InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Just Another Story ❯ Chapter 13 ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Author's Note: I've made some important decisions about this fic. I'll tell you guys at the end. So please do read the A/N at the end! Anywho… enjoy!
 
Chapter 13
 
~*~ At the Temple, with Kagome ~*~
 
Kagome sat on the steps that lead down to the beach. She wanted to train not play, but with Yusuke around that wasn't going to happen any time soon. After her little episode of a 3-day hibernation, Yusuke wasn't taking any chances, as he put it. “I think it's sweet that he cares, but I'm fine.”
 
“He just needs to learn that you are not fragile, like his woman.” Hiei was sitting several steps higher than her. He'd grown a bit of respect for the woman who he was tied to. She had never asked anything of him yet offered friendship while never pushing the matter at him. However, when she did ask things of him, she always gave him the option of not doing it. Also, she did what was asked of her when it came to the work around the temple; a lot of the times more then what was requested without complaint.
 
Kagome growled at those words and her energy flared dangerously. “I am not weak or fragile or anything else like that! I hate it when people think that about me!” The air crackled with energy for a second before vanishing.
 
Though Hiei's instincts told him to flee as the air around him began to fill with purifying energy, he stayed knowing that he was in no danger. Also, the knowledge that if he did leave the young priestess's side his mind would drown in the miasma that would either kill him or allow Naraku to control him once more. “I did not call you fragile. I believe that you are anything but.” He wasn't just saying that to calm her, but because they were true.
 
Sighing, Kagome turned to look at the demon. “Thanks. But you don't have to be nice to me you know?” She didn't know how to act towards this powerful demon's words. The only time she'd ever been praised was by other humans or little Shippo. Never once did Inuyasha ever praise or complimented her strength whole-heartily, manly only doing so when threatened by Sango and her Hiraikotsu.
 
“Hn. I would not say them if they are untrue. It is not in my nature to lie about ones' strength nor do I pretend it is not there.” Hiei didn't understand why Kagome felt he was only saying things to make her feel better. “Your Soulbeast is coming.” Not long after he had spoken those words, a silver and blue ball slammed into his stomach, causing him to grunt at the impact.
 
“I so sorry about that Hiei!” Kagome tried to hold in her laugher as she rushed to retrieve her beast. Picking up the light blue-faced silver cat, she giggled. “I'll try and teach her not to tackle you anymore.”
 
“Hn.” Straightening him self, he glared at the small and seemingly innocent creature in the Kagome's arms. “Have you named her yet?” He wanted to say something else, but he bit his tongue. He knew that if he caused her hell he was going to effected him as well.
 
Kagome thought carefully for a moment. She could not just name her Soulbeast any silly name like she'd do if this were a simple house pet. Know, once she called her a name, that name wouldn't be changed. “Benten. After the goddess of love, luck, wisdom, eloquence, and fine arts.” She looked at Hiei, silently awaiting his approval.
 
“Fine arts? Yes, it would seem that she did get into a fight with a paint brush.”
 
Kagome smiled. She knew that that was the closing thing she was going to get to an approval and it wasn't like she could disagree with him either. It truly did look Benten had gotten into some paint. The cat's face and paws were a sky blue while her white body was covered in small spots of the same color. All three of her tails looked as if they'd been dipped in to a can of paint. “Yeah, I guess you're right.”
 
A silence stretched between the too as Kagome set the newly name cat on the ground and watched her play in the sand. However, that silence was disrupted when Kagome spoke up. “I thought Yusuke and the others said this was a private cove?” She was watched as to younger children ran down the beach. From the distance she was at, all she could tell was that one was a boy and one was girl, the girl being smaller and younger than the boy.
 
“It is.” Hiei answered, he too looking in the direction of the kids. “The others are coming through the tree.” As he made the announcement, he stood from his resting place and eyed Kagome from the corner of his eye. He was curious as to what she was going to do. Would try and help her new friends or would she go to the children? “It would seem that they are in pursuit of a demon.” He knew that the information wasn't necessary, but he'd said it anyway. In an unconscious gesture that said he was still fully capable of fending for himself, though, at the moment, he relied solely on Kagome to keep his sanity.
 
“Come on.” Kagome rushed down the stairs, knowing that the demon behind her could and would keep pace with her. “I have to make sure those kids are safe.” She threw her explanation over her shoulder as she felt Hiei's curious gaze. Benten ran beside her.
 
`So, she is as kind as she makes herself out to be.' He knew of several others who would have easily turned their backs on helpless children in order to fight next to their comrades and friends. He was under no allusion he wasn't categorized in that group; after all, he did prefer bloodshed to whiny brats. `Or perhaps she doesn't find the others as important as she lets on?' That was the only other possible way that he could understand her actions. She was a wonderful fighter who wanted to prove her strength to her brother, yet she choose first to check on snobby brats who were more than likely fine than to fight and prove herself to the others. It made absolutely no since to him.
 
“You're going too slow, Priestess.”
 
Before Kagome knew what happened she found herself in Hiei's arms with the wind wiping her face, causing her eyes to water. Laughing out loud in pure joy, she couldn't ever remember going so fast in her life. Unfortunately for her, the trip ended to quickly for her liking and she found herself being dropped on the hot sand. Before she could give Hiei a piece of her mind, another voice interrupted her.
 
“Who are you and what the hell do you want with me and my sister!”
 
Now that Kagome was closer to them, she could tell that they were more than a little worst for where. Both of their clothes had large holes and rips in them. Their faces, hands, and what ever other skin was visible was covered in dirt and even a little bit of blood in areas where branches had ripped not just their clothing but their skin as well.
 
“All I am here for, young man, is to see if you and your sister are okay. All I want to do is help you, I promise.” Kagome saw something akin to recollection flash through the boy's eyes. Though she couldn't see how he would recognize, after all, she was wearing a pair of her brother's faded shorts that went past her knees and one of his oversize green T-shirt that she had tied at her side. Her hair was up in a messy, braided bun that kept the majority of her hair from her face.
 
Hesitantly, Kagome watched as the pre-teen glared at Hiei before turning his attention back to her. “He wont hurt you. I promise you.” She wasn't sure if her reassurance did anything to help sooth his fears.
 
“Are you sure? I heard from this one lady that demons killed our parents.” He kept one arm around his sister protectively as he glared at the two people standing in front of him. She seemed trustworthy, but he didn't know about her guy that was with her.
 
“Who told you that?” This was becoming very interesting for both Kagome and Hiei.
 
“A lady in the woods told us. She told us to find someone and then she put us on a giant cat with two tails and with the ability to fly. The cat's been protecting us from these creatures that have been attacking us. And now she's protecting us from those people who attacked us.” His dark eyes glared at the others suspiciously as he hugged his sister closer to him.
 
“Listen to me. We mean you no harm and as for your cat friend, I'll see what I can do. If the people you attacked you are the people who I believe them to be they probably thought you were in some sort of danger. If I can find them, then we can get everything straighten out. How does that sound?” Kagome posed, standing at her full height.
 
“That won't be necessary. They've arrived.” As soon as those words left his mouth, a large blue energy ball ripped through the trees, and onto the beach. Hiei was slight surprised to find that Kagome was put herself between the debris that was being thrown up by the blast and the kids. Watching as the blast hit the water and trail across it surface, Hiei's instincts told him to prepare for battle but he pushed that feeling away. As Yusuke's blasted dissipated, something fell from the sky and into the water. “I believe that your cat friend has expired.” He gestured towards the ocean as Kagome gave him a curious look.
 
“Kirara!” The girl ripped from her brother's grasp and ran to the water edge. She didn't even notice that the three guys that had attacker her, her brother, and Kirara had just came through the trees. “Kirara!” She called again, hoping that her that the cat would come to her as she always did.
 
“Did she say Kirara?” Not giving the boy a chance to answer, she called her own cat. “Benten! Go help Kirara! Hurry!” As soon as the order was heard, Kagome watched as Benten transformed into her larger form for the first time. It reminded Kagome a lot of how she'd seen Kirara transform, expected as using fire, Benten used light. Where Kirara had flame on her tails and feet, Benten had a bright light.
 
“So where the hell did that stupid cat go to?” Yusuke yelled, kicking the sand in frustration. Felling a sharp pain in his shin, he yelped and glared down at the girl who had assaulted him. “What's the deal, kid!”
 
“You hurt Kirara you meany head!” Quickly, she sent another kick to his other shin before racing back to the safety of her brother and Kagome. “See, lady! These are the mean people who attacked us!”
 
Yusuke, seeing his sister glaring at him quickly shut his mouth. Although it had only been a week since he had meet his sister, he had already learned that it was better not to talk when she had that look in her eye. “What's the big idea, Yusuke! Why in the world are you attacking children!” Kurama, Kuwabara, and Yusuke all took up defensive looks.
 
“Miss. Higurashi, we did not know that they were trailing together until the cat took up protecting the children. We had no time to talk before the cat when to protect them forcefully.” Kurama hoped that she would understand their situation. However, when Kagome turned her glare on him, he knew that he's screw up by calling her by her surname.
 
Mr. Minamino, how many times have I told you to call me Kagome? Not Higarashi, not Miss. Higarashi, not Lady Priestess, but Kagome! Who many time?” Before she gave him a chance to answer, she whirled around and glared at the apparition. “And what are you laughing at?” She smirked as she watched Hiei's eyes go from amusement to annoyance. Turning away from all of them, she moved so that her bare feet were hit by the ocean waves. “For your sakes, you best hope that Benten can fine Kirara alive.
 
“Your name's Higurashi, Kagome?” The little girl asked happily. Before Kagome could answer, she had run to her brother. “That the lady we were suppose to find!” She then ran back and hugged Kagome around her legs, yelling at the top of her lungs. “We found you! You found you!”
 
After prying the girl's arms from her legs, Kagome knelt so that she was eye level with her. “Ok, before anything else is said, I believe introduction are in order.” Pointing at each in turn, she introduced the guys that were behind her and her self. “Now, you can you tell me your names?” She didn't have to wait long before the two complied with her wishes.
 
“I'm Koragishi, Sasuke and this is my little sister-”
 
“Dachi!” She hugged Kagome. “It's nice to meet you!” She pulled back some so that she was looking Kagome in the eye. “Are we going to be safe now?”
 
Kagome was a bit taken back by such a question. It was the type of question that she had heard the children of the Feudal Era ask when they'd hide from attacking demons. Gently, she placed her hand on Dachi cheek, making sure that she was listening. “In this Era, I've near heard that question asked with meaning. And it breaks my heart, it truly does. Since the majority of the demons have been moved to a separate world, children should not have to ask that question.” A tear slipped down Kagome's cheek. “I have your answer, but its not the one you want to hear.” She took a quick glanced at Susake, making sure that he was listening. “Your answer is no, you are not safe. I can promise though that you are safer with us than on your own. I can also promise you protection. But no, you are not safe. As long as there are demons with evil intentions in this world, no one is ever safe.”
 
Hiei thought about her words. Evil intentions? `There could be millions of things that could be dubbed “evil intentions”. I could easily fall into that category. Hell, I do fall into all the categories that she's spoke of, but she hasn't let me die yet.' Mentally, he growled hating the fact that he couldn't figure out the enigma that was Kagome. He could tell that from the looks on his teammates' faces that they too were trying to decipher her words. “What exactly do you mean by “evil intentions”? After all, demons are “evil” on there own, so which “evil intentions” are you speaking of?”
 
Kurama snapped out of his thoughts, wanting to hear the answer. He took a quick note that the others were now listening intently as well.
 
Kagome sighed as she stood to face her brother and his friends. She would have to choice her words carefully if she were going to keep peace between them. “Hiei, I'm never hated a demon before. You would think that because I am a priestess that I would want to destroy any and all demons that I came across, but I don't. I find that it is easier to simply try and understand them, and in doing so I've make several powerful friends and allies. What others see as “evil intentions” I find them to be mere instinct on the demon's part. Naraku is an example of evil intentions.” An uneasy silence fell between them, before it was broke by Yusuke. The mischievous gleam in his eyes told Kagome that probably wasn't going to like what he was going to say.
 
“Ok. You got knowledge of different demons and their behavior, right?” When he saw Kagome give him a small nod, Yusuke continued. “Good. Then tell my why… Hiei say, would want to over the world?” He knew this was going to be good.
 
“Yes, I been curious about that my self.” Kurama gave Kagome a curious look as a sly smile appeared on his lips.
 
Kagome gave everyone a once over before answering. “If guys would have asked why a human, such as Kuwabara would try and take over the world I would tell you that he was power hungry.”
 
“But I wouldn't do that!” Kuwabara quickly defended himself.
 
“I know Kuwabara.” Kagome quickly reassured, before continuing. “If you would have asked why a fox would take over the world, I'd have answered that he'd wanted the attention and it was only a passing fancy. Now if you asked why a Mazoku, such as yourself brother, would want to take over the world. I'd have to tell you that it was because of the challenge that was presented. However, for a fire demon it's simple instinct and wouldn't be a passing fancy.” Kagome thought for a moment, before smiling softly at Hiei. “It would turn in to something similar… say a dog pack. The strongest being the most dominate, well the weak are banished. However, infants and smaller children would be cared for by a group of females until his or her place was determined; whether by the Alpha male and female or his or her own abilities.” Kagome heard Hiei snort and heard him walking farther away from her.
 
Kurama was about to ask something when he was interrupted by Susake. “There's Kirara!”
 
Abandoning the conversation, Kagome followed the direction Susake was pointing at and sure enough, a golden color figure could be seen in the sky. Quickly, Kagome spotted Benten flying next the Kirara. “Benten! Kirara! Over hear!” At her call, she watched as Benten helped the other cat to land.
 
As soon as Kirara's paw touched the sand, she lunged at the three men you had dared to attack her and her charges. Though two of them dodged her charge, she collided with one of them, the biggest one. Pushing him to the ground, she heard a command of “stop” yelled as she locked her massive jaw around the man's arm. The only thing that stopped her from taking the man's arm from him was the simple fact that he was human, however, that didn't stop her from crushing his bone. She froze when she heard a command that she hadn't heard over 500 years, it was the command that only demon slayers gave.
 
“Thou shall never bare your fangs at a human!”
 
Slowly, carefully, Kirara released the man's arm, not wanting to do anymore damage and turned to the rest of the group. Scenting the air carefully, even as she searched the faces, she quickly dismissed all the demons and males, as well as her charges. Finally, her eyes landed on Kagome. Not wanting to get her own hopes up, she inhaled deeply; only the air confirmed her belief.
 
Before anyone realized what happened, Kirara was in the air again, heading towards Kagome. The fire wrapped engulfed the large cat's body had everyone, minus Kagome curious and on edge. However, what appeared was not what anyone was expecting. A kitten appeared off of the fire, a small leather bag hung loosely from her neck as she landed securely in Kagome's arms, purring.
 
“Welcome home, Kirara.”
 
Author's Note: Done! WoooHooo! I've decided that I'm going to turn this into a series! I'm not entirely sure if it's going to be a trilogy or something longer or shorter!
 
Anyway, you guys need to vote on a few things for the sequel
 
What do you want to happen with Dachi and Susake?
They could go live with relations
They could stay at the temple, the gang being their family
 
What do you to happen with Sango?
First scenario is that she that she could meet Kagome as herself
Second scenario Kikyo could be in control when they meet
 
 
I'll update when I've got more information about the next one in the series! And I owe my thanks to all whose who have reviewed:
 
FF.net
 
S. T. Nickolian
Lindsay-Chan
shadow miko
Christina109
Kagome Lady of Darkness
Taeniaea
XxHisLilLoverGirlxX
Full Moon Howl
misty
HieisSoulmateIsKagome
shinigami109
StarlitBaby
AnimeKage
Suuki-Aldrea
Toukitoshi's broken heart
Kitsune-Demoness
Sweeteen19
Bloodyblacknekorose
L.M KiTsUnE
AnimeOtakuBara
Paksennarion
Duzellluver
ZIPPIYGIRL
XChosenXHeartX
Dark Ice Kitsune
Sango1618
Hopelessly Hopefull
ladyBlue Wolf
BitcheyBabe66
AwesomeAmy
Yuki
MysticalElf
nightmare rose
animegurl088
animegirl13
IYGURL
katlin
sweetangelkags
Hieiforever
Hoku-chan
AyUgameinuyoukai
JoWashinton
Black Hands
Kuramasgal
Rage
Kage Otome
vi3tdream27
Shadow Girl
inu demon55
JadeStoneTheYounger
Bishie Fanatic!
 
 
MM.org
 
Kagome Lady of the Rain
madmiko
bluemoon 175
HeartStar
spiritwolf
xXJBxXInuyashaXxJBXx
Youshie
angeltsuki
gabby42babygirl20008
PureMiko_Kagome69ner
lildevil474
kizuna4me
fire_lily
Vandreador
the beauty behind the mask
lavie
Millicent_Hellix
Charlene
Cadi get stuck in my hair when I sleep
The Devils Girl
wynter89(mm)
deathsangel4729
toasterwoman360
Hieichan
nightangel15
sexysesshoumaru
SadBrokenWings
lonelylulaby
Kagome15
Ryukotsusei
reimei-kage
KrystiCEED
hiei-kag pweaz
Wolfys Girl
Doriana
Samantha121212
Buyo
mistress_yume
palo
Yume Tsuki
Anonymous0