InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Enter the Witch and the Miko ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

New Chapter!
 
~*~
 
Robin slowly opened her eyes. The last thing she remembered was being about to die by a giant tree, and it was wet and dark. Now, she was still wet, but it was warm water, and there was light. Am I dead? she wondered. She was no longer in excruciating pain, but there was a dull ache in her shoulder, and her legs were sore.
 
“Oh, you're awake,” she heard a voice say. “We were worried about you. You were quite a mess when we brought you in.”
 
“Where am I?” she managed to croak.
 
“You are at the Higurashi Shrine in Tokyo,” the voice said.
 
Robin sighed. I made it. But how long do I have? A horrible thought occurred to her. What if this person works for Solomon? She dismissed is as soon as she thought of it. No, it couldn't be. This person wouldn't be caring for me, then. She then woke up enough to realize that the speaker was a kind-looking woman, that they were in a large bathroom, and she herself was in a tub full of soapy, warm water. She also realized that she had no clothes on, and the woman was gently cleaning the spot where the Orbo bullet had grazed her.
 
As if the woman could read her mind, she said, “Your clothes were in shreds. But don't worry; you can borrow some of my daughter's clothes. You look like you're the same height and build.”
 
“Thank you, ma'am,” whispered Robin.
 
“Sssh,” soothed the woman. “You shouldn't talk much. What you need is rest.”
 
Robin managed to stay awake while the woman, Mrs. Higurashi, bathed her, feeling self-conscious the whole time. But Mrs. Higurashi was quick, and in 10 minutes she was out of the tub and into a t-shirt and shorts. Mrs. Higurashi half dragged/half led her into a bedroom. “This is where you'll stay for tonight. My room is down the hall and to the right.”
 
“Thank you, ma'am. You've been very kind to me. I will try to repay you somehow.”
 
“Oh, hush. I don't need to payment. You were hurt and needed help, so my family and I helped, and we'll continue helping as long as we can.”
 
“God bless you and your family,” said Robin without thinking. Realizing what she had said, and where she was, she immediately apologized. “I'm sorry. I forgot where I was. This is a Shinto shrine, right?”
 
Mrs. Higurashi waved her apology aside. “It's fine. Even though we live in a Buddhist shrine, we're Christian, except for my father-in-law. He's Buddhist, but the rest of us are Christian.”
 
Mrs. H put Robin on the bed. “I told you where my room is if you need anything. Is there something you need now?”
 
“Where's my phone? It might sound strange, but I need it.”
 
“I'll have Sota, my son, bring it in here. Is that it?”
 
“Yes, ma'am.”
 
“All right. Good night.”
 
“Good night, ma'am.”
 
~*~
 
Kagome woke still feeling tired, but her miko powers were recharged. She dressed quickly and went downstairs to eat breakfast. Her mom was already up, and had made breakfast and restocked her backpack. “Good morning, baby,” she greeted her daughter. “Are you more rested now?”
 
“Yeah, thanks, Mom,” she replied as she ate. “Did you find out who that girl was?”
 
“Not really. She didn't have much energy left for talking once she woke up. But she's a sweet and polite girl. I wonder how she got into that condition. Her being so injured, I mean.”
 
“I don't know. But I don't have time to worry about it. I'll be back soon. Bye.” She put her dishes in the sink, grabbed her enormous bag, and dragged it outside to the well.
 
Once on the other side she threw her bag to the top (it took lots of practice, and a large amount of arm strength), and she climbed out with more ease than yesterday. Picking up her backpack, she hurried towards the village. The sooner we get Kohaku's shard, the sooner we can go looking for the new shard.
 
The villagers were already up and going about their day as usual. They waved as she passed, and continued what they were originally doing. She slowed down as she approached Kaede's hut, and entered through the beaded door. Sango and Kohaku were talking quietly, as were Miroku and Kaede. Shippo, Kirara, and Inuyasha weren't in that room. “Where's Inuyasha, Shippo, and Kirara?” she asked.
 
“Shippo and Kirara left about 5 minutes ago,” said Miroku at almost a whisper.
 
“And Inuyasha?”
 
Sango answered this time. “He's still asleep. After you left, he sort of went into depression mode and went straight to sleep. We figured it would be best if we let him sleep for as long as possible.”
 
“I see.” She sighed. “Well, at least he won't be telling us to go after the missing jewel shard. Let's get started with Kohaku; maybe we can finish before he wakes up.”
 
The all turned to Kaede. “What do we do?” asked Kagome.
 
“First, Kohaku must drink this potion,” Kaede said, holding up a cup. “It will put him to sleep, and he won't be in pain.”
 
Kohaku obediently took the cup from her and drained it. Sango caught him as he collapsed. While she was laying him on the floor, Kaede turned to Kagome, saying, “Ye must take the shard from his back and purify it when I tell ye.”
 
Speaking to Miroku and Sango, she said, “Be ready to stem the flow of blood. It is possible that he could bleed to death if it isn't stopped.” They nodded and got near the comatose 11 year-old with bandages and Kagome's antiseptic wipes. Satisfied that everything was ready, the old miko nodded to Kagome. “Now take the shard.”
 
She swallowed and took a deep breath to steady her nerves. She knelt by him and put his head on her lap. Leaning forward, she put her hand over the shard. She tensed, then pulled it out, her touch purifying the evil inside it. As they watched, his wounds opened and started to bleed freely. But as soon as the opened, Miroku, Sango, or Kaede was on top of it, rubbing antiseptic towels on them and bandaging them. After long minutes of bleeding and bandaging, it was done. Kohaku himself didn't move or make a sound throughout the whole process, even though he now looked like a living mummy.
 
Sango, Miroku, and Kagome went outside after they had scrubbed the blood from the floor and themselves. Kaede stayed inside with Kohaku to make sure nothing happened that would hinder his recovery. They were just looking at nothing, each lost in their own thoughts. Kagome finally broke the silence. “Now we only need one shard. But I don't think we should go anytime this week.”
 
“Why is that?” asked Miroku.
 
“We should probably wait until Kohaku recovers, so he can help. If he wants to stay here, then that's fine, but we also have Inuyasha to worry about. You said he was depressed again, right?” At Miroku's nod, she continued. “He needs time to get over Kikyo's death. Again. He may not know it, but I think it will be for the best. And it gives everyone a chance to recover from that fight with Naraku. What do you two think? Is that a good plan?”
 
Miroku nodded his agreement. Sango looked out over the village for a few more seconds before turning to Kagome, her eyes shining with unshed tears. “We will wait.” That was all she said.
 
She's probably thinking about her old village, Kagome thought sadly. Only she and Kohaku are left of the Demon Slayers Clan. She noticed that Miroku was moving to where Sango stood. He'll break her out of that mood, she thought. Smiling slightly, she left them and went to look for Shippo.
 
She found him playing with some other children in the village with Kirara keeping an eye on them. Kirara glanced at Kagome, then returned her attention back to her charges. Shippo spotted her and ran over. “Kagome! Did you take Kohaku's shard?”
 
She picked up the young fire kitsune and said, “Yes, we took his shard. He's resting now in the hut.”
 
“Is Inuyasha up yet?”
 
“I don't think so. I'll go check, but you can stay here and play if you want. I just wanted to see you.”
 
Shippo chose to stay with the other children, so she walked back alone. It was then that she heard a gasp, the sound of a slap that could be heard for miles, and the scream of “Hentai!!!” that was heard all over Japan. Shaking her head, she walked in on a familiar scene. Sango, looking like a mad bull, had her giant boomerang Hiraikotsu out and was standing over an unconscious Miroku, who had a smile on his mouth and a large handprint on his face.
 
“Th-th-that LECHER!” Sango screamed.
 
“Sango, I know what he did was wrong, but do you really want to wake up Kohaku and Inuyasha?” inquired Kagome.
 
Since she really didn't want a grumpy hanyou on her back or a still injured Kohaku to wake up, she grumbled and sent death-glares toward the still knocked-out Miroku. Kagome shook her head again and entered the semi-dark hut. When her eye adjusted to the light, or lack thereof, she went through the beaded door to where she and the others stayed. Only Inuyasha was there now, which was strange in itself because normally he slept on the roof unless it was raining. She quietly tiptoed over and sat next to him. He looked like he could be awake with his eyes closed. He was in a sitting position with his back against the wall. She shook his shoulder gently and whispered, “Hey, Inuyasha, it's time to get up.”
 
He opened his eyes, eyes still not quite awake. Kagome loved how he looked when he's not really awake. He looked calm and at peace with himself. Too bad that look never lasted very long. The pain re-entered his eyes, and he asked gruffly, “Something you need?”
 
Kagome answered him, “I thought you might want to know that Kohaku's shard is out, and he's resting in the other room. Also, Sango, Miroku, and I have agreed to wait awhile before looking for the last jewel shard. Now, here me out,” she ordered when he opened his mouth. “Sango will either stay here with Kohaku or she'll be thinking about him the entire time and not be as alert as she normally would be. So we have to wait for him to get better. Or, at least past the dangerous stage of recovery.”
 
“I see I'm outnumbered,” he huffed. “Fine, we'll stay until Kohaku is better. Happy?”
 
“Thank you, Inuyasha.” He's so easy to manipulate.
 
“Hey, Kagome?” His voice went soft. “Why are humans so fragile? Why do they die so soon and so easily?”
 
Oh, great, he's depressed again. “That's how we're made. We're mortal, so die more easily than a demon. It's also for that reason we enjoy life more. It comes and goes so quickly, we can't afford to waste out time while we're here.”
 
“I see.” Slowly, he stood and walked out of the hut with Kagome. He stayed with her for the rest of the day. He refused to let her out of his sight. Sango and Miroku, who had finally woken up, noticed this and smiled.
 
This continued for the rest of the week, and the next month. He would only leave her when she was bathing, but he was still always close by. The first time she had any break from him was when there was a call from a neighboring village that a demon was wreaking havoc on them. Sango and Miroku dragged him with them, saying, “If you don't keep up your fighting skills, how will you get the last Shikon shard?”
 
Kagome sighed as she watched them go. “Kaede, why does Inuyasha keep following me?” she asked the aged miko at her side. Instead of her normal school uniform she was in a kimono; her clothes were all waiting to be washed and she hadn't gotten around to doing laundry recently.
 
“Probably he thinks that if you leave his sight for a moment too long, ye'll disappear forever, just as my elder sister Kikyo did, once 50 years ago, and once just a few weeks ago. He's scared, I think. He really loves you, and doesn't want to lose you, too.”
 
“He doesn't love me. Not like that. He gave his heart to Kikyo a long time ago, and there's nothing I can do to change that.”
 
“Nonsense, child. He does love you. He felt like he was obligated to stay with Kikyo while she remained on this earth. However, since she has met her demise once again, he is free to do as he will.”
 
“But he feels like he has to stay with her in death. I don't care if he loves her, but I want him to live and be happy. That's what I've always wanted.”
 
“Believe me, he does want to stay. He may feel that he must follow Kikyo because that is what he believes she wants. When he realizes that she would want him to live, and not die because of her, he will stay.”
 
“How will he find out?”
 
“If I must, I'll tell him tonight. I knew my sister better than anyone else. I know she wouldn't want him to die because he felt obligated to. She would want him to live.”
 
“Then why was she always trying to drag him to hell with her all the time?”
 
“When you took back your soul, a small part was left in her body of clay. I believe that the part of your soul that stayed was the one with the hate and malicious feelings. She so hated Inuyasha that she was able to keep that part of your soul. And that is what influenced her actions. She never would have done those things if she had more than a malicious soul, or part of one.”
 
“I see. What if he still wants to go? What then, Kaede?”
 
“He won't. But, you could help by making him want to stay. I know you love him as he loves you.” This statement caused Kagome to have a blushing fit. Kaede smiled and continued. “Give him a reason to stay, and he will. He is not like that impudent pup you met two years ago.”
 
“He has matured. It was gradual, so I never saw it, but you're right. He was a brat when I first met him. I was probably a brat, too, being only thirteen.” (A/N: I know she was fifteen when they met, but this can be a bit AU. I just like it better this way. And I can do this because I have authoress powers!)
 
“You both have matured a lot since you started looking for the Shikon Jewel shards.”
 
They both would have gone on talking, but Miroku, Inuyasha, and Sango came back just then. Inuyasha, as usual, was complaining about it being a weak demon, and how they didn't really need him to exterminate that weak a demon, and so on. Behind him, Sango and Miroku were trying not to laugh because everything he said was true, and they knew it. However, he never got to the true reason of them dragging him away from the village. He needed to get out and enjoy the scenery, and he needed to get away from Kagome for a while.
 
Kaede greeted them and said to Sango and Miroku, “I have a favor to ask of ye. Come inside the hut, and I will tell ye what ye need to know to find it.”
 
They agreed and followed her into the hut. That left Kagome and Inuyasha, who had gone quiet when Kaede started to speak. Kagome walked to him and asked, “Inuyasha, will you walk with me?”
 
Not expecting this, he nodded dumbly. “Okay, let's go.”
 
They passed the villagers again on their way to the Goshinboku. Neither of them said anything, but there was no need; being in the presence of the other was enough. Reaching the Goshinboku, she made to sit down on one of its roots, but Inuyasha grabbed her waist and jumped into the tree's high branches. Startled, she clung to him, knowing he wouldn't drop her, but not sure that this would be the time he did. He put her on a branch and sat facing her. She looked at him and smiled. He looks so cute like that. She giggled as she thought it. He only looked at her strangely.
 
“Something you wanted to talk about?” he asked.
 
“Oh, not much in particular,” she answered. “It's just been a while since the two of us were alone since the others paired up with us.”
 
“Oh.” More silence. Then, “Kagome, I don't know what I should do. You know, about Kikyo.” He looked away from her. “In a way, I still love her. When she was alive, she was the only one who cared for me after my mother passed away. Now that she's dead, I don't know what to do.”
 
“Inuyasha,” said Kagome softly, “I've learned some things about her that I think you should know. I spoke with Kaede when you were gone to the other village. She knew Kikyo better than any of us, including you. She said that Kikyo wouldn't want you to kill yourself because of her. I know she tried to drag you to hell, but that wasn't the real her. When I recalled my soul, she retained the malicious part of it because of her hatred for you and what she thought you had done. Her actions were influenced by the bad part of my soul; that's why she did all those things. She never meant for you to die because of her. She wanted you to live!”
 
He was silent for a moment. Then, softly, so soft that she almost missed it, she heard him say, “That sounds like the Kikyo I knew and loved once.” His hands curled into fists in his lap. Kagome leaned over and covered one of them with one of her own hands. Her sad eyes looked deeply into his troubled ones.
 
“Please, Inuyasha, stay here.” There was no doubt what she was talking about. “We all want you to stay. We would all miss you.” Still he said nothing. “Inuyasha, will you stay with us?”
 
He finally responded. “I don't know, Kagome. I would like to stay, but I can't promise anything. What if…” He trailed off.
 
“What if what?” she asked.
 
He hesitated, and said quietly, “What if you don't stay? When the Shikon Jewel is complete, what's to keep you from staying in your time?”
 
This surprised her. “You weren't sure if I'd stay after the Jewel is complete? Inuyasha! I'd keep visiting if I could because you're my friends. I wouldn't abandon you after we finished our quest for the shards.”
 
“But you wouldn't stay,” he muttered.
 
“Inuyasha, are you asking me to leave my time to stay here with you?” He had nothing to say; or rather, he didn't say anything.
 
“You would be asking me to leave my family behind. Could you leave your mother if she were still alive?”
 
He sighed. “You see why I can't promise to stay. You'll find someone, and you won't come back here anymore.”
 
Did he just admit he cared about me? “Inuyasha, I don't know what to say. Even if I found someone, there's no one in this world that could stop me from coming back. Besides, you're the only one for me. There is no one else.”
 
He looked shocked to hear that. “I didn't know you cared that much.”
 
She laughed. “I loved you from the moment I saw you pinned to this very tree. It hurt every time you went to Kikyo, but I only wanted you to be happy, so I never said anything.”
 
“If I knew that you were that hurt by me seeing her--”
 
She interrupted him. “You wouldn't stop seeing her. You still loved her more than you loved me.”
 
He looked down. “I'm sorry, Kagome. I never meant to hurt you. Will you forgive me?”
 
“I always have. There's no reason to not do so now. I only want you to be happy.”
 
“What if I want you to stay?”
 
“It depends on how long.”
 
He suddenly moved forward and held her in a hug. “Kagome, what if I wanted you stay with me, to be my mate?”
 
She held him. “I can stay with you, though not always. I do have to finish school and see my family. Being your mate, though…” He held his breath. “I would love to be your mate, but in my time, I won't be ready for another three years. I don't know if you want to wait that long.”
 
“I could wait for eternity for you, Kagome. If you want, you could be my mate in name, and in three years, we could really be mates. Is that what you want?”
 
“If you can wait that long, then that's exactly what I want. Did you want to tell the others?”
 
“I think they already know. They'll figure it out soon anyway.”
 
“I won't tell my family because they'll flip. Grandpa will be worried about having demon great-grandchildren, Mom will be upset that I didn't consult her before agreeing, and Sota will just wonder when his nieces and nephews will be coming. But I don't know how we can keep this quiet. I feel like I'm about to explode I'm so happy!”
 
He hugged her a little tighter, signaling that they were about to jump off the branch. He let go of her waist when they landed, but latched onto her hand instead. That was how they walked back to the village.
 
Sango and Miroku noticed before they let their hands fall away from each other, but said nothing, Sango because she didn't want to destroy the moment and Miroku because Sango would knock him silly if he said anything. That night, Kagome slept in his arms. Still, the other two adults said nothing, and Shippo took his cues from them.
 
The following morning, Kagome started packing. In response to their queries, she said, “I've been away from home too long. I have to let them know I'm all right. I'll be back soon.”
 
For maybe the first time, Inuyasha didn't make a big fuss when she left. He walked with her to the well. “Good bye, Kagome.”
 
“Bye, Inuyasha, I'll be seeing you soon. I promise.” She jumped down the well and went the present.
 
~*~