Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Reunited ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kurama'sFoxyMiko: It's more like Hiei was on edge, and hearing Buyo on the prowl didn't help anything. Then he fell over the edge because he tripped over poor Buyo, just like Kagome did in the first Inuyasha episode.
 
~*~
 
When the purple light faded, Hiei was still able to see. Looking up, he saw that there were vines and other plants around its sides. That wasn't there before. Neither was the sky.
 
He jumped out of the well and was once again surrounded by trees. On his guard, he walked around a bit before finding the Goshinboku. This is strangely familiar, he thought. The scents of many animals surrounded this place. This isn't the Higurashi Shrine. What is this place? He could smell humans, but they weren't very close to this place. It smells like the old village that used to be close to this place. What's going on?
 
Warily approaching the area where the human scent was strongest, he saw the village where Kagome and the other shard hunters stayed. What kind of illusion is this? I've tried to forget about this place and all it signifies. Why has it come up now? Now he was just lying to himself. He wanted to forget this place where he had been the happiest, but at the same time wanted to remember that there had been some good in his life, that there was a time that people had taken him without knowing what he was, and not caring, and loved him for who he was.
 
Stop it! He shook his head to clear it a bit. If they knew what you would become, they would have killed you right then. He entered, very much aware of how much he stood out with his clothes. He ignored the stares, and just walked down the path, taking in the village. This must be the same village! he thought excitedly. But it's probably still after everyone's dead. Not much point in getting my hopes up. They won't recognize me anyway.
 
He was looking around when a small object came barreling into him. He fell with less than his usual grace, and saw a kitsune kit on top of his chest. He looked at Hiei curiously and said, “Hi! Who are you?”
 
This kit looks like Shippo. “I'm looking for a place to stay while I'm in the area. Do you know if there's anyplace I can do that?” he asked instead of answering the ka kitsune's question.
 
“Yep, just follow me,” said the hyper kit, trying to aid him in getting up, but only getting in the way. He bounced in the direction of the interior of the village, and Hiei followed.
 
He stopped in front of what was clearly the home of the miko that cared for the villagers, and announced, “Here we are! This is Kaede's home, the resident miko of this place. She's the one that takes in travelers.”
 
Hiei had frozen at the sound of Kaede's name. It can't be! She was old when I was a child; she must be dead by now. Maybe it's her successor. Haven't I already done this? I really need to stop talking to myself. Yes I do. Then stop already. Okay, I will. Don't do that! Okay! STOP! ALL RIGHT! AAAARRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!
 
He walked in after the kit, and asked, “Do you live here?”
 
“Yeah. Ever since the Thunder Brothers killed my family, I've lived here.”
 
“I'm sorry to hear that.”
 
“Don't be. I was taken in by Inuyasha and Kagome, so they and the others are my family now.”
 
Why me? This is Shippo. I know it is. “Is your name, by chance, Shippo?” he asked anyway, dreading the answer.
 
“Yes. How did you know that?” asked the kitsune curiously.
 
“Just a lucky guess. I'd heard of you and the other shard hunters. I didn't know this is where they lived, though.”
 
“Yep. We all live here. I don't know where the others are right now, but Kaede is should be coming back from the other village sometime soon. They don't have a miko as experienced as Kaede, so they're constantly calling on her to supervise one thing or another. The others'll be coming around eventually.”
 
The young fox set about making a fire; Hiei helped out a bit since he was bored and the fox was still so small that he could barely lift some of the firewood. Hiei, still bored and wanting something to do, glared at the fire like Robin used to do, and it burst into flames. Shippo fell on his back and looked at Hiei in amazement a little bit of fear.
 
“How did you do that?” he asked.
 
“My mother showed me how to do that,” he replied. “It helps that I'm a demon with fire abilities.”
 
Shippo was slowly backing away from him. “I'm not here for the jewel,” Hiei assured him, reading his mind. “I'm just passing through.”
 
Shippo thought about this for a second. He should be okay, even if he is after the jewel, Hiei heard the little kitsune think. He doesn't have to know that Kagome disappeared ever since Hiei was taken and took the jewel with her. That surprised him, but, being Hiei, it didn't show on his face. They stared into the fire for a while. Then, while they were deep in their own thoughts, Kaede entered, looking more haggard and tired than usual. She was a bit surprised to see Hiei, but since he didn't seem to be threatening anyone, she didn't think he would harm them.
 
“Are ye a traveler?” she asked him, jerking him out of his thoughts.
 
“Yes. I have yet to decide where to go next, but I'm just passing through.”
 
“Stay as long as ye need. If ye mean well, ye are welcome to stay as long as ye would like.”
 
“Thank you,” he replied, being far more polite than he normally was. It was the atmosphere here; it reminded him too much of when he was a happy and helpful child with the shard hunters.
 
“Shippo, I think it is time for ye to be in bed.”
 
“Aw, but Kaede,” whined Shippo, but she was firm.
 
“Ye are still a growing child, and need your sleep. Bed!” He slumped towards the room where Hiei once stayed with the shard hunters.
 
Kaede sighed and put one of her hands on her lower back. “I am not as young as I used to be. I'm afraid that I must retire as well. If there is anything ye need, just wake me.” She made her way to her bedroom in slow, painful steps.
 
Hiei continued to stare into the fire. His thoughts were in a jumble; the only reason he wasn't arguing with himself. The flames lit up his ruby eyes, which were looking at nothing in particular. His arms were wrapped around his knees, and his chin rested on top of them. Anyone looking in at that moment would have seen a vulnerable child, not a hardened former assassin. It hurt to think about much of anything, so he just stared at the fire, mesmerized by the dancing light and thinking of nothing.
 
This was how Sango found him, looking like a lost child. She was still carrying Robin, who was still holding her head. The blacksmith refused to stop pounding, and the hammer continued to try and break her head apart. She whimpered with each step Sango took, but Hiei didn't notice, so lost in the flames that he didn't realize they were even there.
 
Sango put Robin by the fire and whispered, “I'll be right back with something what will ease your headache.” She only got a whimper of pain as an answer.
 
Sango left for the hut where the herbs were kept, leaving Robin with the silent Hiei. The fire crackled, and she cringed, crying out softly. That small noise caused Hiei to finally come out of his thoughts. He looked over and saw something on the other side of the fire. He crawled over, and saw it was Robin Sena, looking the exact same way she did when he was a child. She was curled into a ball, holding her head with a pained expression on her face. Her eyes were firmly shut, enforcing the pained look on her beautiful face.
 
“Robin,” he whispered. She whimpered again, her hands covering her ears more firmly. His shadow fell on Robin's face. She opened her eyes, looking at him with the agony she was feeling echoed in her eyes.
 
“Who are you?” he barely heard her whisper.
 
“A friend,” he replied. She winced, her suffering apparent to him.
 
He stroked her head, running his fingers through her hair, like he used to do when she held him. He still thought that this was an illusion, so he was going to enjoy being with his adoptive parents while he had time with them. He could tell that her suffering was slowly fading as he rubbed her head. Somehow her head made it to his lap, and he held her close to his body while he massaged the pain away.
 
Sango came in at this point. She startled them, making Hiei start to jump away, but Robin grabbed him and held on for dear life. Not wanting to cause her more pain, he settled down, and Sango approached them. “Here, this will get rid of the pain,” she said, eyeing Hiei warily.
 
Robin drained the cup. “Thank you, Sango,” she said, relief evident in her voice. “That was just what I needed.” Still, she didn't remove her head until Sango cleared her throat and looked at them pointedly. Robin was gone in an instant, apologizing to Hiei and thanking him for making the pain more bearable until Sango came.
 
“Don't mention it,” he said, already turning back to the fire, not wanting to see them watch him like he was a snake they weren't sure would bite or not.
 
“Did Inuyasha come in with Kagome?” asked Sango.
 
“I didn't notice them come in if they did. Did someone come in while she was gone?” Robin asked Hiei.
 
“No,” was all he said.
 
“They have to around here somewhere. I'll go look for them. Oh, and I have to see where that lecher went off to.”
 
“He might be in the road still, where Kagome and I ran him over,” called Robin to the retreating demon slayer. When Sango had gone out, she turned to Hiei, who had his back to the fire. “Who are you?” she asked curiously.
 
She doesn't know me. That thought was still saddening, even though this was just an illusion. Of course, she couldn't see him very well because he was in shadow due to the fact that his back was to the fire. “I'm a traveler. I was just passing through, but now I have to figure out where I'm going next. The miko that lives here offered me a room as long as I need one.”
 
“Yes, Kaede is kind, and does this to every traveler,” said Robin, laying by the fire.
 
“If you don't mind my asking, how did you come to be in such pain?” he asked.
 
“It was a stupid mistake I made,” she replied. “Kagome, a friend of mine, and I were racing, and I got distracted. She managed to jump away, but I ran into someone, and we rolled out of the village, and some ways down the road. I think I came out the worse of the two, since I'm human, and the person I ran into was a hanyou.”
 
“Inuyasha?” he whispered, not meaning for it to be heard, but it was anyway.
“Yes, how did you know that?” she asked in surprise.
 
“Oh, um,” he muttered, buying himself time to think, “He's the only hanyou in this area. There's no one else it could be.”
 
He looked at her again, and saw tears running down her face. “What's the matter?” he asked in confusion, wondering if it was something he'd said that upset her.
 
“I'm sorry. It's just that Kagome and I haven't been back here since someone we considered a son was taken from us. He was just a child, and bandits took him.”
 
He was silent for a moment. “What was his name?” he asked.
 
“Hiei.” It seemed like a dam had broken inside her, and she bowed over, overcome by her hidden emotions coming to light. He hesitantly moved to her side, rubbing her back as Kagome once did to him. She shifted so that now she was crying on his shoulder. He held her, letting her cry herself out. How long will this illusion last? It's starting to go wrong. They didn't care for me; they never even tried to look for me! This shows how much the maker of this illusion knows about my past. Even so, he held her close.
 
Her sobs slowed after a while. “I'm sorry about that, stranger,” she apologized. “Normally I don't act like this.”
 
“It's all right,” he responded. “Everyone needs to cry sometime.”
 
She smiled and looked like she was going to say something, but just then Sango returned with Miroku, who was dusty and still had the footprints running up him, Inuyasha, and Kagome. Sango ignored them, and led Miroku, who was still dazed, to the bedroom, followed by Inuyasha and Kagome. Robin smiled at him and said a quick “Good night” before following the others into the room. He was alone again.
 
He went back to his original side of the fire, and watched it, only to be interrupted again. Kagome walked in and sat on the opposite side of the fire, her face also streaked with tears. What is it today with my mothers and crying? “Is something the matter?” he asked, concerned.
 
She shook her head. Only more tears leaked out, calling her bluff. “Your face says otherwise. You don't have to say anything, though. Just ignore me.”
 
She did just that. Tears still made their way down her face while she watched the fire and he watched her. Then, to his astonishment, her tears turned into Hiruseki stones. “Are you a Koorime?” he asked.
 
“What?” she asked back, confused.
 
“You cry Hiruseki stones; only the Koorime do that.”
 
This only caused her tears to fall faster. “Have you heard of the Shikon Jewel?” she asked him. He nodded. “It knew how I felt about someone who had just been taken from me, and it made me cry Hiruseki stones from then on. I guess it thought that it made me closer to him. The guardian didn't know how it happened; it still baffles her to this day.”
 
“Was it…Hiei?” he hazarded. She stared at him. Hard. More like glared.
 
“How do you know?” she asked, her voice like steel, though tears still leaked out of her hazel eyes. “Were you one of the thieves that took him from me?” Her voice was steadily rising. It was shocking that Inuyasha didn't come barging in, demanding that Hiei explain why he was upsetting his mate.
 
“No, but Robin had a similar breakdown before you arrived, and told me. She said that you considered him to be your son.”
 
The anger left her. “I did. I still do,” she whispered. “They took a part of me that day.”
 
“He probably misses you,” he said, thinking of how he felt when he had first been taken back. “If you want him back so much, why don't you go after him?”
 
“Do you think we haven't? I would search the entire world for him, except he isn't here anymore. They took him to Makai, where we can't follow. It's impossible for us to get him now. If I had just kept a closer eye on him, maybe he would still be here. It's too late to think about what ifs. They probably killed him by now. He's young, and bandits don't have time to raise children.” She tucked her knees into her chest and wrapped her arms around them, just like Hiei did when Shippo went to bed. She quietly sobbed into her arms; Hiruseki stones flowing like a waterfall.
 
Again, he went over to her side of the fire, and comforted her the best he could. When she calmed down, she looked at him and said, “Thank you. I don't even know you, and you've helped me. I'm not normally like this. It's just that you remind me of him so much. You have the same hair color, eyes, and expressions he did.”
 
He smiled, his muscles stretching a bit since it had been awhile since he last smiled. This is one messed up illusion. However, doubts were now creeping into his mind. What if they really did look for me? I didn't know they couldn't get to Makai from here. “Perhaps we're related.”
 
She sniffed, then asked, “What's your name, stranger?”
 
He hesitated. “My name isn't really important. It will only cause you pain.”
 
“No, tell me. It's better than calling you `stranger',” she said.
 
He got up and moved back to his side of the fire. “They call me Hiei.”
 
She visibly stiffened. “That's not funny. What's your real name?”
 
“That is my real name. I told you that it would only cause you pain if you knew.”
 
They were both silent for the next few minutes. He could tell that she was tired and confused, not a good combination if you add sorrow to the mixture. Her emotions were chasing each other, causing her mind to be thrown into turmoil. Finally, she got up and said to him, “It was nice talking to you. Good night.” She left him.
 
I suppose I'm staying out here, he thought, not knowing where he was supposed to go, since Kaede had neglected to tell him, and no one else stuck around long enough for him to ask. He lay down, falling asleep with the warmth of the fire on his face.
 
~*~