InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Cavern ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha or YuYuHakusho.
~Cavern V~
“Shit! Are you okay?” Yomi rushed over to her once the white clad figure had completely disappeared from sight, meshing into the darkness beyond as if he had never been. Exactly where he had gone, Kagome didn't know, and at this point, she didn't particularly care. As far as she was concerned, she was done with Youko Kurama, and she was sure he felt the same way. “Hey, can you hear me?” Yomi called. “Hellooo?” He waved a translucent hand in front of her eyes.
She raised her head, but did not get up off the floor. Her mind was still dazed.
“Jeez, girl, you look - I'm gonna have to be frank with you - you look like hell. Kurama didn't break your arm did he?”
She shook her head to signal a brief `no', and he sighed in obvious relief. “Phew! That's lucky. I don't think the Prince'd be too pleased if he found out I let you get injured, especially before you even got on the job.” His gaze took in the drawn, blank look on her face and he began to backtrack hastily. “Er...not that that's the only reason I care, of course! But you know...there's not much I can do to help, being dead and all.”
Kagome nodded. “I understand.” Her voice was oddly sombre, lacking its usual warmth.
Slowly, she picked herself up, making sure not to add too much pressure onto her injured wrist. She looked down at it. It wasn't too bad - she'd had worse in her time, and she knew what broken bones felt like - that had been nowhere close. As much as she hated to admit it, Kagome knew that she'd been lucky, that she could have had far worse done to her by the powerful demon thief. But still, in some way this minor, near irrelevant injury seemed to hurt her so much more than any of the others she'd had, and the pain refused to stop, spreading endlessly throughout the rest of her body.
Why am I reacting this way? It's not as if he was anyone important to me. It wasn't like he was her friend or anything. So why, she asked herself, did she care? Air gushed from her mouth as she exhaled; exasperation causing her body to leak out the tension clogged up in her pores. Nothing made sense right now. Her muscles were stiff, tensed from all the drama of the day. She felt as if she could have been dreaming for all the crazy things that had happened to her. And in just one night too. Unbelievable really. She wondered if the others would believe her story when she eventually got out, before remembering that the chances she'd be leaving this place anytime soon were practically null and void. She felt the beginning of tears pricking at the corner of her eyes and she stubbornly forced them back. If she'd learnt anything in her days time travelling, it was that crying wasn't going to solve any of her problems.
“You really need to stop spacing out like that,” Yomi commented, shaking his head. “You know if I wasn't already used to you, I'd be pretty offended by now. It's not normal for a pretty girl to pay such little attention to me. I'm actually quite hurt.” He smiled, revealing the lie to his words. Quirking his lips upwards, he allowed the pointy tips of his sharp teeth to peek through. “In case you haven't noticed,” he huffed. “I am seriously good-looking. You really should be taking time to appreciate that fact.”
Kagome blinked, surprised despite herself. Is this guy for real? She felt amusement burst up within her, eroding the crumbling mass of anger and pain. “Oh really?” She teased back, suddenly grateful for this heaven-sent distraction.
He nodded seriously, grin firmly in place. “Oh yeah. The dead girls - they're all over me. Back in Reikai they have fights just for my attentions. Not the little kiddie ones, but real girl-on-girl cat fights.” He laughed abruptly, tossing back his head. “Once, one of the girls got so beat up that she would've died if ... you know, she wasn't dead already.”
This time she couldn't resist grinning back. It was hard to stay morose when faced with that kind of crazy attitude.
“Soooo....” he looked at her again. “What's your name, kid? I don't remember you telling me.” His face was cheery, eyes filled with an unearthly light that glinted in the harsh surroundings.
She stared at him, startled once more. He was right. There hadn't exactly been any proper introductions between them besides the quick mention of his name and his connection to Youko - and he wasn't likely to have introduced them.
She replied simply, “Kagome,” And left it at that. She didn't feel the need to divulge her last name. It was just about useless in this Fuedal land anyway.
“Kagome...” he mused. He tapped a finger on his chin. “Where have I heard that name before? It sounds so familiar...” He was silent for a moment as he considered her, dead eyes seeming to bore into her very soul. She squirmed under this assault, made uncomfortable by his constant scrutiny, and then jumped about a foot in the air when he spoke, exclaiming loudly: “Oh right! I know who you are! You're that Guardian girl, aren't you? Of the, er, Shiky-no-whatsit.” He nodded, apparently pleased with this deduction.
Kagome however, was anything but. Her throat clenched painfully as realization finally returned to her. The jewel. She shook her head slowly, numb with disbelief. She'd forgotten. She'd actually forgotten about the Shikon shards. How is that even possible? She thought wildly, her heart thumping heavily in her chest.
She couldn't believe she'd actually managed to forget. Of all the other things she'd been concerned with, the Shikon No Tama should have number one on her priority list. Some guardian I'm turning out to be. She sighed, feeling her earlier depression return with a sharp vengeance. This night seemed to be getting worse and worse as time went on.
“Hey, don't go all weird on me again!” Yomi peered at her face, scrutinizing her forlorn expression. “Come on, cheer up. What are you so worried about anyway?”
Kagome couldn't keep the irritation out of her voice. “Well gee, I don't know,” she spoke sarcastically. “Maybe it's the fact that I'm stuck in this spirit realm with no way to get out, that's got me worried. Or maybe it's because I know I'm unarmed and surrounded by dangerous demons at every corner. Who knows.” She was almost shouting now, the volume of her voice loud enough that it carried within the mystically barren cavern. “Well, in case you've forgotten, Yomi,” she snapped, “Your so-called friend left me! I don't have a chance of getting out of here without help.”
He smiled easily, “I can help you!”
She snorted rudely. “Yes, because ghosts are very useful. I'll be really glad for your help. Thanks.”
Instead of looking angry as she'd expected, he wore a casual grin, amusement practically dripping off of him in droves. “Wow, you're really angry aren't you? You must be if you're insulting me like that.” He laughed. “I get the impression that you're not usually this kind of girl - you seem sweeter, more innocent.” He winked teasingly, a knowing glint in his eyes. “But it's okay. I don't mind if you yell at me. It's kind of hot actually.”
He laughed again, and this time he was laughing at her. Kagome felt herself burning up slowly, the pretty milk tone of her skin growing redder and redder. Her anger, which had been piping hot only seconds before, had dwindled into barely a flicker of discontentment. Okay, now I feel like a total idiot, she thought, already regretting her uncharacteristic outburst. What in kami's name is wrong with me? She'd actually yelled at him. The only person she yelled at with proper fury was Inuyasha, and that was only when he did something wrong. She never lashed out at him for no reason - that just wasn't her style. She always felt too guilty afterwards. Which is how I feel now. Bashfully, she looked up at the youkai spirit reclining comfortably in mid-air, his hands once again placed behind his head. I guess I should go apologise.
She opened her mouth, “Yomi, I'm-”
“It's fine.” He held up a hand to stop her from continuing, his trademark silly smirk plastered across his face. “I already said it doesn't matter so there's no need to feel sorry. Besides,” he gave her a quick, assessing glance, “even if I wanted to, I wouldn't hold you responsible. You're not even in control of your actions right now.”
“What do you mean?” She felt dread prick at her stomach.
He explained carefully, “It's very simple, Kagome. Right now, this realm is asserting its authority over you. Your mind and body - everything. It's changing you, altering things so that it fits certain requirements for this place.”
Her mouth was gaping open. “You're not serious!”
“I wish I could say yes, but I can't. Sorry.” He looked at her pityingly, eyes only skirting her legs for a mere second. “If it's any consolation, you're not the only one. That's what happens to all living things that enter here, it bends them to its will so that the longer they stay, the less they appear like themselves. That's one of the reasons why it's off limits to youkai and humans. It's simply too dangerous.”
She shuddered, feeling the dancing touch of a cold chill skirting her spine. It was one thing wondering about the weirdness that had suddenly gotten into her, but to find out this? It was almost better thinking that she'd somehow become a different person overnight. This was the far more terrifying option.
“So how does it stop?” That was her main concern.
“When you leave, I suppose. The realm won't have a hold on you once you're free of this domain.”
That makes sense, she thought, nodding in agreement. And then abruptly she remembered that her escape plan had already been thwarted. Kagome groaned out loud, exasperation lining her tone. “Why does everything always return to me getting out of this place?” She mumbled lowly, “I bet all my problems would stop if I could just leave.”
“Probably,” Yomi answered, appearing not in the least bit concerned. His carefree manner was beginning to annoy her. He stretched out, lowering so that the soles of his feet barely glanced off the ground. “Anyway, we've wasted enough time as it is. We need to start moving now if we're going to get there on time.”
Err, did I miss something? “Get where on time?” she asked.
Yomi huffed impatiently, “We've already been through this, Kagome. I need to get you to the centre of the realm, remember? As part of my deal with Koenma?”
Realisation dawned upon her pale face. She frowned. “But I thought you were meant to take me and,” she nearly stumbled over his name, “Youko Kurama, together?” Would their deal still work if he only brought one of them?
“Well, yeah. I'm supposed to take the both of you. But it was a stupid plan anyways. I mean, seriously, in what universe would Youko Kurama ever help someone for free?” He shook his head. “I already knew he wouldn't go for the plan - not if it meant he'd be aiding Spirit World in the process. He hates the Prince you know,” he added randomly.
Well, she'd pretty much figured that all by herself. “So, you knew he would leave?”
“Yeah I'd guessed.” He shrugged. “For someone so intelligent, Kurama can be very predictable at times. Although that doesn't make him any less fearful.” He took in a small breath. “If I know Youko - which I do - then I know that right now he'll be searching as hard as he can for a way out. In fact I'm sure he's already figured out what the realm is doing to him, and made plans to counter it.”
“How would he do that?”
“Well he's a spirit fox, isn't he? All he'd have to do is turn back into his animal form and go around like that. In that body, he becomes more akin to the spirit realm and therefore, less affected by its magic.” He continued patiently, “Still, if my estimations are correct, he won't be able to leave just yet. The realm should have enough influence over him that he'll be drawn into its centre whether he likes it or not.” He sighed, smiling lightly. “I swear that guy never makes anything easy on himself.” Yomi's eyes were misty, as if he was far-away, lost in some unknown memory.
Kagome rubbed at her forehead with her palm. Eurgh, I feel a headache coming on. She began to massage the skin there, soothing the restless ache beneath its surface. Asprin, she thought heatedly, that's what I need, asprin.
“So, kid,” apparently he'd recovered from his minor-nostalgia rather quickly. He gave her a pointed glance, “Are you ready?”
“Yes, I'm ready.” She wasn't, but she felt it was better to say so even if it wasn't true. Besides there's nothing to worry about, she quickly reminded herself. True, Yomi didn't know the way out either, but maybe if she did what the Prince wanted then she'd be allowed to go home.
Which suddenly brought to mind something she should have wondered at a long time ago: what in the world does the prince of Reikai want with me, anyway?
“Come on, Kagome,” Yomi moved away from her, heading farther east. His voice was strained, tight with concern. “We really should get moving. We've been mostly undisturbed up until now but that was only because Youko was in the area. This place isn't safe anymore.”
Bristling at the implication that he was the only thing protecting her even when he was so far away, Kagome responded less kindly that she imagined. “But this is a spirit realm, Yomi. You said so yourself! There's nothing out here besides ghosts and creepy voices. Nothing that can harm me.”
He frowned and turned to face her, but before he could open his mouth and reply, a painfully high-pitched shriek rose up in the air, followed by a chorus of undeniably female-voiced cackles.
“Ooohh! What have we here - a human?” One eerie soprano gushed. Several other bodiless voices tittered with amusement, the sounds coming nearer and nearer to where Kagome stood. “A ghosty - that's normal, but what in the worlds is a human doing in our land?
I just had to go and jinx it, didn't I? Kagome winced as she saw Yomi cursing angrily, and watched him return to a defensive position at her side. Guess it's time to face the music.
Inwardly cursing her big mouth, Kagome slowly turned around to face the newcomers.
--
In an entirely separate part of the realm, a pure white demon fox leapt up into the air. It lunged, aiming for its opponent's uncovered throat, but just as it neared the kill its opponent's arm rose up to block the strike. Youko growled lowly and rebounded again, moving far too fast for the eye to see. It was only by pure luck that his next swipe missed its target; the demon being warned of his attack by the light brush of his tail against the stony floor. The youkai was fast but not overly strong, and the only reason he wasn't dead right now was because of the thing glowing brightly out of his arm.
A shikon shard.
Kurama wasn't one of those pathetic youkai that coveted the Jewel of the Four Souls. He had his own power, he knew his own strength, and he would have rather died than become a slave to the addiction that was the Shikon. Besides, he wasn't nearly desperate enough to search for borrowed strength.
A valuable trinket however
Without a doubt, the Shikon No Tama would have been a boast worthy addition to his collection. If not for the fact that he'd heard it had been broken and scattered into hundreds of single pieces, he would have gone after it long ago. But now, he was sensing something from this demon that called to him, enticing him into his grasp, and that could truly be only one thing.
He swiped again, this time skirting the edges of the invisible circle they'd made, and jumped straight at the demon's midsection. It let out a strangled cry, which cut off abruptly when he stuck his jaw into its belly and tore out his entrails. Warm blood gushed forth from the wound, and then Youko stepped back from the corpse, his blood-lust satisfied.
Not bothering to revert back to his humanoid body, he bent over the dead demon and poked his nose into the sticky, wet mess. A few moments later, something pink and shiny was revealed, and he picked it out with his mouth, letting the shard rest on the flat surface of his tongue. Strange, he thought. The demon had only been carrying one shard. He could have sworn there'd been two.
A quiet buzzing from above disturbed him. He looked up just in time to see a small insect disappear around the corner of this new cave, vanishing out of sight. His red eyes narrowed. That was the insect from before. It bore the same yellow and black markings as the other one and they both had long, lethal looking stings on their ends. Clearly, he thought, someone isn't being very discreet at spying.
The sound of approaching footsteps alerted him to an incoming presence. With his fox eyes he could clearly pick out from a distance the size and strength of his adversary, not to mention being able to smell the creature's confidence. He grinned, the fox mouth widening in a purely predatory way. For the second time his eyes confirmed what his senses had been telling him earlier. There was more than one shard in the vicinity.
Crouching low into position, he prepared himself to attack.
--
A/N: I hope you all got my notice about my work getting deleted. That's why this one took ages to get out.
Please review and tell me what you think!