InuYasha Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Garou ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Garou [means Hungry Wolf] - this first bit was a touch of introduction, the importance of which will be revealed later in Garou. It is set 10 years before the Kenshin manga/anime storyline.
thoughts
amplified thoughts/meanings
_______________________________________________________________________
Year: 1867 [year before 1st Captains Okita Souji's death, 2 years before the main/original Shinsengumi units were broken up]
"I do not understand how you can eat that," the voice, smooth in a fashion that served in raising the hairs along the back of one's neck as instinct forewarned of barely concealed threat in the low-toned voice, tore at wandering thoughts and lifted azure tinged eyes to the speaker.
Standing, one long fingered hand raised to keep the flap of the traveling tent from bashing against the other's frame while the opposite hand had settled with old confidence at the other's waist... close enough so that if the need should arise either of the two swords resting within their sheaths could be used in battle without unnecessary movement to reach them to begin with. It had been raining for the better half of the afternoon and well into the growing evening hours and the drizzle had darkened the once sky blue tinged hoati-like jacket until it was a deeper azure coloration, making the ropes which encircled the other's torso in a vague X-shape seem even a purer ivory white in contrast. The dulled lighting past the other's frame... reflecting from a handful of torches or maybe even a fire site... only served in amplifying a haggard sort of appearance which came with been a Captain in battle and in doing so made features more hollow... giving the other a sharp, almost lupine, appearance.
An appearance only amplified by the feral glint of amber... wolfish... tinged eyes.
"Daidai peel helps with the lungs." The claim might work if the plate was empty.
Though the peel was bitter... horrible enough to feel as if one devoured a lime instead of something colored a deep orange hue as was right for an 'orange' fruit... the doctors which served had insisted that eating the dried peel would help in releaving the heavy 'wet' feeling that filled lungs and made it harder to breathe. It had been a sickness which had been worsening throughout the seasons, barely noticeable during the heat of the summer and alternating from an irriating cough to something that was almost crippling through the months that happened to mark the transition from spring and fall and well into winter. As it was, though it was middle of summer edging into fall, the rain had made the illness nothing short of torture and made travel something of a hassle... it was beyond irriating, frustrating even, but if the others thought the same they had not voiced a word.
It was one of the rules of the loyalist Shinsengumis... and which they clung stubbornly to... that if the leader of any given unit was to be mortally wounded in a fight, than all the members were to stand and die. Such had been seen numerous times throughout and one of the reasons why the units were small, composed mainly of elite soldiers, for if they were destined to die then at the very least they could make considerable damage to those that were destined to be their enemies in battle. And though the twinned blades... a katana and a wakizashi which had once been wielded with phemonial speed so as to strike three places almost instanteously still rested within easy reach of the bed... had yet to taste the blood of an opponent in a few months it was because of the fact that those whom were loyal to the 1st Command hadn't decided to simply usper the position and continue onwards with their given 'tasks'.
"And you were actually foolish enough to believe them, little one?" The 'nickname' came from the fact that though widely feared for been a prodigy in swordplay, there was no denying that the 1st Captain happened to be one of the smallest members of the Shinsengumi... enough that some said could be mistaken really from a woman instead.
Lips twitched slightly, barely fighting down the smirk at the other's dry-toned voice. There was a darker undertone to the voice for Hajime Saito was not someone to curb his temper, or make known his disgust of others that were incompendent. The other older warrior sorely lacked them in disguising the fact that he believed the doctors were nothing more than fools who had no idea as to what they were doing and as this sickness, which forced blood from the lungs in some of the worst coughing fits, had yet to lessen it was more than possible. Nothing said to the 3rd Captain, whose quick intelligence made for a much more dangerous fighter than even his lupine expression suggested, was bound to change the other's mindset or for that matter teach Saito to be more... discret in his annoyance.
Even as this thought wondered through a mind bored with been isolated in the tent, azure tinged eyes watched as the other Shinsengumi captain released his hold upon the tent's flap allowing the fabric to slid close behind with a muffled russle of wet cloth sliding against dry cloth and causing the tent's interior to darken briefly before eyes readjusted to the dimmed lighting of the single lamp by the bed. It also sealed off the noise of lesser soldiers moving back and forth and the patter of rain which had yet to let up since this afternoon. In the dulled lighting though the other's frame seemed to be lankier than usual, tall and slender and easily reaching close to six feet in height... however despite the slender frame though the other happened to be in possession of some monsterous strength coupled with the necessary dexirity and endurance needed as a means of making the other's personalized sword technique, Gatotsu, so effective in battle.
But then strength wasn't everything in the field of battle... though only 5'4'' the phenominal speed that was necessary to make use of the personalized technique, Mumyo-ken or as some called it Sandanzuki, when feeling better could so readily compliment the 3rd Captain's more brutal fighting style.
Swallowing down the urge to respond, knowing it was only going to ruffle feathers when they all returned to the head-quartering base in Mibu, hands reached out to grip the bowl and place the elaborately patterned bowl beside the heavy mass of blankets... that is before turning back to the other. "Don't just stand there, Hajime. Sit."
___________________Character Viewpoint Change________________________
It wasn't a command, the other never 'commanded' fellow Shinsengumi members of Captain ranking as used a sly manipulative nature... hidden well by a 'gentle' mannerism which was protrayed well in the other's still 'childish' nature though have been a Shinsengumi member, a prodigy, for years... as a means of getting others to comply. It was not an order as it was more of a suggestion that could be easily ignored... and given the reputation that surrounded him Saito knew that the other Shinsengumi Captain would have thought differently if he was to turn around and step back out but there was no point in doing that. Even if it wasn't raining... though the tent's overhanging ledge that surrounded the front of the tent supplied some protection he could still feel the dampness in the air brushing against his bared forearms... he had resigned himself to visiting the weakened 1st Captain long before.
The illness which afflicted the other, which the doctors claimed to be tuberculosis though none of the treatments which worked for others seemed to do much in easying the other's troubled lungs and weakening endurance, was only getting worst with the lengthening of summer into fall and if this recent turn of events was any clue would be worst by winter. Though many of the lesser soldiers protested he had silenced their protests... unfounded as they were. Though the 'stop' could be considered unscheduled it was necessary as doctors applied all sorts of bizarre medicine as a means of trying to lessen the rattle within lungs that were weakened from a child's bout with lung-illness and which had only gotten worst through the years of constant fighting... the lack of good rest and food was the glaring problem, but nothing promised to change soon.
"Here." But even if the other was suffering so it didn't affect almost frightening speed of the reflects that made the small, 5'4'' fighter, such a threat in battle. The bag of candy, the other possessed a sweet-tooth that any child would be jealous of, was snatched out of the midair though the 'here' was barely a warning before the fist sized bag had been thrown. With the 'treasure' in the other's grasp, clutched almost possessively as it rested overtop of the heavy mountain of blankets, bright azure tinged eyes flashed with pleasure as the 1st Captain delved into the treat with all the zeal of a child.
It was amazing that the other could squeak out the sentence between digging for some other treat amongst the growing mess on the blankets. "You want some, Hajime?"
"I don't like sweets."
"Oh right... Daidai?" If not for the slight quirk at the corner of lips he might have thought the other dead serious, the expression passively neutral. Waving away the plate of dried 'bitter' orange peels, if it wasn't a jab at his standoffishness he would be surprised, he settled himself into a comfortable sitting position beside the other's bed.
Inexplicable camaraderie... that was what some of their fellow Shinsengumi Captains said... about their assoication. Certainly given the difference in temperaments one would have thought battles would be more common place than him coming to keep the 1st Captain company during the night.
As it was the other was playful, even michevious, who thrived off of childish enjoyments such as sweets. He on the other hand had heard many of the rumours which surrounded his presence in the Shinsengumi... closed off and quiet, many believed his persona was that of a spy rather than one who truly believed in the Aku Soku Zan [Slay Evil Immediately] motto... even if that was to include some of his own 'colleagues' who had become corrupted by greed and other such ideals. Truth be told Hajime found that he really didn't care what the others thought... if he wanted he could make himself more 'agreeable' to his colleagues than he might feel guilty in disposing of them once they wavered from the Shinsengumi's way of living.
Or maybe the reason why he tolerated the 1st Captain wasn't because the other wasn't intimidated by his presence, only Shinpachi could say the same but then they were all roughly seen as equals in swordplay, as it was more the younger Shinsengumi unit-commander knew when he preferred quiet rather than be harassed by others who wanted answers, or had questions, or wanted his assistance. The quiet within the depths of the dimly lit tent now was actually 'soothing' compared to the rumbling that was going on in the camp site and helped in settling his own mind, the sleep which had been evading him since rumour of the Battousai having struck again... killing off a number of important officials in the region surrounding Edo itself... making itself more predominately known now that he had a chance to 'relax'. In time he would enact Ako Soku Zan against the rogue assassian but he would not act while the 1st Captain was sick like this.
"Hajime," the voice... soft and as effeminate as the other's slender 'feminine' frame... was as effective as breaking his thoughts as if the other had begun one of those crippling coughing fits. "Gankona ookami [stubborn wolf]."
"Kitsune gaki [fox brat]." Even if the grumble was a protest to been called stubborn, it was true but he didn't like the reminder from a fellow captain, there was no real... anger... to the response. The figurative winds were changing carrying with it the unmistakable the scent of blood, the death of this era was almost painfully obvious as the rouges became more obvious in their antics. Soon... maybe too soo... the Shinsengumi would no longer be needed.

Converting /tmp/phpCDJaaM to /dev/stdout