InuYasha Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ AGainst All Odds ❯ Chapter Nine ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto or Inuyasha, or any of their affiliated characters. They respectively belong to Masashi Kishimoto and Rumiko Takahashi. Full credit for these wonderful characters and worlds, belong to them!

I am however using Naruto, Sakura, Bankotsu, and Kagome {along with various others} for my own twisted enjoyment. The plot line of this story and all of its little twists however, I do take full credit for!

A/N: I am sorry for the long delays between chapters. Between the crazy summer we had {back and forth 130+ degree days and flash flood warnings} and the many birthdays around this time of year, I don't get much time to work on my novels, yet alone my fan fics. Nor to watch ainimes.

Without further delay, here is the next chapter.

XOXOXO

Chapter Nine:

Kagome opened her mouth to yell, but Bankotsu's hand covered her mouth and he pulled her against him. His eyes never left the strange group on the bridge. He hissed into her ear, "Quiet or you will give us away."

Her eyes widened and she nodded.

He slowly removed his hand from her mouth.

Kagome gasped as she watched the demonic energy surround the blond boy's body, clothes and all, and take on the shape of something like a fox.

Bankotsu's eyes widened and his breath hitched. Banryu's handle pulsed in his hand. He stared at his weapon and frowned. 'What the fuck is going on here?' His eyes returned to the bridge.

Kagome and Bankotsu watched in shock as the energy flared out sending both of the strange boy's companions leaping back to keep from falling into the ravine as the bridge where they had been standing busted into splinters.

They watched the bridge rock from side to side as Naruto leapt into the air and swiped at the tall pale man's cheek. This sent the man flying into the trees many miles back, leaving a line of fallen trees among the thick forest.

Not used to seeing that kind of strength used by anyone but a full demon, Bankotsu frowned.

Kagome trembled as she whispered. "It's like the angrier that Naruto guy gets, the stronger the demonic energy becomes." She turned to Bankotsu with a pale face. "And he is getting angrier by the second. The energy is literally encasing him in some sort of cocoon and feeding off his anger."

Bankotsu's jaw clenched. "Can you tell how strong the demonic aura is?"

She shook her head. "I don't think there is an end to its power." She whispered, "I've never encountered anything like this before." The jewel inside her pulsed as her spiritual powers reacted to the demonic ones.

Bankotsu swore under his breath. "Me either." He sighed heavily. Banryu pulsed again and he blinked. 'Huh? Why is Banryu reacting like this?'

Her voice quivered. "That's not all. That snake guy is already approaching," She pointed toward the other side of the bridge and they watched stunned as the tall pale guy walked out of the trees.

Bankotsu slipped his arm around her waist. "We need to get a closer look." The tree they were in rocked and. He jumped to the ground and they made their way towards the boulder the others had hidden behind.

Deciding it was useless to watch without being able to hear, Bankotsu rose to his feet and settled Banryu on his shoulder. "Kagome, stay right next to me at all times and don't use your miko powers unless I say so."

She nodded and her hand tightened on her bow. She kept pace with his longer strides as he slowly made his way to stand at the edge of the bridge.

As he had predicted, their appearance garnered a quick glance from the unknowns and then the pale guy returned his gaze to Naruto.

The pale guy held his hand over his face, which looked half melted off. He started reminiscing about his earlier experiments. Halfway through he removed his hand and showed his flawless face.

Kagome blinked. 'He's healed, but how?'

Bankotsu's jaw tightened. 'So he's a demon as well eh?' His shoulders tensed as he felt the tension in the air increase. His voice was low, but firm. "Get ready to throw up a barrier around you and me."

She blinked and nodded.

"Use as little power as possible so as not to advertise it, but make sure the barrier is solid."

She frowned but did so, slowly gathering the needed energy while trying to mask it at the same time.

"More importantly, let's see who has become stronger. Naruto or my Sasuke?"

Naruto roared, "He doesn't belong to you, so don't talk like he does~" The air around him became hot and very unstable. It was as if a mini vortex was coming from his body. Three tails now adorned the back of the energy fox.

Bankotsu and Kagome both tensed and prepared for the inevitable explosion. They braced their feet wide and bent their knees. Bankotsu held up Banryu to block most of the energy, heat, and wind coming towards them. He braced one side of his body behind the blade for more effectiveness. But they were still able to watch everything that happened.

'It appears this 'chakara' is more powerful then I first suspected.'

The trees behind them creaked and swayed.

Bankotsu watched the sides of the bridge around Naruto crack and bend from the sheer power of the energy surrounding the strange boy. 'He has this much power and yet he allowed pink hair to hit him?' He frowned. 'Why?'

Kagome blinked and waited for the right moment to cast her barrier. 'What on earth is happening here?'

Sakura shivered just enough that Bankotsu noticed it. 'So she feels it too, eh?' He made a mental note that every time this 'Sasuke' was mentioned, the boy grew even angrier.

'This Sasuke must be an interesting guy to cause such a commotion.' He smirked. 'Maybe I should meet this Sasuke and see for myself why they are so determined to get him back.'

Bankotsu watched as the pale haired guys hand glowed and the guy started running toward the enraged boy. He snorted. 'Bad idea dude.'

Bankotsu's eyes widened as Naruto turned his head and opened his mouth, to emit an energy blast. It blew the bridge apart.

Kagome gasped and quickly threw up her barrier to avoid the recoil of the blast.

Bankotsu smirked. 'She's getting better.' He stood firm as the barrier protected them, but still allowed them to watch what was happening.

He chuckled as the pale haired guy flew past them to the side and into the trees. 'Damn the boy's power sure is impressive. But it's also dangerous if he's not the one controlling it, and I don't think he is, not right now anyways. He's too pissed.'

Kagome gasped as she watched the guy fly past them and winced. Her eyes went back to the bridge where Sakura had been knocked unconscious and was sliding down the broken bridge.

Bankotsu heard her gasp and stared at the unconscious girl. "Relax Kagome, she is in good hands." He inclined his head to where Yamato was making his hand signs.

They watched him slap his hands together and felt the tell-tell rumbling as wood grew from the ground to brace the bridge from underneath.

Sia opened his scroll and began doodling.

Yamato noticed this. "Sai!"

Sai wordlessly finished his drawing and used his jutsu to bring it to life. He leapt off the side of the bridge.

"Sai, save Sakura!"

Sai ignored his captain's order and purposefully had the ink bird swoop to the side with its wings closed and climb upwards.

Bankotsu snorted and his eyes narrowed. 'So I was right… that guy is up to something.'

Kagome bit her lip and wanted to run to help the girl.

Bankotsu felt the girl beside him shift. "Stay put! Let her leader handle it."

They watched as Yamato slapped his hand to the ground. The ground shook and a wooden spiral caught Sakura.

Bankotsu nodded. "Remember Kagome these people know what they are doing. They have the advantage here."

She bit her lip, torn between dropping her barrier and helping them, but kept her barrier in place.

He nodded and watched Yamato bring Sakura to the solid ground. Once Sakura was safe, he watched the ink bird hover over the trees on the other side. 'What is he up to?'

Smoke filled the sky and the trees under the bird exploded. The ground on that side shook. The bird flew up away from the blast.

Bankotsu frowned. 'Damnit I wish I knew what the hell was happening on that side.'

Kagome's eyes stayed on Sakura as Yamato freed her from the wooden spiral and held her in his arms as he knelt on the ground. "Sakura, wake up!"

Sakura's eyes slowly opened.

Yamato sighed in relief. "Are you okay?"

Sakura smiled. "Yes, sorry. I'm okay now."

Her eyes took in the devastation of the bridge. "What happened?"

Yamato sighed. "Naruto did it."

She gasped. "Naruto…?"

Yamato spoke calmly. "He's on the other side of the bridge… with Orochimaru."

Sakura gasped.

They both stared back over at across the bridge.

Bankotsu moved his weapon to rest in its usual spot and smirked. 'Things are about to get interesting.'

Kagome sighed relieved. "Good she's okay." She focused on keeping the barrier up and masking her powers.

Bankotsu nodded and stared across the bridge. "If only we could see what was happening."

They watched awed as Yamato had a wooden clone come out of him. They blinked and watched the clone use the wood jutsu to surf over to the other side.

Bankotsu blinked. "Nice trick. I bet that comes in handy."

Kagome blinked and nodded.

"Keep your barrier up a while. We still don't know what's happening, but I can tell you it's not over yet."

Just as he finished speaking, another explosion rocked the ground on the other side of the bridge. She watched the wood clone erect a wooden barrier.

Bankotsu watched the ink bird splatter. 'Heh serves the traitor right.'

They watched trees blow over the barrier on the other side and tumble into the abyss below.

Bankotsu whistled. "That's some power."

Kagome's breath hitched and she strengthened her barrier a tad. She shot a sideways glare at the mercenary. 'Gee you think?'

They watched the wooden clone disappear into the trees and heard Yamato swear under his breath.

XOXOXOXO

A/N: Okay, there is the next chapter. Enjoy! XD

Preview for the next chapter:

Enraged during his battle with Orochimaru, Naruto unknowingly hurts Sakura. Bankotsu and Kagome start taking a more active role in things.