InuYasha Fan Fiction / Witch Hunter Robin Fan Fiction ❯ Enter the Witch and the Miko ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kurama'sFoxyMiko: I'm glad you thought it was funny. I tried to make it comical, but when I try to do stuff like that, it usually doesn't work, but in this case it did. You just made my day!
 
~*~
 
The next few days were like a blur to Robin. She would help the villagers and those in Kagome's group if they ever asked her. Inuyasha was the one person she rarely saw, and he was always with Kagome when she did see him. She had learned from Sango that he was a hanyou, or half demon. She was told that he was rough around the edges, but was actually kind and caring. Not that he would ever admit to that, of course. He never spoke to her after the first time they met. He would barely even acknowledge her. She was a little wary around him because she knew basically nothing about him. It bothered her more than she was willing to admit that the hanyou made her nervous. In her time, he would be considered a witch, and she kept wanting to call Amon or one of the other hunters to get him. Then she would remember where she was, who he was, and her relationship with the other hunters.
 
She finally got the courage to venture out of the village by herself and decided to walk along the road, just to see what the scenery would be like in this time period. Watching the road, she saw a wagon coming toward her. Unsure if this was an enemy, she looked closer and saw that it was just a boy that was driving it. She stepped off the road so she wouldn't get run over. She immediately had her guard up when it stopped and the boy hopped down in front of her.
 
“You're far from any village, miss. It isn't safe to travel alone.”
 
Surprised by how polite he was, she responded, “Then why are you alone?”
 
“I was trained to be a demon slayer. I can take care of myself. But you don't look like you were raised for that kind of life.”
 
He must be Sango's brother, the one who wasn't supposed to go to the other villages. She hesitated, then asked, “By any chance, is your name Kohaku?”
 
He looked surprised as he replied, “Yes, I am, how do you know my name? Have we met before?”
 
“No,” she assured him. “I heard Kagome asking about you when we came to the village.”
 
“Oh, you know Kagome? Which village are you from?”
 
“Um, I'm from Kagome's village.”
 
“Where is that? I've asked the others, but they only say that it's far away, and she has to return there for some reason.”
 
“Well, it is far away; it's not even on any of your maps.” Do they not know where we are from?
 
“Oh.” He looked disappointed. Then he brightened. “It's too late to continue on to another village. You can stay with me if you want.”
 
“What?” asked Robin in confusion. I was only walking for half an hour. She turned around, and saw only the open road behind her. Turning again, there was still no village. How could I have walked this far so quickly? She accepted his offer after turning in a circle one last time, still trying to find the village.
 
Once the light was gone, Kohaku built a fire for them to see by and warm themselves with. Robin didn't think it was needed for her to unveil her Craft abilities just yet; after all, everyone thought she was just a normal human. She realized then that she was covered in dust from the road.
 
“Is there a place where I can clean off all this dust?” she asked Kohaku.
 
“You're just like Kagome; you both always have to be clean. You come from a strange village.” He pointed her in the direction of the river after warning her to be wary of demons. He even offered to come along and protect her, but she hastily assured him that that wasn't needed.
 
She stripped off her dirty clothes and took them with her into the cold water. She felt like she was being watched, but she ignored it. She submerged herself completely in the water, wishing she had some soap to wash with. Coming back up, she found herself staring into the eyes of a giant lizard. Its yellow eyes were hypnotizing her, boring into her very soul.
 
“Now what would a gentle woman be doing all by herself?” the lizard demon hissed. It gently picked her up with its tail, its eyes still gazing into hers. “That's right, my lovely young human, there's no need to panic. You will be fine.”
 
Panic? she wondered idly. Why would I panic?
 
“Yes, I knew you would be docile, human; you didn't even fuss when I transported you here.”
 
Transported me? Oh, that must be how I got here so fast.
 
It put her down on the other side of the bank, the opposite one where the camp was. It set itself down on top of her, licking her with its tongue, and the part of her brain that wasn't caught under its influence realized it wasn't an it, but a he. And he was on top of her. And she was wearing no clothes. That set off the alarm bells in her mind. Without thinking, she sent her fire onto him. He shrieked in pain, throwing himself into the water. He was furious when he came back up. “How DARE you do that to me, wench!” he screeched.
 
She said nothing, just set him on fire again. When he resurfaced, he charged her. This time she didn't stop sending her fireballs until he was completely incinerated. His dust blew away, and all that remained was a small shiny object. Curious, she picked it up. It was the color of rose quartz, but seemed to sparkle and shine with an unearthly radiance.
 
Walking back across the river and back to camp, she was suddenly hit with what just happened. I was almost violated by a lizard! she inwardly screamed. She was almost sick with how close he actually was to mating with her. Wait a minute. I didn't have my glasses on when I used my Craft. Does this mean I didn't ever really need them? She glanced around. Everything seemed the way it should have been. She tried calling her fire on a dead log in the water. It ignited. Elated, she tried a different object. Each time, it hit its mark.
 
She walked back to the camp in dry clothes (she used her flame to dry them) and was considerably happier than she was five minutes ago, when she was almost taken advantage of by a demon. Kohaku was asleep already when she came by the fire. Following his example, she dreamed of a time when she and the other STN-J members were still friends, or at least weren't trying to kill her.
 
When the sun hitting her eyes woke her, she found that Kohaku had already made breakfast and was waiting for her to wake.
 
“Here, I figured you'd be hungry,” he said cheerfully.
 
“Thank you,” replied Robin, touched at his thoughtfulness.
 
“I think by the end of the day we can make it back to the village,” he said.
 
“Did you find everything that you were looking for?” she asked, seeing the contents of the wagon.
 
“I found the essential things. There was even enough money left over to buy some extra things for the others.”
 
They spent the rest of the wagon ride talking and getting to know each other. Robin kept some things to herself, and she sensed that he did the same thing. They both realized that the other knew that they were keeping things from each other, and accepted that.
 
Just as Kohaku thought, they reached the village at sunset. They rolled up to Kaede's hut, where they started unloading. Kohaku told her where they were to be dropped off, and they finished fairly quickly.
 
When they were finished, and Kohaku had taken the wagon somewhere, they entered the hut where Kaede and the others stayed. Kagome was there with Inuyasha in the room she and Kagome stayed in. Kagome ran to Robin when they entered.
 
“Robin, where have you been? We thought you were attacked by a demon, and tried to find you, but Inuyasha said that your scent disappeared somewhere up the road.” This was a little too close to the truth for comfort. Robin only laughed nervously, thinking of the lizard demon, while Kohaku told of how he met her on the road.
 
Inuyasha finally said something. “That's too far for a human to travel.” He looked at her accusingly. “What exactly happened?”
 
She told them an abbreviated version of what happened, leaving out the fact that she was almost taken advantage of by the demon, and the shiny object. She didn't think that was relevant to the story. She also omitted the fact that she summoned fire to kill him.
 
When she finished, Inuyasha looked at her skeptically. “You really killed a demon with just a heavy stick? That must have been some weak demon.”
 
Robin said nothing to that. Sango, Miroku, Shippo, and Kirara had come in sometime after she started telling of how she met Kohaku. Now Sango sat next to her brother with a protective arm around him.
 
Robin felt like she was going to fall over; she was so tired she could barely see straight. Kaede noticed this and said to the others, “Ye can continue talking in the other room, but this young one needs her sleep.”
 
Obediently they filed into the next room. Robin was just grateful that she was alone; well, relatively alone. They were still in the other room, and she could hear them talking, but she was by herself in this room. She fell asleep to the murmur of their voices.
 
~*~