InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Prison: How Soon is Now ❯ Spirits Inside ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“You shut your mouth
How can you say?
I go about things the wrong way?”
(The Smiths)
 
 
 
Spirit Inside
 
 
 
 
“Talking”
 
`Thinking'
 
Memories/ flashbacks
 
Stressed
 
 
 
 
Pushing their way through the crowded hallways, they noticed more souls then usual. Hiei merely stared ahead; ignoring any that crossed his path. Kurama couldn't help but feel nervous his stomach was doing flips. Hiei turned to observe the Kitsune before turning his red gaze ahead. Closing his eyes and sighing he opened them only to be slammed in the shoulder. Turning to glance at the person his eyebrows furrowed in vague recognition. The woman stopped her walking and turned to face him with silent regard.
 
“Watch were you walk youkai,” she warned.
 
“Who are you?” Kurama questioned. Something tugged at the back of his mind as he stared into her brown eyes. Her pink eye shadow triggered more memories. She examined his face with her eyes before she smirked.
 
“I know who I am…but the question is…will she know who you are?” The woman asked before she walked away.
 
“Do you know Sango?” Hiei asked, interrupting Kurama's thoughts.
 
“Sango,” Kurama whispered in shock.
 
“Are you coming?” Hiei asked as he waited by Koenma's door. Kurama looked over to see the fire apparition standing by door. He opened the door and began to walk in. Botan appeared behind them and pushed them behind her as she ran towards Koenma.
 
“Oh here,” Yusuke said as he reached into his pocket. Koenma watched as he took the dull pink orb from his pocket. Koenma held his hands open to catch the orb as it came towards him.
 
“Don't!” Botan yelled. “Don't touch it!”
 
Hiei glared at the woman for pushing him and the three boys looked at her in confusion. Koenma's hand had already encircled the Tama. Botan dropped her oar and froze in place.
 
“What's this nonsense?” Koenma asked as he studied the Tama.
 
 
Koenma is to hold the Tama. She must be released at any costs.
 
 
Botan heard Enma's words repeat in her head. She flew back from Enma's office in hopes of saving her boss…her friend. She was to late. The Tama was already within his hand and appeared to be dormant. Everyone studied her with curious gazes as she took a cautious step towards Koenma.
 
“Put it down,” Botan calmly said.
 
“Its just a dormant gem,” Koenma dryly said as he rolled the Tama around his palm.
 
“It could kill you!” Botan growled causing Koenma to pale.
 
“What?” Koenma asked in confusion and slight fear.
 
“Just drop it,” Botan calmly said.
 
He opened his hand and the Tama began to pulse. Everyone in the room froze and Hiei watched with interest. The Tama lit up in a mixture of pink and blue energy. Flashing one last time, everyone covered his or her eyes as Koenma yelled in pain. Floating to the air the Tama began to take form. Koenma's eyes were wide open and glowing the same colors as the Tama.
 
“Finally,” a female voice purred.
 
“That voice,” Kurama whispered as his eyes widened in shock.
 
“Release Koenma!” Botan yelled as she charged at the glowing form of a female. She raised her oar and prepared to swing it like a bat. The figure gave a light chuckle and raised their hand in front of themselves. Botan was thrown back into the couch and dropped her oar as she passed out.
 
“That's it,” Yusuke growled as he prepared his spirit gun.
 
“I wouldn't,” Kuwabara mumbled. He was worried for Botan and Koenma, but something was off with this spirit.
 
“You must be Yusuke,” the voice purred as she began to take a solid form.
 
The figure ceased its glowing and there stood a normal woman. Her long black hair reached her lower back, her eyes were a pure gray with blue specks. She wore the traditional scarlet hakama, but she only wore a white vest that showed her belly button. Her hakama ended at the top of her feet and you could make out the zori she wore. Touching her forehead, she reached up and pulled the silver headband off. Tossing the headband to the floor, she pushed her hair to the side and stretched.
 
“No more masters,” the woman muttered.
 
“She has the same symbol as that Sango,” Yusuke mumbled as he tried to find a connection.
 
“Sango? Where is Sango?” Kagome asked with glee as her eyes lit up.
 
“She is dead,” Hiei answered from his place by the open door. Kagome turned her gaze to him and smiled.
 
“Hiei,” Kagome said, tasting his name in her mouth. “I've come out to play.”
 
“How did you know?” Hiei growled as he placed his hand on his sword.
 
“I may have been dormant, but I was not completely unaware,” Kagome simply answered.
 
“Listen lady, I don't know who you are…but get back in the Tama,” Yusuke demanded. Kagome `tsked' and frowned at him.
 
“I've been in there for five hundred years. I've come out to play and you demand I get in the jewel?” Kagome summarized.
 
“Is that to hard to understand?” Yusuke questioned with a grin.
 
Kagome looked around at her surroundings and noticed that there was a TV and some modern stuff. Looking over the boys, she figured she was in the future. The future. Her eyes widened in excitement as she clapped her hands together.
 
“Am I in the future?” Kagome asked with hope.
 
“You're in the twenty-first century,” Kuwabara confirmed. Kagome jumped up and pumped her fist in the air.
 
“Shut up!” Yusuke hissed.
 
“Thanks, its been fun…but I have a family to see,” Kagome said as she snapped her fingers and vanished.
 
“Where the hell did she go?” Yusuke shouted as he ran to where she was standing.
 
Koenma fell to his butt and groaned as he rubbed his head. Blinking a few times, he noticed that the Tama was gone and Botan was passed out. Hiei leaned against the wall and closed his eyes, as Kurama seemed lost in his own thoughts.
 
`It was her,' Kurama thought as he saw flashes of the past.
 
“Where is she…where's Kagome?” Koenma asked.
 
“You know her?” Yusuke asked with shock evident.
 
“Indirectly,” Koenma mumbled as he rubbed his temples.
 
“What is she to you and what happened?” Kurama asked.
 
“She's my father's creator, and she borrowed some energy,” Koenma simply said with a yawn.
 
“Should we go after her?” Yusuke asked.
 
“I refuse to fight a girl,” Kuwabara voiced.
 
“Kurama, can watch her,” Koenma said before he passed out.
 
`Crap,' Kurama thought as he turned to look at Hiei.
 
“Where's Hiei?” Yusuke asked. Kurama only shrugged.
 
 
 
 
Kagome smiled as she appeared at the bottom of the shrine steps. Licking her dry lips, she took the first step. Walking up the steps, she came to a stop when she reached the top. Looking over the shrine grounds she noticed nothing had changed, save for the fact there was a marker by the tree. Walking over to the tree, she read the inscription. Blinking in confusion, she didn't understand what had happened. She traced the engravings and found that Inuyasha's name was on it along with Kuronue's.
 
“Why did they move Inuyasha?” Kagome whispered to herself.
 
Running her fingers along the inscriptions, she whispered Kuronue's name before sticking her fingers into the dirt. Letting her ki mix with the earths and Goshinboku, she frowned in confusion. Searching the earth, her ki brushed against no ashes. Opening her eyes, she glared at the tombstone. Wiping her hands off she began to wonder about the gravestone.
 
“His ashes were stolen,” a voice, confirmed her thoughts. Jumping away from the Goshinboku, she formed her Hami-Yumi and ya from ki.
 
“Who's there?” She asked.
 
Hiei dropped from the tree and she released her ki. She relaxed and stared into his crimson eyes. Her gray eyes studied him for a few moments before she walked back to the tree. She kneeled beside the marker and Hiei watched her from behind.
 
“It is not wise to turn your back to an enemy,” Hiei warned through narrowed eyes.
 
“It is not wise to threaten those that are more powerful then yourself,” Kagome coldly warned back.
 
Hiei growled at her, but would not attack from behind. She ran her fingers across the marker one last time before standing up. Turning to face him she smiled, he frowned at her and jumped back into the tree. Kagome walked to her front door and knocked twice before she turned her head to the direction of the tree.
 
“I will fight you…don't worry, we'll play,” Kagome promised with a smirk. Turning her face to the door she came face to face with boy as tall as her.
 
“Souta?” Kagome asked.
 
“Oh my god,” Souta whispered as he stood there in shock.
 
“Do you remember me?” Kagome asked.
 
“Kagome…we thought you died,” Souta whispered as he pulled her inside.
 
 
 
 
Hiei watched from his tree as the two began to converse. He snorted at them and turned his head to the street. Looking below him, he noticed the Kitsune was staring at the grave. Hiei shook his head in disdain. He thought these people got to close to each other. Smirking to himself, he knew the action was only starting. As Rin used to tell, it was drama first then action.
 
“She did the same thing you're doing,” Hiei commented.
 
“It's just a marker,” Kurama said as he stood up.
 
“A marker for you an old love for her,” Hiei mumbled, he really wanted to see a good fight, even if it didn't involve him.
 
Kurama turned his gaze to the marker and watched as she embraced her brother. His emerald eyes shone with understanding, he knew what it was like to almost lose a loved one. He watched as her expression changed to something serene and the to dark. He could hear her sobs through the structure. He heard what her brother had told her. It wasn't the best welcome back, but it had to be done.
 
“He is her only bloodline left,” Hiei muttered.
 
“It's saddening,” Kurama, whispered as she fell to her knees and covered her face with her hands.
 
“Pathetic, a powerful being mourns for loved ones, you think she would of learnt her lesson the first few times,” Hiei hinted.
 
“You may be cold to emotions, but others are not,” Kurama hissed.
 
“Emotions, those are going to earn you a death by her hand,” Hiei announced. Kurama snapped his gaze to the figure in the tree and glared at him.
 
“How do you know about that!” Kurama hissed.
 
“I was taken in by Rin and Kichi,” Hiei admitted before he vanished. Kurama merely growled before her turned back to the heart-breaking picture
 
 
 
Kagome held onto herself as she kneeled on the ground. Everything was supposed to go back to normal. She figured everyone would be alive and waiting for her to come back. She'd go to school and finish, even though she practically knew everything. She would remain at the shrine and live her eternal life as the shrine maiden. She also figured she'd watch over her brother's family line. She knew she'd never marry; she was stuck in a void of loneliness.
 
“How'd it happen?” Kagome angrily asked. Souta sighed and ran a hand through his hair.
 
“They were hit by a drunk driver,” Souta calmly answered.
 
“Drunk driver…but where?” Kagome whispered in confusion.
 
“The driver hit them as they crossed the street,” Souta explained some more.
 
“But mama was always…always so very careful,” Kagome whispered through blurry eyes.
 
“The driver was never found and the car exploded as the police went to check the plates,” Souta said.
 
“Did you sense anything…”
 
“Weird? I sensed something was wrong…they did find something strange on the car seat before it exploded,” Souta began.
 
“What?” Kagome asked as she sat on the couch.
 
“They found a piece of paper with a red spider drawn on it,” Souta confirmed her fears.
 
 
 
“Blood of my blood, flesh of flesh, ashes to ashes, I bring you to this plane. Rise up and taste the air, fill your lungs with the sullen breath, darkened hearts and twisted souls bring forth this fallen soul,” the voice chanted as the stone began to crack. A twisted smile formed on the person's face as they watched their creation rise.
 
Throwing the prayer beads to the figure, they connected around his neck. Hair framed his back and shadows hid the face. With the beads over his neck they smiled and chuckled darkly,
 
“Those beads shall bind you to hell, bringing out the darkness within,” the voice laughed before fading into the darkness.