InuYasha Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ AGainst All Odds ❯ Chapter Seven ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto or Inuyasha, or any of their affiliated characters. They respectively belong to Masashi Kishimoto and Rumiko Takahashi. Full credit for these wonderful characters and worlds, belong to them! I am however using Naruto, Sakura, Bankotsu, and Kagome {along with various others} for my own twisted enjoyment. The plot line of this story and all of its little twists however, I do take full credit for!

A/N: Again sorry for the long wait. Things are getting hectic here. Enjoy the chapter. I'm getting excited; soon we will finally break from the cannon events and go the way this story is meant to! Then, you are all in for a nice surprise! XD

Japanese Terms:

Tsuchi Betsuri - Earth Separation

Mokuzou Burijji – Wooden Bridge

Chapter Seven:

Bankotsu woke Kagome before sunrise. "Here," he passed her a hollowed coconut shell filled with nuts, berries, and smoked fish.

She blinked. "Thanks." Kagome began eating and her stomach rumbled.

Bankotsu ate his food and stood up. He noticed the dark haired, quiet guy moving around outside the makeshift house. "Be ready to leave, in ten minutes."

Kagome nodded and finished her meal, glad to have a no longer grumbling stomach and quickly moved towards the water to wash her face and hands. She picked up her quiver and bow and then faced him. "Ready."

He nodded and hefted Banryu to his shoulder. His brows furrowed and his free hand went to his chin. His eyes looked as if he was deep in thought.

He frowned and stared at the Miko. "Kagome, I want you to pay extra close attention to the blond during their simulation today. See if you can find out a bit more about his aura."

Her eyes widened and she nodded. "Everything okay?"

He snorted and sent her a 'You've got to be kidding' look. She sighed and muttered, "Oh right, sorry."

He poked her nose grinning and said, "Don't worry Miko."

She blinked and stared at him, but he had already turned around staring where the house had disappeared. 'So they're ready eh?'

He faced the girl beside him. "Stay right beside me Kagome."

She nodded and they watched the others start moving. Bankotsu nodded and they set of to follow the first group.

They stopped at a clearing big enough to suit their purposes and Yamato used a hand sign. "Tsuchi Betsuri No Jutsu." His hand slapped the earth and the ground shook until there was a yawning canyon, still widening as he moved his hand apart.

He made another quick series of hand signs."Mokuzou Burijji No Jutsu!" he slammed his palm to the ground and watched as the wooden bridge make its way across the wide opening between the pieces of earth.

Bankotsu watched from up in a tree with Kagome and muttered, "Damn if that isn't something useful." He huffed. "Too bad it takes so damned long to learn all that Chakra junk."

Kagome giggled. "Aw it's okay Bankotsu." She pet his head like you would to calm a dog."

He snorted and slapped her hand away. "Watch it Miko." His cobalt eyes narrowed at her.

Kagome rolled her eyes. "Gee, someone's cranky."

His eyebrow shot up and he stared at her.

She sighed and pursed her lips. "Oh fine then, be a kill joy."

He slapped his forehead. 'Why do I feel like I'm dealing with a child?' He mentally rolled his eyes and pointed at the group of ninja below. "Just watch them."

She huffed and they turned their eyes back to the other group.

The Blond and the dark haired paled skinned one were both crouched behind a boulder, watching the bridge.

Naruto huffed. "So where is the signal already?"

"So Blondie is impatient, eh?" His eyes twinkled with amusement. 'He really is like that impertinent puppy.' Bankotsu chuckled at his mental observation.

Kagome shot him a strange look, and then returned her attention to the simulation. They watched a wooden hand rise with a thumb up.

Naruto said, "That's the signal." and jumped out from behind the boulder with Sai right behind him, running zigzags so close that Kagome expected them to trip each other up.

Bankotsu and Kagome leapt to another tree, where they could have a good view and continued observing.

Her eyes widened and her mouth created an 'O' when they not only didn't trip each other up, but seemed to be working together.

Blue and brown eyes widened as a sphere of energy appeared in Sai's palm, while Naruto's fingers moved rapidly.

She said,"How… weird."

Bankotsu asked, "What do you mean?"

She replied, "The energy, that's Naruto's aura in the ball on Sai's palm.

Bankotsu's brows furrowed. "Are you sure?"

She nodded.

They watched as Yamato made a hand sign and seemed to blur for a second.

Both of the observers had puzzled looks as they watched Naruto dive at Yamato and take him down.

Sai's ink snake slithered off the paper below them and they got wide eyes. 'What the hell?' Bankotsu stared at the dark haired boy and noticed him leaving.

Sakura ran over. "Oi Naruto, that's not Captain Yamato."

Naruto's yells ripped through the air as he demanded for Sai to let him lose.

Bankotsu snorted. "I can't believe someone is stupider than that mutt."

Kagome planted a hand on her hip and growled, "Bankotsu, watch what you say about Inuyasha." She poked his chest sending a tiny zap of Miko energy through the tip of her finger.

Bankotsu's eyes widened and he yelped as the pain shot through his chest and disappeared.

His jaw clenched and his eyes narrowed. "Oi Miko, watch where you point that damned thing." He used Banryu to push her finger away.

She huffed and flipped her hair facing away from him. "How?" she whispered, watching as Sakura grunted and ripped the ink snake apart.

She slapped Naruto upside the head. "Come on, they can't be far."

He rubbed the side of his head and pouted. "Ow Sakura, that hurt."

She rolled her eyes. "Quit complaining. Let's go."

Naruto gave her a cheesy grin and said, and they ran off.

Kagome blinked a few times.

Bankotsu scooped her onto his back. "Hang on Miko."

She blinked again and then closed her eyes to keep the wind and her hair from making them sting, as he began hopping through the trees rather quickly. Too much wind went by to let her hear anything else.

When they caught up to Sakura and Naruto, Sai was untying Yamato.

Captain Yamato said, "Good job capturing me Sai."

Naruto huffed and glared at Sai. "Sai, you jerk!"

Sakura stared at Sai calmly. "Settle down Naruto."

Yamato announced. "Simulation is over." His hands clapped together. "Release." The bridge disappeared and the earth shook as it moved back together. He stared at Sai. 'Tsunade Sama's worries may not be unfounded after all.'

Bankotsu grabbed a tree and wrapped his arms around the large base as the earth shook until it returned together seemingly as if nothing had separated it. When it was over, he hopped out of the tree and landed on his feet, with Kagome clinging to his back slightly shaken.

He rolled his eyes. "You can get down now."

She blinked and he lowered her to the ground, nearly dropping her on her backside.

She glared at him. "Oi! You don't have to be so damned rough you know."

Bankotsu's shoulder lifted in a careless shrug and he waved off her nagging. Kagome pouted when he tuned her out and walked over to Sai.

Their eyes met and held for a long moment, as Sai tuned out Naruto's complaining. Bankotsu said, "You're smarter than they think."

Sai gave him a fake cheery smile and said. "Not really."

Bankotsu snorted, and then blinked when Naruto pushed over and swung Sai to face him.

Sai asked calmly, "Something wrong?"

Naruto growled. "Where the hell do you get off tying up a teammate, and then running off alone?" His blue eyes showed flames on annoyance as they glared at Sai.

Sai stared at him. "Please don't blame you incompetence on others."

Naruto's fist curled. "What the hell do you mean by that?"

Calm as ever, Sai replied, "It's not my fault that you pulled a bone head move that Captain Yamato saw through instantly. Because of that, he used a substitution Jutsu and escaped into the forest, forcing me to reveal myself."

Naruto stared at Yamato for confirmation and Yamato gave him a single nod.

Bankotsu grinned. Kagome watched tense as the two teammates argued.

Naruto demanded, "Then why didn't you release the snake, if you knew it was a fake?"

Sai responded. "It isn't wise to fight while protecting someone who lost his cool. I did it to keep you from blowing the mission."

Naruto's jaw clenched and he growled, glaring daggers at Sai. His fist clenched Sai's Jacket before he released his hold. Naruto turned on his heel and said icily, "I will never acknowledge you as a comrade, or a member of Team Kakashi." With that he walked away.

Yamato sighed. "I guess these two just won't work together after all."

Sai spoke up. "What would Sasuke have done? Would he have fought protecting you? He's a comrade and teammate to you, right?"

Naruto's spine stiffened and he thought about it. 'Sasuke would have done the same.' He concluded with a heavy heart.

Kagome and Bankotsu frowned. 'Who is Sasuke?'

Sakura winced. 'This isn't good… Naruto won't tolerate much more of this.' She watched anxiously.

Sai continued to goad Naruto. "If you can call someone who betrayed his village and hurt you… a comrade, that is." His normally calm eyes zeroed in on Naruto.

The birds and bugs went silent. All the animals seemed to freeze as if they too could sense the thick tension in the area.

The air nearly sizzled from the angry sparks shooting between the two. Naruto's muscles clenched attesting to how tightly coiled he was getting.

Sai faced his back with a haughty look in his eyes.

As Sai's words registered, Bankotsu muttered under his breath, "What the hell is going on here?"

Kagome's eyes softened and her heart went out to Naruto's plight. 'Oh Naruto, how awful."

Sakura's fist clenched to the point her veins popped up a tiny bit, as her green eyes narrowed at Sai. Tempted as she was to hit him, she waited anxious to see how Naruto was going to react first.

Yamato tensed as he watched Naruto's fist clench tighter. 'This isn't good.' He moved to make a hand sign, but paused as Naruto spoke.

"If it's to save that comrade," he turned around shooting Sai and icy stare. "Then I'll do whatever it takes."

Everyone around him, except for Sai, released the breath they had been unintentionally holding. Naruto took a deep breath to calm himself. He stared directly into Sai's black eyes. "I'll even team up with you."

With that, he turned around and calmly walked towards his bag.

As Said watched the hothead walking away, he asked puzzled, "Why? Why does Naruto feel so strongly about Sasuke?"

Bankotsu stood observing and said, "Good question."

Sakura replied calmly, "It's because thinks of Sasuke like a brother."

Bankotsu's eyes widened, and then filled with sadness. 'Like a brother huh?' His jaw clenched.

Sensing that he was upset, Kagome gently laid a hand on Bankotsu's arm, in silent assurance and whispered, "Are you okay?"

Bankotsu stared at her and quickly masked his face, but not before she caught a glimpse of the pain that had filled his eyes. Waving her off, he scoffed, "I'm fine."

Kagome removed her hand and stared at him. "I'm not buying the tough guy act. Yu have a heart, and it can break same as everyone else's."

Her words crashed against the walls of his guarded heart. Their eyes locked and held a minute, before he gave her his signature smirk. "I'm a mercenary, Miko. Mercenaries don't have hearts."

She sighed shaking her head. 'Yes you do.' Knowing that her pity would only infuriate him, she bit her tongue and turned her attention back to Naruto, who looked sad and lost as he bent down to pick up his bag and stare off again. 'Poor guy.' Her heart clenched at the obvious pain Naruto was trying to hide.

Sakura said, "You have a brother, right? Then you should have some knowledge of how Naruto feels right now."

Said replied, "No actually, I wouldn't. I have no emotions." and sent her his fake smile.

She frowned. "What do you mean?"

He stared at her with a blank look. "Exactly what I said."

Bankotsu's eyes widened slightly and he muttered, "So that's it eh?"

Kagome stared at him puzzled. "Huh?"

Bankotsu waved her off. "Never mind."

She frowned and watched the group.

Sakura said, "even so, you should be able to imagine what it would be like to lose your brother."

Sai gave her the fake smile and said. "You could say that. My brother is dead after all."

Bankotsu thought, 'I had figured as much.'

Kagome's eyes bugged out.

Sakura faced Sai. "Then you should- "

Said watched Naruto and cut her off. "I wonder if I should have looked like that?"

Sakura stared at him thinking, 'Is he serious?'

"I didn't know what kind of look to make when my brother died." He stared at Naruto curiously.

Yamato clapped his hands. "That's enough chit chat for now. We're moving out soon, so get your things." He crossed his arms watching the two teenagers closely.

Sai moved to walk away, but Sakura spoke up. "Sai, normally, I'd have beaten you into the ground back there."

He stared at her blankly. She reminded, "I told you I wouldn't hold back if you talked ill of Sasuke again, right? But I didn't do that… because Naruto said that, because even though you insult Sasuke, Naruto said that he would work with you if it meant saving Sasuke." She clenched her fists and jaw, before continuing, "No matter what kind of guy you are I must not hurt you if it means saving Sasuke."

"However, If you upset Naruto like that again," She stared him in the eyes, all pretenses gone and warned seriously, "I'll pound you into a bloody pulp." She sent him a fake smile. "And that's a promise." Her eyes flared showing her anger briefly.

Bankotsu's eyes widened as he recognized the seriousness of her threat. 'Wow, I'm glad that isn't me she's pissed at.' briefly fluttered through his mind, and a wide grin spread across his face.

Kagome's body stiffened as she stared at the girl with pink hair. 'Wow, she almost reminded me of Bankotsu right there.'

Her eyes darted to Naruto and she watched his shoulders sag, before he said, "Everyone, let's get going. All of this will mean nothing, if we don't make it to the bridge by tomorrow afternoon.

Kagome wanted to run to Naruto's side. Bankotsu scowled keeping her in place, by grabbing her arm, when she moved to go to the blond's side.

She stared at the warrior holding her arm and sighed lowering her eyes to the ground and scuffing a rock.

Bankotsu released a heavy sigh. 'She really does have too big of a heart sometimes.'

Sakura ran to Naruto's side and they started walking ahead of the others. Yamato shook his head thinking, 'Why me?' He and Sai followed them.

'We have to learn more about this group and what the hell is going on.' Bankotsu grunted and he and Kagome followed the group, carrying their weapons and supplies.

Preview of the Next Chapter:

Open with a brief stint of the trip to the bridge and some of Bankotsu's thoughts. Everyone arrives at the bridge. They discover who the informant is, and Orochimaru makes his appearance.