InuYasha Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Sovereign Destiny ❯ Kagome’s Reflections ( Chapter 10 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Sovereign Destiny
Chapter 9: Kagome's Reflections
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or Inuyasha.
 
Story Summary:
A new threat will reunite the Yu Yu Hakusho team once again but this time the stakes are different and much higher. Will the once spirit detective and friends rise to this new challenge or will they prefer to sit back and allow fate to decide for them their place in the worlds?
 
Chapter Tagline:
None of it mattered though. Koenma was not complete; he had made sure personally that he couldn't be and he did all he could to make sure he never would be.
 
Chapter 9: Kagome's Reflections
 
A man and woman watched the events in the living world unfold on their screen in stunned silence. Eventually the man turned to the woman and said, “Unbelievable, simply unbelievable. I can't believe Koenma just did that! Please tell me that this was a part of your plan,”
 
“Well, uh no,” the woman replied as she shrugged her shoulders.
 
“You mean you had no idea he was going to do something this incredibly stupid?” the man questioned skeptically.
 
“No I didn't! Demigods are way too unpredictable and it makes my job way harder than it has to be. If I didn't know you were on my side on this, I would swear this was your fault,” the woman said as she studied him.
 
“Now my dear Fate, you know I want Kagome to be happy as much as you do and that I'm quite mad that Koenma is trying to steal my job. Only I should be allowed to tempt you,” the man said.
 
“Well hopefully this will not delay our plans for too long. Let's just watch for now and see what happens,” the woman said as she leaned back against the man.
 
“As you wish, my dear,” the man said as his hands began to move.
 
“Pervert!” the woman screamed as she slapped the man across his face and stormed out of the room. A man with long black hair, who was walking down the hall, heard the woman's cry and watched her rush out of the room. He took a moment to look inside to see the man unconscious on the floor.
 
He sighed, “The lecher will never learn.”
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
Kagome walked outside and into the surrounding forest. She didn't allow herself to cry until she found a relatively secluded spot where she was sure no one was going to find her. Soon after, Kirara and Karan came to her and snuggled close to comfort her. Petting her beloved demon cats soothed her angst soul and she soon lapsed into thought. It had been four years ago when her brother, who was still a junior in high school came to her with an interesting story.
 
Flashback
 
Kagome was pleasantly surprised when she saw her brother making his way up to her temple. It was the middle of the week and it was unusual for him to make the journey when there was school to go to the next day. She would have been worried that something might have happened to mother or grandfather but he could have called her so she could have went to him and she sensed he was in an excited mood.
 
“Greetings, little brother, what do I owe the pleasure of your unexpected visit,” Kagome said with a smile and a bow.
 
“Hey, stop treating me so formally. You're creeping me out,” Sota said with a laugh.
 
Kagome gently whacked him on the head before hugging him as she said, “Well don't keep me waiting. Why are you here? Let me guess there's a beautiful transfer student…”
 
“No, no, nothing like that really!” Sota said, breaking their embrace and then proceeded to drag her inside to sit down.
 
After sitting down, Kagome watched her brother as she eagerly waited for him to explain, “Okay, there is this boy named Yusuke Urameshi from Sarayashiki Junior High School who is a real punk. Even the high school tough guys are scared of him. You wouldn't believe the kind of rumors going on about him, it's ridiculous. Anyways, a few weeks ago he died saving a kid from getting hit by a car. The boy died at the scene of the accident and yet he is now walking around, alive,” Sota paused to gauge see his sister's reaction.
 
“He was resurrected? Only Koenma could do something like that. Do you think…?” Kagome said, getting lost in thought.
 
Sota continued before his sister's thoughts went back to dark times. “It gave me that notion as well so I decided to track him down and investigate. This boy Yusuke is definitely the next spirit detective. I saw him with Botan and as I followed him I got to see him fight. Koenma's got a huge problem on his hand at the moment. Seems the spirit world vault has been looted and the artifacts of darkness have been stolen.”
 
“That's really not good. If they can't get them back it will give King Yama a reason to attack the living world,” Kagome said very troubled.
 
“Don't worry; I really think it'll be fine, Kagome. Yusuke already recovered two artifacts and is looking for the third. A demon by the name of Hiei has the shadow sword but, from what I've seen, Yusuke will be able to handle him even if he is new. Come on we can go track him down to see how he handles himself. That way if I'm wrong and he does fail we can step in,” Sota said, standing up and reaching out a hand to pull his sister up.
 
End Flashback
 
That day had truly been interesting. The fight with Hiei told Kagome many things but the fact most important to her heart was that Yusuke was indeed the next spirit detective and her key to being able to track Koenma's movements. So she started watching Yusuke and the rest of his mismatched team. It became her obsession much to Sesshomaru's annoyance and Shippo's amusement. The only one who truly understood her enough was her brother and he helped her in any way he was able.
 
Her favorite part about observing them was their interactions with each other. They balanced each other out, making them a perfect team. Hiei was the antagonist that kept them close to reality, Kurama the voice of wisdom, Kuwabara innocents and honor, while Yusuke held them altogether. From the first time they fought together against the Saint Beast's they fell into this mode.
 
Then it was time for them to compete in the dark tournament. She was amazed by how much each of them grew in power in that short amount of time. Of course the only time Sesshomaru had decided to drop in to witness the fights was around when Kuwabara fought Shishi Wakamaru. When he finally left he had Shippo and Sota in tears from laughter over his rant on her foolishness of wanting to train someone like Kuwabara someday and his thoughts of Koenma's choice for the defense of the human realm.
 
 
When Genkai died she was so angry that the Tuguro's team almost died before they made it to the ring but she knew it was none of her business. Genkai had the right to settle her past in the way she thought best and besides, when Team Urameshi won she knew what their wish would be.
 
Kagome was annoyed at Koenma's antics over not fighting. Why couldn't he just tell them he was forbidden to use his spirit energy without permission? Did he really have to go so far out of his way to make the rest of the team think he was weak? She then watched the fight with Yusuke and Toguro in a daze after hearing the deal Koenma made with Sakyo. Sota sat with his arm wrapped around her in a futile attempt to keep her calm.
 
Team Urameshi of course won and time moved on and then there was the reappearance of Sensui. With the threat of Sensui opening a portal to allow demons into the human world she had been unable to observe Yusuke and Koenma. She instead spent her time in the demon realm preparing with Sesshomaru, Shippo, and Koga a way to stop any of the demons from being able to pass through if Yusuke and his gang failed.
 
Kagome was aware of what Koenma might do to prevent Sensui from achieving his goal because he had shared with her his guilt over not knowing Sensui would respond in such a way to the black-black club's actions and sending him on the mission in the first place. She could only hope that Yusuke would be able to handle the situation and that it would not come to that because she knew his father would gladly give Koenma permission to seal Sensui. King Yama knew that Koenma would seal himself with Sensui and he could be rid of Koenma and Sensui in that one move. She knew but there was nothing she could do about it. She had to focus on what would happen if they failed.
 
Once the barrier breach was big enough for them to be able to find it they stationed themselves near enough to watch its progress.
 
Flashback
 
Kagome stared as the swarms of low class demons fought their way closer to the opening. They were like vicious animals fighting each other for an inch of space closer to the opening. Higher, more evolved demons could be sensed around the area bidding their time for they knew enough not to rush into things. The impatient ones would be the sacrifice to judge when it would be safe to precede. Sesshomaru, Shippo, Koga, and Kagome watched in disgust.
 
“Filth, they are a disgrace to demons,” Sesshomaru said.
 
“Are we really planning to just stand here? Shouldn't we start clearing them out? If the barrier is broken they will get into the human realm!” Kagome asked impatiently.
 
“I will not waste my time fighting such weaklings,” was Sesshomaru response.
 
“Besides, Kagome, we don't know how much King Yama can see in this realm. We don't want to give our position away if it is unnecessary,” Shippo told her gently as he placed a hand on her shoulder to comfort her.
 
Kagome was going to shout about how sick she was of her safety always being used as an excuse when Sesshomaru spoke again, “Of course this would not be an issue at all if some female would hand over my father's swords.” Kagome looked at him and could see he was teasing her.
 
In theory Sesshomaru should be able to use the Tetsusaiga now that he had spent so much time caring for the descendents of Rin and Kohaku, Miroku and Sango, and Inuyasha and Kikyo. He was the leader of an informal tribe that consisted of humans and demons in both the human and demon realms and was very protective and possessive of them all. This theory has never been tested since it was decided that both the Tetsusaiga and the Tenseiga should be set apart with the stuff left for Kagome to find in the future.
 
“That stuff was given to me and is rightfully mine. I see no reason why I should give them to you,” Kagome told him with a smile that showed she had no remorse over the issue. This caused Sesshomaru to give a small chuckle. In reality he had no desire for the swords and was happy with where the swords were at but it was a long standing joke with those who remembered the times he had tried to take the Tetsusaiga from Inuyasha.
 
Soon they felt a great amount to energy coming from the other side of the hole that Kagome recognized as Koenma's and realized he was attempting to form a barrier. Kagome's heart filled with fear and had to be restrained by Sesshomaru to be kept from doing anything stupid. She calmed down when she felt the barrier had not been completed but also worried about the reason why.
 
Some time passed and then Hiei's dragon of the darkness flame was sensed when it hit the barrier and dissipated. A short time after, Sensui came through followed by three very angry people out for revenge. Koga was impressed with their ability to fight so well when their hearts were so full of rage. They were able to watch the fight because as soon as the barrier broke Sesshomaru, Koga, and Shippo made their power known to the demons in the area and the fate that would await them if they tried to pass into the human realm. Fear was a wonderful and easy tool to use on the weak that they had no interest in fighting.
 
When Yusuke came through on Puu with Koenma, Kagome was shocked. She could sense that Yusuke's life energy had changed and couldn't understand why it suddenly felt demonic.
 
“He's Mazoku,” she heard Shippo whisper in awe.
 
“He's what?” Kagome asked.
 
Koga was the one to explain, “Mazoku is one of the few kinds of demons that are different when it comes to breeding with humans. Instead of the blood mixing with the human blood where the demon blood would always threaten for control like Inuyasha, the demon blood acts like a dormant gene. It will stay dormant until a descendent is strong enough to handle the demon blood and then something has to activate it like, the most customary way being death.
 
“But Yusuke died before and nothing like this happened,” Kagome said.
 
“He wasn't strong enough then to activate the gene but he must have died again or something else must have happened to cause this change,” Koga explained.
 
“So even if he is Mazoku is he still counted as a half breed?” Kagome asked. When she saw Koga nod she continued, “Then King Yama will not be pleased about this. We better keep a closer eye on Koenma and Yusuke because you know Koenma will not turn his back on a spirit detective.” This was silently agreed on and they watched the rest of the battle in quiet contemplation.
 
End Flashback
 
So she had watched and continued to watch even after Yusuke had been discharged as spirit detective. She watched and waited for the time for her to step out of hiding and back to the side of the man she loved. He needed her help if he felt like he deserved it or not and Kagome planned on giving him what he needed no matter what he said to her or how he treated her.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
King Yama looked at the screens that showed him what was happening in different parts of the living world. He could care less about what he was seeing but it was what he was not seeing that agitated him. His son had been able to hide his tracks well. He could blame himself for this but he preferred to blame the counsel since it was their strong `suggestion' that put Koenma in charge of the direct dealing with the living world. Koenma knew the working of the spirit world a hundred times more than King Yama had ever cared to learn. This was mainly because Koenma was the one to design and execute the system of running spirit world after the barrier was put in place. These reasons and more had made it quite easy for Koenma to disappear, leaving King Yama without a trace or a hope of finding him.
 
Blaming the counsel was an excuse though and King Yama knew it. He just had to admit that his son was incredibly bright and resourceful - qualities that usually would make any father proud but this was no ordinary situation. Koenma had always played with his cards close to his chest and he was winning this round flawlessly. King Yama had tried many things to make sure he wouldn't lose so much control when he decided to finally get rid of Koenma but it seemed his planning was in vain.
 
He hated to admit it but Koenma had made a very efficient system for such an over abundant workload and he had succeeded in messing it up with his execution. All files on cases that might have helped him in his search for his son were destroyed and Koenma had only allowed those loyal to him to work on them. All, if any, information King Yama had on any of the former spirit detectives and their associates was either out of date or plain wrong. He had never considered that Koenma would dare lie to him but he could now see he had misjudged how much his son had feared him.
 
None of it mattered though. Koenma was not complete; he had made sure personally that he couldn't be and he did all he could to make sure he never would. He would find Koenma soon because he knew the only option left to him was to try to contact the counsel. What Koenma didn't know is that his special defense force had the power to terminate such a meeting and, when they did, Koenma's position would be known. Then death would become the least of their worries.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
The afternoon soon fell into evening and Kagome was still sitting in her hiding place thinking. That is where Kurama found her after a long search. He stood there a moment and studied her until finally Kagome turned to face him.
 
“Didn't your mother ever teach you it was impolite to stare?” Kagome snapped at him.
 
“Yes, I believe she tried to but I never did listen to what she tried to teach me,” Kurama responded.
 
“Why are you here?” Kagome asked. She did not like the mischievous look in his eyes. It reminded her too much of Shippo and she was not in the mood.
 
“Everyone is looking for you. You have been gone for hours and Koenma is desperate to apologize. Although I could not say which reason is stronger: his personal remorse or the idea of Yusuke doing the things he has been threatening him with all afternoon. You seem to have already won yourself a very unique place in Yusuke's heart,” Kurama explained.
 
“I didn't mean to make anyone worry. I guess I'm just so use to being alone that I didn't even consider what everyone might think about me hiding,” Kagome said as she tried to stand up only to fall forward. Kurama stepped quickly to catch her. “I guess my legs are asleep from sitting so long,” Kagome said laughing as Kurama gently sat her back down.
 
“Yes I can see that,” Kurama said with a smile as he sat down next to her. Kagome started to stretch in an attempt to return circulation back to her toes.
 
After a minute of watching her, Kurama asked a question as he pointed, “What are those?”
 
Kagome laughed as Karan growled a little over being referred to disrespectfully, “These are my faithful demon cats. The one growling here is Karan and the one sleeping and purposely ignoring you is Kirara.”
 
“I see,” Kurama said, then paused a moment before continuing, “Tell me, do you know Hiei's secret?”
 
“Yes I do and you can tell him that I have no intention of telling Yukina about it unless it causes her harm. It's something he must deal with on his own,” Kagome responded.
 
“Good I have been trying to push him in this direction as well and I was worried my work might have been in vain,” Kagome looked at him and smiled before returning her concentration on her stretches, “and what is it that you think of me Lady Kagome?”
 
His question caught her off guard and she pulled her knees to her chin and studied him in response, “I ask this because I can`t read your thoughts even though you seem so open. This confuses me and…” Kurama stopped when he sensed Koenma approaching. When he spotted Koenma his suspicions were confirmed that his presence with Kagome was not welcomed but he has not going to leave Kagome alone with Koenma after what happened this afternoon. There was just something about Kagome that reached out and touched those around her, causing a desire to want to protect her from all harm.
 
Koenma ignored Kurama and spoke directly to Kagome, “Kagome we need to talk.”
 
 
 
&&Please Review&&