InuYasha Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ AGainst All Odds ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto or Inuyasha, or any of their affiliated characters. They respectively belong to Masashi Kishimoto and Rumiko Takahashi. Full credit for these wonderful characters and worlds, belong to them! I am however using Naruto, Sakura, Bankotsu, and Kagome {along with various others} for my own twisted enjoyment. The plot line of this story and all of its little twists however, I do take full credit for!

A/N: First order of business: I apologize for keeping everyone waiting for so long. I've been pretty swamped lately with the home schooling, house cleaning, visits from relatives, and getting the first of my 3 original novels ready for publication.

So, I won't be updating my fan fics as often as I used to. At least not until my first novel is completely ready to print, but I will update when I can. I will not abandon my fanfics, but my novel and family must take priority.

I am updating this one today though, so enjoy.

Now without further delay, on with the show!

--

Chapter Five:

Sakura said, "That goes back at least five generations," with shock evident in her face.

Naruto listened to the Kyubii speaking inside him and blinked. He faced Kagome and asked, "So, you are a priestess?"

Kagome replied calmly, "Yes I am. Why do you ask?" Something was different about this boy, but she just couldn't figure out what.

She couldn't read his aura like she did with others… almost as if it was a mixed aura like Inuyasha's… but different. She eyes him carefully and thought, 'This guy is human, but not at the same time… he's not like other humans….Why can't I get a clear reading of his aura?'

Unused to having trouble reading someone's aura, her slender hand ran through her hair in slight frustration. She cringed as her hand ran through the slime in her hair and said, "Look, I don't want to seem rude or anything, but this chat is going to have to wait until I'm clean." making a disgusted face as she stared at the muck on her hand with a hard frown.

Bankotsu stared at Yamato and Sakura and demanded, 'What were those strange powers that you used? Adding, "Why did your hands glow?" as he stared at Sakura.

Yamato replied seriously, "We used a combination of our Chakra and our Ninjutsu."

Sakura added, "The glowing hands, was because of my chakra." staring directly into his sapphire eyes.

Kagome cleared her throat loudly and said, "Excuse me," slightly irritated, while tapping her foot impatiently.

Naruto chuckled a bit amused by her. Sakura blinked and said, "Oh right," and ran inside to retrieve her spare outfit.

Bankotsu frowned and asked, "So what is this Chakra stuff anyway?" staring at Yamato.

Yamato calmly explained, "Chakra comes from two places. One: the body energy inherent in the trillions of their cells and two: the mental & spiritual energy gained from exercise and experience."

Bankotsu frowned and then asked, "So what exactly is it?" still a bit confused.

Yamato calmly explained, "It is a combination of physical and mental energies in the body. Physical energy drawn from trillions of cells that make up the human body, and the mental energy gained though experience and by training the body."

Bankotsu rubbed his chin thoughtfully and asked, "So then basically anyone with the proper training could use it, right?"

Yamato explained further, "To perform a jutsu, the ninja will bring out and release these two energies. The amount of chakra required for a technique will vary depending upon its size and complexity. Each ninja has the potential to better utilize an elemental Ninjutsu style."

Bankotsu raised an eyebrow questioningly and asked, "So, how exactly does this all work?"

Yamato replied, "Once created, chakra moves throughout the body in a manner similar to the circulatory system and is delivered to one of 361 chakra release points, performing a sequence composed of any of twelve different hand seals. Chakra can then be manipulated to create supernatural effects, such as walking on water, using lightening attacks, or healing wounds."

Bankotsu blinked, "So it can damage things or heal them, eh? Plus make the earth move and stuff?"

Yamato explained patiently, "Through various methods, the most common of which is hand seals, the chakra can then be manipulated to create an effect that would not be possible otherwise, such as walking on water."

Bankotsu whistled impressed and asked, "Is it all just one type of chakra?" curiosity now fully piqued.

Yamato corrected, "Actually, there are five elemental chakras. They are fire, water, air, lightning, earth."

Bankotsu frowned and asked, "Then what about that building that rose from the ground?" pointing to the four-pillar-house.

Yamato explained, "Using water and earth simultaneously leads to a whole new element- wood. That's an element that only I and the first Hokage could use, from our village."

Interested in the many possible benefits this new method presented, Bankotsu asked curiously, "So about how long would it take a person to train how to harness and properly use their chakra?"

Yamato replied seriously, "Ninjas are trained from the day they can walk, how to use and harness their chakra. They often do not complete their training until around their early to mid teens, when they go for their exams. Depending on the progress they have made, they may or may not go up another rank."

Bankotsu cringed at the thought of another thirteen or more years of training and said boredly, "Never mind, I think I'll pass on that." waving a hand in the air to dismiss the subject from his mind.

Kagome added meekly, "Yeah, me too." Not wanting to spend the next decade or longer in more training.

Sakura exclaimed triumphantly, "Aha, found it!" and walked back outside passing her spare outfit to the girl as she said, "Here this should fit."

Kagome smiled accepting the clothes with her clean hand and said, "Thanks, before spinning on her heel and walking towards the water."

Wordlessly Bankotsu followed her, leaving the ninjas to stare after them in confusion.

--

By the basin:

Kagome rounded on Bankotsu and informed him, "You stay on the other side of the tree and don't you dare let me catch you peeping, or else I'll give you a shock you won't forget." Adding, "I may not be able to purify you anymore, but I can still send a jolt into you that will make you hurt just as much."

Bankotsu scoffed, "Psh, like I'd even want to look." Assuring seriously, "Believe it or not Miko, I have no interest in your body." turning his back to her.

Insulted she huffed and began storming towards the water, muttering under her breath about how he'd looked at her chest the other day and was now insulting her.

Sending a scowl to make sure no one was spying, she huffed muttering, "That jerk has some nerve," before undressing and diving into the water, beginning to scrub herself clean.

She bemoaned having no soap and sighed shoving her hand into the sand at the bottom of the basin figuring that it was better than nothing, and began scrubbing the coarse sand all over her naked body and in her hair to remove the demonic muckiness.

--

Bankotsu sniggered to himself as her verbal tirade continued, and he sat with his back against the tree pondering their current situation, while running his hand over the blade of his treasured weapon.

He sighed heavily thinking, 'This chakra and the possibilities it presents do sound interesting… but not enough for me to devote that much time training to.'

His mind turned to the pink haired girl and his hand absentmindedly rubbed jaw as he thought, 'Damn that girl sure can pack a punch.' Smirking he thought impressed, 'I'll definitely have to face her in combat one of these days, to test just how strong she really is.'

He released a heavy sigh, while stroking his baby affectionately and thought, 'Speaking of which… what am I going to be about those people?' adding a bit irritated, 'I know that damned miko isn't going to want to leave now that we've come across some humans… I on the other hand am not going to just blindly trust them and drop my guard! So, what should I do now?'

--

Kagome had surfaced from washing out her hair, when a pink glow emitted from her chest and reflected in the water. Her brown eyes widened as she gasped, "What the hell?! That's impossible."

Bankotsu's eyes saw the glow and he frowned asking, "How can that be?" staring at the glow he recognized and thought, 'I know that power… It's the power of the Shikon Jewel!'

He jumped up and went around the tree demanding, 'What the hell is going on here Miko?!" as he saw her chest glowing.

She squeaked in surprise as she seen him standing there and her arms flew to cover her chest as she dove into the water and yelled, "Bankotsu you damned hentai, stop looking!" eyes narrowing at him.

Bankotsu snorted derisively and said sarcastically, "It's a little hard not to notice when a girl's chest is glowing." Adding, "So how the hell did that thing get here?" pointing at the jewel inside her chest.

She glared at him and said, "Hell is I know." Adding, "It must have returned somehow."

He frowned puzzled and asked, "Huh? What do you mean returned?"

She sent him a scathing glare and growled, "Get the hell back behind that tree so I can dress and I'll explain it to you." pointing to the tree.

He sighed and rolled his eyes muttering about girlish modesty and did so. He sat down huffily and waited.

She climbed out and dressed quickly, staring down at the strange attire and thought, 'At least this way no one will be able to see my underwear.' Before walking to the other side of the tree and saying, "It's a long story."

Bankotsu scowled reminding, "It's not like we're going anywhere any time soon." He pointed to the ground beside him and said, "Sit and spill it."

She sighed and rubbed her temples saying, "I'll just start at the beginning."

He nodded agreeing, "Yes, you do that." waiting impatiently for her to begin.

She took a deep breath and began explaining about how the jewel had come into existence and then explained how the jewel had come out of her body when she had first met Inuyasha.

When she was finished explaining, Bankotsu frowned and said, "So, let me see if I have this straight? That jewel was inside of your body when you first fell into the Feudal Era through a well at your family's shrine?"

She nodded. He asked, "And you shattered it into billions of pieces and had to team up with the mutt to collect them?" She nodded again.

He scratched the back of his head and asked sheepishly, "And now somehow it's returned inside your body once more?"

She nodded adding, "I have no idea how… Maybe it's because I'm the guardian of it and it followed me because of that?"

He tilted his head thoughtfully and said, "Hm maybe." Adding seriously, "Given what Naraku did to get a hold of it, there is no way you can let that happen here in this time."

She sighed heavily and said, "I know." Adding dejectedly, "And now I'm on my own guarding it without any help."

He frowned and said, "What am I, chopped liver?" Smirking he said, "We're stuck here together remember?"

She said, "Yeah, " not following his line of thinking yet.

He reminded seriously, "That bastard Naraku used me and my brothers to get those shards, remember?"

Her eyes filled with sadness as she said, "Yes, and many others like Sango and Miroku."

He said seriously, "We may not like it, or each other much for that matter, but Miko, it's your duty to guard that jewel."

She growled, "I'm well aware of that." glaring at him. "I don't need to be constantly reminded about my duties."

Bankotsu chuckled guessing, "Mutt was always hounding you about it, eh?" She nodded curtly.

He said, "Look, maybe we were both dropped her for a reason." Sighing heavily and not believing what he was about to suggest.

She asked, "What reason could there possibly be for that?" staring at him confused.

Bankotsu took a deep breath and said, "I've seen firsthand how much destruction people will cause to get that jewel." Adding, "Humans and demons alike." She nodded and a hand unconsciously went to cover her chest.

Bankotsu sighed and said, "It's not like I have anything better to do, and I'm not about to let what happened to my brothers happen here as well!"

Her eyes widened and she asked, "Bankotsu, are you suggesting that- ?"

He cut her off answering in a resigned voice, "What I'm saying Miko, is that whether we like it or not, I've been made your protector."

Her eyes widened and she asked in disbelief, "Why would you do this?" knowing it was very unlike him.

He replied bluntly, "To keep anyone else from suffering the way Jakotsu did." with sadness in his usually unreadable eyes.

She notice d the emotion in his eyes and said, "You must really miss him, huh?"

He shrugged and said, "Yeah," Adding, "He was the one person I knew would never betray me."

Kagome said, "I'd be a fool not to accept your offer." Staring at him.

Bankotsu stated firmly, "My protection comes with a price and it's not negotiable."

She asked hesitantly, "What kind of price?" staring into his eyes.

He decreed, "The rules still stand. You have to do exactly what I say, when I say it, without arguments!" Seeing the defiance begin to grow in her eyes, he pressed on, "I can't protect you and the cursed jewel to the best of my abilities, unless you absolutely obey my instructions."

She opened her mouth to say something, but was cut off with a stern glare from him. He said, "I understand that you're feisty natured and have a mind of your own, and believe it or not Miko, as much as it annoys the hell out of me, I also respect that."

She smiled and he said in a voice brokering no arguments, "You're one of my team now and that means that you will obey my orders to the letter!" Reminding a bit cockily, "I was the leader for more than my good looks," grinning at her scowl. He finished seriously. "I was the leader, because they trusted my judgment and my experience. The guys didn't always like my orders either, but they understood that I was doing what had to be done in order to keep them all safe."

He smirked adding, "At times they downright hated my over bearing leadership, but they appreciated my protection and camaraderie as well."

He stated gravelly, "I've had a hell of a lot more experience than you have with battles. I know what to expect and I won't steer you wrong. I will protect you and that jewel you've been charged with guarding. All that I ask in return is that you obey my orders and show me the respect that I deserve, both as a person and as your leader."

She blinked a few times. "He added, I used my strength to keep the guys in line. With you I'd rather not resort to that." Adding disgustedly, "Never did approve of a man abusing a woman."

She blinked surprised and then asked, "So how then?" not sure that she would like his methods.

He smirked and is eyes filled with mischief as he said, "I have my ways."

She said, "I expect to be treated with respect as well." Adding, "I won't just let you bully me around. I didn't with Inuyasha, and I'm not going to with you."'

Bankotsu's eyes narrowed and he warned, "Don't ever put me and that mutt in the same sentence again." spitting out 'mutt' as if it were a curse.

He watched her eyes widen and said, "Look if you do as I say, then we will have no problems. Just remember I have more experience in battles and the ways of the world then you do."

Adding seriously, "Not only have I done, but I have also seen many things that would give you nightmares for the rest of your life."

She debated her situation and sighed heavily knowing that she really didn't have much of a choice. She released another heavy sigh agreeing, "Okay, but remember Bankotsu, we're a team now." staring him dead in the eyes.

He nodded and his signature smirk crossed his face. "Listen to me, Kagome, your Miko powers are not at their fullest potential yet," he informed her dead seriously.

She blinked and asked, "How do you know?" staring at him in shock.

He smirked and replied, "You said that you had been training with Kaede. You also said that you were learning as you traveled with the mutt." She nodded.

He replied, "I can't train your miko powers, but I can train you on stamina, speed, and hand to hand combat."

She blinked asking, "Why?" staring at him unsure if it would really make that much of a difference.

He replied seriously, "If you improve your stamina, and speed, it will improve your strength over all." Adding, "The hand to hand, is so that you don't have to rely on someone else to save you, if you end up in close combat."

She nodded and said, "Okay, so when do we begin?" as they rose to their feet.

Bankotsu smirked and said, "We start right now." and had her get down doing twenty five each of sit ups and pushups, just to keep from being bored, he did them with her.

By the time they had finished her arms were shaking and burning and her stomach felt like it was on fire.

He smirked and said approvingly, "Not bad for a first session." She panted too worn out to even glare at him.

After she caught her breath, they stood up and walked back towards the ninjas, who had been holding their own meeting.

--

A/N: Okay, so that's chapter five. I hope you all are enjoying this story! XD

Preview for the next chapter:

Team Kakashi have finished discussing the newest development and send word to their Hokage that they've decided to investigate the stranger's more thoroughly after their current mission.

Bankotsu announces that they are taking their leave, and team Kakashi heads out on their mission. Kagome's training continues with Bankotsu's rather… unique methods.