Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Reunited ❯ Chapter 18

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'm back. Last week was very stressful for me since a lot of things were due. Over the weekend I had to work on a project, so I didn't have time to get this chapter out. Sorry about that. To show how sorry I am, I'll post this chapter and the next one, which happens to be the last one. If you like it, let me know and I'll post the beginning of the next one.
 
Serena SilverMoon: The STN does get around, though most people don't know about them. Keiko was just one of those lucky people who probably overheard that they needed another worker, and since she was job-hunting, it worked out well for her. Koenma can't make Hiei go to school; the demon just doesn't have the patience to deal with all the ningens there. Yes, the Spirit Detectives will keep visiting the shrine, and they will all stay friends. Whew, so many questions! Hopefully I answered most of them.
 
~*~
 
The rest of the school year went by in a blur. They only had seven weeks left, and there was no word that the get-together of the schools would ever be put into action. Then Yuki, a friend of theirs, ran up to Kagome as she and her fellow housemates meandered towards the school.
 
“Hey, guys, you won't believe it!” she shrieked, trying to get to them.
 
“What happened, Yuki?” asked Robin. “You look like the man of your dreams came and asked you out.”
 
“It's not that good, but it's still good news. They're going through with the overnight!”
 
“I don't see what's so special about it,” said a disinterested Michael.
 
“It means that the last days of school will be used for the overnight! We don't have school for those days. It's required of the students unless a doctor says you can't, or something like that.”
 
“I'll go,” said Kagome, excited at the thought of not having school two days early. “Do you know when it is? Like what time?”
 
“We all come to school, then go to the park. It's not near here, so we have to take buses. I heard that the place is HUGE! It would have to be, to keep four or five schools in it. The schools are zoned, so we're sharing an area with just one school.”
 
“We can't go to another part of the park?” asked Robin, a bit disappointed.
 
“We can, but we'll be sleeping in our `zone'. I think we're sharing with, um, what was it again…” she got a confused look.
 
“Was it Han A' High?” suggested Robin.
 
“No, it started with an `S', I think,” she murmured.
 
“I don't know… do you know a school name that starts with `S'?” Kagome asked Robin, who shook her head no.
 
“Oh.” Yuki slapped her head. “I remember now! It's Meioh High.”
 
They facevaulted. Yuki looked at them and said sheepishly, “Oh, I'm sorry. I was thinking of our school.”
 
They glared at her. “Well, at least you told us,” Kagome told her, always the forgiving person unless she was pushed her too far. “Even if it was the wrong letter.”
 
“Got to go now,” Yuki stated cheerfully. “Must spread the news, you know.” She bounced away as Kagome and Robin recovered from their facevault. “I'm glad I don't have to spend as much time here as I thought,” said Kagome, looking at the human-shaped craters she and Robin left in the cement.
 
“Bib he hay Maow Hah?” asked Robin, her voice muffled since her head was still stuck to the ground and made her hard to understand.
 
“What? I can't understand you,” said a perplexed Kagome.
 
Robin placed her hands firmly on the cement next to her head. She pushed hard, and was able to lift herself high enough to get up. She barely made it, but with Kagome's help managed to stand on her feet again.
 
“I said, Did she say Meioh High?” Robin repeated.
 
“Oh. Um, yes, she did, why?”
 
“What a coincidence. We know some of those people. They were a big help around the shrine when tourists were here.”
 
A light bulb went off in Kagome's head. “Yeah, I remember now. Don't Yusuke's friends go there?”
 
“Yup. I bet they'll be thrilled. I just hope we aren't put next to them.”
 
“Do you think they'll let us pick where we get to stay?”
 
“I don't know. Let's just go and see, shall we? Hey, where's Michael and Serena?” They looked around and saw that they had already left for their classes. Following their lead, they walked behind Serena to their classroom.
 
When the bell rang, signaling that classes started, Mr. Takenaka once again stood in front of the class and said, “It has been confirmed that the overnight party is going to happen. Now, we will meet here and take buses to the place. It will only be for one night, so don't take too much. We will supply tents. Are there any questions?”
 
“Are we going to choose our tent buddies?” someone asked.
 
“No, we will be telling you where you're staying, and who you will be staying with.”
 
“Does this mean we have to share tents?” someone else asked.
 
“Yes, there won't be any tents that have less than two and more than four. You may find that you're bunking with people from Meioh High; we're sharing the same area. Any more questions?” As there were none, he started class.
 
Again, the weeks flew by in a blur. They were able to go to the Feudal Era during the weekends, which thrilled Kagome and irked Michael, as he had to stay and take care of Sota, who would be staying with a friend while they were away on the school trip. It wasn't too bad since Serena stayed with him; they had to explain things to her since she lived there.
 
At last, the day arrived when they were to stay in a park full of strangers. They were to be told who they were staying with when they got to school. Upon reaching the sheet in front of their class that said who stayed with who, they found that they all would be staying together. Michael couldn't stay with them since he was a boy, but his tent was right next to theirs.
 
The bus ride was uneventful. The view was beautiful, but it was a looooong ride; four hours, to be exact. Kagome couldn't believe how many rounds of “1,000,000 Bottles of Beer on the Wall” they could get through. Now she dreaded the return trip. Serena, her seatmate, had fallen asleep and was leaning against the wall of the bus. Robin and Michael were sitting across from them, but they were having their own conversation, and she didn't want to interrupt. Serena has the right idea, she thought, but it was her curse that she couldn't fall asleep when there were so many other strangers around. So she stared out the window over Serena's sleeping form at the scenery.
 
“Okay, everyone,” said the bus driver from the speakers, “we're almost there. Please get your stuff together and prepare to enter the park.” Sure enough, they arrived ten minutes later. Serena needed to be yelled at and shaken in order to wake her up, but it was done in the end. The students shuffled off the bus and waited for their teacher to lead them to their area. Luckily it was only a few minutes walk from where they were. But after that they still had to find their tent.
 
“What number were we again?” asked Kagome, looking around. “Weren't we in the 300's?”
 
“Yes, our number is 356,” answered Robin distractedly, looking for said number on the tents they were passing.
 
“What kind of order are these tents in?” complained Serena, her head trying to face left and right at the same time.
 
“The odds are on the left and evens are one the right,” Robin said.
 
“Oh,” she said sheepishly. “Do you know if there's a boy side and a girl side of the area?”
 
“There isn't,” Robin responded. “If there was, then how come Michael is staying in the tent right next to ours?”
 
“That's right. Sorry about asking all these stupid questions.”
 
“It's fine. Oh! Ladies, we've arrived,” she announced.
 
The tent wasn't exceptionally big, but with all of them inside, it was roomy enough.
 
“Good thing there's only the three of us,” commented Kagome. “There might not be enough room for another person and not feel claustrophobic.”
 
The other two nodded their agreement.
 
“Hey,” yelped Robin, whose head was outside the tent flap. She quickly brought it back in and said, “Guess who's on the other side of us?”
 
“We give up. Who?” asked Serena.
 
“Yusuke, Kuwabara, and the redhead from Meioh High.”
 
“Oh, no,” groaned Kagome. “We aren't going to get any sleep tonight.” They knew how rowdy those boys tended to get when they were together.
 
“Let's not worry about that right now,” Robin stated briskly. “We still have a long while before it's dark. We might as well go out and enjoy the sunshine while we can. Michael's waiting for us.” They stepped out into the light and explored for a bit. They met Michael in front of some large trees where the buses dropped them off.
 
When the light receded and was replaced by darkness, the teachers came around and lit fires for the students. They were all told that under no condition were the flames to leave the fire pit or there would be dire consequences. Michael chose to stay with them and talk for a bit. The boys he was sharing a tent with had some of their own friends by their fire.
 
“What's wrong, Serena?” he asked in concern, noting that the girl had her knees drawn up to her head and was staring moodily into the fire.
 
“Hm? What? Sorry, I was just thinking about my family,” she murmured.
 
They all looked down. “You know, I'm amazed my family hasn't shown up yet,” said Kagome softly. “As much as I hate Kendal, I still love my mom and grandpa.”
 
“I lived with my mom before the STN,” sighed Michael. “She never knew why I left. Her heart was weak, and she died a couple years after the STN took me.”
 
“Oh, Michael,” Robin moved over and put her arms around him. The other two looked at him with sympathy.
 
“I'm okay with it,” he said. “It happened a few years ago, so it's not as bad as it was then. I mean, at least I knew her. You, Robin, didn't know either of your parents.”
 
“True enough,” she responded, “but how can you miss what you've never known? It doesn't bother me that I don't know who my parents are.”
 
After telling a few more life stories and a couple marshmallow bags later, Michael called the quits. Yawning, he stumbled over to where his tent buddies were.
 
“I think I'll turn in too,” mumbled Kagome. The other two followed her into the tent after putting out the fire. The other girls fell asleep quickly, but Kagome couldn't seem to find a good spot; every sharp rock happened to be right where her back was. Giving up, she stood and walked outside. The only fire still on was the one right next door, the one belonging to Yusuke and his group. As she got closer to them, she could hear their voices.
 
“So, what does the toddler want us to do?” asked Yusuke, looking at his companions and then out into the trees.
 
It was the redheaded Shuichi that answered him. “I'm not sure. He seemed upset about something, but he wouldn't tell me what was wrong.”
 
What are they talking about? Kagome wondered in bewilderment. Everyone knows that toddlers can't talk. What is with them?
 
Kuwabara started talking. “Why can't he give us a break? I mean, we still have lives of our own, and aren't at his beck and call, right?”
 
“I'm afraid our lives are no longer our own,” said Shuichi sadly. “If we don't do as he asks, then there won't be any life except for demon life on this planet.”
 
“That's just not fair,” complained Yusuke. “We never have time to have fun. It's always, `Guys, you have another mission' or `It's time to do your duty as Spirit Detectives again'. I hate it when he does that. I never said I wanted to be a Spirit Detective.”
 
“Life isn't fair,” said a voice that was strangely familiar.
 
The three boys all turned and faced the trees. “I didn't think you'd be joining this conversation, Hiei,” said Shuichi.
 
Oh, that's where I know that voice. It's the other boy from Meioh High.
 
“I can't stand them whining about how life isn't fair, and that sort of thing,” was his cool response.
 
“Care to join us by the fire?” offered Yusuke. Kuwabara looked a little scared, but relaxed when the offer was declined.
 
“I'm fine where I am,” his voice said.
 
“Okay. So,” he turned back to Shuichi, “do we have a mission, or don't we?”
 
“I'm pretty sure he needs us for something, so keep your days free.”
 
“Does it have something to do with Tanner?” asked Kuwabara.
 
Yusuke visibly stiffened, and the redhead nodded affirmation. “I think so. Like I said, he isn't telling me anything.”
 
“If Tanner is involved,” Yusuke threatened tightly, “he'll wish he was never born.”
 
“You do know that we aren't allowed to attack him,” Hiei's voice reminded him. “I would have already done so if I was able to.”
 
“I know, but I really don't like him.”
 
“No one blames you, Yusuke,” Shuichi tried to soothe him. “You have more reason to hate him than the rest of us, but you must still follow those rules. Do you want King Yama to have Tanner get rid of you?”
 
He still looked angry, but didn't look like he was going to kill someone. “I'm turning in for the night,” he said sullenly. “See you guys in the morning.” He and Kuwabara went inside.
 
Shuichi turned to the tree where Hiei's voice seemed to be coming from and said, “Okay, Hiei, I've waited long enough. Tell me where you disappeared to.”
 
Silence. “Hiei,” Shuichi warned him.
 
“Like I said, fox, it's none of your business.”
 
“You're our friend, Hiei, and we worry about you. You should have seen Koenma; he didn't get any sleep the entire time you were gone.”
 
The sound of harsh laughter was heard at this statement. “Of course he'd be worried. Not too long ago I was trying to destroy this world.”
 
“It wasn't because of that. It could have contributed to his worry, but he was more worried like a friend would be.”
 
A heavy sigh. “Will you leave me alone if I tell you?”
 
“Yes, Hiei.”
 
“You probably won't believe me.”
 
“You're my friend. Why wouldn't I believe you?”
 
“Because it sounds so farfetched that even I have trouble believing it.”
 
“Try me.”
 
“Koenma wanted me to check out the Higurashi Shrine, so I did. I found more than I expected to. There's a well there that acts as a time portal, and I happened to fall into it.”
 
“You fell?” inquired a skeptical Shuichi.
 
“Yes, I fell. I tripped over a cat and fell the wrong way. It brought me back to a time in my past. I had only stayed there for a few months, but I recognized it anyway.” He stopped.
 
“Where was it?” prompted his listener.
 
“Inuyasha's Forest and the village of the shard hunters of the Shikon no Tama,” the voice whispered.
 
“I was there also,” mused Shuichi. “That was the place where the miko shot me and I had to flee here to Ningenkai. Did that happen when you were there?”
 
“No. The old priestess Kaede died and her apprentice took over. I left right after that.”
 
“You must have gone after I was killed. I don't remember hearing about a new priestess before I went for the Jewel. Were you there the entire time?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“That's a bit odd. Normally you don't like staying in one place for very long.”
 
“I was raised there for a few months by the shard hunters. They took me in when I was abandoned by thieves, and treated me like I was one of them. Later I was taken back by the same thieves and never saw them again until then.”
 
Shuichi looked like he was going to ask more, but a barrage of yawns stopped him. “I'm sorry, but I think it's time for me to sleep. Good night.” He made a move to put out the fire, but the voice stopped him.
 
“I'll do that later. You get your sleep.”
 
The boy smiled gratefully into the trees and entered the tent. As soon as the flap closed, a figure stepped out of the wooded area and approached the fire. Kagome gasped quietly. It was the same man that claimed to be a wanderer in the Sengoku Jidai a few months earlier. He looked exactly the same; well, he just told his friend that he went to the Feudal Era, so it would be the same person. He sat down by the fire and drew his knees to his chest. Staring moodily into the fire, he failed to notice that Kagome had come up behind him and sat down.
 
“Something on your mind?” she asked.
 
His head snapped up and he jumped into a fighting stance. Seeing who it was, he relaxed and sat back down. “I didn't know you were here,” he said.
 
“I am. Is it that surprising? I mean, I do go to Yusuke's school. Why wouldn't I be here?”
 
He remained silent, not having an answer for that.
 
“Is something bothering you?” she asked.
 
“Not really,” he replied. “I just can't sleep.”
 
“Me neither,” she agreed. “Mind if I keep you company?”
 
“If you feel like it.” They sat in silence for a while, watching the fiery light of the flames in the pit.
 
“When were you going to tell me?” she asked suddenly.
 
She could tell this caught him completely off-guard. “I beg your pardon?”
 
“About going through the well. And that you were our Hiei, our baby boy that was taken from us. Were you ever going to let us know that you were still alive?” Her voice rose with each question, the last one bordering on hysteria.
 
Not wanting to wake up the entire park, he motioned for her to keep her voice down and said, “I wasn't going to tell anyone. Would you have believed me? I don't think so. Besides, you were better off not knowing.”
 
“How can you say that?” Hysteria was in her voice again. “We loved you like you were our son! And now you abandon us?”
 
Seeing that she wouldn't calm down, he covered her mouth with his hand and hissed, “Keep it down! I'm not abandoning you. I just wanted to remember you like you were. How was I to know that you wouldn't try and purify me for what you thought was lying? I wanted to remember you from a time when you loved me. That's all.”
 
He slowly released her mouth when it didn't look like she would break into hysterics again. “But we do love you, Hiei,” she whispered softly. “We always have. No matter what, we wouldn't abandon you.”
 
“If you didn't know it was me, you would,” he shot back.
 
“I know that you're the same boy we took care of. Come back to us.”
 
He looked unsure. “Why?” he asked carefully. “If I go back, then what?”
 
“I'll tell the others. Inuyasha will be the hardest, but--”
 
“You don't have to worry about him,” Hiei interrupted her. “He already knows.”
 
“Nani?!” she asked in disbelief.
 
“He knew my scent, and found out. It would have been too much of a shock to tell everyone then.”
 
“When I get my hands on him…” she muttered to herself. “Do the others know yet?”
 
“No.”
 
“I'll tell them. No,” she said, seeing that he was about to object, “they'll want to know also. They've missed you as well.”
 
“Wouldn't it put undue stress on Sango?” he ventured.
 
“She'll want to see you. And, if you're around, she would have an extra babysitter.”
 
He smiled internally at the image of him trying to look after her twins. “I don't know…” he trailed off.
 
“Please, Hiei,” she begged. “Trust me, they won't hate you or anything. Please?”
 
He was starting to give in. “You could just visit. You don't have to live with us or anything. You can still stay wherever you do right now.”
 
“I don't have any particular place. I stay in trees.”
 
“Oh, then you could live with us! There's plenty of room, and not a whole lot of people to fill it up. Please?” She gave him her best puppy look.
 
He took one look at her face and gave in. “Fine,” he muttered. “If it makes you happy.”
 
She threw her arms around him. “Thank you, thank you, thank you!” she whisper-shouted. Apparently he wasn't used to this behavior; he stiffened when her arms reached him. He relaxed, though, after a few seconds and returned the hug.
 
They returned to watching the fire in silence, only it was a comfortable silence. Kagome started to get tired; her eyes were closing and she had to continually jerk them open again.
 
“I think you should go to sleep,” advised Hiei.
 
“Then what would you do?” she asked, trying not to yawn.
 
“I would put out the fire and sleep in the trees.”
 
“But isn't that uncomfortable?”
 
“Not when you're used to it. Go.”
 
She obeyed, walking drunkenly towards her own tent. Looking back, she saw him put out the fire and leap into the trees. Not giving it another thought she fell into the tent and went to sleep.
 
To her annoyance, Robin and Serena woke her before she was ready to wake up. After screaming at them (they only laughed) she changed and stepped outside where the buses were waiting. She slung her backpack across her back and sauntered over to their bus. This time she sat behind Robin and Michael so she wouldn't have to shout in order to talk to them. Serena got the aisle seat this time and they talked about how they felt about the trip. Using this as a cue, Kagome brought up her run-in with an old friend of theirs.
 
“It really is Hiei?” Robin asked weakly when she finished.
 
“There's no doubt about it. He's our Hiei.”
 
Michael and Serena didn't know who Hiei was, but they'd heard of him in the form of stories that the other two told them. “So, he's alive and coming to the shrine?” asked Serena.
 
“Yes, and I'm going to try and convince him to stay. If that's all right with you guys,” she added hastily.
 
They murmured their assent. “Okay, so he just has to show up now.”
 
They talked of what they wanted to do while they had summer vacation, and they were home a lot quicker than they had thought possible. Everyone said their good-byes, and left for home to celebrate their first day of summer vacation.