Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Reunited ❯ Chapter 13

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I meant to update last weekend, I really did, but I got sick. Sick = can't even keep water down and had to stay near a bathroom, so I wasn't able to get near a computer. I apologize, and if I can get my English homework done, I'll update again.
 
Kurama'sFoxyMiko: I don't blame you for trying to catch up on schoolwork. That's what I'm doing this weekend. Right now, in fact. I didn't update last week for the reason mentioned above, but I'm updating right now. That could be viewed as soon to some people.
 
Serena SilverMoon: Nice to hear from you. I'm happy that you liked this story and the last one. No one knows that Inuyasha is building something; he's not the most talkative person when it comes to personal things, you know? The STN will always look for them; that's the nature of their job. The boys will eventually go down the well, but unfortunately, not now. That'll take awhile. Think you can wait a bit longer? Hopefully it'll be worth the wait.
 
~*~
 
Serena was watching the rain come down in front of her new home in Juuban. It had only been three days since their break had started, and she was already bored. It didn't help that it had rained every day since she had been here.
 
Getting fed up of sitting around all day, she called to her mom that she was going out to the mall. “Okay,” her mom replied. “Just be back by seven.”
 
She took her umbrella and ran out into the rain. Within fifteen minutes, she made it to the department store. More happy than she had been since the Sailor Senshi threw her off the team, she shopped around and made her purchases. She was so busy that she didn't notice the time slipping by. Glancing at a clock, she gasped. “It's nine already?! My mom's gonna kill me!” She rushed out the mall after making her last purchase.
 
Unfortunately, she ran into a thug right outside a dark alley. He grabbed her throat and pulled her roughly into the alley. She didn't like the looks of this, and it didn't get any better when he, still holding her throat, preventing her from screaming, started ripping her clothes off. He isn't! He continued to take of her clothes and started removing some of his own. Oh, Lord, he is! He threw her down onto the dirty street, stunning her for a few crucial seconds. It hurt when she was shoved to the hard pavement, but what hurt most was the knowledge of what was coming next. She squeezed her eyes shut, trying to block out what was happening.
 
She heard him grunt in surprise, then fly off way too fast for him to have been unaided. She opened her eye to a slit, and what she saw made them widen. He was clawing at his neck as if he couldn't breathe. She could see that there was a current of wind that was wrapped around his neck, choking the life out of him. His eyes were wide, and his attempts to get rid of the ribbon of wind that was throttling him were steadily weakening. A few more tries, and it released him. He fell back, his lifeless eyes unseeing.
 
She put her clothes on in a rush, not wanting to be near the dead thug any longer than necessary. However, she stayed too long. A man dressed in black stepped out in front of her and said, “You will have to come with me.”
 
There was something about him that told her that if she did, something bad would happen. “I didn't mean to kill him. He was trying to rape me.”
 
The man just said, “You have to come with me, witch.”
 
Remembering Robin's warning about these people, she decided to take her chances with trying to outrun him. She whirled and, bags in hand, caused winds to blow dust into his eyes and lift her up over the wall. She hit the ground running as soon as it lowered her down. If I go home, she thought wildly, they'll come after my family. I can try to get back to Tokyo; yeah, that's what I'll do.
 
She just about flew down the road towards Tokyo. To her surprise, the man didn't follow her. Maybe he doesn't know where I am, or where I'm going. She tired after a few miles, but she forced herself to keep going with the images of what they'll do if they caught her. She eventually picked up a kind of mantra to keep herself going. It wasn't much, but it was something that she focused on and it kept her going. Must keep going, must keep going…
 
~*~
 
Kagome watched Miroku and Sango prepare their just finished home. They were so proud of it, and she could tell that it was made with many children in mind. Unfortunately, it was in the middle of Inuyasha's Forest, so it wasn't exactly close. I wonder when they'll have time to raise a family. She had recognized Sango's aura had altered to the brightness of motherhood, but didn't say anything. It was Inuyasha who congratulated them last night, telling them that Sango was expecting twins. Evidently neither of them had known, but were happy all the same. In fact, Sango was practically glowing now.
 
The one thing that puzzled her now was the fact that Hiei was still here. He had said that he was a wanderer, but then he announced that he decided that he liked this village, and felt like staying for awhile. But that was nothing compared to Inuyasha's reaction. He did nothing. She thought that he would've made some fuss about a demon staying in his village, but he supported Hiei the whole way. They had even taken to hanging out, in a way. Their behavior puzzled her to no end, but she didn't say anything about it.
 
Gazing at the road, she saw a lone figure coming up towards the village. This seems to happen a lot, she thought to herself as she went to greet the stranger.
 
“Hello,” she told the person, who happened to be a girl around her age.
 
“Hi, who are you?” the girl asked.
 
“I'm Kagome,” she replied. “I stay in that village over yonder.” She pointed to Kaede's village.
 
“You must be new,” said the girl. “I'm a miko in training there, and I don't remember seeing you.”
 
“A miko in training?” asked Kagome.
 
“Yes. Kaede is getting old, unfortunately, so she's been training me to be her successor. She left me in a neighboring village as a final test. I've been there for as long as she asked me to, and now I'm going to have her name me a real miko, and her successor.”
 
“Wow, good for you,” said Kagome. “She hasn't mentioned you, but it probably slipped her mind; she is a bit aged, as you said. What's your name?”
 
“I'm Kira,” she said. “Who are you?”
 
“I'm Kagome,” she replied.
 
Kira suddenly grew cold. “I see. So you're the guardian of the Shikon no Tama.” She eyed Kagome speculatively. “You don't seem very strong; certainly not strong enough to be the guardian of something so powerful as the Shikon Jewel.”
 
This girl has some serious mood swings. Kagome made a mental note of that. “I do well enough,” she said, a little disconcerted at the sudden change in Kira's mood. “It hasn't been stolen yet.” Well, except for that one time that a fox stole it from me for a few seconds. But she doesn't have to know that. “Why do you care if I guard the Jewel?”
 
Kira glared at her. “I don't want it to be stolen by a demon or a greedy human! The only way to ensure that it doesn't is to guard it myself. So I'd appreciate it if you handed it over.” She held out her hand imperiously.
 
Kagome drew away from her. “I don't think so. It was entrusted to me, and that's how it's going to stay!”
 
Kira sighed and looked at her like she was explaining the obvious. “The Jewel has always been entrusted to the mikos of this village, and it should remain so. Now, hand over the jewel, and I won't have to hurt you.”
 
Kagome was trying not to laugh now. “I'm sorry, but there's nothing you can do to hurt me if you mean to use your miko power.” She gave in to laughter, and walked ahead of Kira. Feeling the young girl gather her power together, she readied herself for an attack. It came flying towards her back, but, without turning around, she put up a hand and absorbed Kira's attack into her body and merged it with her own power.
 
Kira gasped in shock. “Th-that's not possible!” she stammered.
 
“Of course it is,” Kagome tossed over her shoulder. “Did you think that the Shikon Jewel would leave its protector without some way of defending herself? Anyway, I'm a miko myself.” She left the astonished Kira behind her and walked back into the village. She heard Kira's footsteps running to catch her, but she ignored her. They both reached Kaede's hut at the same time. Kira shoved Kagome to the side with her shoulder, and entered the hut of her master. Kagome followed after a few seconds and found Kira and Kaede talking together.
 
When she saw Kagome, Kira brought up her complaint again. “Kaede-sama, this girl claims to be Kagome, the guardian of the Shikon no Tama.”
 
Kaede looked up and nodded, smiling at Kagome. “Aye, she is the bearer of the Shikon Jewel.”
 
“How come this CHILD is the guardian of the jewel?” she demanded.
 
“Who're you calling `child'?” asked an annoyed Kagome. “We're the same age!”
 
“She has been chosen to be the guardian by Midoriko herself. It is not for us to gainsay her. You had best accept it, and be content.”
 
“How can I be happy when this child is in possession of the Jewel that strong demons will come for miles to get? It will only be safe if it is in my care!”
 
“Ye may think so, Kira, but ye are still young. Go and put your things away; tonight, you will become the miko of this village.”
 
Kira bowed to Kaede and made her way to one of the rooms that Kagome assumed Kira stayed in. Kaede shook her head, and spoke to Kagome. “Please excuse her. She's just a child, and thinks she knows everything.”
 
“I understand, but why does she have to insist on taking the Jewel from me?”
Kaede sighed. “She thinks that she's all-powerful. She refuses to believe that there is someone that is more powerful than she is. It can be a good thing, but it is also a hindrance to her ability to see the potential in others. She's ambitious, and wants more power. But I would not have chosen her if I didn't think she would become a good miko for these people.”
 
“She seems to be a little too ambitious. She ordered me to hand over the Shikon Jewel when I told her who I was. I'm sorry, Kaede, but I don't think we'll get along very well.”
 
“Just give her time. She'll come to accept that ye must bear the jewel, as Midoriko dictated. Kagome,” she said, her voice going grave, “my time on this earth is coming to an end. I'm naming her miko of this village, and then it won't be long before my demise comes.”
 
“Don't say that!” said Kagome, horrified at the thought of Kaede not being there with them anymore. “You'll live for a long time after tonight. You will!”
 
“I'm an old woman, and my life has been well-spent. I only wish my elder sister Kikyo could have lived as long and as well.”
 
“We all do,” whispered Kagome, remembering the woman that had sealed Inuyasha to the Goshinboku over fifty years ago.
 
“I know I am going to die soon; I've known for a long time now. I'm not as strong as I once was, and_” She bent over in a fit of coughing. When the coughing stopped, she continued. “And the sickness has sapped me of my strength for many nights now. That's why I must make her a miko at once.”
 
“Oh, Kaede,” said Kagome quietly, her voice filled with sorrow. It was then that Inuyasha and Hiei showed up and saw Kagome and Kaede together. They both knew something was wrong by the tears in Kagome's eyes and the sadness in Kaede's.
 
“What happened?” asked Inuyasha, worried that something terrible had happened.
 
“I'm dying, Inuyasha,” said Kaede. “I'm naming Kira my successor tonight.”
 
He stood still, in shock, and Hiei, not knowing what was going on except that Kaede was dying and Kagome was sad, did the same.
 
“Kaede,” whispered Inuyasha, “you can't die. You're still needed. You can't leave us.”
 
“I don't have a choice, Inuyasha,” she said hoarsely. “I know my demise is coming. That's why I have to name Kira my successor.”
 
His ears flattened at the sound of her name. Kira didn't like any of the shard hunters, but she hated Shippo and Kirara because they were demons. However, that was nothing compared to the way she treated Inuyasha. She couldn't believe that a human would willingly take a demon as a mate, and snubbed him whenever she could.
 
“You could name Kagome as the resident miko,” he suggested.
 
“Nay, that would not be satisfactory. Kagome is not here all the time, so the villagers would have to wait for her to come back if they needed her. It must be Kira.”
 
~*~