Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Paradox ❯ Sesshoumaru ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Title: Paradox

Author: Somnambulicious

Rating: NC-17

Disclaimer:
I don't own either
Inuyasha or YuYu;
Somebody else does.

***********************************************

Chapter 8: Sesshoumaru

Yuusuke awoke to a blinding headache. What the... What the hell happened? he wondered, trying to recall where he was. Ah, yes, they had gone to Makai, he and the two dimwits, and then...

He was on his feet in a flash, but then his head reminded him of the blow he'd received, and he tried to push back the pain as he took in his surroundings. He had been lying on an old-fashioned futon on the floor. The room was enclosed by shoji screens, giving it a decidedly traditional feel. The red light filtering in through the screens told him he was still in Makai. He could vaguely make out a rather disturbing mural painted on the ceiling...a gargantuan white dog with blood red eyes laying waste to a human village, youki swirling about him...

First things first, he thought grimly. Gotta find Kurabara and the ogre. Then we can get the fuck out of here and back to Koenma. He slid the door open as quietly as he could and peered out into the hallway. Empty...where are the guards?

Not one to question his luck, Yuusuke crept down the hall, peeking into each room he passed. When he reached the end of the hallway, he was unsure of which direction to take. Left or right? he wondered. He turned left, decided that didn't feel right, and turned back around...

And came face to face with his youkai captor.

The guy was tall. There was no doubt about it. Long silver hair fell down to his knees, and he had strange markings on his face. Probably an indication of his rank. Is he the Western Lord? He was dressed in an expensive-looking white haori and hakama. Two swords hung from the obi at his waist, and Yuusuke's eyes lingered at the youkai's left shoulder. He's missing an arm.

Before Yuusuke could throw a punch, the youkai grasped his neck with a clawed hand and lifted him several inches off of the floor. Yuusuke struggled, but the youkai's reach was greater than his own, so he could only grab the arm holding him and squeeze, trying to make him let go. The youkai's glare increased.

Yuusuke waited for the guy to say something along the lines of, "Die!" or "There is no escape!" but he just stood there with an bored look on his face. Finally, Yuusuke had enough.

"Where are they?" he gasped. "Let us go now, and there won't be any trouble."

The youkai's eyes narrowed. "This Sesshoumaru has an agreement with your esteemed employer. You were trespassing. This Sesshoumaru was within his rights to kill you and your comrades."

The ogre said something about a contract...this must be the Western Lord, then. Yuusuke didn't like the way he kept referring to himself in the third person. He sure thinks a lot of himself.

"I could care less what kind of agreement you have with Koenma. We're on an important mission, and we didn't have time for formalities."

"I am aware of your so-called mission," Sesshoumaru replied evenly, never wavering in his hold on Yuusuke's neck. "You are doomed to failure if those idiots you brought with you are your strongest allies."

"Hey, you know about Naraku?" Yuusuke asked. He said something before I passed out...

"I am acquainted with that disgusting hanyou," spat Sesshoumaru, his distaste for Naraku all too obvious. "This time, he will not survive this Sesshoumaru's wrath."

This time...? "So you're on our side, then," said Yuusuke with visible relief.

Sesshoumaru lowered Yuusuke to the floor. "We share a common goal. That is merely a coincidence. This Sesshoumaru is on no one's side."

Touchy bastard, Yuusuke thought.

"Your trespass will not go unpunished," the taiyoukai continued. "But this Sesshoumaru may have use for you yet. You and your companions will accompany me to Reikai this evening. Until then, you are restricted to these rooms," Sesshoumaru said, gesturing down the hallway.

Like hell I am, Yuusuke thought. He darted forward in an attempt to get at Sesshoumaru, but the youkai suddenly stepped back, and Yuusuke hit a barrier that flung him several feet backward. The taiyoukai said no more, but instead turned heel and left Yuusuke sitting alone in the hallway. Better find the others, he thought again as he headed back down the hall to search the rooms on the other side of his. If they're not okay...

***********************************************

Kurama's private lesson on Thursday evening was a bit different than the lessons Kagome was used to. For one thing, he lectured her during the entire thing, telling her about Makai and Reikai, never pausing or skipping a beat while they sparred. And for another...

She could swear he kept hitting her ass. And...other things. Intentionally.

At first, she ignored it, figuring it was just an accident. She tried to block his hits, but he was too quick for her. Finally, she'd had enough, and when Kurama paused for a short break, Kagome slapped him across the face.

'What the-- Hey, that's not proper Wing Chun form!' said Youko.

Kagome was fuming. "Keep your hands to yourself, you...you kinky kitsune!"

Youko blinked in surprise. 'She thinks that's kinky?'

"Why Kagome, I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about," Kurama said in his most sensual tone of voice, so low it was practically a purr.

Kagome stared deep into those golden eyes... Wait. Golden eyes? Weren't they green?

Kurama was fighting to maintain domination of his own body. Youko had taken advantage of his surprise at Kagome's slap and leapt forward to seize control. 'Youko, what the hell are you doing?'

'Relax. This will be so much fun.'

Kagome backed away from him when she saw the predatory glint in Kurama's eyes, but she stopped when she felt the wall against her back. Kurama, now completely under Youko's control, stalked forward to stand chest-to-chest with the girl, his hands on the wall on either side of her head, preventing any escape.

'Humph. Like she'd want to escape.'

He leaned down and buried his nose in her hair, inhaling deeply. There was the smell of her shampoo, sweetly floral like jasmine and honey, and another one...faint, but very familiar, smelling of woodsmoke on fresh snow. Youko didn't pause to wonder how she'd gotten so close to the fire apparition. It wasn't something he wanted to think about.

"Such power," he whispered, his lips brushing the top of her ear. Kagome shivered at the emotion that colored his voice and awoke a need both primitive and strong deep in her belly. Her breaths were ragged and shallow, and she bit her lower lip, unable to find her voice.

"Such a delectable little morsel." She could feel the warmth of his breath against her neck now, traveling down to her shoulders and back up again. His voice was deeper now. That...that doesn't sound like Kurama.

'She won't. Not like this, not a simple fling,' Kurama tried to convince Youko.

'We'll taste her first, and decide then if we want to keep her,' Youko reasoned.

He was so close to her, she could feel the purr rumbling in his chest, feel the strong warmth of his body, smell the spicy, masculine scent that clung to him. Her mind was in a fog as the effects of kitsune seduction overwhelmed her. He was leaning in closer now, his lips just a hairsbreadth away from hers. Kagome stood stock still and closed her eyes, anticipating what would be her first kiss ever...surprised that in her mind's eye, it wasn't Kurama she was about to kiss, but someone else...

But it never came.

A tap on his shoulder was the first indication Kurama had that someone else was in the dojo with them. He pulled away from Kagome and turned around to see Hiei, looking as bored as ever. 'Now that was not a coincidence!' cried Youko. Hiei smirked at the fox's accusation.

He'd been watching the private lesson from outside, as usual, and was a little displeased with the fox's actions. He'd tried to quash his growing alarm as the kitsune stalked the girl, and she seemed to relent. I don't care. I don't care what she does with him, he'd tried to tell himself. But when he'd seen Kurama's lips so close to hers... Oh, hell.

Kurama's eyes shifted from golden to green once more. Hiei nodded in approval.

"The others will be arriving soon," the fire apparition informed them. "Koenma is expecting us. We do not have time for such dalliances," he said, glaring at Kagome. She blushed prettily and looked down at her feet, speechless for once.

"Perhaps you would like to gather your things from the locker room, Kagome," Kurama said as though nothing had happened between them. "It will likely be another long session. Have you informed your mother that you'll be out late again tonight?"

"Ah...yeah. I'll...just go get my things," Kagome said before scampering off to the women's locker room.

'Why do you keep interfering?' Youko asked Hiei once they were alone. 'And no, a 'ch' will not suffice for an answer this time.'

'She must be strong for the battle to come. Feeding on her energy would be unwise at this time,' Hiei told him sternly.

'At this time? And after the battle?' Youko inquired innocently. Hiei growled in response, and Youko chuckled. 'I told you, Kurama. He does fancy the girl.'

'Don't be stupid. She is human.'

'Then why does your scent cling to her so?'

Hiei recalled the girl's relieved embrace the night before. He declined to answer the fox, and smirked instead.

Kagome walked back into the dojo to see Kurama and Hiei glaring at each other. Now what? she wondered. She glanced at the clock on the wall.

"Um, shouldn't Kurabara and Yuusuke be here by now?" she asked, interrupting the staredown.

"You're right," said Kurama. "Perhaps they ran into trouble in Makai."

"Oh, I hope not! Do you think they're okay?" Kurama's response was cut off when a portal suddenly opened and Botan stepped through.

"All right, guys! And Kagome! Koenma will see you now," Botan said, cheerful as always.

"What about Yuusuke and Kurabara?" asked Kagome.

"Oh, they're already there. They came straight from Makai with-- Well, you'll find out soon enough. Come on, let's get going!" Hiei, Kurama, and Kagome went through the portal, this time stepping directly into Koenma's office.

Hiei and Kurama both registered the overwhelmingly strong, unfamiliar youki immediately. True to Botan's word, Kurabara and Yuusuke were already there, along with Koenma and his lackey. What really caught their attention, though, was a tall figure hidden in unnatural shadow, standing silently in the corner.

Kagome froze when she saw the shadowy figure. Although she couldn't make out his face, something about him was vaguely familiar. He shifted, and the light glinted off a stray strand of silver hair. Something about the symmetry of the figure was off... Kagome gasped. No. It can't be. Not here.

The shadows dispelled, and Sesshoumaru stepped forward in all his regal glory.

"Miko," he said, his eyes narrowing, "it has been a very long time."

Yuusuke knocked his chair over as he hastily stood. "What the hell? Kagome, you know him?"

Kagome paled and backed away slowly, her eyes widening. Out of reflex, her hand flew to her hip where her sword should have been. Damnit. Didn't think I'd need to come armed.

Kurama and Hiei both saw her rising alarm, and in silent agreement, they stepped forward to stand between the girl and the taiyoukai, both ready to defend her if necessary.

'Sesshoumaru.'

Hiei was surprised when her voice registered in his mind, but his face didn't show it. So it is the same Sesshoumaru...Taiyoukai of the Western Lands of Makai, half-brother of Inuyasha.

Koenma stood when he saw the impending confrontation. He had suspected that the girl might know Sesshoumaru, because of her relation to his half-brother. But he'd have to calm things down quickly. The taiyoukai was too powerful an ally to lose over some silly insult to his pride.

"Sesshoumaru, I would like to introduce the rest of our team. This is Hiei and Youko Kurama, and I believe you are already acquainted with the miko taijiya, Higurashi Kagome."

"Yes, the little girl who used to traipse around after my idiotic half-brother." Sesshoumaru had been shocked when the girl had walked into the office, to say the least. His half-brother and the group he traveled with had disappeared without a trace over five hundred years ago, and the Tessaiga along with them. Sesshoumaru hadn't given Inuyasha a thought in centuries, but here was this girl...how?

Koenma turned to the two youkai standing protectively in front of Kagome. "This is Sesshoumaru, the Taiyoukai and Lord of the Western Lands of Makai. You will treat him with all the respect due one of his station." He sent each of them a hard glare that told them he meant it.

"You said nothing of the miko," Sesshoumaru said to Koenma. He wouldn't lower himself to inquire about how it was that she was here, but he'd be damned if he didn't get some answers anyway.

"Well, no, but she is central to the problem at hand. She and your brother, Inuyasha."

"Half-brother," Sesshoumaru corrected him automatically.

Koenma sighed. "Yes, half-brother."

"Whoa, back up a bit! This is Inuyasha's half-brother? And he knows Kagome?" asked Yuusuke.

Koenma glared at him. "If you'd been paying attention when she told her story, you would've realized that by now!"

"Where is the hanyou?" asked Sesshoumaru, ignoring Yuusuke's questions. "I have been waiting over five hundred years to give him the honor of death by my hand."

"No," whispered Kagome, drawing everyone's attention away from Sesshoumaru. "Not here. Not now." It's not possible. It's not fair! We were so close to having a team that could defeat Naraku, but now...

Koenma groaned internally. This was getting far too complicated for his tastes. "Ogre, go and get something for us to eat. I'm sure our guests are hungry. Why don't we all sit down? Kagome's story will take some time to tell." Kagome remained frozen in place, but Kurama retrieved a chair for her. She felt his gentle hand on her shoulder and sat, still numb from shock. Kurama sat on one side of her, and Hiei stood on the other. Sesshoumaru remained standing as well.

Koenma crouched in front of Kagome's chair to speak with her. "Now, Kagome, Sesshoumaru is a force to be reckoned with in Makai. If we are to defeat Naraku, we will need him as an ally. His hatred for Naraku runs deep. If you tell him your tale, we might be able to persuade him to join forces with us."

"You can't let him hurt Inuyasha," whispered Kagome. Koenma highly doubted that he could prevent the taiyoukai from doing anything, but he nodded to reassure the girl. They needed his cooperation, regardless of the cost.

Kagome's narrative was shorter this time, since Sesshoumaru already knew Inuyasha's tale and Naraku's story. She told him of the well and the origins of the jewel, and went into some detail about her companions. Maybe if he knows more about us, he'll be more inclined to let Inuyasha go, she hoped. Sesshoumaru asked short and pointed questions now and then, which Kagome answered truthfully. The ogre brought in some bento halfway through her story, which Kagome picked at halfheartedly. Hiei and Sesshoumaru both declined to eat.

Sesshoumaru was silent when Kagome finished her story. It was a lot to think about. If what she said was true...if Naraku had been gathering his strength for half a millennium in preparation of the final assault...an alliance would be necessary in order to defeat him, no matter how distasteful the prospect was to him.

"Miko. I will speak with you privately," Sesshoumaru finally said, breaking the silence. Kagome looked to Koenma for reassurance, and he nodded to her. Not even Sesshoumaru would shed blood here in Reikai.

"Everyone out," Koenma ordered. Hiei and Kurama were the last to leave, both glancing back at Kagome before they went into the waiting room and closed the door.

Kagome stood and walked up to Sesshoumaru. She seemed to wage an inner battle for a moment before she did the unexpected.

She bowed deeply to Sesshoumaru. "Please, Sesshoumaru-sama," she whispered. "Please don't kill Inuyasha." The feud between the brothers had gone on for so long, but if there was the smallest chance that begging would make the taiyoukai relent, Kagome would swallow her pride and beg for all she was worth.

Sesshoumaru frowned. "The hanyou has been a blight on my name for far too long. Allowing his continued existence would only weaken my position. I have no choice but to kill him."

Well, so much for begging. Kagome straightened and looked Sesshoumaru in the eye. "No." Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow at her audacity, surprised at the firmness in her voice. "You cannot kill him. We need him in the fight against Naraku. You would be a fool to destroy such a strong ally."

"You presume far too much, little miko. You cannot order this Sesshoumaru around the way you do that weakling half-brother of mine."

"Do I? Think carefully, Sesshoumaru. Naraku has grown in power since you last encountered him. Would you throw away your chance to destroy him because of politics? Which is more important to you, Sesshoumaru? Killing Naraku or killing Inuyasha?"

It was a fair question. Sesshoumaru had picked up the scent of Naraku's shouki on the borders of his lands two nights ago, but the hanyou was gone by the time he arrived. He was a devious and formidable foe, Sesshoumaru had to admit. But those who sat on the High Council would frown upon him if he allowed his half-human brother to live. Makai politics were complicated, and while Sesshoumaru was one of the strongest taiyoukai remaining, he did not want to lose what few allies he had on the Council.

"It cannot be helped," he said.

Kagome's mind raced furiously. She'd picked up snippets of information about Makai politics from the magazine in Koenma's waiting room and Kurama's lecture. Blood ties were strong, but there was another force that held sway over everything else...

"What if he was indebted to Reikai?" she asked suddenly. "What if he were under sentence from Koenma? Would you be able to kill him then?"

The girl's cleverness surprised him. One would think her to be dimwitted, from her stubborn loyalty to the half-breed. Perhaps there is something more to this girl than I previously thought.

"I would be unable to kill him then. The sentence would override my obligation." Sesshoumaru hated his half-brother; there was no denying that. But he hated Naraku even more, and if defeating him meant he had to suffer Inuyasha's continued existence, it was a price he was willing to pay.

"Very well, then," said Kagome. She reached over Koenma's desk and pressed the intercom button. "Koenma? Could you come in here, please?" she asked.

Koenma was a little disgruntled at being summoned into his own office. The things I put up with to keep the worlds safe... He entered and closed the door behind him.

"I understand that if Inuyasha was under sentence to Reikai, Sesshoumaru would be unable to kill him. Is that true?" Kagome asked.

The girl's question surprised him, but Koenma could see where she was going with this. "Yes. If he was indebted to us like Hiei and Kurama are, Sesshoumaru's blood obligation would be secondary to that sentence."

"Do you think you could come up with a violation and a sentence for Inuyasha? Something mild, but permanent?"

"Clever girl. He did trespass into Ningenkai without permission, regardless of the fact that he was never in Makai to begin with. I could sentence him to service for that," replied Koenma.

Kagome frowned. "I'm not so sure Inuyasha would agree to that. He's not really the serving type, if you know what I mean."

"We could think of something more agreeable to him. I will have someone draw up a few forms, and Inuyasha can choose one that is acceptable."

"Thank you so much! This makes everything so much simpler!" cried Kagome.

"And you are in agreement with this?" Koenma asked Sesshoumaru.

"My displeasure at my half-brother's continued existence is secondary to my disgust for Naraku. I will bear this for the sake of defeating Naraku."

Koenma used the intercom to call the rest of the group back into the office. "We have come to an agreement that will prevent any fighting between Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru. Now, I believe Sesshoumaru had something to tell us about Naraku."

"Indeed. I caught wind of Naraku's shouki two nights ago, near the eastern border of my lands. The coward fled by the time I arrived, but his scent is unmistakable. His youki is stronger than I remember, and he managed to absorb a few C-class demons before he left. However, the power of his barrier is great, and I could not track him past the borders of my lands."

Koenma nodded. "It is as we suspected. Naraku is preparing for an assault to gain the last of the Shikon shards."

"If he attacks in Tokyo...man, that's gonna be bad," said Yuusuke, stating the obvious. Everyone sat in silence, thinking of the devastation that Naraku could cause in modern-day Tokyo. But there wasn't any way around it, unless...

"He won't." Kagome's determined voice drew everyone's attention. "He won't come to Tokyo, because I'll come to him. I'm sick of hiding, sick of reacting to what that bastard does. No more. This time, we're going after him."

Yuusuke started to protest, but he was cut off by Koenma. "I was hoping you would say that, Kagome. You do realize that going into Makai will be dangerous for you, especially since you are both miko and taijiya-trained."

Kagome nodded. "I fought youkai in a time back when there were no barriers to keep them from the human world. And I'm not going to risk the lives of innocent people by waiting for him to attack the shrine."

"It's settled then. We will hunt down Naraku in Makai. We will need a plan for the battle, though," said Koenma.

"I have something in mind," said Kagome, and she proceeded to tell them her plan.

***********************************************

It was well after midnight when Kagome finally dragged her weary feet back into the shrine house. She wasn't surprised to find her mother waiting up for her.

"Kagome! Where have you been? We've been worried sick about you! I was ready to call the police!"

Kagome sighed. "You might want to sit down, Mama. I have something I need to tell you."

Two hours and three pots of tea later, Kagome and her mother sat in silence at the kitchen table. Kagome hadn't told her mother everything; she'd left out Hiei's threats, and the fact that he had been spending the night in her room. But she assured her mother that the shrine was being watched and protected, and that the allies she had gathered to fight Naraku were even stronger than before.

"I always knew you were leaving things out," Mama said, breaking the silence. "Your stories about the battles...it was a lot worse than you let on, wasn't it?"

Kagome nodded. Mothers...how do they know everything? "I didn't want to worry you. This is something I have to do, though. I hope you understand."

Mama smiled. "I was raised at this shrine, remember? I grew up with your grandfather's stories about heroes and villains, miko and youkai. I didn't believe them, not until you went through the well. But after that, I thought long and hard about those stories. If even half of them are true, then people like you have been keeping our world safe for a very long time. You are one of those people in the stories, Kagome. I don't want to see you hurt, but I understand your obligation and the threat to this world."

Kagome stared down at her teacup. It's still a fairytale to her, but I'm glad she isn't trying to stop me.

Mama patted Kagome's arm. "It's late, and you have school tomorrow. We should go to bed."

Kagome trudged upstairs to find Hiei waiting for her on the windowsill. She mumbled a 'goodnight' to him before she collapsed on the bed and went to sleep.

***********************************************

I really should have gotten more sleep last night, Kagome thought as she dragged herself to the well the next evening. That stupid bag was feeling extra heavy today, and the lack of sleep was getting to her.

Hiei was waiting for her when she slid open the door to the well house. "Are you ready?" she asked him.

"Ch." Kagome rolled her eyes, but by now she was used to his short replies. She had hoped that after he'd shown her his story, he would be more talkative. No such luck.

When Kagome climbed out of the well in the Sengoku Jidai behind Hiei, Inuyasha was already waiting for them.

"It's about time," he said.

"And hello to you, too, Inuyasha," Kagome said with a frown. "Have you told Sango and Miroku about what Kagura said?"

Inuyasha shook his head. "I wanted to wait for you. I finally got rid of that stupid wolf. Told him we'd picked up Naraku's scent to the south."

Kagome was relieved. Well, that's one less problem to deal with. The longer it took her to retrieve Kouga's shards, the longer they had before Naraku made his move.

"Well, we can't put this off forever. Let's go tell the others the news," Kagome said. Inuyasha and Hiei accompanied her to the village in silence.

They got more than a few odd stares from the villagers as the two familiar figures and a stranger with red eyes entered the village. Some were disapproving, and some were merely curious. By now, they were used to the strange happenings that came with having the shard-hunting group living in their village.

Kaede's expression betrayed no surprise when she saw Kagome and Inuyasha approaching with a figure that made her miko senses flare up in warning. A youkai...and a powerful one, at that. She stood from her seat near the door to her hut and called out to Miroku and Sango, who were preparing dinner with Shippou inside.

"Young Kagome has returned, and she brings a guest," she informed them. She heard the reed curtain rustle, and Sango, Miroku, and Shippou stepped out to stand beside her.

"Kagome, Inuyasha, who is this?" Miroku asked, never taking his eyes off of the small youkai.

Kagome sighed and looked at each of her friends in turn. This isn't going to be easy.

"Guys, we have to talk," she said. Everyone went into Kaede's hut for what was sure to be a long and interesting night.

Edited 17 May 2005