InuYasha Fan Fiction / Princess Tutu Fan Fiction ❯ The Duck and the Jewel ❯ The Old Well House ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
The Higurashi Shrine was spacious and well-kept, its buildings in good condition and the god-tree lovingly cared for. It was also drowning beneath a flood of words. Fakir cast his gaze around the shrine and felt them whisper across his skin: the promise of an unfinished story. It started off soft and sweet but then went inexplicably awry. And try as he might, he could not find the source nor the reason why. There were too many words.

This tale, he realized suddenly, was one that transcended the centuries. But where did it begin, and what did it have to do with him?

"Quack," Duck said emphatically, and wriggled out of her hiding spot in his bag.

"Duck!" he hissed quietly. Helpless to stop her, he added, "Don't get into trouble!"

"Quack!" She flapped her wings wildly in an attempt to get his attention.

Fakir knew better than to ignore Duck's instincts. The source of her excitement was a small outbuilding, located a short distance from the rest of the Shrine's structures. He came closer to investigate, thinking that perhaps he might find what he was searching for within its walls.

The door was ajar. Hoping he was not trespassing, Fakir opened the door and stepped inside. It was darker and gloomier than he had expected, and he suspected he might even find cobwebs in the corners. He had entered onto an upper level; in front of him a short flight of stairs led down to the ground level, which was several feet lower than the rest of the shrine, where a small old-fashioned well had been carefully maintained. Standing on this precipice, feeling the words grow twisted and distorted where they should have flowed smoothly, Fakir inhaled sharply.

"Here," he breathed. "It began here."