InuYasha Fan Fiction / Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Three Days In Tokyo ❯ Three Days In Tokyo ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Standard disclaimers apply:

Inu Yasha and all related characters are property of Takahashi Rumiko and Viz.

Rurouni Kenshin and all related characters are property of Watsuki Nobuhiro and Shounen Jump.

Three Days In Tokyo

By

koinekid

Summary: After exposure to the stomach acid of an ogre carrying a shikon shard, Kagome and Inu Yasha pass through the Bone Eater's Well. Finding themselves in late nineteenth century Tokyo, they must defend Kagome's ancestors and the Sunset Shrine against a vicious attack. Fortunately, they receive help in the form of the legendary Hitokiri Battousai and his companions.

* * *

Chapter 1

The silver-haired hanyou descended at a tremendous speed from the apex of his vertical jump. He held his sword, the mighty Tessaiga, high above his head, and despite his obvious fatigue, Inu Yasha allowed a tiny smile to curl his lips as he announced his attack, "Kaze no kizu!" The sword never made contact with the flesh of his opponent, a fifty-foot tall ogre with malevolent crimson eyes and skin as black as a moonless night. But then, the kaze no kizu attack did not require physical contact. Inu Yasha's hyper-keen senses, inherited from his youkai father, allowed him to discern the exact spot that a youkai's spiritual energy intersected with his own. By directing Tessaiga's swing at that spot, called the wind scar, he could send a massive wave of energy hurtling at the youkai's most vulnerable spot, easily finishing it off. So powerful was the technique that a single swing could slay one hundred youkai. Consequently, despite the ogre's size, taking it down would be no problem.

Higurashi Kagome chewed the tip of her index finger, the nail having retreated too far back for her incisors to grasp. Inu Yasha had proven capable of taking care of himself. She had no reason to worry about him, but that didn't ease her tension. She bit into the nail of her middle finger just as a pair of tiny arms wrapped around her neck. A sharp inhalation caused a tiny piece of nail to break off and enter her mouth.

"Look, Kagome," cried the tiny kitsune that had just hopped into one of his favorite positions, dangling precariously from the girl's shoulders. "Inu Yasha did it."

Kagome coughed as the bit of fingernail scratched her throat. "Hai," she said, "He did."

She started forward to congratulate Inu Yasha, but blinked in surprise at the absence of any light. In her apprehension, Kagome had forgotten the ogre had appeared shortly before dusk. And apparently the kaze no kizu had coincided with the last rays of sunlight. By the time the light from its energy dissipated, night had fallen.

"Damn it!"

"Inu Yasha?" Kagome called. She bit her lip. She thought she detected pain in his voice. She scanned the area where he should have landed. His silver hair should have stood out even in the dark. "Where are you?"

"I'm over here."

"Where?"

"Right in front of you."

Kagome sighed in relief. Inu Yasha's tone was more annoyed than pained. "I can't see you."

"Keh."

"Well, some of us don't have cat eyes like you."

"Cat eyes!? You insulting me?"

"Osuwari!"

Inu Yasha cried out. He really was in pain.

"Shippou," Kagome shouted, "Use foxfire to light up the sky. Quickly!"

The kitsune obliged, illuminating the night. It was brief, but long enough to show a clear path to Inu Yasha, and to show why she couldn't see his silver hair. Kagome cursed her stupidity. How could she have not realized tonight was the night of the new moon-the one night every month that Inu Yasha's youkai blood receded and he found himself transformed from a silver-haired dog-eared hanyou to a raven-haired human? She was at his side in an instant.

"Why the hell'd you sit me?"

"Sorry." Kagome laughed nervously. "The rosary always flashes when I give the command. I thought I could use it to find you."

"Eh?"

"You never noticed?"

"Nope. I'm usually too busy eatin' dirt." The hanyou smirked, and then winced with pain.

"Ohhh…your leg."

"I'm fine," he snarled, pushing himself to a sitting position as the subduing spell wore off. He tried standing, but thought better of it as a new wave of pain shot through his leg.

"What happened?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

"Humor me," she said, her voice betraying the ebbing of her sympathy.

"Keh…I was in the air when the sun set, and I landed on my foot wrong."

Kagome grasped Inu Yasha's hand, pulled his arm over her shoulder, and nestled closely against his side.

"Wh-what are you doing?"

"What do you think?" Kagome huffed.

Kagome's eyes sparkled as she looked deeply into Inu Yasha's eyes, and moved her lips toward his. Inu Yasha shook his head to rid himself of his momentary reverie. He'd been spending too much time around that damn letch of a monk.

Kagome continued, "We're going back to Kaede's village." She helped Inu Yasha to his feet, supporting most of his weight with her own slender frame.

"Are you stupid?"

She sighed, "What is it now?"

"No way I'm lettin' any of those damn villagers see me like this!"

"Fine. We'll to through the well."

"Why?"

"I've got a test tomorrow and I can't leave you here alone."

"Fine."

"I'm not taking `no' for an answer, Inu-" Kagome started, "Did you say `fine.'" Wow, she thought, he gave in awfully easily.

"Yeah. Maybe it won't be the new moon in your time, and I can heal faster." Besides, he thought, I don't like being alone when I transform.

As Kagome stepped forward, Inu Yasha tapped her shoulder. "Kagome, aren't you forgetting something?"

She tapped her chin thoughtfully. "No, I don't think so."

"The shard."

Kagome looked behind herself. Pieces of the ogre were inching towards one another, the shikon shard enabling the creature to literally will itself back together. Fortunately the ogre's immense size prevented it from pulling itself together with any great speed. Shippou was busying himself with blasting pieces of the ogre apart with foxfire. So that's why they hadn't heard anything from the kit in several minutes.

"Oh, right," Kagome said, jogging off to gather and purify the shard imbedded in somewhat large section of what appeared to be the ogre's abdomen. "I'm such a ditz."

Inu Yasha opened his mouth to echo his agreement, before realizing Kagome's hasty retreat left him standing without support on an injured leg. He grunted with pain, before collapsing to the ground. "Damn wench," he muttered.

Kagome reached into the chunk of ogre solar plexus. Retrieving the shard proved difficult, as she found it to be lodged particularly deep within the flesh. A final tug freed the shard. However, so hard was the tug that the shard pierced the lining of a sac of fluid within the fleshy lump. The contents of the sac spilled out, dissolving the lump into a gooey paste. Kagome was able to remove her hand before the lump dissolved, but unfortunately did not remain unscathed. A few drops of the acidic fluid fell onto and began burning her hand. She cried out, and Inu Yasha, ignoring the pain in his leg, was beside her in an instant. He wiped the fluid from her hand, burning his own in the process.

"Kagome, are you okay?"

"Sure. The burns hurt, but I'll be fine."

"Damn it. I shouldn't have told you to get that shard."

Kagome caressed his face with her uninjured hand. "No, I'm the one who can purify the shards. Remember?"

Inu Yasha cupped his hand over hers. "Kagome."

"Besides, you didn't know the ogre's stomach acid would burn me."

He looked down.

"You didn't know, did you?"

"Well…I."

"Inu Yasha!"

"Give me a break, wench, I can't see the shards. How was I to know where it was?"

"You could've warned me," she yelled.

"I forgot."

"Inu Yasha…OSUW-"

He clenched his teeth, clamped his eyes shut, and grabbed his injured leg, bracing himself for the impact. When it didn't come, he slowly opened his eyes. The girl stood above him, the expression on her face a mixture of remorse and anger. She repositioned herself under his arm, and helped him to his feet. "Come on," she said, "let's go."

"Kagome," he asked after a few minutes of walking, "why didn't you sit me?"

She smiled. "You're hurt. I'm mad at you, but I don't want to hurt you further."

"Oh," he said, "never stopped you before."

"Careful, Inu Yasha. You're making me reconsider."

* * *

Preview of next installment:

Kagome: I think we're back in Tokyo, but everything looks so different. There's the Sunset Shrine. Mama? Souta? Jii-chan? I'm home. Where are you? Why are old man and a little boy in our shrine? What's that? You say you live here? This is your shrine? What's going on?

Inu Yasha, don't fight those men. You're injured and still human. You can't transform Tessaiga. Who's that man with the red hair and scar? Is he going to help us? O thank you, sir.

Next time on Inu Yasha: The red-haired samurai of the Meiji era

Inu Yasha: Keh. I could have defeated those bastards on my own.

Kenshin: Please forgive sessha, Inu Yasha-san. Sessha meant no disrespect.