Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Reunited ❯ Chapter 14

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I've been busy with the school play, so I've been hard pressed to even finish my homework, much less update. Sorry about that, guys. Anyway, I'm here right now, so I'll just update before I go to bed. Yes, it's early, but the time switch is killing me.
 
Serena SilverMoon: Poor Serena just doesn't get a break. Saving the world from whatever comes at it, and then her teammates dump her. And after that, her wind Craft wakes up and now she has to run from the STN. Kagome and Kira don't exactly get along anyway, but she'll listen to Kaede's wishes. The old lady's dying, so it's the least she can do. I'd tell you about Hiei, but that's going to happen in this chapter…I think. We'll see. The STN boss is under a lot of stress since he has to prove that the Orbo is a good substitute and worth Solomon's time to make and use against the witches, even though it deteriorates the user's health. I imagine that his health isn't all that hot even without the stress. It's so sweet of you to be happy I'm better. It warms me up inside.
 
Kurama'sFoxyMiko: Kira's supposed to be like that. No one is supposed to like her, but she's the only person qualified to take over Kaede's job. Sure, Kagome could do it, but she's traveling back and forth constantly, and the village needs a miko who will stay there and be there for them at all times. Someone will put Kira in her place, but it won't be Kagome. It is someone we all know and love, though. Life got in the way of the updating, but now that the play's done, I'll have more time to put up new chapters. Maybe I'll even get to the next story. Or maybe I'll put up one of my other ones. It's an Inuyasha crossover like this one, but it's just Inuyasha and a game called Golden Sun. I'll think about it.
 
~*~
 
While they were talking, Kira was unpacking the few items she brought with her. How DARE they try and keep the Shikon Jewel away from me! It's my right to be the protector of it! And Kaede sided with them. My own mentor! How could she?
 
Now she started pacing around her small room. Don't they know that if anyone but I guards the Jewel, it will be taken by someone? They only way to ensure that it remains safe is to keep it under my own eye. Why can't they understand that? Angry tears started to form in her eyes. I know I haven't reached my full potential yet, but I'm still stronger than anyone else around these parts. Why can't they see that? Oh, now I see what they're up to! They don't want me to realize my full potential. They're trying to limit my power by keeping the Jewel away from me. It won't work! When Kaede dies, I will demand that they hand over the Jewel.
 
As nasty as that sounded, Kira really didn't want Kaede to die. After all, the old miko took her in a few months ago as an orphan, and raised her like a daughter. So she really was fond of the old woman, but as long a she lived, Kira couldn't possess the Sacred Jewel of Four Souls.
 
She calmed herself down, and exited her room to be with Kaede again, so they could prepare for tonight. She entered the room and saw Kaede still talking with Kagome, only the half-breed was there, too. And behind them was a small man, looking at them like he was a bit lost. Hey, he's cute! Short, but cute, Kira thought. He must be new; I don't remember seeing him before.
 
“Um, Kaede-sama,” she began, “shouldn't we begin preparations for tonight?”
 
“Yes, child,” said the aged woman. “We should start immediately. Would you three go and alert the villagers that a new miko is being appointed tonight?”
 
“Yes, Kaede,” they murmured.
 
When they left, Kira turned to Kaede and asked, “Who is that short man? I don't remember seeing him before.”
 
Kaede smiled. “Him? He was a wanderer, but somehow Inuyasha managed to convince him to stay in the village for a little while. Are ye looking for prospective mates already?”
 
“Well, he is good-looking,” she said in her defense. “In fact, he's downright gorgeous.”
 
“I wouldn't go courting him,” counseled Kaede. “He is not human. He may not look like one, but he is a powerful demon. And he's a rare one. In fact, I've only felt one other like him, and he was taken not even six months ago.”
 
“Forgive me for doubting you, but he is no demon. There is not even a trace of demon in him,” insisted Kira. “I would have felt it if he was a demon.”
 
“You will find out in time, Kira,” sighed Kaede. “Now let us ready ourselves for tonight.”
 
~*~
 
The whole village watched the ceremony that night. Kagome and Robin stood with the other shard hunters, and watched Kira's aura change from blue to the pink of a miko. It was gradual, but it was interesting to see how it kept changing during the whole ceremony until it turned completely miko pink at the end. There was cheering and clapping, then celebrating. Kagome took the shard hunters aside and said, “I don't think it would be a good idea to remain here for now. How would you guys like to come and help Robin and me at my home?”
 
Inuyasha readily agreed, but suggested, “Why don't we stay for a little while? At least until the old bat is gone.” There was no doubt as to who he was talking about. The others agreed to go with Kagome and Robin, but not until Kaede died, which they all sensed was soon. Too soon.
 
The next day, Kaede was stuck in bed because of her sickness. It was then that Kohaku returned to them after going to the old demon slayers' village. When he heard that Kaede was sick, he immediately went to her and refused to leave her side. He almost didn't say hello to Kagome and Robin when they stopped by. When night came around, she could barely breathe. Hiei stopped by to see her, and when Kohaku left to get some rest, he said, “You can't die. These people need you.”
 
She tried to chuckle, but it turned into a coughing fit. “I knew I would die soon. There is nothing I can do now.”
 
“They need you,” he insisted.
 
“They really don't, stranger,” she said. “They will be all right.”
 
“You did many good things in your life,” he said softly. “The one I remember the best was when you took in an orphan fire Koorime, and let him stay here with the other shard hunters. You didn't turn on him, like his family did.”
 
“Hiei?” she whispered in disbelief. “It can't be!”
 
“I'm an older Hiei from Kagome's time,” he told her. “But I remember the kind things you did to me, and I have no wish for you to die after all that. If there is anything I can do to stop it, please tell me, and I'll do it. If it costs my life, then it will be forfeit.”
 
“Nay, there is nothing you can do,” the old lady wheezed. “But do tell the others. They have missed you so much.”
 
“Inuyasha already knows, but the others won't be able to accept me,” he muttered.
 
“Ye underestimate them,” chided Kaede gently. “They will still love ye. Give them a chance.”
 
“Yes, Kaede,” he whispered, holding her limp hand. He stayed with her for the rest of the night, and the next morning, she died.
 
The entire village was in mourning, for they were all close to the old woman. Inuyasha took her body and, against Kira's wishes, he and the other shard hunters buried her under the Goshinboku. The entire village came out and watched them bury her, tears freely flowing from every face. Even Hiei wasn't unaffected. He had been close to the old miko when he was a child, and she was kind even when she didn't know who he was. Now she was gone, never to see or speak words of wisdom again. It was almost more than anyone could bear to think about.
 
He turned away from everyone else and made his way back to the empty village. He picked up his clothes (he had to borrow some of the villagers' clothes since he didn't have an extra set with him) and set off toward the well at a slow pace, his feet dragging. He heard someone behind him and saw Kira running after him.
 
“Wait,” she called, tears still streaming down her face. “Where are you going?”
 
“It's high time that I left this place,” he replied, his own voice heavy with sorrow at the loss of Kaede. “I might return someday, though I don't know when.”
 
“Please, don't go,” she pleaded, falling to her knees and grabbing his ankle. “Don't leave me!”
 
“What do you mean?” he asked, confused.
 
“I've known ever since I first saw you that you were the only man I can take as my mate,” she said, her face still down.
 
It sounded so ridiculous that he stared at her. “And how did you figure this out?”
 
“I can feel it. We were destined for each other. Please don't leave me.”
 
“I'm sorry, Kira, but we weren't destined for each other.” She jerked her head up. “I've seen how you treat Shippo and Kirara. You hate them because they are demons. Why wouldn't you do the same to me?”
 
“You aren't a demon,” she said.
 
“On the contrary, I'm a fire Koorime. Or, a fire and ice demon.”
 
She got to her feet, shocked. “But you don't have a demon's aura,” she said, dazed.
 
“Just because you can't see it doesn't mean that it isn't there,” he stated and walked away, leaving her to stare after him.
 
He came to the well and jumped down it, just as Inuyasha said to. He was once again surrounded by the blue light, and took him to his own time. Quickly leaving the Higurashi Shrine, he sped across town to Kurama's home. He leaped through the window, as was his custom, and waited for Kurama to come in. He didn't have long to wait. The fox came out of the shower with nothing but a towel around his waist, which he nearly dropped when he saw Hiei sitting on his bed, waiting for him.
 
“Hiei!” he cried, forgetting about the towel until it started to slip off. He made a grab for it and managed to save himself some embarrassment. “Where have you been?” he demanded once the towel crisis had been fixed. “We've been looking for you! Do you know how worried everyone's been?”
 
“Oh, I've been out and about,” Hiei said nonchalantly, knowing that Kurama hated it when he did that. Not giving a straight answer, that is.
 
“Well,” said the flustered fox, “can you turn around for a second while I get dressed?” Hiei complied, staring at the blank wall while Kurama tried to find some clothes.
 
“Hey, Kurama,” he called over his shoulder, “do you think I could borrow your shower? I feel incredibly dirty, and I haven't had a chance to wash in a few days.”
 
“Sure,” replied the fox, distracted by the fact that he couldn't find any suitable clothes for himself and he was having a hard time bending over to check the bottom drawers and keeping the towel on at the same time.
 
“Do you have any clothes I could borrow?” Hiei asked him.
 
Kurama sighed. The whole world is against me today. I can't find any clothes for myself, and now Hiei wants something, he heard Kurama think in exasperation. “I can try and find something that will fit you. I don't think I have anything that small, but I'll look. Just leave your clothes in the bathroom; I'll take them downstairs to get washed.”
 
“Thanks, fox,” Hiei said. He walked into the bathroom, which smelled like the roses that Kurama was so fond of. To be clean is a blessing, he thought as he washed off all the dirt he had accumulated since entering the well. He was especially dirty since he helped Inuyasha build his and Kagome's home, and it was hard working in the dark, when you couldn't see what was in front of you. In fact, you couldn't see anything at all. It was amazing that they were doing as well as they were.
 
He, like Kurama, walked out of the bathroom with only a towel around his waist. He saw a white tank top and jeans laid out for him on the bed, and hurriedly pulled them on while Kurama took the dirty clothes to the laundry. When he came back up, he said, “Stay for dinner. My mother won't mind.”
 
Since he was feeling hungry, and he loved Shiori's cooking, he agreed. He was polite and managed to get through dinner without calling Shuichi “Kurama”. When they were finished, Kurama said that Hiei was “spending the night since his parents were out of town again.” Shiori laughed and said, “He might as well live with us, since his parents don't seem to ever be home.”
 
They said nothing, and the two boys made their way back to Kurama's room. That was when he pounced on Hiei, shutting the door and demanding, “Now, Hiei, where have you been?”
 
“I told you already, fox, I've been here and there,” said Hiei, again giving him a vague answer.
 
Kurama growled in frustration. “That's not a good enough answer, Hiei,” he warned. “Koenma wasn't able to find you; no one could. You had disappeared again.” He glared at Hiei. “You didn't go back to Makai, did you?”
 
“No, as a matter of fact, I didn't,” said Hiei coolly. “And I don't see how it's any of your or anyone's business to know what I do on my spare time.”
 
“All right, Hiei, you don't have to tell me where you were tonight,” said Kurama, conceding defeat for now, “but you'll have to tell me eventually.”
 
Hiei could tell that he had been genuinely worried about him. Still, he didn't have to have every single detail of his life. He was still grumbling when Kurama turned out the lights, and Hiei settled himself on the floor, thinking of how to get back to the Higurashi well to visit the other shard hunters.
 
~*~