InuYasha Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Sovereign Destiny ❯ Colors of Life – Part II ( Chapter 15 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Sovereign Destiny
Chapter 14: Colors of Life - Part II
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Yu Yu Hakusho or Inuyasha.
 
Story Summary:
A new threat will reunite the Yu Yu Hakusho team once again but this time the stakes are different and much higher. Will the once spirit detective and friends rise to this new challenge or will they prefer to sit back and allow fate to decide for them their place in the worlds?
 
Chapter Tagline:
As they neared the sacred object of Gaia, Yusuke noticed a wolf demon that stood out from the rest because he was, well…prettier than the rest, leaning against the tree and assumed that he must be Koga.
 
Chapter 14: Colors of Life- Part II
 
Kagome's group made pretty good time considering the group consisted mainly of not-so-experienced humans so they soon found themselves traveling through a pretty dense forest that eventually started to thin out. After awhile they came to a gathering of cliffs that were full of caves. In the center of the cliffs was the sacred object of Gaia which was glowing red.
 
The group followed slowly behind Kagome towards the sacred object of Gaia as they took in the sight around them. The cliffs were made of smooth rock and the caves were purposefully placed with stairs and walkways brilliantly carved into the face of the rock. Beyond the sacred object of Gaia there was a magnificent waterfall that went down into a wide river that split to surround the sacred of Gaia before coming together again and flowing out of sight.
 
Wolf demons and wolves could be seen perched on top of the cliffs and strategically around the area on guard duty protecting the wolves, humans, foxes, and those of mixed breeds that could be seen walking around on the sides of the cliffs and by the rivers.
 
“Humans?” Kayko asked, surprise evident in her voice.
 
“Yeah and aren't some of these of a mixed blood?” Yusuke added.
 
“Yes. Does this really surprise you all that much?” Kagome questioned. Kurama and Kayko nodded in the affirmative while Kido, Kaito, and Yanagishawa just continued to look around.
 
“Truthfully I've never really considered the possibility either way that humans could live in demon world or not so I don't know what to think of all this,” Mitarai said, gesturing to their surroundings.
 
“No not really,” was Yusuke's response but when everyone looked at him skeptically he continued, “Okay maybe a little but really come on. I am a half-breed and I've worked for a long time with Kurama, Hiei, and Kuwabara plus all of you guys and the guys who live in demon world. So it doesn't surprise me that demons and humans and even half-breeds could get along, although it is a bit surprising to see it in action.”
 
Kagome smiled at him and said, “Koga's, Shippo's and Sesshomaru's territories are all like this. We are family.”
 
As they neared the sacred object of Gaia, Yusuke noticed a wolf demon that stood out from the rest because he was, well…prettier than the rest, leaning against the tree and assumed that he must be Koga. When they got to the edge of the river, Koga shouted out.
 
“Hey! It'll just be faster if I bring you guys over.” Yusuke then looked around and noticed there were no bridges and that boats were used to get across the river. About this time he heard Mitarai give a startled yelp but before he could turn to see why, Mitarai was across the river and Kido vanished.
 
In a matter of moments, Kaito, Yanagishawa, Kurama, Yusuke, Kayko, and Kagome were in the middle of the river standing on the land that surrounded the sacred object of Gaia. As Koga set Kagome down and the rest tried to get their bearings, Kagome said jokingly to Koga:
 
“You do realize I am the only one who really needs to be over here, right?”
 
Koga stuttered a bit before saying loudly, “Why didn't you say something before I moved everyone?”
 
Well I would have if you had given me a chance,” Kagome paused and looked at Koga suspiciously before continuing, “Why do you seem to be in such a hurry?”
 
“I'm not in a hurry. I have no idea what you're talking about. I am just impatient, you know that,” was Koga's response.
 
“Boy do I know that. Hey where is Ayame?” Kagome asked while looking around.
 
“She's getting some things ready for me,” Koga said and when he saw that Kagome was going to ask more questions he directed his attention to Yusuke.
 
“So you're Yusuke.” Yusuke looked up and met Koga's eyes before Koga continued, “So you're the joker who came up with the whole demon world tournament thing then got beat by Yomi.”
 
Kurama started to laugh which did nothing good for Yusuke's anger, “What….I…you…why I…” Yusuke started before Kagome cut in.
 
“Oh come on, Yusuke, that was a pretty accurate and even generous description of that little stunt of yours. Besides he has every right to criticize considering if things had turned out differently he would have been one of the ones responsible for cleaning up your mess.”
 
“Well it worked out fine didn't it?” Yusuke asked playfully.
 
“Yeah it did but you must hold the record for dumb luck,” was Koga's response.
 
“Yes, I believe he must,” Kurama said to which Yusuke laughed at.
 
“Though I am in no hurry,” Koga said while looking directly at Kagome, “I must insist.”
 
Kagome looked at the direction Koga was pointing and said, “Oh right, we are here for a reason,” and walked over to the tree.
 
She once again kneeled and placed one hand on the trunk of the tree and the other on a root. The tree activated shooting red light into the sky but still continued to glow bright. Kagome stood but before she could say anything Koga was taking the group across the river to the opposite side they started on.
 
“Hey!” Kagome said indignantly as Koga sat her down but Koga cut her off before she could continue.
 
“You should get going to Sesshomaru's. It's a long walk from here.”
 
“But I haven't seen Ayame or any of your children yet,” Kagome protested.
 
“Which you can do next time you're here when you aren't on a mission,” Koga said as he put one hand on her back and the other on her arm and started leading her towards the forest that would lead her out of his territory.
 
“You are in a hurry! What is going on Koga?” Kagome said, trying to get loose from Koga's grip and face him.
 
“Please, Kagome, just trust me and go. It really isn't a big deal, I promise,” Koga said when he felt her struggling.
 
“Oh okay then, but I expect a full explanation sometime,” Kagome said and then sighed in defeat as she watched Koga swiftly disappear in the direction of the caves after letting her go.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
To get to Sesshomaru's territory the group had to do a lot of upward climbing. Kagome explained to them that the reason for this was because Sesshomaru's home was literally built in to the side of a mountain. When they got to the top of one mountain they found that it was a level piece of land that they could walk around on. Kagome lead them to the other side and what the group saw took their breath away.
 
The mountain they stood on went down into a level plateau that was full of wild flowers and grass. On the opposite side of the plateau from where they stood was Sesshomaru's `house', though castle might be a better term. It was an open Japanese style structure made out of some kind of white stone that glistened in the sunlight. It had multiple levels that went up the side of the mountain. A white glow could be seen on the left side from what appeared to be about the fifth level up which most of the group assumed to be the finally object of Gaia.
 
“Come on now, Sesshomaru will not appreciate being kept waiting,” Kagome said and started to make her way down the mountain. When they reached the plateau they found a path that lead through the wild flowers. As they walked, Kayko and Kagome picked random flowers and put them in their hair. When they got close to the entrance of the castle they found a group of women outside sitting in the grass watching a group of children about four and younger play. Kagome lead them all in to the castle, only stopping long enough to wave at the group. Kagome then took them up some stairs that lead to the second floor and stopped before two grand doors that had designs on them depicting a few generations of dog demons done in silver.
 
“As I've said before, we are a family so you can say Sesshomaru is the honored elder of our family. You must show him respect at all times,” Kagome said seriously.
 
“Why, is he one of those demons who get all bent out of shape if you don't address him right?” Yusuke said, not liking the idea of bowing down to someone.
 
“No, but he deserves respect and if you don't give it to him you will have to deal with me. My family comes first,” Kagome warned him.
 
She then opened one of the doors and led the way inside. They expected to go into a throne room and face a mighty demon on a throne or at least something of that nature but instead they encountered more humans. The area was set up almost like a bazaar with stands that held different goods, from blankets to a variety of food, except no money changed hands. Everything was given away for free.
 
“There is so much traffic coming in and out of here it was easier to set up a system such as this to hand out supplies and take care of needs. That way no one needs to worry about who needs what. If you need something you just come here and get it. The food shops are done by certain families that love to show off their culinary skills. They really serve no other purpose than that since we do have main dining halls,” Kagome explained as she led them through the crowd. People were moving by and around them, not paying much attention. When they were about half way across the area, Kagome grabbed a woman by the arm and stopped her
 
“Hey have you seen Sesshomaru?” Kagome asked.
 
“Yes actually just a few moment ago actually,” the woman then turned and pointed to the stairs on the opposite side of the room, “He was going up to the next floor with Ayame.”
 
“Ayame? Okay thank you,” Kagome said before heading to the stairs. They went up to the next floor and were greeted by Sesshomaru.
 
“Welcome little one. From the way the sacred object of Gaia has been acting I would say that Kuwabara has already completed his part of this task. You better hurry,” Sesshomaru's tone left no room for argument so Kagome decided her questions could wait and followed him to the tree.
 
They went up and then out of the building to where the sacred object of Gaia was located. The aura around the tree was pulsating as if it was beckoning someone to release it but when Kagome went to approach it Sesshomaru stopped her.
 
“Wait until Fatima is present,” Sesshomaru commanded.
 
Kagome nodded in understanding before explaining to the group, “Fatima is the keeper of the barrier surrounding Sesshomaru's territory. We don't know what will happen once I activate the tree so as a precaution Fatima needs to be present in case the barrier fails,” after a few minutes a woman younger than Kagome but older than Yusuke ran in. After apologies it was time for Kagome to activate the tree.
 
She knelt down and placed her hands in the same manner as she had done before. As soon as the white light went into the sky the tree started pulsating, green, blue, yellow, red, black and then finally white. After the white light pulsed it stilled then shot out surrounding them in blinding light. Yusuke instinctively grabbed Kayko pulling her close as Sesshomaru grabbed Kagome pulling her away from the tree as numbness took them.
 
&&Scene Change&&
 
Soon the numbness started to fade as did the light. Once Kagome's eyes adjusted she looked around. She felt a hand holding her arm and looked up to see Sesshomaru standing protectively behind her with his other arm stretched out to help Fatima stay standing. To her right she saw Yusuke holding Kayko, Kurama, Kido, Kaito, Yanagishawa, and Mitarai. To her left she saw Kuwabara, Shizuru, Hiei, Yukina, Genkai, Botan, George, Koenma, Sota, Shippo and Makoto. Before she could ponder on where they were or how Kuwabara's group got there a fimalar voice called out.
 
“It's good to see that you're still very protective of what you consider yours, brother.”
 
“Inuyasha,” Sesshomaru stated as he let go of both Kagome and Fatima. The rest of the light faded out of the room and everyone could see they stood in the middle of what looked like a senate of kami. Inuyasha, fully human, stood just a little ways in front of them.
 
“Inuyasha!” Kagome called out before rushing forward and hugging him. He hugged her back before she moved on, “Sango, Miroku, Kaeda, Rin, Kikyo, Kohaku,” she cried out as she gave each of them a hug. By the time she was done Inuyasha was near tears from laughing so hard.
 
“You better appreciate what you've been given,” Inuyasha said seriously as he stared down at Koenma while still laughing.
 
“Inuyasha, please we don't have that much time,” Miroku said, bringing everyone's attention to him, “King Yama's special defense force has the power to end this meeting and there are certain things that must be said. One of which is that we, in the full power that has been bestowed on us as kami, have decided that it is time for a new king to reign. With this being said we will now remove our blessing from the current king and, once you have completed the task of taking your rightful place as king, we will give that blessing to you.”
 
“You mean you will accept me as your king?” Koenma asked in awe. Kagome moved to him threw her arms around his neck to give him a hug.
 
“That's what the man just said silly,” Kagome said laughing.
 
“The only one here who has ever thought otherwise was you,” Inuyasha told Koenma. Just then everything shook.
 
“It seems our time is up,” Kagome heard Sango say before things started to fade and the bright light returned. Koenma tightened his grip around Kagomes waist.
 
“Koenma?” Kagome said questioningly suddenly very afraid to let him go.
 
“Kagome don't let go,” she heard Koenma command and she could tell he was feeling the same fear, “Kagome please don't leave me again,” She clung to him as tight as she could and wished she could get her voice to work enough to tell him she wasn't leaving by her own choice but she could feel she was going to.
 
“I'm sorry,” was all she could say as she felt the numbness start and Koenma was taken from her arms. The last thing she heard was Koenma calling out her name as the numbness fully took her.