Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Reunited ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I apologize to all of you who have been waiting for me to update. I've had play practice after school, and then right as soon as I get home, I have to go to All-County practice, so I've barely had time to even look at my homework, much less update my stories. The All-County concert's tonight, so I have to run.
 
Kurama'sFoxyMiko: Here's the next chapter. Now you'll find out what happens to Kagome. I'd say more, but like I put above, I have to go. So, enjoy!
 
~*~
 
Unknown to Robin, Kagome was thinking the same exact thing. Lost in her thoughts, she didn't notice Kendal coming her way until he stepped in front of her and she ran into him.
 
“Sorry,” she muttered, not really focusing on what was in front of her.
 
“Don't use that tone with me, young lady,” he growled.
 
She just looked her nose at him and said, “You have no power to tell me what to do.”
 
“While you live in my house, I do,” he sneered back at her.
 
This guy is acting exactly like Karo, she thought, trying not to cry at the memories that brought. “Then I won't live in your house. I'll leave for Japan, where my home is.”
 
“You don't have a home in Japan anymore. We sold it, remember?”
 
“I still have friends that will take me in. That way I don't have to see you, and you won't ever have to see me again.”
 
“Your mother won't let me let you leave.”
 
“Well, that's not my problem, now, is it?” She went around him and went to her room. She could tell that he was mad by the way that the floor shook. Apparently he was in the kitchen, since that was the room right under her bedroom. She stayed in her room for the rest of the day, reading one of her books. She didn't even go down for dinner.
 
Kagome could tell when her mother and Kendal came up the stairs by the voices talking in soft, honeyed tones. Normally they didn't come up until she was already asleep, but the idea of her mother in a bed with him was enough to make her skin crawl and make her stay awake.
 
This is going to be another sleepless night, she sighed internally. Might as well go downstairs and put some distance between us. Taking her book with her, she went down the stairs, not bothering to be quiet since Kendal and her mom were too preoccupied to notice a bomb being dropped on them. The clock on the wall said that it was now 3:30 in the morning. Might as well call and get my ticket. She dialed the number, and ordered her ticket for the earliest flight out of England to Japan the next day, which was at 12:00 at night. Feeling much better, she settled on the couch to sleep.
 
She was rudely woken that morning by Kendal. “Some reason you're not in bed?” he asked.
 
“None of your business,” she mumbled.
 
“Everything that goes on in this house is my business. Now what are you doing down here?”
 
“I couldn't sleep last night, so I figured I'd try down here for a change. Got a problem with that?”
 
“How many times must I tell you not to take that tone with me?!”
 
“How many time must I remind you that you are not my dad, and have no control over my life?”
 
“That will change very soon, Kagome. I'm adopting you and your brother.”
 
“I'm sorry, but when did I say that I wanted you as a father?”
 
“You don't have a choice in the matter. In a few days, you will be Kagome Kendal.”
 
“I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm still Kagome Higurashi, and if I have to live as a beggar to remain a Higurashi, then I will. I'm not changing my name!”
 
“There's nothing wrong with the name. You're mother is already known as Mrs. Kendal.”
 
“Well, she's carrying your kid, so she has to stay with you, but I don't! And I refuse to.”
 
He slapped her. “You'll do as your told, and when I say don't use that tone, I mean it! Your mother has already given her permission to discipline you, so don't think you can just say whatever you like and get away with it.”
 
She walked past him and up the stairs to her room. “Kagome! I'm not finished yet!”
 
“But I am,” she replied coolly. She could hear his growl of fury, but she locked the door. How am I going to get to the airport? she thought. Stupid, stupid, stupid! I didn't think of this when I was talking with Robin. Wait! They have buses that take you anywhere, right? Yeah, they do. Oh, good. Dilemma solved, she threw herself onto the bed and tried to catch some more sleep.
 
~*~
 
Six hours later, Kendal was still steamed at Kagome. “Your daughter has been nothing but trouble,” he growled at Mrs. Higurashi. “I've tried being nice to her, but she just doesn't want to like me. You'll have to do something with her.”
 
“In a few days' time, she will be your daughter, and you can discipline her as you like. You could do that now, if she's really being that out-of-control,” she said, trying to soothe her new husband. “Talk to her. She's not an unreasonable child.”
 
“She's a demon-child, no offense or anything. She hates me, and she won't change her ways.”
 
It's probably from being in the Feudal Era for too long, thought Mrs. Higurashi. “I'll talk to her. Where is she?”
 
“She's in her room. I was trying to discipline her for disobeying me, but she walked out on me.”
 
“You can't let children do that,” she chided. “If you do, then they'll do that all the time.”
“It's not like she gave me much choice. She just went up the stairs and slammed the door in my face.”
 
“That is unacceptable behavior. I'll talk to her about that.” And off she went. Knocking on Kagome's door, she marched into the room when it opened. “Kagome, Tai has told me that your behavior has been intolerable.” Kagome opened her mouth to defend herself, but her mom plowed on. “Shutting doors in people's faces? Walking out when they're trying to talk to you? I didn't raise you like that, Kagome. You know better.”
 
Now Kagome got a word in. “Mom, he was yelling at me for sleeping downstairs because I couldn't sleep up here. He tries to boss me around, and I don't appreciate it. He thinks that he should be given the respect that we would give our father, but he isn't! He tries to act like a father, punishing me for talking back, and using an unwanted tone, but he doesn't deserve that respect. He hasn't earned it, and he's lost that chance with me because of the way he's treated me.”
 
“He will be your father; he's adopting you in a couple of days. Then you will treat him like he is your blood father. But that doesn't excuse the other things, like walking out when he's talking to you.”
 
“He wasn't talking, he was trying to exert his manly authority, and that doesn't sit well with me. It never has, and it never will. I refuse to put up with it.”
 
By this time her mother was red with fury. “I know why you're doing this. It's entirely my fault. I never should have let you go back to the Feudal Era. I knew it was dangerous, and look at what it did to you.”
 
Not expecting her mom to use that tack, Kagome was speechless. Using her daughter's silence to her advantage, her mom warmed to her subject. “Being in that uncivilized place has rubbed off on you. Now, I haven't told him about that place since he'd think I'm crazy, but I know that that's the reason you've been so strange.”
 
“Mom, it's not them!” Kagome finally found her voice. “They're almost always polite and they aren't the reason I treat him the way I do. He brought this on himself, no one else did.”
 
“Kagome, I don't want to hear that you've done anything like this again. Do you understand?”
 
Since this was her mother speaking, and not Kendal, she muttered sullenly, “Yes, ma'am.”
 
Her mom left then, tired of being with a daughter who talked back so much. She put a hand on her stomach, thinking, I'd better be careful, or else the baby might get hurt in some way.
 
~*~
 
It's not fair! Kagome threw her pillows around the room again. She thinks he can do no wrong. She doesn't understand. Might as well put this anger to use and pack. She moved around the room, putting what was hers into the bag that she used in the Sengoku Jidai. She didn't touch what was Kendal's since she wanted no reminders of him. Okay, the plane leaves at midnight. It was only a little after nine, but there was no point in wasting time when she had it now. She would just have to make sure that no one saw her backpack, and they wouldn't know what she was doing.
 
The rest of the day seemed to flow past in a haze. She didn't talk to anyone except Grandpa and Sota. When her mother tried to take the Shikon no Tama from her, she stared stonily at her, not allowing her to even see it. She knew that her mom didn't want its power; it was just a reminder of what she thought had corrupted her daughter, and wanted it removed. Only the intervention of Grandpa saved the situation for Kagome. He knew of its power, and that she was now its guardian. Her mom couldn't argue with her former husband's father, and gave in grudgingly. She thanked her Grandpa, silently saying good-bye, and went to spend time with Sota. Of everyone in her family, she only told Sota what was going on. She had a feeling that Kendal would treat Sota like he treated her and wanted her younger brother to know that if he needed her, he would know where to find her.
 
“So you're going back to Japan,” he said.
 
“I have to. I'm `married' to Inuyasha, and I won't leave him. Besides, I hate Kendal and England probably isn't too bad, but it isn't home.”
 
“I have a feeling that when you're gone, he won't be quite as nice to me. Be prepared to get me out of here.”
 
“Why don't you come with me?” she suggested. “You could go to your old school, and stay with me.”
 
“I don't know…” he trailed off.
 
“I'm sure that we could ask Michael to pull it off. Robin says he's a genius at this sort of stuff.”
 
The indecision of staying with their mom or staying with Kagome and going home leaned in Kagome's favor. “When can you call them?” he asked.
 
“I'll do it right now.” Going over to the phone, she picked it up and dialed their old phone number. Please pick up, she pleaded.
 
Her wish was granted. “Hello?” asked a tired voice.
 
“Is this the Higurashi Shrine?” she asked.
 
“Yes, who's calling?”
 
“This is Kagome Higurashi. Is Robin there?”
 
“Oh, you're Kagome. I managed to fix it so that you're all set to go tomorrow.”
 
“Is this Michael?”
 
“The one and only.”
 
“Um, this might be a little too much to ask, but my brother…”
 
“You need your brother added? Sure, no problem. You'll need his ticket, but that shouldn't be too hard. Charge it to us, and we'll take care of it.”
 
“You really are the best, Michael. Robin wasn't lying when she said you were a genius.”
 
“What can I say? I know my computers. Anything else while we're talking?”
 
“How are we supposed to get there?”
 
“Well, according to this flight, your plane comes in around four in the morning. Robin still can't afford to be seen, so I'll pick you up.”
 
“Okay, what do you look like?”
 
“Um, I've got orange-ish brown hair, wear colored glasses, and I'm about six foot two.”
 
“All righty then, we'll see you then. And thanks again.”
 
“No problem. Anytime you have a problem that has a computer involved, I'm the guy to come to.” They hung up.
 
“He seems like a nice guy,” she said more to herself than Sota. “He can do it. I just need to buy the ticket.” She did that while she was thinking about it.
 
“Um, Kagome, how are we getting back to the shrine?” Sota asked hesitantly.
 
“It's been taken care of. Michael's picking us up.”
 
“You told him that you didn't know what he looked like.”
 
“He gave a description. It's not going to be easy, but I think Robin will describe us to him. And, since he arranged our flight, he knows which plane is ours and when it comes in.”
 
“By the way, when do we have to leave?”
 
“Well, our plane leaves at midnight, so we'll probably want to leave around ten.”
 
“Mom and Kendal won't be in bed by then, though.”
 
“Make as much noise as possible. If we can get Mom in bed early, Kendal'll follow her. Problem solved.”
 
“Why do you want to leave so early?”
 
“We're going to have to take a bus, and we have to pick up tickets. And we don't know where we're going. Bring everything you can carry. Money is a must-have. If you can't carry it, we can't bring it.” At his downcast look, she said, “We'll buy what you left later. We just have to leave right now.” He still looked sad, but she internally promised that if that was what he wanted, she would use the jewel for him. He's her brother, after all.
 
True to his word, he made so much noise that their mother went to bed at eight after taking an Advil. Sure enough, Kendal followed her like a puppy and its master. Kagome decided to use this to their advantage and they left an hour earlier than planned. Leaving a note in her room for her mother, Kagome and her brother walked out of Kendal's home and started going home.
 
It was lucky that they left early. At eight-thirty, the bus came. They paid their fare, and he took them to the airport, which was an hour away, apparently. He wished them luck, thinking that they were a bit young to be by themselves. They thanked him and walked to the counter, where their tickets had been reserved for them. Both of their bags were carry-ons, so they skipped that and waited for their plane to come in. It was right on time, so three hours later they boarded the plane, and started their eleven-hour flight to Japan. Kagome slept most of the way there, and Sota either slept or listened to CDs. Finally, after those long hours, they arrived at Japan. It was 11:00 in England, but it was only 2:00 in the morning here.
 
Kagome started looking around, but there were so many people around. Grabbing Sota's arm, she hauled them over to the side. “We might as well wait out the crowd,” she said as an explanation for almost yanking his arm from its socket. He sighed, shook his head, and put on his headphones again.
 
A lot of the crowd had gone down, and it was easier to see. However, she still didn't spot anyone that fit Michael's description. Then, looking at the chairs, she saw someone that looked like him only he was asleep. She could clearly see his bruises and cuts. Poor guy, she thought. She didn't want to wake him, but they needed to get home. She went over to him and, shaking him, asked, “Are you, by chance, Michael?”
 
The boy took a few seconds to reorient himself, and said, “Yes, I am. Are you Kagome Higurashi?”
 
“Yes I am. Nice to meet you.”
 
“Same. Um, sorry about falling asleep like that. It's only two in the morning here.”
 
“I understand. Shall we go?”
 
“You don't have any extra baggage, do you?”
 
“No.”
 
“Then let's be off.” They followed Michael to where the car was parked. It took yet another hour for them to make it back to the shrine. Then they were pulling up into their driveway. Michael stumbled out of the car and towards the house.
 
“Did you need some help?” asked Sota in concern.
 
“No, I'm just tired. I'll be okay in about six hours.”
 
After Michael somehow made it up the stairs without killing himself, Sota turned to Kagome and asked, “Where are we staying if all our stuff is in England?”
 
“Leave that to me,” she told him. She focused on the Shikon Jewel, asking it to restore their rooms. It complied eagerly. “Okay, everything's in our rooms.”
 
Sota tore up the stairs and stopped in his doorway. “Wow, how did you do that?” he asked in astonishment.
 
“That's for me to know,” she said mysteriously.
 
“Now why couldn't you have just done this for us? I mean, you could have done whatever you just did and made us appear here, right?”
 
“I thought about doing that, but it would have raised more problems. Kendal would have at least heard what was going on, and figured out that we were useful and he couldn't afford to lose us. But since we were gone, I only summoned our stuff here from his house, and messed up the rest of it.”
 
“And that's supposed to help not track to us how?”
 
“Supposedly, we aren't anywhere near enough for him to think that we did it. He knows that I'll probably come back to Japan, or at least get far away from him. He'll think a witch destroyed his house, and no witch is strong enough that he knows of that can control that kind of power from the other side of the world.”
 
Her brother looked nonplussed at the end of her explanation. “Okay, whatever you say.” He turned to her and said, “You know, I'm not that tired.”
 
“Yeah, me neither. I'll walk around the place again. Who knew you could miss it after being a few weeks away?”
 
“It never bothered you when you were in the Feudal Era.”
 
“That was different. I still lived here. Come to think of it, we did kind of leave suddenly. I only left them a note saying that something came up and we were needed at home. I should see them.”
 
“It's three in the morning. Don't you think that they won't be awake at this time?”
 
“Oh, yeah,” she said sheepishly, putting a hand behind her head.
 
Sota facevaulted. My sister can be such an idiot at times, he thought.
 
“Well, I'm going to look around. See you in a bit.”
 
“Okay.” He was already turning on the TV and putting one of his games in.
 
Walking around outside in the dark was something Kagome was used to by now. Inuyasha never seemed to want to stop looking for the shards before they defeated Naraku. He would always have to at some point because the humans in the group couldn't keep up with him. He never seemed to get the fact that humans needed more rest than he did until they had been together for a few years.
 
She didn't realize how she would miss him until she didn't think she would ever see him again. Those past weeks were pure torture. The thought of not being able to see them ever again was agony.
 
She found herself by the Goshinboku. Looking up, she could almost imagine Inuyasha up there. Wait! He was up there. He looked like he was asleep, but it was hard to tell from down where she was.
 
“Inuyasha,” she called softly. His ears moved in her direction, but that was it. She threw a rock at him, and unfortunately hit him in the head. He whirled around trying to see who threw the rock before seeing her. Realizing who it was, he fell out of tree in shock. Knowing that he had survived things more perilous than falling out of a tree, she ran to him anyway.
 
“Are you okay?” she asked, coming up to his fallen form.
 
“A rock, Kagome?” he asked.
 
“Well, I had no other way of waking you up.”
 
“A rock, Kagome?!” he repeated with more force.
 
“I'm sorry, but I couldn't climb up the tree; it's too tall.”
 
He glared at her for a moment, before embracing her. “You left us with only a note,” he whispered in her ear. “You didn't even say good-bye.”
 
“I'm sorry, Inuyasha, but something came up. Besides, with Hiei being taken-” Her breath caught in her throat. “He was like a son to me. I didn't even know him for all that long, and I still loved him.” She started sobbing into his haori.
 
“I know. He was close to everyone.” He started rubbing soothing circles around her back, like she did to Hiei when he was upset. He continued to hold her until her sobs subsided. “Come on, you need to be in bed.” He picked her up and carried her up to her room via the tree outside her bedroom.
 
“Inuyasha,” she called when he was about to leave. “Please stay with me.”
 
He didn't know how to answer that. “Um, are you sure?”
 
“I really need to be with you right now. Besides, you didn't have a problem with it in the Feudal Era.”
 
He cautiously climbed on the bed, staying on top of the covers. She sighed semi-happily and snuggled closer to him. Even though she had slept on the plane, Kagome was tired out emotionally, and fell asleep with Inuyasha right behind her.
 
It was the sun that finally woke her. Inuyasha was already gone. Was that just a dream? she wondered, but then she saw her window open from their entry this morning. Nope, he was here all right. She quickly changed out of her wrinkled clothes and went downstairs. There she saw an interesting sight. Michael was staring at Inuyasha like he'd never seen a hanyou before, which he probably hadn't, and Inuyasha was staring at Michael, probably wondering what he was doing in this house. Robin and Sota were nowhere to be seen.
 
“Um, what's going on here?” she asked.
 
“Who is this?” asked Inuyasha, pointing at Michael.
 
“Oh, you don't know each other, do you? Well, Inuyasha, this is Michael. He's the reason that Sota and I were able to come back here. I'll tell you about that later. Michael, this is Inuyasha. He's a half-demon, but he's a friend of Robin's and mine. No, he isn't a witch.”
 
They still stared at each other, not moving, until Robin came in. “Oh, you're awake. We were wondering what happened.” Then she saw Inuyasha. “Oh, hi, Inuyasha. Nice to see you again.”
 
“Hey, Robin, it's good to see you too. Is this Michael a friend of yours?”
 
“Yes, and he's the reason Kagome and Sota are back here.” Since this was almost exactly what Kagome said, he accepted it.
 
“Oh, Michael,” exclaimed Robin. “I just remembered. We have to register for school, and parents are supposed to do that.”
 
“I'm on it,” he said over his shoulder, already going over to the computer and typing.
 
“Don't forget to sign yourself up,” Robin reminded him.
 
“Okay,” he said a few minutes later, “we're zoned for Sarayashiki High School. It starts in a few weeks, so we're cutting it close, but they let us in.”
 
“Oh, boy, we're now freshman,” groaned Kagome.
 
“It won't be too bad,” Robin reasoned.
 
“We'll see.”