InuYasha Fan Fiction / Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Miko ❯ Aishiteru ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

MIKO

By L.O. a.k.a. azn_otaku

Crossover: Trigun and InuYasha

##-------##

A/N: I'm back! I hope this update isn't too late; at least I didn't wait until midnight, ne? And I hope everyone did read my bio, or got some warning that I was taking a two month hiatus as of the end of February. I told everyone in my bio that I wasn't updating any fics until May 1st, so I hope y'all aren't mad at me! Are you guys happy? Is anyone still reading? That's the problem with long updates, you lose your fans. I hope there are some who still like this fic...

Anyways, this give Vash a little more chapter time I guess. He has two different blogs here. And I added another flashback! To make things interesting, I guess. Shippou's not in here; he's probably being baby-sat by someone else.

Reviews:

Dunbarbalooie2: Thanks for the compliment, and I did realize my mistake about leaving too much `Trigun' cast out too late. I tried to add more of them here, and a little of Vash's recount of the battle! I hope it somewhat satisfies readers. And there is this chapter and an epilogue before the fic ends! Doesn't it make you sad?

Moon-n-Universe-Goddess: Thanks! I'm updating as fast as I can, the hiatus helped somewhat.

skibum: Ahh! Don't spontaneously combust! And if you do, can I take pictures? Just kidding, Kagome wakes up in this chapter! I guess it's not very happy-happy-joy-joy, but I did like how it turned out.

kawaiililaznkitsune: What going to happen now? I'm updating! I'm updating! Well, Kagome wakes up, if that's any clue.

Niku: Thank you for being such a faithful reviewer, I love old-timers. Anyways, yes, Kagome wakes up. I love all your compliments!

Zander: Wow, you haven't been on for a YEAR? My fanfiction addiction would drive me crazy. Well, the best way IS to go cold turkey I guess...oh, did you do well on your mid-terms?

midnight frost: It was a little short, but then again this chapter is a little long for most `Miko' chapters. Thanks for the compliments!

wheelers_hanyou: Another old-timer! You guys are the best. I'm glad I get a lot of peoples' approval, it's good to know I'm doing something right.

Raditz: Don't murdarize me, please! I know it's been a long time...I hope everyone read my bio and saw that I wouldn't be updating till May 1st. I did get an update out on time, though. Just like I promised!

Inu the Stampede: You're welcome! Er, I'm glad you like the story.

VASH THE STAMPEDE: Ahh!!! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I couldn't find a place to push Vash into, so I added more in this chapter! He gets a recount of the battle and it explains his role a bit more. Maybe that helps...?

Emania: Oh...Puck? Hmm...I'm already currently having trouble with my own muse, but thanks for the offer! I'm sorry for not updating soon enough; I hope everyone read my bio about taking a two month hiatus till May.

L-S: Thanks!

Kaida Celeborn: Happy ending? Sure it is! There wasn't too much happy-happy-joy-joy in this chapter, but I thought it sounded hopeful at the end.

Miss_Marilyn69: Two for the price of one is good, right? I hope mm.org emails you with this update! I'm sorry for the long waits, school takes up a lot of my time. I hope people understand...

ao a.k.a. animeotaku418: So glad you waited patiently! How does it feel to be part of the mediaminer community?

Gizmo Gurl: You're the one that made me realize to put up the little hiatus sign on the summary for my fic! Thanks for the reminder. I hope everyone read that, since I'd probably get yelled at if they didn't. Schoolwork was really bogging me down, so I couldn't do much writing. But I hope this chapter makes up for lost time!

sango16: You're review was awesome; it DID make up for all the previous non-reviews (if that's even a word...). Not many people think a Trigun/InuYasha crossover would work out, but I'm glad it does!

fluffyfan: Isn't that an amazing feeling, finding a great fic that you had lost? I've done that before. I'm updating as fast as I am able to!

##-------##

"....." Dialogue

[......] Thoughts

##-------##

Chapter Thirteen: Aishiteru

##-------##

Vash's eyes moved back and forth, watching the rushing of the nurses as they hurried with bandages and ointment. He had several harsh wounds on the shoulder and chest himself, but it made no big difference to the scars across his back from the many years of promoting peace and love. He imagined that the worst off of the bunch was that miko, whom he had only seen clearly once during the entire fight. She had stared at him with the big empty eyes that he remembered from the glass tank, after she had been drained from killing off the Naraku creature. Vash shivered at the memory of the haunted glass look, fragile and pathetic.

The battle had been something indescribable. Vash couldn't imagine having to experience something like that again, the hordes of screaming supernatural creatures all fighting for one thing. Knowing that he had no power except for the gun in his hand and the dreaded angel gun in his body. He didn't have a back-up power, something that could defeat demons of myth. Even the angel gun hadn't been magical ability, just stupid technological genius that made his life harder. How had he been able to survive the teaming crowd of battle-hardy youkai?

If he hadn't stuck close to that girl named Sango, he wouldn't be here right now. She had definitely made sure to watch over him and the others from Gunsmoke, shielding them with her large boomerang. Both she and that monk Miroku seemed to be helpers to InuYasha, the main boss (in Vash's eyes). The little kitsune Shippou mostly stayed out in the sidelines, helping here and there when he could with these spurts of fire. So the roles of the monk and the girl Sango were to back InuYasha up. When the fight got heavy, Sango helped to protect Vash and Meryl while Miroku took Millie and Knives, allowing the Gunsmoke gang to fight freely without having to worry about defending themselves against the otherworldly abilities of the youkai. Vash had found out that guns did indeed work on the creatures, and he along with Meryl managed to dish out a righteous amount of punishment. His mind had gone on automatic at that point, refusing to think about the fact that he was killing living beings that supposedly deserved the right to live. It wasn't until now that the full impact of this entire trip hit him.

In all of his century and thirty some years, the tall Stampede had never experienced something magical as this adventure had been. It was like one of those old fantasy/science-fiction novels, where the main character went on some super quest that affects their life like nothing else. Rem had always told him stories, and the supernatural-ness of it all managed to enthrall his young self. Never had he imagined to be a part of something like that. Even during all his trials as the man with the sixty billion double-dollar price on his head. That had been life, his angel gun had been science; the Plants had been all technology. Nothing was just plain, simple Magic.

[Everything here is Magic.]

Youkai was his dream paradise. Meryl had made him realize what a gem this small out-of-the-way village was. Everything seemed to fit him so well, as if Youkai had been waiting here all this time just for him to discover. He may not be youkai, but he was a Plant...another being that wasn't the same as a mere mortal. His lifespan was longer; he suffered the loss of loved ones and the power of discrimination. He felt the pain of being different from the others, and the feeling of isolation. Vash had finally found a place he could live in, without the questions of who he was and why he never aged.

"Are you ready Vash-san? You're the last one to treat."

His head snapping up, Vash's thoughts were interrupted by an elderly human woman with a plain white smock and a roll of gauze in her hands. Her other arm pulled upon a small rickety cart containing more gauze and several bottles of chemicals. Some of the supplies Vash had never seen before, his gave the woman a curious look.

She smiled before setting up a splint for his broken arm, "When you have youkai or hanyou to treat, sometimes your have to create new types of medicine just to fit in with their physical structure. Most of these bottles are centuries old potions from the Sengoku Jidai, where youkai had been at a higher percentage. Our hospital keeps an artificially made garden in the basement, to re-create the plants and herbs needed for medicinal purposes."

"You...er...have the water and stuff to plant things?"

"Well, we have youkai who volunteer by creating water substitutions. Most of the time their specialty is either in water or the brains to process data which helps with pharmacy or invention. You know, those who don't have even a quarter of youkai blood still gain some power, but it's normally only one or two special abilities that make them unique."

"...Oh. ....OWW!!"

"Don't be a baby," The nurse slapped on more hydrogen peroxide to clean the wounds, creating a huge stinging sensation that was more than a little painful. Vash was sure the nurse was enjoying this, it must be a perk to watch others suffer under your care. Damn sadists.

"AUUGH! What the hell is in that stuff? Why are you being so mean?!"

The nurse only grinned, "You're a whiner, eh? Well, as painful as this junk is, it's effective. You don't hurt anymore, do you?"

Pausing for a moment, Vash lifted his arm with the splint attached to stare at the bandages. The potion she used seemed to make the healing process painless, though the blood was still there. He blinked quickly before giving her an incredulous stare.

"I love you."

"Oh stop it!" The nurse gave a chuckle before slapping Vash on the back once more, "You must say that to all the old and vulnerable women!"

##-------##

"Two centuries? Are you sure you are not mistaken Meryl-san?" Sango looked up from her cup of tea to give the short Insurance lady a sharp stare.

"Well..." Meryl tapped her chin with her index finger, being the only one to understand Japanese was a little tiring when she had to be the only go-between, "Knives had said that your last battle with...Naraku...had been more or less a century before project SEEDS started..."

"Pro...ject...Seeds?" Miroku rolled the English words around his tongue, tasting the unfamiliarity, "What is that?"

"It was when the Earth had become too populated and polluted so humankind as well as youkai boarded ships to take them to a new planet. Surely Kagome told you that Japan was a small island on a vast planet called Earth." Sesshoumaru walked in, supporting Rin as she limped towards the couch. Rin had gotten off with a few broken bones in her ankle and a rather nasty stomach wound, though she had defended herself rather well considering fighting wasn't her forte.

InuYasha gave his brother a suspicious glare, folding his arms as he sat next to Knives and Millie, "Feh! Of course she told us!"

"Then you know that there were also other planets other than Earth. When all of the natural resources were used up, everyone boarded on ships to leave Earth. That was when I visited Kikyou last and made sure you were all still safe."

Knives gave an involuntary twitch at the name "Kikyou", though he recognized nothing else that was said. Sesshoumaru only glanced at him before continuing on, "A century had already passed in Kagome's time after you had made it through the well. I lived out my five centuries before I made it into Kagome's present time, and I had collected all the Shikon shards for Rin to protect. When we left upon the project SEEDS ships, Naraku was still hiding and you were all still guarded by Kikyou."

Meryl watched both brothers carefully, before turning back to her teacup with a sigh. It had been two days since the final battle, and the sounds of construction were heard outside. Mille had helped out with the buildings quite a bit, but now they were all sitting once again in the hospital waiting room, before the nurse came out to update them on Kagome's status. She was the only one of the group who had yet to awaken. None of them had been allowed into her room until today, when they would be informed as to whether she would live or not.

"Sempai, what are we talking about? I can't understand a word you're saying!" Millie leaned over from where she sat across from the shorter woman, a confused look upon her face. Knives gave them an indifferent stare, but he made no comment about "spider stupidity". Meryl supposed he was getting better at socializing with humans, and knowing when to shut up.

"We're just discussing what has happened since...well since the others had gone into that sleep the miko put them in. You remember her, the one at the portal?"

"Oh, right!"

"Is there some trouble?"

Looking up, Meryl found Sesshoumaru's eyes upon her and she blushed with embarrassment, "It's nothing...Millie here doesn't understand Japanese so I'm filling her in."

"Oh!" Rin clapped her hands, "Why didn't you say so? I was wondering why Millie-san has been so quiet during our talks! I'm such a baka..." Gingerly walking towards the taller Insurance girl, Rin placed one of her petite hands in Millie's and closed her eyes. A soft white glow like tiny electric bolts danced across her chest towards the palm of her hand, where it seemed to bond the pair's grasp with a special power.

"Wh-What is that?" Vash, the last one to now show up, pointed at the white light with wide eyes upon entering the waiting room. Everyone looked up at the tall blonde before he sheepishly rubbed the back of his head, "Sorry, Haruko wanted a piggy-back ride. Who was I to deny her?"

"It's quite alright Vash-san," Rin smiled kindly, "As to your previous questions, Millie wanted to understand what we were saying in our home language, so I used some of my faint power to bond myself to her for the time being. While we are bonded, she is able to access parts of my own knowledge; and in turn my ability to comprehend the Japanese language. She won't be able to speak herself, of course, but we can always translate for her to InuYasha and the others."

"Wow, you can really do that?" Meryl grinned, "That's amazing!"

"Would you like to listen in on our conversation Vash-san? Knives-san? I only have one other hand, but I'm sure Sess would be glad to help out."

InuYasha gave his brother a skeptical stare, "HIM? Help a mortal? I'll believe it when I see it."

Without a word, Sesshoumaru sat down and took Knives' hand in his own. A brighter light than Rin's bonded the two, and he sat back to smirk at his hanyou sibling. InuYasha only sputtered, much to Sango and Miroku's amusement. Vash took a place beside Rin, and soon the entire group started up the conversation again.

##-------##

[Where...am I?]

She couldn't see anything. It wasn't as if everything was black, it was just that her senses couldn't feel. She had no idea whether or not her eyes were open, closed...or if she was still alive for that matter.

[What...happened?]

With a foggy mind, she recalled several hasty images of her master glaring at her before disintegrating into the dust. Was it really over? Was that what really happened?

Something felt different. She couldn't feel her body, and she couldn't move anything. As if she were just a soul, her mind raced through possible changes. She felt lighter, more free. As if a leaden weight had flown from her chest, she couldn't hear the Animal that screamed in her mind during many of her dreams. She couldn't see Golden Eyes, or any other bodies. It was as if everything were blank.

There was a warm light surrounding her, filling in the gap that was in her heart for so very long. Slowly, the hazy image of a pink orb sharpened in her mind's eye. What was it? Something foreign? It felt familiar though, as if it were the missing piece to her soul or something.

And in the distance, a soft humming called towards her. Should she go to it?

[Well, anything's better than staying here.]

##-------##

"GOOD GRACIOUS!"

A frightened shout coming from Kagome's room made InuYasha's ears perk and his head to shoot up. He felt something happen, something momentous. As if his feet were moving by instinct alone, he found himself speeding down the corridor in spite the desk assistant's protests. Bursting into the hospital room, he saw the current nurse stumbling backwards, pointing towards the pristine hospital bed and the young woman underneath the covers.

Paying no mind to the sounds of running feet at the doorway, InuYasha ignored Sango and Meryl's curious cries as to what was wrong. He halted to stare at the girl he had dreamed of for so long, the girl that had pulled him from his eternal sleep.

[Kagome...]

She was pulsating with the glow of the Shikon no Tama. The jewel itself was floating a good foot above her body, and her body was curved upwards towards the pull of the light. As if like a misty rain, the white power flowed down in lazy sheets to be absorbed into the miko's body, little by little the Shikon no Tama faded away. Her body convulsed slightly at the contact with the new power, yet her eyes remained closed and her face pale. She made no expression to indicate that she was alive, yet when she fell back into her bed, her fingers gave a small twitch.

In a matter of seconds, InuYasha was by Kagome's side. He stared down at the peaceful face that had haunted him for over two centuries, finally reaching the climax of all emotion. Shock overflowed his system, and all he could remember to do was to reach out like a lost child and grasp at Kagome's frail hand as if she was his life support. After so long...how did he expect their next meeting to happen? Was this what he had imagined?

"InuYasha..." Miroku came up beside the hanyou and patted his shoulder, "It's alright. I'm sure she's just sleeping now. She'll be fine."

He didn't give an answer; too busy concentrating upon the odd noise he heard with his sensitive ears. What was that sound?

"Quiet, everyone." Inuyasha gave a sharp bark, glaring at the others who were piled up in the doorway. Rin was still clutching at both Vash and Millie's hands, her eyes wide in wonder.

Leaning down, the hanyou placed his face close to Kagome's face. Everything was still for a single moment, not even the dust dared to settle down as all eyes were upon InuYasha. His face developed a look of determination as he stared long and hard at the miko's supposedly unconscious face.

There it was again.

This time, everyone could hear it in the dead silence. Sango clapped a hand to her mouth in surprise, grabbing a fistful of Miroku's robes. There had been a glimmer of sound, something so small that it didn't seem real. But it was there, an utterance like a tiny mewling.

InuYasha smiled at everyone for the first time in days, one of wonder and relief. None of the Sengoku Jidai gang had ever seen this sort of awe upon his face, as if he were enthralled by the little noises of life coming from the miko. His hand found hers once more, and he stared at her face in order to memorize her angelic expression for all eternity. All the rest of them could do was to watch the hardened hanyou melt for perhaps the first true time in his long and tortured existence.

His golden eyes looked dazed as he felt soft fingers hesitate before clutching his own callused palm.

##-------##

"I..."

The forest was silent as Kagome looked up at InuYasha with wide eyes and an open mouth. It was almost dawn; neither of them had gotten much sleep since they decided to take a walk. Kagome clutched at the locket he had given to her, the soft glow of the fireflies reflecting off of her deep grey-blue eyes.

He hesitated, refusing to look at her in fear of rejection. This wasn't what he had imagined confessing his love to be like, he didn't like Kagome looking so...un-emotional.

"Well? Say something..."

"I..."

InuYasha stepped back, before giving Kagome a frown, "You don't love me?"

"N-No...it's not..."

[What's gotten into him?]

Kagome knew that she felt something deep for the hanyou, something indescribable and completely wonderful. Yet she hadn't known he felt the same. She hadn't ever believed he would do something like this. Doushite?

He seemed to misinterpret her confused look with one of indifference, before he turned around, ready to head back, "Forget it..." His mutter was so soft she could barely make out his words, "Just forget I said..."

"Matte!"

Hurriedly grabbing his arm, Kagome stared into his eyes pleadingly. He tried not to look hurt as his cheeks flushed a little. Why didn't she say anything? Was he repulsive to her? Did she really not like half-breeds, truthfully? Was this all a lie?

"What? Forget it, okay?"

"I-I...what did you say...InuYasha?"

"Nothing."

"No!" Kagome pulled on his arm again, a bit more forcefully, "You said `aishiteru', didn't you?"

"Iie..."

"You did!"

His amber eyes flashing, InuYasha wrenched his sleeve from her grasp and jutted his chin out defiantly, "What if I did?"

"Oh..."

[Was this what I imagined?]

Kagome had dreamed, night after night, of the day when InuYasha might love her as much as she loved him. She hadn't ever thought he would do something like this, though. She hadn't prepared her reaction for something as major as this. It hadn't seemed possible for him to love her; his heart had been reserved for another...

[Hadn't it?]

"Stop looking at me like that. I'm disgusting to you, aren't I?" His attitude changed from insecure to defensive as quick as a flash, not liking this uncertainty that the girl was making him feel.

"No, NO! Don't leave...onegai..." Kagome bit her lip before continuing on, "Demo...what about..."

"-About what? Huh?"

"About...Kikyou..."

InuYasha jerked backwards, mouth open in surprise. He hadn't expected Kagome to say that name. Why did she mention HER? Did she not trust him?

"That's all that this is, is it? You think I love you because you have Kikyou's soul?"

"N-No...I thought you still loved HER..."

"Baka!"

"I'm not a baka!"

"Well, you're certainly acting like one! Why the hell would you think I still loved her?!"

"D-Demo..." Kagome's eyes filled with tears, "Why are you always..."

"Always what, huh? Rescuing her? Protecting her?" InuYasha growled, "She DIED because of ME, damnit!"

"I didn't mean..."

[I don't want to be a replacement.]

Kagome already felt like she was under Kikyou's shadow enough. So it made it worse by the fact that she was deeply in love with Kikyou's old flame. Why did she have to love InuYasha? Why did she have this insecurity that whenever he saw her, he just saw Kikyou? She could never be like her; the dead are always placed upon a higher pedestal than the living. It was a fact of life; when you die your loved ones will always forget your bad qualities. You can do no wrong after you're gone.

[Am I nothing more than a second-hand copy? How can InuYasha love me this way?]

"You didn't mean to accuse me of being cruel? Leaving Kikyou to her own defenses when she died and came back to life all because of ME?"

"G-Gomen nasai..."

[I_do_love you. I really, really do.]

A tear fell down to get absorbed into the spongy earth. She felt her face flush, and her heart constrict. She hadn't wanted her happy moment ruined by another fight. She didn't want this.

InuYasha forgot himself when she began to silently cry, the tears flowing of their own free will down her soft cheeks.

"M-Matte...don't cry...I d-didn't mean to..."

[I can't do this!]

She couldn't take it if he didn't love her. How could she fight alongside of him when he thought of her as a bad copy of Kikyou? Would he look her in the eyes after this?

[I'm really sorry InuYasha, I didn't mean...]

Looking up into his eyes, she noticed how brilliantly gold they seemed in the sunrise. They looked guilty, shocked at her tears. She needed time to cool down, to reign her emotions in.

"Gomen..."

She ran away, down the path. Faster and faster her legs took her to the familiar wooden well and the clearing with the silent rays of purple hitting her hair. Kagome jumped into the well, not wanting InuYasha to catch up with her. She didn't realize that Naraku was waiting for her on the other side.

That this would be the last time she would see InuYasha.

His loud cries of her name sounded in her ears until it all faded away.

##-------##

Vash watched with a soft smile as InuYasha's hand clutched at Kagome's. He seemed dumbstruck when the girl squeezed back, though weakly. The happy cries of children chose at that time to hit his ears with melodious sound from outside the open window. The rebirth of old love, a life made anew.

With baited breath, they all watched as she woke up. As if in slow motion, long black eyelashes fluttered hesitatingly. He heard Sango's sharp intake as her hold on Miroku got even tighter. This was the moment that seemed to decide everything: what they had been fighting for, why they were alive, if they truly won.

Her eyes opened fully, and Vash could see the grey-blue that had caused his stomach to churn after their first meeting. They had been so empty before, dark like the undead. Yet...now...

[Alive...]

Kagome's mouth opened. They could all see her vocal chords working to make sound.

##-------##

She saw his face again. Golden Eyes...InuYasha...her love. She knew what she had to say, what had kept her alive subconsciously all this time.

He stared back at her, as if not knowing what to do. She could feel his warm hand shaking in nervousness.

##-------##

[I do...really.]

[I really, really do.]

"...A-Aishiteru."

##-------##

A/N: Well, did you expect that? I didn't really specify why Kagome was in her time before she went back to encounter Sesshoumaru...and this popped into my head. It seemed so appropriate, them having an important argument before she leaves for two centuries. I don't know, make it seem more tragic or something.

I'm sorry for making everyone wait so long.

And remember, this isn't the end! There's an epilogue coming up after this, my first finished fic! I'm so happy...I could cry...

##-------##

JAPANESE DICTIONARY

Miko - Priestess

Youkai - Demon

Kitsune - Fox. Fox demon.

Hanyou - Half-demon

Baka - Idiot. Jerk.

-San - Suffix used for someone you respect, or someone unfamiliar to you.

Sengoku Jidai - The feudal era

Doushite - Why?

Matte - Wait

Iie - No

Onegai - Please

Aishiteru - I love you

Demo - But

Gomen nasai - I'm sorry ("Gomen" is just "sorry")

##-------##