a pretzel. He wore a green long-sleeved shirt decorated with black star-bursts, which went well with his olive-green pants and wristbands. When he spoke, it was with a raspy snarl. "I hear there's a little tennis phenom in the area. Which way to the court? I'd like to watch."

------

"Alright," Kronk announced as Phibrizzo retrieved a ball that had gone past him. "The score's tied at three. You're playing up to six, aren't you?"

Nami confirmed it with a nod, catching the ball when Phibrizzo threw it back at her. "It's been fun so far. I hope it stays that way when I win."

"You haven't won yet," the kid shot back. "There's still a few tricks you haven't seen yet. You want to see them?"

"You mean you actually have something I haven't seen yet?" Nami asked, laughing a little. "I used to play professionally back home. There's just not that many stunts left. Now, here goes!"

------

As the large man calmly strolled towards the courts, he scarcely even noticed the half-dozen or so people lined up just inside. He already knew that his target was at the court, so he figured that they were waiting for a chance to play against her.

Spending a few seconds watching the match, it became obvious to him that it wasn't her they were watching; it was the kid. The little brat reacted quickly whenever the ball came his way, either making diving saves or pivoting on his feet to send the ball rocketing back across the net. So far it wasn't anything his opponent had trouble with, but it was still something to watch.

After glancing quickly at the man standing at one side of the court---whom he remembered as a strong, yet dense athlete with a powerful serve---he decided to make his move.

You've had your fun, little girl, but now it's time to come home!

-----

As Nami and Phibrizzo continued to exchange volleys, Inuyasha immediately took note of the large man that was edging towards Nami. "Can't she hear the guy? Forget hearing...can't she see him?"

"She's too engrossed in the match to pay attention," Curtis replied. "Phibrizzo, it's not looking pretty out there."

Already on it!

As Nami paced over a few steps to intercept the tennis ball as it bounced towards her, Phibrizzo anticipated which way the ball was going to go before dashing a few meters to the right. He released his right hand from the racquet and snatched the ball as it came towards him; before anyone could complain about unfairness, he tossed it into the air and smashed it over the net. Eyes widening, Nami ducked her head...

...just in time as Nami's would-be captor got a faceful of tennis ball and fell backwards to the floor.

-----

Nami frowned. What was the point of that? You don't just grab the ball in mid-game just to hit it back. Knowing that the ball had hit something---and from the look of things, Phibrizzo wasn't looking too apologetic---she turned to help the other person up...

Her heart almost stopped. She knew who that person was. It was the very person who'd made her whole life, from childhood on, miserable. It was the person who had forced her to enter professional sports...and, in a way, forced her to leave pro tennis behind and move to Japan after she finished her education. If he found out that she was considering marrying Kronk a few years down the line, he would've done a lot more than just argue with her.

Without a moment's thought, Nami scampered as far away from the man that she could and took up hiding behind Kronk, who just scratched his head and looked confused before realization hit him. After that, Kronk ran over to hide behind Phibrizzo; Nami, suddenly without a hiding place, did the same.

------

"Do you think that guy's okay?" Curtis asked. "That was a substantial amount of force you put into that swing."

It wasn't any more than Conan's super-powered shoes, Phibrizzo told him. He'd actually tagged along with Conan when he dropped by Dr. Agasa's house that day, and saw a demonstration of the shoes a few days later. If those guys managed to wake up eventually, this guy should be alright.

Phibrizzo turned his head as far as he could and put on a menacing look. "If I have to replace this racquet because I had to drop the mesh on someone's head, Miss Keeler," he said icily, "you're the one paying for it. Let go of me!"

"Wha...what's he...what's he doing here..." Nami managed to say, her eyes dilated.

"I thought he was still in America!" Kronk muttered, a bit fearful. "Neither of us told him. I know that my former boss didn't tell him!"

"Hello? Mind letting go?" Phibrizzo said, a bit louder this time. "People are staring."

"I don't know how he got here," Nami declared, "and I'm sure not going to find out. Pack your bags and tell tomorrow's client that he'll need to find another lawyer, Kronk---we're finding somewhere else to live!"

"I dropped a guy with a tennis ball!" Phibrizzo exploded, his head seeming to triple in size. "Quit acting like it's no big deal and let go!

Finally shaken out of their frightened stupor, the two of them gazed into Phibrizzo's angry eyes. "Do you have any idea who that is?" Nami asked, a tad irritated.

"No, and I don't particularly care," Phibrizzo said, somewhat calmer. "All I care about right now is that you've got a death grip on my arm. Let go, please."

Nami and Kronk released him, although they didn't relinquish their spots behind him. "That's a real scary man you've got over there," Kronk explained. "He's been in court four times for various crimes, such as child abuse, but in each case there's been no evidence against him. It's as if it all just disappears."

Phibrizzo frowned. "Maybe so, but that doesn't explain why he's after Miss Keeler."

There was a brief pause as Nami stared down at him. He's taking this in better than I thought. I wonder... "Well, the man acted as both my manager and agent when I was competing in the United States. When he first heard that I was learning to play tennis, he saw a chance at easy money and gave me his full support...as long as I stuck with the schedule and did what he said, which wasn't always easy. It eventually reached the point where I was playing against the best people in the sport, competing at events like Wimbledon, and basically beating almost everyone I played against.

"Finally, after I lost in the semi-finals of my most recent tournament, the man threw a fit and turned extremely violent. He tore through the apartment..." Nami shuddered at the memories. "...and tried to attack me. I don't know whether he was trying to kill me or just teach me some sort of lesson...but I knew that I had to get away from that man. I'd met Kronk just a few weeks before; and a few days after the incident, he came up with the idea of high-tailing it someplace far away from him. This was about...two years ago. We moved here to Tokyo, and we took up studying law. By summer of last year, we had our own office."

Phibrizzo shrugged nonchalantly...although Curtis flinched reflexively when both chambers started glowing red. "Sounds like a real mean man. What's his name?"

"The name's Arnold Long."

The raspy voice got everyone's attention right away; Curtis in particular had a ticked-off glare that Phibrizzo had never seen him have before. The man had recovered quickly from Phibrizzo's sneak attack and was standing no more than seven meters away from them, having snuck around the net while they were busy talking. Nami and Kronk cringed at the sight of him, while Phibrizzo's gaze turned as hard as steel.

"That was an extremely foolish thing to do, kid," Arnold said, smiling. For an instant, Phibrizzo thought for sure that his teeth were sharper than the norm. "I came here to retrieve my little girl, and I get ambushed by a little punk. For that, I'll take you as well. You'll regret doing that to me."

Phibrizzo smiled. Nami and Kronk, having a good enough angle to see this, were confounded that he would smile after hearing about him. "Mister Long," he declared in an even tone, "never in my life have I regretted any of my actions. Not then, not now. From what you two are saying...like the 'my little girl' line, and the 'tearing through the apartment' thing... you're her father and her manager, right? Well, listen and listen good: you're a failure."

Arnold's fists clenched. "A failure?"

"You've failed as a manager, and you've failed as a parent. If you're willing to stoop so low as to resort to attacks on your own daughter just to satisfy your own greed, that's just muddle-brained idiocy. As far as I'm concerned," Phibrizzo exclaimed, his voice rising, "you're a filthy...little...roach!"

Most of the onlookers gasped at this. Arnold, infuriated at the insult and Phibrizzo's own bravado, had a much different reaction.

--------

Having just finished putting some supplies away, Sylvia Kaden nearly jumped when she heard a man let loose all his anger in one tremendous scream. "What---what was that!?"

Five seconds later, another scream---this one panicky---signalled Nami and Kronk's abrupt departure from the tennis court. The duo very nearly bulldozed everyone in their path, choosing to make a hasty getaway. They only stopped when they felt that they were far enough from the court to warrant breathing.

Frowning, Sylvia paced over to them. She'd met them on a prior occasion, but beyond their names knew little about them. "Is something wrong, you two?"

"Call the police," Nami wheezed.

"Huh?" Sylvia intoned, concerned.

"Call the police, call a detective...call someone," Nami insisted between gulps of air. "Just get that man away from us!"

"Who is he? What's going on?"

"Let's just say that 'no more Mr. Nice Guy' doesn't fit him," Kronk was able to suggest.

"I'll explain," Nami said, recovering. "There's someone in there after me...someone I don't have good relations with. After I explained it to the kid I was playing against, he insulted the man in the worst possible way."

Kronk regarded Nami worriedly. "You know, maybe we should've taken the kid with us. He would've been better out here than back with that monster."

"A kid?" Sylvia blurted out. "Who was he?"

Nami shook his head. "Some kid with black hair, a fireball T-shirt, and with several bracelets on his wrist. Why's that important?"

Sylvia's eyes widened momentarily. I know who that is! "Lead the way, miss," she said.

"'Lead the way'!? I'm not going back in there!" Nami almost shouted. "I'm finding me a jet and getting out of this country!"

"Lead the way," Sylvia repeated, the iron will of parental authority surfacing in her voice.

Nami's next protest died on her lips. She's serious, isn't she? "Why do you want to go there? As soon as he sees you're with me, that man'll go after you, too!"

Both Keeler and Kronk recoiled from the venom in the woman’s voice. "Because, Miss, that kid you left in there's my son. If he gets hurt, I’m holding all parties responsible!”

Nami smiled nervously and held her hands in front of her. “Okay, okay. Don’t get so excited! We’re going! We’re going!” That’s her son? I can see where he gets his attitude!

The three of them hurried to the tennis courts at Sylvia’s urging, taking note of the spectators from earlier; the whole lot of them were running the other way. “Yeah, definitely a fight,” Kronk remarked. “The kids back in school always did that when the bullies were around.”

“Then let’s quit wasting time,” Nami snapped. “Kronk, you get to a phone and call the police. After what happened the last few times, he’d better be locked up good when this day’s over!”

Kronk nodded and split for the nearest phone as the others neared the courts.

--------

Seething with anger, Arnold marched slowly towards Phibrizzo. “There are several things I refuse to tolerate: children who won’t do what their parents say, and kids too mouthy for their own good,” he snarled, rearing back to clobber him.

Still smiling, Phibrizzo shoved his tennis racquet into subspace and rotated his arm a few times. “Go ahead. I dare you.”

Bracing himself in time, Phibrizzo took the hit full force; his chest gave way with the blow, then rebounded back into place. Before Arnold could recover from his surprise, he found himself on the receiving end of a Gum Gum Pistol, driving him back towards the net.

Phibrizzo's smile was gone. That attack should've flattened him, but it seemed to have no more effect than that tennis ball did. "Something's up here. Even for a brute your size, that attack should've had more effect. You're not exactly what they call 'normal', are you?"

"Neither are you," Arnold said, smirking. "But I'll get to that in a little bit. Seeing as how you've got surreal abilities like I do, I can safely let you in on a little secret. You ever hear of Project: Clandestine DNA?"

Phibrizzo nodded. "Off-hand. Something about this super-smart teenage kid wanting to give other people enhanced abilities, and the experiment backfiring and reducing the building to ashes."

Arnold looked around for a few seconds before his smirk turned nasty. "There's more to it than that. We've got a few minutes. You want to hear the rest of the story?"

"The rest of the story? I'm afraid you're going to tell me anyway."

"For starters, the experiment worked out well. Very well. For those of us at the center of the project...exceedingly well."

The ceiling lights reflected off Phibrizzo's eyes, giving them a dim yellow glow. "And you were one of those guys that the kid asked to take part in the experiment? In that case, why don't we just skip the rest of the story? I want to see what you got out of the experience."

-----------

"I got more out of it than you realize," Nami heard Arnold say. "The question is, what did you get out of it?"

Sylvia and Nami peeked nervously around the edge of the doorway. As far as they could tell, Arnold and Phibrizzo had been doing nothing but talk since they'd got there. The first comment they'd heard---something about 'surreal abilities'---had caught Nami's attention.

"I never took part in the stupid experiment," Phibrizzo complained. "You're about the third or fourth person that's asked me that, and it's getting annoying. I got my powers on my own, not because of some genius's crackpot theories. I'm sure not related to any test subjects, either."

"Powers...?" Sylvia whispered almost inaudibly. Nami thought she heard a tinge of apprehension somewhere in there.

"Then explain to me why you're treating your body like rubber," Arnold said, "if you're not descended from them."

"It's not rubber...just overly flexible," Phibrizzo snapped. "Don't confuse the two. I'm capable of so much stuff, your head would spin like an overworked washing machine."

Although neither Nami nor Sylvia could see it, Arnold was sneering. "Show me."

"I can't."

"And why not?"

Phibrizzo issued a sneer of his own. "I don't want to burn the place down. My allowance doesn't come anywhere near what it must've cost to build this place..."

"Explains the T-shirt," Nami whispered.

"Ssssh!" Sylvia hissed.

"...besides that, I like playing tennis, and this is the only place with rates I can afford. I go here at least twice a week."

"Well, if that isn't fine and dandy," Arnold said sarcastically. "Because you're going to need everything you have just to survive against me!"

Oddly enough, his body seemed to pulsate. Over the course of twenty seconds, his skin turned a dark grayish-blue. "This is what I gained. That experiment altered my genes and gave me the ability to breathe under water. I can trigger the release of a hormone to multiply my strength and speed tenfold! Tell me that isn't something to get worked up about!"

Nami and Sylvia had to fight to keep their gasps reined in. Arnold, in the meantime, continued. "The purpose of the experiment was to modify...and even add to...the genes within a person's body. The strengths that people have gained from the experiment allow them to surpass all reason. These are the most dangerous people...on...earth..."

Arnold's voice trailed off as Phibrizzo started snickering malevolently, taking a handful of steps around the man to give himself some more space. As everyone waited for him to stop giggling, Sylvia gave Nami a mortified look. "These are the types of people he associates with?" she whispered.

"Before you make any snap decisions, let's just watch and see how this turns out," Nami whispered back. "If you knew what that man has done to me, you'd be proud of your son for standing up to him." She sighed quietly. "I wish I knew where he gets that courage."

Before Sylvia could answer, Phibrizzo announced: "Listen to me, and listen good. I'm talking to you. I don't care about your stupid strengths or your prattle about me being related to some guinea pig. All I care about is that you ruined a perfectly good tennis match with your lame kidnapping scheme! If you don't go away and never show your face in Tokyo again, your face will say 'hi' to the floor!"

"Oh? And what are you going to do if I don't?" Arnold asked, implying that he believed Phibrizzo wouldn't be able to accomplish it.

Phibrizzo smiled sinisterly. "Three words, jerk..." With that, he threw both his hands back...and back, and back, and back. Both spectators' jaws dropped at the sight. "Gum Gum Bazooka!" he yelled, running towards Arnold and allowing his hands to snap back forwards. The explosive recoil blasted his target across the room, creating an Arnold-shaped crater in the wall.

Nami's eyes widened. What's going on? Is this a weird real-life version of some cartoon? I did not just see that! She turned to regard the crater; somehow---possibly with the help of whatever strange strength he gained from his color change---Arnold seemed unhurt. As it was, he had already pulled himself out...and was looking seriously ticked.

Sylvia's eyes narrowed just a little. Nami thought she could tell what she was thinking, and it wasn't looking very good.

What happened next was almost blindingly fast. Arnold yelled at the top of his lungs and began a mad dash straight at Phibrizzo. Just before he could tackle the kid, Phibrizzo jumped over him and kicked him between the shoulders, keeping his momentum going and nearly making him plow into the wall again. Still angry, Arnold bared his teeth---which looked a lot sharper than they normally were---and lunged. Caught off guard, Phibrizzo was almost unable to yank himself out of the way. As it was, those giant teeth broke the skin on his arm---

Something black leaked into the air, hissing as it came into contact with oxygen. Whatever it was faded like so much fog, and the cut on Phibrizzo's arm faded into nothingness. Not even a scar remained.

Arnold laughed as he watched Phibrizzo's face turn pensive. "There's no point in being overconfident. You have aches and pains just like everyone else."

Phibrizzo's expression chilled Sylvia to the core. What he said next almost froze her mind, too. "I don't know how to tell you this...but that attack was nothing. What you just saw there wasn't blood. My body runs on energy the likes of which you've never seen before. The amount of body heat I give off when I'm furious can melt steel in seconds. What you just saw was a mixture of the two; and although I can't do much without the stuff, I don't need it to function." Phibrizzo's expression returned to normal, but he didn't quit talking. "Due to my unique genetic makeup, I'm essentially immune to any and all physical attacks, whether they're sharp or blunt. There are only two real ways to hurt me, and you don't have either of them."

"That's a load of nonsense," Arnold barked. "If that's the case, why bother dodging my attacks? You're hiding something. Something important..." He grinned sinisterly. "Can I assume your parents are okay with this? Answer me this, since you've talked so much up to now."

Nami caught Phibrizzo's hesitation. "They don't need to know," he said at last. "If I showed off my abilities to people who couldn't handle it..." He smirked. "Well, at least now I know why Miss Keeler hates you so much."

"Who needs them?" Arnold asked bluntly, ignoring Phibrizzo's last remark. "They wouldn't understand. One look at that attack you hit me with a minute ago, and they'd throw you out of the house. People are funny about those things---if you're in any way different from the other person, they don't want anything to do with you."

"Explains why she ran off," Phibrizzo admitted. "Either that, or you're just pain personified."

"History is full of proof. The United States' Civil War was provoked in part by people who supported slavery; forty years ago, they would insult you just for your skin color. During the second world war, the country subdued Japanese people simply because they believed they were the enemy. Scientists, mathematicians, philosophers the world over have been criticized and persecuted throughout the centuries...all because they had new ideas. What makes you think you'll be any different simply because you have a few fancy tricks? What makes you think any of us are any different?"

"If I were a lesser person," Phibrizzo growled, "I'd take your argument into account...but since there's nothing that they can really do to stop me, I'll just ignore it. I see what you're trying to pull, and it's not going to work."

"I'm not suggesting that they actually hurt you," Arlong said, still smug. "All it takes is a few words or a slip-up, and you'll be out on your own. Just imagine: your face plastered all over the newspapers. Stuck in an alley somewhere without a real home, hiding from people and living in fear of their words..."

Nami kept an eye on Sylvia throughout this exchange. During the conversation, a variety of emotions repeatedly adjusted her face: disbelief, anger, awe, frustration...and finally, a look of firm resolve. She couldn't say the same for Phibrizzo; despite his words, he actually looked somewhat nervous...

It took a few seconds for Nami to realize that Sylvia wasn't beside her anymore. Wait...wait! Hold on a second! What's she doing!?

What Sylvia was doing was getting up from behind the door and walking out into the room, getting Arlong's attention and cutting him off in the middle of his speech. Despite the stress level in the room, Nami was aware enough to note that Phibrizzo looked pretty distraught. "Mother...? How long were you---"

"Long enough."

-------

Phibrizzo had long prided himself on his lack of fear. He was quite literally afraid of nothing, except for Shabranigdu, the Lord of Nightmares...and Naga the Serpent, who was---in his opinion---a hundred times worse than the rest of humanity put together.

But he was a full-fledged mazoku, back then...and those fears paled in comparison to what he was feeling now.

She knows...she actually knows...

He had succeeding in keeping his powers hidden from his foster parents for several months now, and he was hoping to keep it that way. He should've known that he wouldn't be able to hide them forever, in retrospect.

Is what Arnold saying true? Am I going to be shunned and thrown onto the streets just because I can't blend in with everyone else?

"Arnold's a jerk," Curtis said, attention riveted on the unfolding situation. "Besides, what are you worried about?"

Inuyasha agreed. "What happened to the big, bad monster that hated humans several months ago? Not that I'm missing him or anything..."

Sylvia walked past the net and approached Phibrizzo, her face unreadable. He could almost feel goosebumps spreading across his arms. He almost wished she'd yell in his face so that he would have an excuse to hide somewhere.

"All those centuries watching people, and you still don't understand them," Curtis said, trying to get Phibrizzo's attention. "It's true what they say: you won't understand the other person unless you walk in his shoes for a while."

Curtis, shut up and help me out here!

Curtis frowned and shook his head. "No can do, Phibrizzo."

What!? His eyes widened. Off to the side, the trio saw Arnold's sharp smirk; the man must've assumed that dejection was getting the best of him.

"If you really think you're so tough," Inuyasha growled angrily, "then pull yourself together. You're letting that guy put thoughts in your head!"

But he's right! Phibrizzo shouted inwardly. Don't you get it? He's telling the truth!

"The truth from his point-of-view," Curtis complained sourly, "and it's nothing more than misconceptions. 'Truth' isn't like that. You can't take truth, twist it into something else, and still call it truth. Contrary to what people believe, that's not how it works."

Then what do you call this? Phibrizzo asked angrily, his gaze focused on Sylvia.

"I call it a parent in her 'I'm-your-parent-now-do-as-I-say' mode," Curtis answered, half a smile in place. "And it looks like she's going to say something."

Phibrizzo tensed himself, resisting the urge to run as Sylvia started speaking.

-------

"Phibrizzo, I'm so ashamed of you. If I'd known you would try to pick a fight with someone more than twice your size, I wouldn't have let you come here...and now to find out that you have strange powers? I just don't know what to do with you."

Phibrizzo hung his head. In the few months since he'd come to live with them, Sylvia had never seen him look so dejected. I wish he'd at least told me sooner. "Phibby, are you okay?" she asked, her tone softening a little.

"You decide," Phibrizzo murmured, staring at the ground. "Do I look okay? Do I feel okay?"

Turning her head just a little, Sylvia noticed Nami taking a few hesitant steps forward, her tennis racquet in one hand. Ignoring her for the moment, Sylvia decided on a course of action; if Arnold had awakened Phibrizzo's fear of rejection, there was only one way to ease that fear. "I'm not going to tell you," she said. "You decide that for yourself, honey."

Arnold's smirk became a snarl.

"Just because some stranger tells you something doesn't mean you have to believe it," Sylvia explained. "Besides, with Inuyasha all over the place and that incident with the Junes that one time, 'normal' isn't exactly...well..." She shrugged. "...normal."

"And there's also the rumors coming out of Nerima," Nami chimed in, edging a few steps nearer to the net. "You know? About the flower-tossing gymnast, the guy who switches genders with water, the radioactive zone near this one dojo..."

"...Although I still don't believe that part about the gender-switching," Sylvia mused aloud.

"...Miss Keeler?" Phibrizzo quietly asked.

Nami turned to him. "Hmm?"

"...The dojo is the radioactive zone. That girl's cooking will melt a hole clean through your stomach. If you survive it...either it'll mutate you, or you'll get a month's worth of indigestion and cramps."

"You mean Nerima really is that bad?"

"It's worse. Did you know they have a martial arts school for tea ceremonies?" Phibrizzo looked a lot less likely to worry about who to believe, but he still wasn't completely out of it. Arnold, meanwhile, was visibly gritting his teeth and growling.

Phibrizzo's statement got Nami and Sylvia laughing. "Sorry," Nami said, smiling widely. "The mental image is just too much!"

"You think that's funny? There's a principal there who goes around with a palm tree on his head. He has this obsession with haircuts; he tried to give me a crew cut the last time he saw me."

Sylvia frowned. "You didn't hurt him, did you?"

"I didn't need to," Phibrizzo confirmed. "The gender-switcher saw the principal try that and tripped him up when I ran past him."

"You know," Nami said, tapping her chin, "you could stand to lose a few inches of hair..."

Phibrizzo shook his head. "My hair's fine the way it is. It's not getting any longer. I look stupid with a short haircut, anyway---"

The conversation was cut off as Arnold yelled at the top of his voice, both visibly and audibly frustrated. Without hesitation, he broke into an all-out charge...past Phibrizzo. A second too late to dodge, Sylvia realized that she was the target---

"Gum Gum Spear!" came a voice from above...and Arnold suddenly found himself plowed into the ground by a pair of outstretched feet. Nami and Sylvia looked up in amazement; faster than they could blink, Phibrizzo had somehow gotten into the air...with the perfect position to attack! Not willing to be a part of the action, Sylvia hastily retreated back to the opposite side of the court.

Phibrizzo flipped a few times due to recoil and landed safely, his glare positively frightening. As Arnold finally got up---still none the worse for wear---he started glowing a deep purple. "That's it, you shark on steroids!" he snapped in English; was it Sylvia's imagination, or was there an engine revving in the background? "You ruined a decent match, toyed with my emotions, made me look stupid, and now you have the nerve to attack one of the few people who are willing to put up with me? Well, I have two words for you: no stinking way!"

"That's three words, Phibrizzo," Nami interrupted, sticking with Japanese.

Phibrizzo almost fell over, but managed to stay balanced. Gathering himself together, he spared a glance in Sylvia's direction. "Miss Keeler, mother...I appreciate your support, but I have some trash to throw out. Make sure the police stay out of here until I'm able to subdue him."

Nami smiled playfully. "You do know you'll be responsible for any damages incurred to the building, right?"

"I know a construction company in Nerima that'll get the job done fast and efficiently," Phibrizzo countered. "Just call them when I'm done here, and they'll get here lickety-split. Best of all, they're affordable."

"What, you expect me to pay for it?"

"Well, I'm certainly not! Now get out of here, or we'll never finish our match!"

"No argument from me." Nami nodded at him, then turned and ran off. As she did, she yelled over her shoulder: "Do it, Phibrizzo. I'm counting on you, here!"

Sylvia looked one more time into her adopted child's eyes. "Phibrizzo..."

His face turned ever so slightly. "Yes, mother?"

After a moment's thought as to what to say, she gave him her "Go, Masked Yaiba" smile. "Remember that I'm cheering for you. Now take him down!"

Delighted, Phibrizzo couldn't help but shout joyfully. If there had been any doubts before, that statement had washed them away. "Absolutely!"

------

Nami, having rejoined Kronk in the lobby, waited for Sylvia to do the same. As she did, she couldn't help but think about the irony that was evident.

A kid she barely knew possessed superpowers, and was about to face her worst nightmare: her own father. And in a way, both pairs---herself and Arnold, Phibrizzo and Sylvia---were polar opposites. Arnold was overly powerful and authoritarian, but had abused his strength...and herself. Sylvia had apparently adopted a special child, and treated him with the respect he deserved without knowing what he could do...while Phibrizzo secretly feared that his strengths would ostracize him.

As Sylvia entered the lobby---which was now empty except for the three of them---Nami felt a lingering ache from her left shoulder. The phantom pain wasn't there, of course, but several years of waiting couldn't erase the long scar that existed. She didn't need to remind herself how close she came to dying, all because she lost one stupid game. It had never occured to her to tell Arnold that no one was perfect...even though he expected otherwise.

But maybe...if Phibrizzo somehow lasted through this mess...

The door opened, and Nami saw someone walk in. She knew the police were on their way, but she knew that they hadn't arrived just yet...unless they hired a suspicious-looking first-grader to do their work.

"Excuse me, but why was everyone running away?"

Nami sighed and started to explain.

----

Once Sylvia had left, the two of them didn't waste anymore time. Almost immediately, Arnold and Phibrizzo started lashing out at each other. The latter was taking full advantage of his rubber-esque abilities, but Arnold's enhanced durability soaked up the blows like a sponge. The mutant, beyond all reason now, repeatedly tried getting his sharpened teeth into range. Each time he tried, Phibrizzo twisted out of the way.

"Looks like something out of my nightmares," Curtis commented. "He sure is ugly."

"Curtis, this is your nightmare," Inuyasha reminded him.

"Yeah. Don't remind me."

I just hope he doesn't bite through this shirt, Phibrizzo said as he countered one of Arnold's attacks with a roundhouse. I don't think Sherry would like it if I asked to have another one of these made. It was her money that was spent, not mine.

"I doubt your mother would want another one made anyway," Inuyasha replied. "Remember, she didn't like the idea at first."

Arnold lunged again, his ferocity at its peak. This time, Phibrizzo didn't bother with evasion; he instead let his fire fill his fist as it blasted forward. "Gum Gum Flare!" he shouted, the impact---and the heat---sending the mutant looping through the air across the court.

Instead of smashing through the wall, Arnold recovered in mid-air and rebounded off it. He opened his mouth wide, the jaws gleaming in the light. Twisting a few times, he put himself into a spin, intending on finishing his target permenantly. "Shark...on...Gear!"

Two sets of eyes widened. "Phibrizzo, dodge it!" Inuyasha and Curtis shouted.

One step ahead of them, Phibrizzo teleported to safety, rematerializing in one corner of the room. He turned around in time to witness Arnold's drill-like attack tear its way through the floorboards and into the ground, sending debris in all directions. After a few moments pause, a thick geyser of water shot up from the hole; Arnold had not only tunneled through the ground, but also through the top of a water pipe.

Phibrizzo winced. "Major ouch," he muttered, feeling slightly dizzy before reorienting himself.

Something suddenly came to mind. "Phibrizzo, quick question," Curtis stated. "When you regenerated from that hit you took earlier, did you feel your energy being used? You know, like your teleportations?"

"A little bit," Phibrizzo admitted...and a second later, paled. "Teleported twice, re-generated once, used up some energy with that Flare...I'm definitely starting to run low. No wonder I'm not feeling good. I don't suppose you stuck something to drink in subspace when I wasn't looking, did you?"

"No, I haven't. Haven't had the---"

"Shark on Gear!"

Phibrizzo's eyes widened. "Again!?” he yelled, narrowly dodging Arnold’s shark teeth as he burst from the floor. The mutant stopped his attack as he resurfaced and kicked off the wall, his jaws once again evident. This time the half-mazoku couldn't manuever out of the way, and Arnold's jaws closed around his arm---

For several long moments, there was no noise other than the water still spouting from the ruined pipe. Phibrizzo stared down at Arnold, his hand and wrist held fast inside the mutant's sharp-toothed maw...

...and his broken bracelet besides.

"I warned you the first time...I warned you the second time..." Phibrizzo uttered. "You chose to ignore me both times." His eyes flashed. "You have in your mouth the one tie to my past that's left." His skin began glowing purple, and his body temperature shot up rapidly. "Either you release it post-haste, or you'll find out what it's like to be char-broiled!"

Arnold's response was to slug him with his left fist, every ounce of his twisted power backing it up. He followed it up with his right, then started into a volley that would've done a boxer proud. Before too long, though, he was finally forced to release Phibrizzo's hand as the heat became too much for him to bear. The mutant staggered a few steps back, shaking his head repeatedly to cool off his mouth.

Phibrizzo hardly even noticed that he'd been struck; like before, any damage done was negligible. "Didn't like the heat, did you?" he sneered, noting that Arnold's skin looked drier than it was a minute ago. "Water creatures don't take kindly to fire. Face it...you may have all the ferocity of a shark..."

"Just because I have a weakness doesn't mean you don't!" Arnold cried, suddenly spinning in mid-air without needing to push off anything. Was it Inuyasha's imagination, or did his teeth suddenly seem sharper? "Shark On Gear...Crush!"

"...but when it comes right down to it..."

As he spoke this, Arnold tunneled through the air itself en route to his target. This time, Phibrizzo braced himself, reached out...and grabbed his teeth with both hands, ignoring for the moment how sharp they were. Phibrizzo's arms began twisting rapidly around each other as he fought to decrease his enemy's RPM. At last, a fully surprised Arnold came to a stop.

"...you have all the brains of a shrimp!"

Phibrizzo's arms uncoiled and burst into violet flames, making them spin all the faster as he flung Arnold over his shoulder and into the ground, several feet away from the net. The impact created another huge hole in the floorboards, sending several pieces splintering.

-------

As he took a few steps backwards, Phibrizzo realized just how tired he'd become. When he'd forced Arnold to release his hand and later added some firepower to his furious Gum Gum Gavel, he'd been expelling energy like crazy. He looked at his fingers, where the punctures caused by Arnold's jaws were sealing themselves. With each 'injury' that healed itself, his eyelids felt just a little bit heavier.

At this moment, sleep never sounded so good.

Phibrizzo's thoughts were broken as Arnold forced himself up. The half-mazoku frowned, not looking forward to a continued engagement...then noticed that the mutant's eyes were rolled back in his head, and that he was making rumbling noises deep in his throat. He's unconscious!

"Unconscious and dangerous," Inuyasha growled. "What do we have to do to shut him up, anyway?"

Curtis took a few steps nearer to the front of his chamber, then smiled. "The answer may be simpler than you think."

What are you talking about? Phibrizzo asked tiredly, unamused.

A sudden bang and a loud thud cut Curtis off before he could answer. Arnold's growling was cut off as he pitched forward onto the floor. The spherical culprit---an orange basketball---ricocheted off him and bounced in the general direction of the exit...where a welcome person was waiting.

"Conan!? What are you doing here?" Phibrizzo blurted disbelievingly, blinking.

"Me and the others were passing through when I saw all those people run out. I gave some excuse to George and the others and went on in," Conan verified, walking closer to the net. Behind him, Sylvia and Nami entered the court cautiously, also. "I asked them what was going on, and they told me a little about Arnold. I should've figured you'd decide to pick a fight."

"'Pick', nothing," Phibrizzo grumbled, looking on as Arnold's appearance gradually faded back to normal. "He interrupted my tennis match with that kidnapping attempt and tried to turn me against the world. I may not be the smartest person around, but I'm no idiot, either."

Nami looked around, noting the dwindling geyser in particular. "You sure did a number on this room. How are they going to repair all this?"

"He's the one that broke it. Why don't you have them sue him for damages? That way you can pay off that construction company."

Phibrizzo couldn't decide if he liked that gleam in Nami's eyes. "Oh, I'll do a lot more than that. Some people back in the United States really don't like him; they'd jump at the chance to have him put in prison, but good. It's a long shot, but have you ever heard of the program 'America's Most Wanted'?"

"In passing," Phibrizzo said. "Why?"

"He's appeared on that program more than half a dozen times in two years. He's been charged with murder, child abuse, thievery...a regular creep. But each time he shows up in court, the case is dismissed due to lack of evidence. When those people hear that Arnold's finally been caught red-handed, they'll start coming out of the woodwork with some of the missing evidence."

Curtis, is it all right if I...well, you know what I mean, right?

Curtis shrugged. "Sure. Go ahead."

Thanks. "I was able to catch some of the details on tape cassette." Nami's face brightened at this. "I can give it to you, if you want. If it ever goes missing, contact me and I'll give you an extra copy."

Nami grinned, excited. "This is great! Between the damages for the center, the fines and his crimes, he'll be rotting in prison for the rest of his life! Phibrizzo, I so owe you!"

"Good...'cause I'm going to have to cash in on that," Phibrizzo declared. He staggered a step sideways, then dropped to the floor. "Could you find a sandwich or ramen shop right now? I'm just about empty."

Everyone almost fell over. "You just got done fighting a walking shark, and that's all you have to say?!" Conan almost shouted.

"You can at least take the credit for beating him down!" Nami snapped mock-angrily, not really feeling like there was any fire in that statement.

"Food first," Phibrizzo decided. "Credit later. I can barely move, my stomach's empty, and I'm hungry..."

At this point Inspector Maguire and several officers entered the room, Kronk close behind them. "Alright," the Inspector said. "Let's take that man---what on earth happened here!?"

Phibrizzo and Sylvia took a look at first the damaged court, then Nami, then each other. Finally, they turned to face Maguire and deadpanned: "You have no idea."

--------------

Location: Kaden residence
Time: Thirty minutes later

In the aftermath that followed, a silent agreement had been made between Sylvia, Nami, Kronk, Conan, and Phibrizzo to not let the police know how Arnold had been subdued. When Maguire questioned them, all Phibrizzo did was hand them a cassette tape; he proved true to his word by giving one to Nami, also. He also suggested that they keep Arnold sedated so that he wouldn't go stir-crazy when he woke up.

Nami and Kronk had gone with the police---and the captured Arnold---in order for a proper report on the case to be filed and to make any extra arrangements. Mercifully, Conan, Phibrizzo, and Sylvia were permitted to leave; the former two because the police believed they shouldn't be involved, and Sylvia because she was asked to look after her son.

Phibrizzo still couldn't believe that she still liked him. In hindsight, he should've expected it; if she could yell at the TV whenever the animated characters did something wrong, then she could laugh off her adopted child having twisted talents.

But on the way home from the center, he thought he could still see a note of disapproval in Sylvia's eyes. For reasons that he didn't understand, that struck a chord inside him as he recalled his earlier conversation with Professor Oak and Richie.

(Cue flashback)

"And why haven't you told them, as opposed to those you have told?" Oak was asking him.

"My foster parents don't need to know," Phibrizzo said, frowning. "I think I may clue in my older friend at some point, I don't know...unless it's an emergency, I won't tell anyone else. I've needed to tell those that absolutely needed to know about it, and a few that are already used to strange things happening...but not my closer family and friends. They're not ready for it; I can't trust them with the secret. I just..." He sighed. "...I don't know how to put it."

"You're afraid that they'll think of you as some sort of monster and turn you away," Richie said, understanding. It wasn't a question.

Phibrizzo slowly nodded. "Right. It sounds weird coming from me, but I don't want to alienate what few friends I have..."

(End flashback)

In spite of what Sylvia and Nami tried to prove to him, he still believed that he came dangerously close to earning a "walking disaster" label. In the past, he cared next to nothing for what others thought of him...but based on what he worked out from Curtis's talk with Dolphin, mazoku---and maybe the dragon race, also---would be forever changed once they were clear of the Lord of Nightmares.

And right now, he didn't care what Dolphin would think. In his opinion, it had been a stressful afternoon. He wanted nothing more than to just lay back against his pillow and brood.

There was a knock on the bedroom door. Apprehensively, Phibrizzo looked that way for a moment before settling in. "It's open."

Sylvia walked in and closed the door behind her. "I called Marcus at the TV station and asked him to pick something up for dinner on the way home. This way, I won't need to cook tonight."

Phibrizzo resigned himself to the inevitable. "You're wanting to talk to me, aren't you?"

"Yes. I just want to get a few things cleared up."

"If this is about the damages at the recreation center, I didn't cause those...at least, not all of them..."

"I'm not asking about that." Sylvia sat down at the far end of the bed. "I'm just wondering why you didn't tell us this sooner. Don't you think it's amazing, being able to do things like that?"

"...Not really," Phibrizzo uttered hesitantly. "When you spend time around a person who's able to cart a giant hammer around on her person without anyone noticing, you lose track of what's neat and what isn't."

Sylvia frowned, shaking her head. "I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear that last one. Why didn't you tell us sooner?"

Phibrizzo sighed. "...I guess I just wanted to blend in with everyone. I thought if I acted like people my age, the average person wouldn't suspect anything. You've seen what happened with Aisha June and her mother. Besides the prejudice, I don't like being hurt emotionally; just because I can't be hurt physically doesn't mean I don't have feelings of my own."

"If you didn't want anyone finding out about what you can do," Sylvia asked, clasping her hands together, "why didn't you hesitate to fight that man? You knew what could've happened."

Phibrizzo's eyes turned towards the bed. "When Miss Nami and Kronk told me about Arnold, something clicked together. I'd felt this way a few times before, but it paled in comparison to what I'd felt today...there's no way I can describe my anger. I just felt so...incensed that a man would do that to his own daughter. I don't know why I was so angry about it."

"I can tell you," Sylvia said quietly. "You're developing your own sense of right and wrong. No person who cared about someone has never felt otherwise." She made sure that Phibrizzo's attention was locked on her. "I want to ask a favor of you. If you do what I ask, I'll give you a few things you might like. Okay, Phibrizzo?"

Blink. "Um, okay. I'm listening."

"I want you to tell me honestly: are you human?"

If Phibrizzo had a heart, it would've stopped upon hearing this. Instead, his eyes widened a fraction. "Why are you asking me? I can't tell you." He leaned forward, resting his arms and head on his knees. "You don't need to know. No one needs to know..."

"I do," Sylvia insisted. "If you're going to be placing yourself in unwanted danger to protect me or someone else, then I want to know. Be honest with me."

Phibrizzo shook his head, but starting talking anyway. It was as if marbles had been let loose from a jar...and they wouldn't quit falling. "Half of me is human...but it wasn't always that way. For centuries I was evil personified, a dark lord of true monsters who craved mass destruction. Three months ago, I felt immense hatred for humanity as a whole...I wanted nothing more than to remove all vestiges of life from the world...at the height of my greatest plan, they appeared: two very strange and unusual people from parts unknown."

His speech became more and more forced as it went on. With each sentence, his voice gained a little more power. "I didn't know this at the time, but they would be stuck with me, helping me avoid a disaster I would've been powerless to prevent...and in so doing, they were somehow able to arrange my survival and departure from that world. They convinced me to give humanity a chance, to blend in and see what life was like on the other side. As an overall result of their actions the darker side of my nature is hidden, manifesting itself in such things as my fire abilities, regeneration, and even teleportation...but no longer having an extensive influence over my thoughts and actions as it had before..."

Phibrizzo's fists clenched. "...but what good are these things if I'm just going to be hated for them?" he exclaimed, straightening on his bed. "I may not have cared about this before, but things are different now! I don't care what Lauren thinks, or what Arnold thinks, or what anyone else thinks! I know what it's like to be looked down on, and I don't want any part of it! Please..." His head dropped a little, and some of his hair fell across his eyes. "Please..."

Throughout the abbreviated account, Sylvia had difficulty believing her ears. A genuine, bona-fide monster? An ancient dark lord with horrendous powers? Not even seeing Inuyasha in person or encountering that dark-skinned cat-girl from the elementary school could prepare her for this. It would've been laughable if he hadn't looked so serious. If she understood it right, Phibrizzo had the whole world---His world, she reminded herself---on a collision course with disaster! If he was that powerful, what could she do, even if his power had seemingly diminished?

"Please..." The voice had softened to a near whisper.

(BGM - Instrumental of "If You Needed Somebody", by Bad Company)

But as Phibrizzo finished, everything about him seemed different. For several fleeting moments he had allowed her a glimpse of his past, what he truly believed, his outlook on life...asking her to judge for herself whether she believed him. For the first time since his adoption, she understood the internal struggle that was being wrought: he was literally fighting his own destructive urges.

"Please..." Phibrizzo managed to choke out.

And in spite of the potential danger he presented, Sylvia was always one to keep an open mind. She didn't see 'evil personified'; what she saw was someone who needed parental guidance.

"Please...just don't abandon me..."

And those words clinched it.

Sylvia reached out and placed one hand on his shoulder, causing him to jerk his head towards her. His eyes were full of disbelief. Sylvia, however, just smiled. "Monster or not, we adopted you. As long as you behave yourself, not destroy anything, and still follow the six o'clock curfew...I think we can arrange things."

It may have been a trick of the light, but she thought she saw Phibrizzo's eyes shimmer. He rolled off the bed, still somewhat in shock. "I just admitted to being half-monster, and you still want to keep me around!? I don't believe this!"

"Nothing's changed, Phibrizzo," Sylvia said, putting her hand back on his shoulder. "What happened was before; what's important are your feelings now. If I can accept your friend Aisha for what she is, I can most certainly accept you."

-----

Phibrizzo still had trouble believing what he'd heard. She'd really take me in as I am...this is a huge risk she's taking!

Quickly, he turned his gaze to the twin chambers where his 'parasites' dwelt. Inuyasha seemed to have dozed off, but his twitching ears and fanged smile indicated he'd heard the entire conversation. Curtis, spotting the light that informed him that Phibrizzo was watching him, paused to wipe his eyes before smiling. "See? What did we tell you?"

Feeling a sudden urge to release his emotions, Phibrizzo clenched his fists and stifled a sob. I can't...I mustn't...I'm not weak...

I'm...

I...

I...

'You don't understand at all, do you? I thought as much.'

Wha...that voice!

'The mazoku side of me...may be what's keeping me alive...

'...but it's the human side of me...that's keeping me going! Their drive to live...in spite of their problems...Compassion, once an illness but now an aid...'

Wherever you are...as much as I hate to admit it...I think I finally understand what you meant by those words...so long ago...

Not bothering to conceal his feelings anymore, the former dark lord allowed Sylvia to take him into her arms. Never before had he imagined that having a caregiver would feel so...right. His transformation on his arrival in Japan had changed him, in more ways than he realized.

For the first time since he could remember, Phibrizzo allowed his tears to flow freely.

-----

Curtis said nothing, instead turning away from the scene and heading for the entertainment center, opening a cabinet and rooting through the tapes stored there. Maybe after dinner, he could celebrate by watching a movie. One thing's for sure...it's not going to be "Jaws". Maybe "The Magnificent Seven", or something like that...

He had never admitted outright to Phibrizzo that getting him to lighten up had been one of his goals...in any case, it would have ruined what the half-mazoku had earned. After all the time that had passed, however, Phibrizzo had safely traversed the lighter side of life without suffering the repercussions. If he maintains his attitude, these dreams should get pretty interesting.

Inuyasha kept quiet as well, still pretending to be asleep. While pleased that nothing bad had happened---he'd secretly feared that someone would have something against Phibrizzo from then on---he wasn't about to make a big deal of it. As long as life went along its normal course, he wouldn't complain.

----

A minute went by before Phibrizzo was able to recover, pulling free from Sylvia's grasp. "I'm alright now," he breathed. "Sorry about that."

"That's okay. I'll be here if you need to talk to me," said Sylvia. "Anything else you can tell me?"

Phibrizzo wiped his eyes. "Just a few of the even stranger things. #1: Because of my bizarre genetic makeup, I don't have an actual skeleton. #2: I'm a lot older than I look. #3: Sugar makes me hyper."

Sylvia blinked. "This will make doctor appointments complicated..."

Phibrizzo chuckled nervously. "You know, mother, maybe we shouldn't tell your husband about this."

"The damages at the center will be on the news tonight," Sylvia said, shaking her head. "There's no way I can hide it from Marcus. Besides, I'm not about to lie to my own husband."

"So much for that...anyway, what did you say you had for me?"

Sylvia got up, made as if she was going to leave, then turned for a moment. "Hold up...just one quick question. That song that was playing a minute ago...where did it come from?"

The trio sweatdropped, although it was Phibrizzo who said: "With all due respect, you probably wouldn't believe me. Let's save it for another time. And please, don't tell anyone about all this!

“I’ll try not to.”

-----

Like she promised, Sylvia had indeed picked up something for Phibrizzo. Having overheard one of his conversations with Conan, she’d learned that he rather enjoyed classical music. The previous weekend while Phibrizzo was gone, she’d gone to a music store and bought a high-quality flute. The delighted look in his eyes was infectious.

“The other thing I got you...well, it’s more for me, but if you like it, you can use it too...” Sylvia confessed, grinning. “A month ago, Mantendo finally released a combination Famicom/Super Famicom system. When I saw it was on sale, I couldn’t resist...um, Phibrizzo? Get up off the floor. You look silly with your face like that.”

“There are 'Masked Yaiba' video games, aren’t there?” Phibrizzo asked, recovering from his facefault.

A nervous chuckle. "How'd you guess?"

Phibrizzo shrugged. "Whatever. Doesn't matter to me. Just let me know when you're finished with it so I can have a shot at it."

Sylvia smiled dangerously. "Are you implying that I'm a video game fanatic, son?"

Phibrizzo returned the look with one of his own. "I'm implying that you're a 'Masked Yaiba' fanatic, mother."

Both of them kept up their expressions for as long as possible, until finally they both started laughing. When one looks like the other, it's hard to keep a straight face for long.

------

Time: Several hours later
Location: Unknown

"...And our top story this evening, the mysterious damages caused at a recreation center in Beika this afternoon. The tennis court there will be closed off until everything is repaired. Police and center employees alike are undecided as to what caused the damages. Testimony from attorneys-at-law Nami Keeler and Jonathan Kronk have stated that a wanted criminal from America was at the scene: one Arnold Long. The man has been arrested for attempted kidnapping and destruction of public property, and will be sent back to America to be tried as soon as court procedures here in Tokyo have concluded..."

The TV image flashed white for a split-second before darkening.

"It doesn't take a genius to deduce what happened there today," the Captain mused, sitting calmly in his armchair. The lights were off, and shadows from the windows masked him from view. "It's been some time since I've last seen Mr. Long. I never thought he had the nerve to return to Tokyo, years after his mutation. He underestimated those that were against him, sad to say. His arrival wasn't a total loss, regardless of his failure.

"The search for my true target is at a standstill, as my agents have been unable to turn up any leads. But as far as my secondary goal is concerned, I now know where to start looking."

The man rose from his chair, pacing calmly towards the room's exit. "Phibrizzo Kaden, let's see what you're truly made of."

-----

Chapter Eighteen completed. Chapter Nineteen soon to commence

Author's Notes

I'd misspelled Kronk's name way back in his first appearance, with a 'u' instead of an 'o'. My mistake.

Arnold is, as you may have guessed after hearing his full name, Arlong. It wasn't a complete rendition; I didn't want him to turn into a complete fishman, so I left out the dorsal fin and the sword-sharp nose. His remaining abilities, however, are in place.

I think this marks the third time Phibrizzo's used Coop's rant. Sense a pattern here?

The line "Listen (to me), and listen good. I'm talking to you" is, with the exception of the part in parenthesis, a Mr. T quotation. Heh, heh...I don't think the average person would want to argue with that guy.

Some time ago, I had a nightmare where Arlong was chasing me around this large house. It would've been a bit scarier if he hadn't used a squirrel as a messenger, but I digress.

I don't endorse blood in fanfics, just for the record, and I'm going to avoid it wherever possible.

Shark on Gear Crush is supposed to be a stronger version of the original. We don't get to see its full power, however, since Phibrizzo stopped it before it could take full effect. And before anyone asks, the 'Gear Crush' weapon from the game Megaman X2 did come to mind, but that was just in name only.

F.Y.I.: RPM stands for 'revolutions per minute'.

Finally, I'd like to dedicate this chapter to my family's cocker spaniel/beagle, Abigail. It's frustrating how things can go so wrong, in just a few short weeks...

Rest pain-free, girl. Good-bye.

February 2004---November 24, 2006