InuYasha Fan Fiction / Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Of Retribution and Passion ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I claim no ownership of Naruto or Sengoku Otogizoushi - InuYasha. InuYasha belongs to Takahashi Rumiko, Shogakukan, Viz Media, ShoPro Entertainment, and Shounen; while Naruto belongs to Kishimoto Masashi, Shueisha, Viz Media, and Madman Entertainment. No copyright infringement is intended with this purely fan-made crossover, especially since no money is being made from this.


~ * ~ * ~


Title: Of Retribution and Passion
Chapter Two


~ * ~ * ~


The contrast between night and day was strange in Konohagakure. During the day, streets were full of people and a content busyness that filled the air. Yet once dusk fell until after dawn had risen, everything was quiet. Peaceful. Solitary. It was usually in the pre-dawn darkness that they caused most of their mischief when they were still children, and still had that innocent air. When she was younger, it was also the time she spent helping her older sister gather herbs and flowers for the village. They all had loved the solitude of the dawn. That was, of course, when they were younger.

Now, she found it oppressive. Her steps echoed heavily through the streets that had once been filled with echoes of laughter as she made her way to the memorial stone. There were times in her childhood that she could recall running through the streets at this time, her arms full of flowers as she ran to the apartment she shared with her sister, and her sister's fiancée. Yet now, those same flowers weighted down her arms as her hands tainted the white petals, red.

She was glad she managed to sneak out of Shippou's apartment unnoticed. It would have been too hard trying to tell him where she was going, and if he tagged along, it would have been just that much harder. Ten years (though she was loathe to admit, it was truly closer to eleven years as Kouga had informed her. She had never been good at math) had passed, and she had many people to pay respects to. Some were ones she had not honored for a decade, while others, she just learned of their passing.

Her breath caught in her throat at seeing a familiar figure standing in front of the memorial stone. For a second, in the pre-dawn darkness, she could've sworn she saw Inuyasha, before she realized it was just Kakashi. She didn't know what hurt her heart more: seeing that he wasn't Inuyasha, or knowing that he was there.

"I wondered when you would make a trip out here, Kagome-san."

She smiled sadly at hearing the same deep, bored tones of his voice that he possessed even as a child. Memories of the past didn't stop her from walking forward to stand beside him. "I wasn't expecting to see you here, Hatake-senpai... Are you paying respects as well?"

Kagome knelt down and placed her bouquet of white flowers in front of the stone bearing the names of all those who had fallen in battle. It had gotten longer since the last time she had viewed it, but no one became a shinobi with expectations of living a long life. She lifted her head to glance at Kakashi when he didn't answer her question.

He was still staring at the names engraved on the stone. Like many others in Konohagakure, and every other hidden village, they had both lost many dear friends. And many of them were mutual friends between them. His chuunin team had consisted of Rin and Obito, with the Fourth as their sensei, and after Obito's death, they split up. A year later after Rin became a jounin, she found herself as the sensei of a cell called Team 4: Inuyasha, Kagome, and a new genin, Shippou. Kakashi often helped Rin out with their training and that was one way they came to know each other. The second way was through Sango. Her genin team had consisted of herself, Kakashi, and Maito Gai. And she knew Sango through the chuunin exams. It was strange how they were all connected together and how that connection only intensified when their sensei, Rin and Sesshoumaru, took a liking to each other.

Sighing softly, she found her eyes going back to the memorial stone and finding those names. Sesshoumaru. Rin. Inuyasha. Obito. They all had been lost due to mistakes and accidents. It was almost funny how the smallest slip-ups could have such fatal consequences.

"They wouldn't want you blaming yourself, you know."

Her head snapped back over to him to see him glancing at her, boredom evident in his eye. That was one thing that always annoyed her about him, ever since they met when she had been fourteen and he, fifteen. She was the only person he always regarded in that lazy, bored manner. "Try taking your own advice before preaching to me."

And as she expected, he didn't reply. He had always been that way to her, and she never could figure out why. No one else would tell her either, not even Sango. She wanted to start new with him, not have the same strained, argumentative relationship they had, had so many years ago. "I'm sorry, that was rude of me, Hatake-senpai. Shippou tells me you always come here... I'm glad."

"For what?"

"That someone was paying them respect because I couldn't. I wanted so many times to come back here, and talk to them. To just see their names, but I couldn't. I have a feeling you honored them enough for the both of us, and for that, I'm glad," she smiled brightly up at him, not understanding when he turned away quickly from her.

Sighing, she stood and brushed the wet grass from her knees. "What have you been doing over the past few years?"

"Few years? I was under the impression you were gone for longer than that," she saw his only visible eye crinkle, and knew he understood that she wanted to start anew. They were different people now, after all.

Kagome sighed dramatically, "Don't you start too, Hatake-senpai! Kouga's already gotten on me about my bad math skills!"

"Perhaps you should take it as a sign to work harder."

"Don't say those words!" She hid behind him, gripping his flak jacket. "You might cause Gai or Miroku or even Sango to appear and drag me off for their version of 'training'!"

Kagome could've sworn she heard him chuckle before he continued to walk forward, causing her to release her grip. "You might benefit from it, since I don't think you've used any of your ninja skills since you've been gone. I bet you couldn't even last five minutes against my genin team."

For a brief moment, Kagome stood dumbstruck. Had he just invited her to a warm-up session and even answered her question? Was it possible for him to change that much? Yet she wasn't one to kick a gift horse in the mouth and quickly ran after him, yelling, "You're a jounin sensei!?"


~ * ~ * ~


She watched the younger girl's moves through narrowed eyes. Though the mask covering her face made it difficult to take in everything, she was only concerned with the woman. It had been so long since she last fought alongside her, and she needed to know where her skills stood. As many had been lost in the Sound Invasion, she knew that as soon as a new Hokage was chosen that the young woman was going to be put on many missions. No matter how out-of-practice she was.

That's why she was watching, taking in every move and hand sign she did. Training had never been the younger woman's favorite thing, but it would be necessary if she wanted to live. She wouldn't always have the luxury of being on missions with old friends who knew her weaknesses and could make up for them. It seemed that while she may just be rusty, her body and hands still remembered the skills and signs.

Standing up, she unhooked the tremendous boomerang from her back and gripped it with one hand. She watched and waited for the perfect opening to throw the boomerang at her without harming any of the genin. Seeing it, she unleashed her primary weapon with a cry of "Hiraikotsu!"

She watched as the other woman froze in shock, not believing the cry she had just heard. If she hadn't seen Kakashi move, she would have been worried for her safety, but Kakashi pushed her to the ground in time for her boomerang to pass harmlessly above them. Giving a silent sigh, she jumped out of the tree she had been in and easily caught her boomerang on its return trip.

"Really, Kagome-chan, I thought you'd duck even after how much time had passed," her mask hid her smile at seeing Kagome push Kakashi off her and glare towards her. It had all been worth it to see the slightest blush on Kakashi's face.

"You're so mean! Yet I'm not at all surprised that's how you greet me," Kagome huffed and crossed her arms.

"Excuse me," the female genin spoke up, "but do you know Kagome-chan?"

Kagome turned and smiled at the girl, "Don't worry, Sakura-chan, she's a very old friend of mine. In fact, she was on your sensei's genin team, that's how old she is." She had whispered the last part to Sakura, but everyone could still hear it.

They heard the woman sigh in indignation as she strapped her boomerang back to her back, and it only caused Naruto to laugh harder as everyone else snickered.

She turned away from the group and brought a hand up to her ear. Their laughter faded as they recognized that something was happening. "Understood," she said before turning back to Kagome, and Kakashi's genin team. "It appears I have good timing. Naruto, you're wanted immediately at the Administration Building. Jiraiya has a mission for you to accompany him on."

Said boy sighed heavily, "What's that ero-sannin want now?! I was so looking forward to spending time with you all!"

"I'm not sure, Naruto, but it sounded rather urgent. I am sorry the news has ruined your plans. And Kagome-chan? I have a few things for you."

Kagome smiled at Naruto, "Looks like we're both being called away... Thanks for letting me train with you!" She said before bowing to Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke, and Kakashi. They looked at her strangely, not understanding why she would bow to them. No one in a hidden village bowed, it was a stupid move that left one open to attacks. When she straightened up, she noticed their confused expressions. She rubbed the back of her head and smiled apologetically, "Sorry... It's a custom in my home village… Guess I gotta kick that habit…”

"Kagome-chan," the ANBU woman called back to her, waiting for her to catch up. Which Kagome did barely a second later. "You've changed a lot since you've been gone, Kagome-chan."

She only smiled up at the dragon mask hiding her face from her view, "And you haven't changed a bit, Sango-chan."


~ * ~ * ~


Crimson eyes filled with devious intentions watched the events going on in Konohagakure through a mirror. A young albino woman dressed all in white held the mirror and was using her chakra to show him whatever he asked of her. She was in bondage to him, and found she couldn't really care. All that mattered was if her sister continued to stay by her side.

"Show me her... I want to see her close up," her master said and she obliged him.

No expression crossed her face as the image on her mirror swirled and became a close-up of Kagome's face. His pale fingers caressed her face and traced the eyes that were too blue to be that of her sister's.

"I know she passed it down onto you, miko-chan," he whispered before angrily slashing his fingers across the surface, disrupting the chakra flow and causing the image to disappear, "and I will have it!"



~ * ~ * ~


Sorry for the long wait for this chapter, but I hope you all have enjoyed this chapter as much as the first one! Don't be afraid to review and let me know what you like and/or dislike about this fic.

Reviewer Responses:
Yue no Rei: lol, it's just not a Naruto fic unless it has some hints of Naruto/Sasuke! And I will definitely reveal what happened in the past as the fic goes on more and more. I hope you enjoy this chapter as much as the first one!

touketsumizu: I'm glad I got you interested in a Naruto/Inuyasha crossover! I mainly read and write IY/YYH crossovers myself, but I just couldn't help but try writing a fic like this! And thanks for reviewing!

HeartStar: Sorry for the long wait, but I hope this chapter was worth it! Thanks for leaving a review!