Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Reunited ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Solo & Ensemble is over! I can finally somewhat relax! Maybe now I'll have time to update more quickly.
 
Kurama'sFoxyMiko: Hiei visits the Higurashi Shrine. Unfortunately, he's not going to see anyone from the past. He's just on a mission for Koenma and leaves right before Robin shows up. Ironic, no?
 
~*~
 
Yusuke Urameshi groaned. Not another summons from the toddler. He slumped behind Botan, the ever-cheerful Grim Reaper, and entered Koenma's office. He saw that Kuwabara, Kurama, and Hiei were already present. Kuwabara was standing at Koenma's desk, looking bored, and Kurama was leaning against the wall, as was Hiei.
 
Yusuke, already mad that Koenma was making him miss his date with Keiko, stalked over to the toddler's desk, put his hands on either side of whatever Koenma was doing, and snarled in his face, “What do you want?!”
 
“Believe me, Yusuke, if I didn't think this was necessary, I wouldn't have called you here.”
 
“Is it another mission?” asked the quiet Kurama, trying to avoid a scene.
“No, I'm afraid not. It's much bigger.”
 
“How much bigger?” asked a cross Yusuke.
 
“My father is making his own Spirit Detective, and he wants him to work with you guys on some things.”
 
Kuwabara, being the baka he was, asked stupidly, “Why does your dad want to have another Spirit Detective? Are we not good enough or something?”
 
“You hit it right on the nose. He doesn't trust Kurama or Hiei, and wants someone of his choice watching them.”
 
“So we have to take this guy with us every time we go on a mission, is that what I'm hearing?” demanded Yusuke angrily.
 
“Not exactly. He answers to my father. He will be joining you on some missions, but by no means all. He's coming here right now, so please be on your best behavior. My father will take any excuse to get rid of all of you.”
 
At that moment, the door opened, and a boy around their age walked through. “You must be the Reikai Tantei that King Yama was talking about. I'm Tanner.”
 
Koenma stood up in his chair and said, “Welcome, Tanner. You already know me, so I'll introduce you to the rest of the bunch. This is Kuwabara, Yusuke, Hiei, and Kurama.”
 
As he pointed to them, they acknowledged him in some way. Yusuke and Kuwabara just said “Hi”, and Kurama gave his usual “Pleased to meet you”. Hiei didn't bother with acknowledgements.
 
Something clicked in Yusuke's mind when he saw Tanner, but he couldn't figure out what. Then it hit him. “You go to school with us.”
 
Tanner looked shocked for a second before saying, “Yes, I remember you. You're the guy in the green, right?”
 
“Yep, that's me.”
 
“Are you through?” asked Koenma crossly. “Okay, that's all I wanted you for, boys.”
 
Yusuke ran through the door, thinking, Keiko is sooo going to kill me for doing this to her again.
 
~*~
 
Koenma stopped Hiei from leaving. “There's something I need you to do,” he said.
 
“Well, tell me already,” stated Hiei in his cold voice.
 
“There has been a lot of spiritual activity in a place called the Higurashi Shrine. Three people that live there go to Yusuke's school, but I need you to scope them out. There's two girls and a boy. I don't thing the boy has anything to do with it, so focus on the girls. Can you do that?”
 
“Of course I can do that. A simpleton could do that. If that is all?” He vanished before Koenma could add anything else. Ooooh, that Hiei! He drives me up the wall! If only he had a better attitude.
 
~*~
 
Hiei jumped through the trees and thought about his new assignment. Higurashi, huh? Why does that name sound so familiar? I'm positive that I knew a Higurashi once, long ago. Then it hit him why that name was so familiar. It can't be! They could be Kagome's descendants! I have to see for myself. Changing direction, he made his way to where Yusuke lived, hoping that the delinquent would know where this shrine was.
 
~*~
 
Yusuke was very surprised to find Hiei waiting for him when he got home. The little fire demon was almost dancing from one foot to the other with impatience.
 
“Where have you been?” Hiei demanded.
 
“Um, I was out with Keiko,” he replied slowly. “Something you need?”
 
“Koenma has given me an extra assignment. Do you know where the Higurashi Shrine is?”
 
“Yeah, it's that way.” He pointed in the direction of the shrine. “It's within walking distance. Did you want some company?”
 
“Does it matter whether I want it or not?” he asked.
 
“Nope, not really,” said Yusuke cheerfully, receiving death glares from the little Koorime.
 
~*~
 
Half an hour later, the Spirit Detective and the fire demon were at the base of the steep steps of the shrine. “Man, no wonder those girls are in such good shape,” Yusuke panted, sitting down on the bottom step.
 
“What girls?” asked Hiei.
 
“The ones that live here. They're in all my classes. I think there's a sophomore that lives here too, but I'm not sure.”
 
“Hn. See you at the top, Detective.” The climb wasn't too much for Hiei. All he did was jump over the stairs and he was at the top. Looking around, he noticed how many old buildings there were. A door opened and out stepped a boy. He didn't look like Kagome, but you never know.
 
The boy turned to him and said, “Welcome to the Higurashi Shrine. Can I help you with something?”
 
Hiei, a bit unprepared for talking, said, “I was just looking around. I once knew a Higurashi, and wondered if they still lived here.”
 
“They sold the place, but two of them came back. You can meet them if you want.”
 
“No, that's fine. I'll just look around, if that's okay.”
 
The boy shrugged, then smiled. “Look away. Just be careful around some of the buildings.” He left Hiei and went down the stairs.
 
He heard him find Yusuke, who was trying to climb up the steep stairs.
 
Ignoring them, he walked around, looking at what was put up. There were a lot more buildings than he first thought. Eventually losing himself in the maze of sheds, he found himself looking at a tree. Again, his memory was triggered by the enormous Goshinboku. I remember this, he thought excitedly. It was in Inuyasha's Forest, next to the Bone Eater's Well. They all told me to stay away from it because it was dangerous. Yes, this whole place used to be Inuyasha's Forest!
 
He looked up and still saw where Inuyasha would perch in its branches. He could almost see him up there. Then he shook his head. They are all dead. Shippo might be alive, but he would be the only one. I never did see them again. I wonder how they were when I was taken? He did miss them. It was because of them that he began to grow cold, more aloof from the other thieves. They eventually threw him out because of his attitude. He had tried to find a way back to them, but he couldn't. So he fought for a living.
 
He turned away from the Goshinboku. There's no point in visiting memories. They won't come back, no matter what you do. This thought almost made him cry. Almost. He didn't cry; he stopped years ago. He wouldn't start again now. More somber, he walked past Yusuke, who had just made it to the top. “I'm done here for now. Thanks for showing the way.”
 
He ignored Yusuke's plea to wait. If he stayed, he might actually cry from all the memories here; his best memories.
 
~*~
 
Hiei's acting strange, thought Yusuke, watching the fire demon walk away. I could have sworn he looked sad. But that's just not Hiei.
 
“Can I help you?” asked a voice from behind him. He spun around and came face-to-face with one of his classmates, Robin Smith.
 
“Um, I was here with someone, but then he decided to leave. So I'll have to do the sight-seeing on my own.”
 
“Did you want a tour?” she asked.
 
“Sure, a tour would be great!” Now what have I gotten myself into?
 
She gave him a tour of the whole place. He never would have dreamed that this place was so big! And only she, Kagome, Sota, and Michael lived here.
 
“So, if there's only four of you, who runs this place when you're in school?”
 
“We have to close it. But when the schools start coming for field trips, the principal has given us permission to skip school, and will gladly give us volunteers to help out.”
 
“How often will they come?”
 
“We already have a few scheduled, and Mr. Takenaka has offered to let his classes come on a field trip sometime. Would you be willing to come?”
 
“Sure! I'll even help out.”
 
“I didn't think you liked doing that kind of thing.”
 
“Well, it's part of school, so Keiko won't yell at me, and I won't have to sit in class. This is great!”
 
She smiled at his enthusiasm. “Well, feel free to come in three weeks. We're expecting our first field trip then.”
 
“Yes!”
 
~*~
 
The next weeks went by in a flash. Just about everyone wanted to help out. Of course, most of them wanted to do it for the same reason Yusuke did, but each person helped. The Sunday before the first field trip, the `tour guides' were shown what they would show the people. The Bone Eater's Well was off limits (one guess why) and so was the house. Everything else was shown. The other helpers would sell souvenirs and refreshments next to exhibits. Michael and Robin set up the refreshment and souvenir booths with the students who would man them, and Kagome showed the path of the tour.
 
The helpers arrived bright and early, and everything was set up except for the food and drinks. That was taken care of quickly enough. Now all that was needed was the students.
 
~*~