InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ A Father's Love ❯ Observations by a Kitsune ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I do not own Inu Yasha or YuYu Hakusho. They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi and Yoshihiro Togashi. I make no money off of this, nor do I intend to.

Feedback: Controls the population of my plot bunnies and makes me smile. ^_^ See?

A Father’s Love
Chapter Two:
Observations by a Kitsune

The rising sun found Kurama perched in a tree, a habit he had acquired from his mate. Yusuke used to tease him about it, but a glare from the other had stopped him cold. It was actually quite comfortable to sleep in a tree, especially if one was a fox demon evading assassination.

Hearing vaguely familiar footfalls, Kurama turned to face the road.

A young girl with black hair holding an enormous boomerang. A young man in purple Buddhist monk’s robes with a rosary wrapped around one hand. A small, yellow, kitten-like demon with two tails.

A small fox demon with a large, fluffy tail, his hair back in a bow.

Sango, the young girl, walked with a slight limp, making Kurama think she might be injured. She refused all offers of aid from Miroku, the young man. It was probably for the best, Kurama thought. The kitten demon mewed comfortingly, brushing against her ankles.

The fox demon walked a couple of paces behind the humans. Kurama felt the hairs on the nape of his neck stand on end. Why were they not watching the child?! The Feudal Era, as they knew full well, was a very dangerous place for a full-grown demon, and even more so for a child!

Suddenly, the kit ran in front of the group, heading for Little Kaede’s home. “Kagome!” he called out. The door swung open as Kagome came out.

“Shippo!” she called back as the kit jumped up into her arms.

The fury subsided, and the arch that had developed in Kurama’s back straightened itself out. He could not give himself away, not yet.

He had placed his trust in his brothers and sister, and if nothing else, Kagome had come through for him, even though she never even knew of Kurama’s existence for several months. And Inu Yasha didn’t even know of their relationship. He would have to thank Little Kaede well someday.

Shippo -- by the gods, how he *hated* that name! -- seemed happy. It had surprised Kurama when he had first heard about his family’s death, how the little fox had been taken in by a human girl and a half-demon. Of course, due to that, the kit was not as strong as he could be if he had been fully raised by a kitsune family. There was still time, though. Shippo still appeared no older than seven, although he was fifty-four years old.

Kagome and Inu Yasha were good for him, Kurama had to admit. With Sesshoumaru dropping in from time to time, at least Shippo was getting the training he needed to move up to a two-tail. It wasn’t the specialized training he would get from a pack of kitsune, but it would have to do.

Then there was this situation with Naraku. Kagome had already told him about the sundering of the Shikon Jewel and the quest she was on to reform it. That had soon turned to the matter of Naraku, a demon out to claim the Shikon Jewel and kill Inu Yasha and herself. That was decidedly *not* good for Shippo, as it put him in constant danger that he didn’t have to be in. Sesshoumaru picking fights with Inu Yasha he could deal with. Naraku... Naraku was another matter altogether.

Since arriving in the Warring States Era Kurama had wondered if he would remain and raise Shippo himself or if he would take Shippo back with him to the modern era. The Naraku issue made taking Shippo with him all the more appealing.

But was it truly necessary? Kurama asked himself as Sango and Miroku caught up to the makeshift family. The monk had a Wind Tunnel in his hand capable of sucking up everything around him and someday even himself, true, but he always gave warning before unleashing it.

Sango was a demon slayer, true, but she apparently only slew demons that were a danger to herself and others. The fact that she traveled with two full demons and one half, and that one of those full demons was apparently her pet, bore that out.

Was Shippo really in any danger?

*Yes, of course he is!* shouted Kurama’s parenting instinct. Honokitsu is his child! His child was in a constant state of danger, and who looked after him? A half-demon, a demon slayer, a lecherous Buddhist monk, and a human! *Kuwabara* would be a better protector than this raggedy bunch! He had to take Honokitsu back with him to the modern era and raise him properly!

Shaking to rid himself of the uncharacteristic mood swing, he watched as Kagome helped Sango into the house, Miroku hanging back a pace. Given Kurama’s demon eyesight, he could tell that Miroku wasn’t ogling her, but genuinely concerned for Sango’s well being.

He would wait for now, both to come out of the tree and to make his decision about where he and Honokitsu would go -- even if he would tell him about their relationship to each other.

And as he had made this trip without informing anyone -- even his mate -- he would have to find out what he thought of this.

~~TBC...~~

Glossary:

Kitsune: Fox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~