Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Paradox ❯ Kagome ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Paradox

Somnambulicious

Rating: NC-17

Disclaimer:
I don't own either
Inuyasha or YuYu;
Somebody else does.

*****************************************

Chapter 11: Kagome

Grandpa was the first to wander in out of the rain. Mama followed soon after, dragging her feet through the puddles. Hiei waited for Kagome to stand and go inside, but she remained frozen in place on her hands and knees. Finally, deciding that she'd catch her death of cold if she remained outside much longer, Hiei pulled her to up to stand and draped her arm over his shoulder. Her feet dragged the ground, and he ended up carrying her rather than just supporting her.

Hiei didn't stop until he'd pulled a chair out for her in the kitchen, where Mama and Grandpa were already sitting. She dropped into the chair with a wet thump and stared with unseeing eyes at the table.

They were all just sitting there, staring at nothing, and Hiei was beginning to get irritated. He needed to know exactly what had happened.

"Woman," he said, bringing Mama out of her daze. "Tell me exactly what took place."

Kagome almost didn't recognize her mother's broken voice when she finally spoke. "Souta wanted to go outside after dinner. He said he had to practice what she taught him. It wasn't but ten or fifteen minutes, and then we heard-- we heard--" Mama choked back a sob, but she continued. "He was screaming. Grandpa and I, we ran outside, but he was already there. He was wearing a white baboon pelt, and he had these tentacles wrapped around Souta's neck, and there was this...this barrier thing, like a dome. He said-- He said that it was time for her to get the last of the shards, and he was taking Souta to make sure she completed her duty. Then he said he wanted her to know how serious he was, and he took a knife and-- And--" Mama's voice dissolved, and she started to weep again.

Hiei frowned. He recognized the stench of the evil hanyou; it was the same scent he'd smelled on Kagura. If they were lucky, they might be able to track him down and end this all for good.

He looked at Kagome, who was slumped forward in her chair, and sighed deeply. He couldn't leave her here like this. But he had to do something...

'Kagome,' he said, touching her lightly on her shoulder, 'I am going to find Kurama and tell him to meet me here. I won't be long. Don't go anywhere. Don't move from this spot until I return.' Kagome nodded absently, and Hiei vanished.

When he returned a couple of minutes later, nothing had changed. Kagome and Grandpa were still staring off into space, while Mama held her head in her hands and sobbed quietly. Hiei stood behind Kagome, waiting for the others to arrive.

A few minutes passed, and the back door flew open as Yuusuke, Kurama, and Kurabara burst in.

"Hiei, what the hell--" Yuusuke's voice trailed off when he saw Kagome and the two other humans staring off into space as though the world had just ended. It seemed to take a lot of effort for Kagome to rouse herself, and she shook as she stood up.

"He took him," Kagome said in a hollow voice. "Naraku took my brother hostage for the jewel shards, and he cut off his finger to show he was serious."

"Oh, shit," whispered Yuusuke. Kurama had to agree with him. This was just about the worst possible thing that could have happened.

"Do you have a picture of the boy?" Kurama asked. "And something that smells of him." Kagome nodded and took a picture off of the wall and reached up on top of the refrigerator to retrieve a red baseball cap. She handed them to Kurama without a word.

Kurama looked at the picture, memorizing it. It was a school portrait, and Souta looked to be about ten years old. He had his sister's eyes, and her smile as well.

"These will be perfect. Thank you, Kagome. Hiei, can you show us where this happened?" Hiei nodded and led the group outside. They needed to act quickly if they hoped to catch Naraku. Kagome dropped back into her chair and stared at the table, trying to avoid her mother's eyes.

"There it is," Hiei said, pointing at a spot in the grass. Kurama crouched down and frowned when he saw the severed finger. The scent of Souta's blood had almost completely dissolved in the rain, but he could still pick up on the underlying stench of Naraku. He fished a handkerchief out of his pocket and wrapped it around the little finger.

"I'll take this to Koenma," Kurama said. "I'm not really sure what I should do with it." He turned to Yuusuke. "Can you tell what direction he went?"

Yuusuke frowned down at the spirit meter in his hands. "Shit. The thing's gone haywire. It's totally useless."

Kurama sighed deeply. "We'd better get to Koenma. Then I guess we'll just have to start searching Makai."

"Without any idea where he went? That's insane!" shouted Yuusuke.

"If you have any better ideas, fearless leader, I'd be glad to entertain them," Kurama said, glaring at Yuusuke.

"I'm staying," said Hiei. Kurama nodded. Somebody would have to remain behind to protect Kagome and her family, and from the looks of her, Kagome would need the support.

Yuusuke pulled out his communicator and connected to Reikai. "Botan, we need to see Koenma. Now."

*****************************************

Kagome jumped slightly when she felt a hand on her shoulder, but relaxed when she saw that it was Hiei. She leaned back, taking comfort in his silent strength.

"Mama," she whispered. Her mother still refused to look up. "Mama, look at me."

Her mother raised her eyes to meet Kagome's, and Kagome cringed at the sorrow and anger that marred her mother's face. "You..." Mama whispered. "I should have stopped this whole thing a long time ago. I should never have let you go back. If it wasn't for you and that damned jewel..."

Kagome stood. "Don't you think I know that, mother?" Hiei was a bit taken aback at the bitterness in Kagome's voice. "My friends...all of them...their lives have been ruined because of me. Because of my stupid mistakes. If it wasn't for me, Sango's clan would still be alive. If it wasn't for me, Naraku would have been weak enough for Miroku to kill him a long time ago. If it wasn't for me, Inuyasha wouldn't be going to hell with Kikyou. If it wasn't for me, Shippou wouldn't be an orphan." Her shoulders shook, and her voice rose to a shout. "Don't you think I know by now that the whole damned world would be better off if I hadn't ever been born? I've lived with that for the past two years. And Souta...this only confirms it."

Kagome was desperately hoping that her mother would deny it, say that the world was better because Kagome was there, but her hopes were dashed when Mama just looked away, refusing to meet her daughter's pained gaze.

Grandpa laid a hand on Mama's shoulder. "You can't blame Kagome for this. She's not responsible for Naraku's actions."

Mama's shoulders sagged, and she looked down at her hands, clenching and unclenching them in her lap. "I don't know what to think anymore. It just didn't seem real until now, and now, my son... My poor, innocent son... He never had anything to do with this."

Mama's accusing glare made Kagome's heart clench, and she collapsed to the floor with a sob, giving herself completely over to the guilt and self-pity that threatened to drown her soul. She felt Hiei lift her up off of the floor, and didn't protest when he draped her arm over his shoulders again.

Hiei glared at the woman sitting at the table. "She must be strong if you want to see your son again. You are not helping." Without another word, Hiei turned his back and lead Kagome upstairs to her bedroom.

Kagome was shaking uncontrollably by the time Hiei helped her to the bed. He frowned. Her clothes and hair were still soaked from the rain, and if she wasn't careful, she'd get sick. That was the last thing they needed right now.

'Kagome. You have to put on some dry clothes.' Kagome nodded numbly and started to peel off the wet shirt, heedless of the fire apparition in the room with her. Hiei turned his back and waited for her to finish changing clothes.

He heard the shirt fall to the floor with a wet thump, followed by the skirt. But after that, the girl didn't move. After a couple of minutes of silence, Hiei started to get worried.

'Kagome?' When she didn't answer, Hiei turned around. She was sitting on the side of the bed in nothing but her underwear, her wet hair still plastered to her shoulders. She wasn't moving, just staring out into space again. With a heavy sigh, Hiei retrieved a pair of soft, stretchy pants and a long-sleeved shirt from the dresser.

For all the help Kagome gave him, Hiei might as well have been dressing a doll. She kept staring ahead, her expression never wavering, as he helped her into the dry clothes. Once she was dressed, he pulled back the covers and laid her down on the bed.

Hiei stood to go and sit on the windowsill as usual, but he stopped short when he felt Kagome's hand pulling on his sleeve.

Kagome gazed up at him with sorrowful brown eyes, and without warning, Hiei felt her mental barriers completely drop. He was nearly floored by the wave of grief he felt from her. She blamed herself alone for what had happened to Souta. If she hadn't broken the jewel, if she hadn't told Souta to practice, if she had insisted on extra protection for her family, if she had been stronger, better, faster, more careful, then Souta wouldn't be gone.

'He will pay,' Hiei told her vehemently. 'Naraku will pay for this and every other dishonorable thing he's ever done.'

Kagome felt comforted by his words, and to her surprise, Hiei settled down on the bed next to her, leaning against the headboard. He pulled her up so that her head rested on his chest, with his arms around her.

'Sleep. You must be strong for what is to come. You must be strong for your brother.'

His voice in her mind soothed Kagome, and she closed her eyes and drifted off to the steady sound of Hiei's heartbeat in her ears.

*****************************************

Kurama knocked on the door to Kagome's house at nine o'clock sharp the next morning. Unfortunately, he didn't have much news for the family; there had been no detectable break in the barrier, and they still hadn't picked up a trace of Naraku in Makai. But he wanted to check on Kagome, to make sure she was handling this well.

Grandpa answered the door and led Kurama into the living room. "Any news?" he asked.

Kurama shook his head. "We're still looking. I can assure you that every resource we have available is being used to get a lock on Naraku's location. How is Kagome?"

"I haven't seen her this morning. I suppose she's still asleep in bed. Her room is the second on the left upstairs." Grandpa shuffled back into the kitchen, leaving Kurama to find his way to Kagome's bedroom.

He was about to turn the doorknob when he heard Hiei's soft growl of warning in his mind.

'Do not disturb her. She sleeps.'

'I wanted to tell her about the search,' Kurama said.

'You can tell me. I will give her the information when she awakes. She will need to be rested for the battle ahead.'

Kurama sighed. 'Very well. There was nothing to indicate a break in the barrier, so we're not sure how Naraku got here in the first place. Yuusuke and Kurabara are still searching in Makai, but they have no leads. Koenma wants Kagome to retrieve the remaining shards and her friends as quickly as possible, and then go to Reikai. Her family will be protected at Genkai's temple.'

'I will tell her. See to it that no one else attempts to disturb her.'

Kurama was a bit surprised at Hiei's sudden protectiveness of the girl, but he did as Hiei asked, stopping on his way out of the house to tell the old man that Kagome needed her rest. With that, he opened a portal back to Makai and went to join the others in the fruitless hunt.

Hiei was relieved when Kurama didn't insist on seeing Kagome. The scene in her bedroom would have ruined his carefully built reputation of misanthropy. During the night, Kagome had squirmed her way over to curl up on his lap completely, her head tucked under his chin and her hands fisted in his clothes. He hadn't stopped her for fear of waking her; this would be the last night of undisturbed sleep she would probably get for a long time, and she had to be rested and sharp to defeat Naraku.

*****************************************

It was well almost noon when Hiei finally felt Kagome begin to stir. He waited quietly until her eyes fluttered open, and she stared up at him in shock.

"Hiei? What are you--" She stopped cold when everything suddenly came back to her. A brief look of pain and grief passed over her eyes, but it was soon replaced by one of determination. Hiei nodded approvingly.

'The fox was here. They have had no luck in locating Naraku and your brother.'

"I didn't think they would." She pulled herself out of Hiei's lap and moved to stand at the window, gazing out over the shrine grounds. The sky was overcast and low, giving the view an air of expectancy. "We're going through the well. Kouga will give me the shards today." There was a hard edge to her voice that Hiei had never heard before.

Hiei waited in her bedroom while Kagome showered and dressed in her taijiya uniform. He accompanied her downstairs, and waited silently while she packed a few things in the backpack.

"Kagome?" She looked up from her bag to see Mama standing in the doorway to the kitchen. Her eyes were puffy and red, and she swayed a bit on her feet.

"Mama?" Hiei saw Kagome cringe. Apparently, she hadn't completely recovered from her mother's accusation the night before.

"Honey, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I said those things. I don't know what I was--"

"You were in shock. We all were, Mama." Kagome turned back to her bag and started counting the bandages.

"You're going back?" Mama asked. Kagome nodded, not looking up from the bag. Mama sighed. "I don't want you to go."

"I have to. I have to get the shards and save Souta." Kagome still refused to look at her mother, and Mama felt a twinge of regret.

"But I've already lost one child," Mama said, her eyes brimming over with tears. "I can't bear to lose you, too."

Kagome closed her eyes and breathed deeply. "Don't talk like that, Mama. Souta is alive. I am going to save him. Naraku will suffer for his crimes. And then, I am going to obliterate his very soul from existence. He will pay."

Mama was taken aback by the determination in her daughter's voice. Last night was the first time that the reality of Kagome's life had truly hit her, but it wasn't until now that Mama actually connected that reality with the girl sitting in her kitchen, rifling through an oversized backpack. All this time...all this time, she's been fighting him, and I never knew how bad it really was. All those bandages, all that medicine...how many lives did she save? How many was she too late to save? She suddenly realized that the girl -- no, woman in her kitchen was a complete stranger to her.

"Please, just be careful sweetie. I'll be waiting for you and Souta to come back to me," Mama said, and finally, Kagome turned and gave her a small smile.

"You and Grandpa are going to stay with Genkai. Her temple is the safest place for you to be right now. You should probably go ahead and start packing."

Mama nodded. "I've already packed. I had planned on taking Grandpa to a hotel in Osaka, but we will go and stay with this Genkai if you say so."

'The fox is here,' Hiei told Kagome.

"Kurama will stay here with you until you're ready to go. He'll take you to Genkai's." Kagome shouldered her backpack and walked to the door. She turned around and spoke to her mother one last time before leaving for her last trip to the past.

"Stay on the temple grounds. Don't stray, or you'll be vulnerable, and I really don't need that possibility hanging over my head right now."

"We'll be cautious, honey. And you be careful too."

"You don't have to worry about me," Kagome said, and then she walked out the door with Hiei beside her, leaving her mother to wonder whether she'd ever see either of her children ever again.

*****************************************

Inuyasha picked up on her scent halfway to the village. He dropped out of a tree and landed on the path in front of Kagome and Hiei.

"Kagome? Is something wrong? You're not supposed to be back until tomorrow!" He saw that Hiei was with her, and thanked the gods that she hadn't come yesterday, on the night of the new moon; he didn't like the idea of this strange youkai knowing when he was most vulnerable. The grim look on her face worried Inuyasha, and she was already dressed in her taijiya clothes. This couldn't be good.

"We've got to talk. All of us." The tone of Kagome's voice left no room for argument, and Inuyasha was left to walk behind her in silence.

Once everyone was gathered in Kaede's hut, Kagome settled back against the wall and took a deep breath before she began.

"Inuyasha, do you know where Kouga is?" she asked.

He nodded. "I've been keeping track of the wolf tribe. Three days ago, they were headed southeast, away from the dens in the north."

"Good. We're leaving today to find Kouga, and we're taking his shards."

"It's about time!" Inuyasha grinned and cracked his knuckles. "But why the sudden desire to find that wimpy wolf? I thought you wanted to wait as long as possible before gathering the last of the shards."

"He took my brother."

Nobody quite knew what to make of her cryptic statement, but Inuyasha asked slowly, "What do you mean, he took your brother?"

"Naraku. He kidnapped Souta, and he's holding him somewhere in Makai. He cut off one of Souta's fingers as a warning."

"WHAT?" Inuyasha was on his feet, his eyes blazing and his hand on the hilt of his sword. Sango had her hand over her mouth; she looked like she was going to be sick.

"When did this happen?" asked Miroku.

"Last night. Will you guys be ready to come through the well with me as soon as we get Kouga's shards?"

Miroku sighed and nodded. "I've written a letter to Mushin. Kaede will send it when I am gone."

"I'm ready whenever you are, Kagome!" cried Shippou.

All eyes turned toward Sango, who had her eyes downcast. "I'll be ready," she whispered, and before anyone could say a word, she stood and left the hut.

Kagome sighed. "I'll go talk to her," she said, and followed Sango.

Sango walked until she came to the edge of the forest. She sat down in the shade of one of the larger trees and buried her face in her hands.

She didn't like feeling this way, but she couldn't suppress her anger. All this time, Kohaku has been under Naraku's control, and now, when it's Kagome's brother who's been kidnapped, we're suddenly in a hurry. Where was all this determination and rush when Kohaku had needed their help? But no, Kagome had her school to take care of. She had other priorities until it was her own brother who was attacked.

"Sango?" She lifted her head to see Kagome standing before her, nervously fidgeting with her hands. Sango looked back down at her feet. She didn't like being angry with Kagome.

Kagome sat down next to Sango. "Sango, I'm so sorry," she whispered. "I thought I understood. I had no idea... I'm so sorry." Her eyes glistened with tears. "How could I have been so callous? I kept going back home, when your brother was suffering. When you were suffering. And Miroku... Every day I spent back home was one day less for him to live. I'm such an awful friend." Sango heard her sob softly.

"I can't tell you that it's okay, because the truth is I am a little angry with you right now. But the important thing now is that we work together to save our brothers, no matter how we have to do it." Sango gave her a soft smile. "I don't think you're an awful friend, Kagome. At least you kept coming back. A lot of people wouldn't have done that." I don't even know if I would, had I been in your place.

"Thank you. I'll make it up to you somehow, I promise." Kagome stood and offered a hand to Sango, and her voice hardened. "Let's go. We've got family to save."

"Right." Sango took her hand and rose from the forest floor. Now wasn't the time for petty sulking.

*****************************************

The sun had set an hour ago, but the group showed no signs of slowing down. Usually, it was Kagome who insisted that they stop for the night, but her determination gave her newfound strength, and so they forged onward in search of the wolf clan.

Kagome pushed her bike up the rocky path, with Shippou snoozing in the basket. Inuyasha was leading the group, since he knew where they were going and could smell out the wolves. Sango and Kagome walked side by side behind him, with Miroku bringing up the rear, as usual. Hiei kept to the trees, remaining out of sight.

Finally, Miroku called for a halt.

"We can't see well enough to go on. If we keep this up, one of us is going to get injured. We have to stop for the night," he said.

Kagome was disappointed, but she had to agree with him. An injury would only delay her brother's rescue even longer.

"This is as good a place as any," she said, dropping her pack on the forest floor. "I've got some meal bars if anyone's hungry. We'll leave at dawn."

Sango and Miroku both took one of the energy bars, and quickly settled down for the night. The October air was brisk, but none of them had the energy to gather firewood and start a fire. Miroku was too exhausted to even suggest 'sharing body heat,' as he usually did on cold nights. Kagome was asleep as soon as her head hit the sleeping bag.

Hours later, Kagome was awakened by someone shaking her shoulder. She was startled to see red eyes peering down at her in the darkness until she realized who it was.

"Hiei?" She sat up and looked around. It was still dark out, but a campfire crackled nearby. "Did you start a fire?"

'Humans are vulnerable to cold.'

"What time is it?"

'A few hours before dawn. The wolves are coming. They will be here in a few minutes.'

Kagome groaned. She really wasn't ready for this, but it had to be done. She could sense the shards coming nearer. Hiei leapt up into a tree, and Kagome roused the rest of the group. Inuyasha was already awake, standing at the edge of the camp and looking outward.

Kagome went to stand at Inuyasha's side. In the pale light of the fire, she could barely make out a frown on his face. "Inuyasha? What's wrong?"

"I smell blood. The blood of wolves."

Kagome heard Sango's sharp intake of breath behind her. This wasn't good.

They heard a rustling further up on the path, and soon they could make out three figures coming toward them out of the shadows. When the wolves stepped into the light of the campfire, Kagome had to stifle a scream.

Ginta and Hakkaku were supporting Kouga between them. His left leg had been severed just below the knee.

Kouga raised his head to give Kagome a pained grin. She could see a trickle of dried blood at the corner of his mouth. "Hey. How's my woman?"

Kagome let out a muffled cry as she rushed forward to embrace the wolf prince. She latched herself around his waist and buried her head in his chest, sobbing. Kouga put his arms around her, letting her support him as he stroked her hair.

"Shh, Kagome, don't cry," he murmured softly. "I came to give these to you." Kagome lifted her head and looked down to see Kouga holding two jewel shards in the palm of his hand.

She looked back up at him, and Kouga could see the tears streaming down her cheeks. "Kouga, I--"

"Shh. Just take them. They've caused enough trouble for my pack."

Kagome shook her head. "Let me look at your injuries first. We'll talk later." Inuyasha was about to protest, but Kagome sent him a glare that shut him up. She helped Kouga sit down next to the fire and knelt down in front of him.

"Sango, bring me my pack." Kagome gently unwound the blood-soaked bandages that covered what was left of Kouga's leg. To her relief, the skin around the wound was free of the red streaks that would indicate infection. The flesh where his leg had been severed was blackened, and she could see that new skin was already starting to grow around the edges.

"It looks like it was burned," she said.

Kouga nodded. "Ginta used a hot sword blade to burn it. We had to stop the bleeding."

Kagome shuddered. Sengoku Jidai cauterization... She reached into her backpack and fished out the first aid kit. After donning a pair of sterile latex gloves, she squeezed some antibacterial ointment out into her palm and gently applied it to the wound.

"I'm going to let you take the rest of this with you," she said as she retrieved a package of sterile gauze. "Apply the ointment a few times daily, and change the bandages when you do. It will help keep the wound from getting infected. Oh, and boil the water you use to wash the wound. That will kill any...evil spirits in the water that make you sick." Kouga nodded, and she gently wrapped his leg with gauze, using a bit of waterproof tape to secure it. Then she pulled a pair of clean tube socks out of her bag and eased one over his leg so that it would hold the bandages in place. She pulled the sock up as high as it would reach, blushing when her hand brushed Kouga's inner thigh.

He grinned at her. "No need to be shy with me, Kagome. I've already claimed you as my mate." Kagome started to protest, but stopped when she saw his wistful smile. Oh, god, Kouga, how will you survive?

"Now what about the shards?" Inuyasha asked impatiently. Kagome scowled at him.

"Can't you lay off for just a little bit? He's injured!" She turned back to Kouga. "Do you have any more injuries?"

Kouga shook his head. "Nothing serious. Those damn bird-brains took a potshot at me. There were just too many of them." He looked off into the forest. "We lost half of our brothers in the battle. That's why I'm giving you my shards. Those damn things attract too much trouble for the tribe. I've put them through enough grief."

"Thank you, Kouga," Kagome said, squeezing his hand. "I promise you we'll avenge the wolves that Naraku killed. These are the last of the shards. Naraku and I have the rest."

"Have you found the bastard?" Kouga asked.

Kagome sighed. "He's in my country now. He kidnapped my little brother, and now we have to hunt him down there." She suddenly brightened. "Kouga, you can come with us! We have much better medical care there, and we can get you a prosthetic leg!" Kagome could hear both Inuyasha and Hiei growling behind her, but she didn't care. Kouga was a good friend, and she didn't want to leave him here to die.

Kouga smiled at her. "I'd love to come with you, but I've got to see after the pack. I might have only one leg, but I'm still the best leader they've got. Those knuckleheads don't have half a brain between them." He saw the tears spill from Kagome's eyes again, and Kouga reached out to brush them away with a clawed finger. "Don't worry. If dog-shit over there can live as long as he has with a persimmon for a brain, then I won't have any trouble just missing half a leg."

"Hey! I don't have a persimmon for a brain, you mangy wolf!"

Kagome ignored Inuyasha's outburst. "You should probably get some sleep. All of you," she added, looking at Ginta and Hakkaku. "Inuyasha and Hiei will keep watch." The fire apparition and the hanyou both glared at her for that, but they didn't argue. They would have been keeping watch anyway.

Kagome brought her sleeping bag over and laid it down next to Kouga. She helped him lie down on it and zipped it up. Kouga buried his nose in the fabric and inhaled deeply, smiling.

"It smells like you, Kagome..." He closed his eyes and drifted off into a much-needed sleep. Kagome settled back against a nearby tree and tried to get comfortable. She rubbed her arms and shivered, suddenly regretting that she hadn't thought to pack any extra blankets. A bundle of black fabric suddenly landed in her lap, and she looked up to see Hiei wearing only his pants and a sleeveless black shirt.

'Put it on. Humans are vulnerable to cold.'

She gave him a grateful smile. "Thank you, Hiei." She slipped into the long-sleeved robe. She could see Inuyasha frowning at her from across the camp, but she shrugged it off and instead looked up at Hiei, who was now crouched in the branches of a nearby tree. Oh, my... Now that his arms were exposed, she could appreciate just how muscular he was. It took her a moment to notice the bandages wrapped around his forearms.

'Hiei? Are you injured?' she asked.

'Hardly.'

'What are the bandages for?'

'They restrain the dragon.' Kagome remembered the flame-shrouded black dragon Hiei had shown her in his memories.

'Does it hurt?' Hiei almost chuckled at the concern in Kagome's mental voice.

'No, it does not hurt. You should sleep. We have a long journey ahead of us, and that Reikai brat will no doubt want to interrogate you for hours when we get back.'

Kagome tried to sleep. She really did, but images of Souta being tortured by Naraku plagued her mind. Stop it, Kagome, she scolded herself. You're only making things worse. Determined to banish the awful thoughts from her mind, she instead thought about what had happened to her last night, just before she'd found out about Souta.

They kissed me... She brushed her fingers across her lips, as if trying to confirm that it had been real. She'd received her very first kiss last night from a kitsune avatar, only to be kissed for the second time, minutes later, by a jealous fire apparition.

She couldn't help but compare the two kisses in her mind. Kurama's had been gentle, almost tentative, as if he wasn't sure he'd wanted to kiss her. Hiei's, on the other hand, had been demanding and forceful, full of passion and pent-up frustration. Just the thought of it left her weak in the knees. Who knew he had that kind of passion inside him? They hadn't talked about it today, but Kagome was determined not to let it slide. She had to know if he really liked her, or if he was just trying to get one up on Kurama.

Hiei groaned when he caught the change in Kagome's scent. Not again. He saw Inuyasha glance at her and sniff the air, but the hanyou just shrugged and settled back down on the tree branch and continued to gaze up at the stars. Unfortunately for Hiei, he couldn't ignore it that well.

The memory of last night's kiss came to mind, only making his frustration worse. What had he been thinking? Hiei snorted as the answer came to mind. I wasn't. The sight of Kagome actually returning Kurama's gentle kiss was bad, but it was the masculine scent of the fox on the girl that had driven him over the edge. At that point, his instincts had kicked in and demanded that he overpower the scent of another male on his...

His...

What exactly was Kagome to him? He could no longer deny that he had feelings for the girl. He'd ceased lumping her in with all other humans a while ago. There were humans, and then there was Kagome. But he was still too afraid of rejection to take his relationship with her any further. Yes, she had seen something of his past, but she still hadn't seen the Jagan, or what he became when he took on his other form.

When she did see it, she would be disgusted. She would reject him then, just as she should. One as pure as her had no business with one as tainted as him.

But that kiss... He had surprised himself with the raw emotion he'd poured into it, but he was even more shocked at the enthusiasm with which Kagome had responded. She certainly hadn't kissed the fox back like that, hadn't run her fingers through his hair, clutched at his clothes, slipped her tongue into his mouth and--

And--

Unbidden, Hiei's mind supplied images of what might have happened if they'd been in a more secluded place, if he hadn't picked up on the scent of the boy's blood. He glanced down at the girl who was curled up next to the tree, wearing his clothes. It certainly wouldn't help things now that she would be practically swimming in his scent.

Gods... Hiei shifted on the branch. Maybe he'd been wrong about humans. He'd thought they were all weak and pathetic morons, but here was this girl who seemed to actually enjoy sleeping on the ground, with her hand resting on the hilt of her sword (Good girl,) wearing that delectable-looking taijiya outfit underneath his clothes. Yes, she was kind. Yes, she was innocent. But the girl was no weakling.

Hiei shook his head. He hadn't changed his mind about humanity. Kagome was merely an exception to the rule.

And gods, what an exception she was.

*****************************************

Miroku was the first to wake the next morning. He raised an eyebrow at the sight of Kagome snuggled up in what looked like Hiei's clothes. He sent the silent fire apparition a knowing grin, which Hiei ignored. Miroku folded his blanket and set about preparing breakfast.

The smell of vegetable stew and hot coffee (both provided by Kagome) soon roused the rest of the group. After she stood and stretched a bit, Kagome started to pull off Hiei's robe, but she stopped when she heard his voice in her mind.

'Leave it on. The day will be cold.'

She smiled at him, grateful for the additional warmth of the cloak. Getting to look at Hiei all day wearing that sleeveless shirt was just an added bonus. She tied her green obi around her waist and hung her wakizashi at her hip.

Kouga grumbled about "his woman" wearing another male's clothes while she served breakfast, but his complaints ceased as soon as he took a big slurp of the stew.

"Damn, woman, this is good!" Ginta and Hakkaku heartily agreed, and Miroku was suddenly glad he'd prepared all four cans of the stew in Kagome's pack. Those wolves ate like...well...wolves.

"Do you want some coffee?" asked Kagome, offering him a cup. "It'll help keep you alert."

Kouga sniffed at the dark liquid and wrinkled his nose. "I think I'll pass."

After breakfast, Kouga announced that it was time for them to leave. Kagome gave him her backpack and all of its contents, including the sleeping bag. She felt it was the least she could do for him, since the mess with the jewel was all her fault anyway.

"I'd better get back to what's left of the pack. We're heading back to the caves to recuperate." Kouga gave Kagome a rather hungry look, letting his eyes roam over her body. "It's a pity you're not coming back with me, Kagome. I could use your help in replenishing the pack."

Kagome blushed furiously, and Inuyasha growled at the wolf. "You bastard! You can't talk about Kagome like that! And stop looking at her like she's a piece of meat!"

"You think you can do something about it, dog-shit? I may have just one leg, but I can whip your scrawny little ass anyway!"

Inuyasha started forward, but was stopped by the warning tone in Kagome's voice. "Inuyasha..." He knew she was prepared to use 'the word' if he attacked, and he had no desire to be humiliated in front of the wolves.

"Feh!"

"Take care of yourselves, guys," said Kagome.

Kouga flashed her a smile. "I'll be waiting for you to come and join me once Naraku is dead."

Kagome just ducked her head and blushed again.

"Goodbye, sis!"

"Seeya, sis!"

With that, the three wolves disappeared into the woods, with Kouga once again supported between Ginta and Hakkaku. Once they were out of hearing range, Kagome turned to Inuyasha.

"You didn't have to be so mean to him! He's injured!"

"Hell, Kagome, he started it!"

"And you kept it going! Why do you always have to fight him?"

"He's not good enough for you, Kagome, and you don't do a good enough job of turning him down."

Sango and Miroku were both shocked at the bitter laugh that came out of Kagome's mouth. They'd never heard anything like it coming from the sweet and innocent girl they knew.

"Not good enough for me? That's a laugh. It was my stupid mistake, shattering the jewel, that ultimately made him lose his leg. I'm the girl who's bringing about the end of the world. On the contrary, Inuyasha, I doubt that I'm good enough for him. Everyone I come into contact with, their lives end in tragedy."

Inuyasha was shocked into silence, and Miroku and Sango just gaped at her. Did she really think that way about herself?

Inuyasha was the first to recover. "That's not true, Kagome. One of those Harpies cut off his leg, not you. And don't you ever say that you ruin people's lives. Don't even think it!"

Miroku nodded. "He's right, Kagome. You cannot blame yourselves for the evil acts that others commit. The world is a dangerous place. It's not your fault."

"Yeah, Kagome!" Shippou leapt up onto her shoulder. "Don't say things like that! I would be all alone if it wasn't for you!"

Kagome smiled sadly at the kit. She didn't have the heart to tell him that it was her fault his parents were dead, her fault that the Thunder Brothers had killed his parents for the jewel shard.

She gently lifted Shippou off of her shoulder and set him on the ground. "If it's okay with you guys, I think I'm going to take a little walk, just to clear my head." Without waiting for an answer, Kagome turned and walked into the forest.

Inuyasha started to go after her, but was stilled by Miroku's restraining hand on his shoulder. He looked at the houshi, who shook his head.

"She needs the time alone. Kagome has a lot to come to terms with. Let's go ahead and clean up camp. We'll be ready to go as soon as she gets back." Inuyasha grumbled, but he did as Miroku suggested. Nobody noticed that Hiei was gone as well.

Hiei followed the girl a short way into the forest, until she sat down on a log and sighed heavily. He jumped down from the tree he was in and stood beside her.

'Self-pity won't help you defeat him,' he told her. Kagome glared at him.

"What do you know?" she snapped.

"I know that you're sitting on a log feeling sorry for yourself instead of hunting down Naraku."

Kagome hung her head. "I know," she said softly. "How can you even stand to be around me?"

Hiei snorted. "I should be asking you the same thing."

Kagome looked up at him curiously. "What do you mean?"

Hiei's eyes narrowed. "Don't play stupid with me. You know what I am. You know what I am capable of."

Kagome shrugged. "That doesn't matter to me." Then something occurred to her. If he thought she didn't like him, then... "Then...that kiss," she said. "You didn't mean it, did you?"

'Did it feel like I didn't mean it?'

Kagome blushed. "No," she said. "Is it because of the eye? Is that why you think I wouldn't like you?"

Hiei didn't answer. When she stood and started to walk toward him, he backed away. "What are you doing, woman?"

"I want to see it," she said. "Please?"

Hiei growled and started to back away again, but Kagome whispered, "Freeze." His eyes widened, and he froze in place. He'd almost forgotten about the subduing rosary, and he cursed himself for not fleeing the moment she'd said she wanted to see it. But at least now he would know if he was just wasting his time with her.

Kagome gently lifted the white headband up and slipped it over his hair. She held the hair off of his forehead with one hand, and saw a single lavender eye looking back at her curiously. The Jagan blinked, and she giggled.

"Something funny?" Hiei growled.

"No, I was just surprised is all. It's cute."

Hiei would have lost his footing if he hadn't been frozen in place. She just said... She just said the Jagan was cute? The Jagan? He must have heard her wrong.

Kagome looked back down at Hiei's eyes -- the ones he was born with -- and was surprised to see the wariness in them. Oh, gods. He's been rejected so many times because of this. He really was afraid I'd run away.

Keeping her hand on his forehead above the Jagan, Kagome leaned forward to place a light, almost experimental kiss on Hiei's lips. It felt strange, to be the one doing the kissing, but she found that she liked it. She parted her lips slightly and tried again, and by this time the spell had worn off. Hiei responded.

With zeal.

In the blink of an eye, Kagome found herself pressed up against a tree, Hiei's body pinning her there. She gasped in surprise, and he slid his tongue between her lips. She wrapped her arms around his back, pulling him closer, and he grasped the obi at the sides of her waist.

Hiei felt her relax completely, melting into the kiss. She moaned when his tongue brushed against hers, so he did it again and was rewarded when she pressed her hips against his, instinctively seeking out what would fulfill the need growing within her. He slid his right hand up to cup her breast through the layers of fabric, kneading it, rubbing his thumb over where he knew the nipple would be. She moaned again, letting her hands slide up to run her fingers lightly over his bare shoulders.

He pulled his lips away from her mouth, only to move on to her neck, pulling the fabric of the robe down so he could nip at the skin there. He felt her shudder, and when she whimpered his name almost incoherently, he ground his hips against her, making her feel the need she inspired in him, showing her what she did to him. He felt her legs go slack and part ever so slightly, and when he felt the smooth, slick texture of her tongue on the tip of his ear, he growled deeply.

But when she started nibbling on his earlobe, it nearly sent him over the edge. He broke away from her completely, jumping backward to land in a low crouch with one hand on the ground. Kagome fell to her knees with the sudden loss of support."Hiei?" Kagome's voice was small and confused. "Why..."

"Woman," he growled out, "you don't know what you're doing to me." He lifted his head to meet her gaze, and Kagome felt her breath catch in her throat when she saw the raw hunger in them.

"I- I'm sorry, I didn't mean to--" Hiei was breathing hard and clenching his fists, and Kagome grew alarmed. "Hiei? Did I hurt you?"

She grew even more worried when an odd, choked sound escaped Hiei's lips, and it took a moment for her to realize what was happening.

Hiei was chuckling.

She stared at him with wide eyes as he fell back on the ground and clutched at his sides, roaring with laughter. It was contagious, and soon Kagome found herself giggling. By the time they both recovered, tears were streaming down Kagome's cheeks, and Hiei's face was flushed.

"I guess that was a pretty stupid question," Kagome said with a grin.

Hiei simply raised an eyebrow. By now, he had recovered his usual expressionless mask, but his eyes still sparkled with amusement.

"I guess we should probably head back to camp. I'm surprised Inuyasha hasn't come looking for me yet," Kagome said. Surprised and glad. No telling what he'd have done if he saw me kissing Hiei like that.

As she walked back to the camp with Hiei, Kagome started to feel guilty about what she'd just done. After all, her little brother was in Naraku's clutches somewhere in Makai, and she had been making out with a youkai she'd only known for two and a half weeks, and then laughing like she didn't have a care in the world.

Hiei must have picked up on her somber turn of mood, because his stern voice interrupted her self-inflicted guilt trip.

'You cannot dwell on your sorrow. It will consume you and turn you into a broken shell. If you must dwell on something, let it be your anger. Hone your fury to a fine point, and when the time comes, let it drive you to Naraku's ultimate destruction.'

His words took Kagome by surprise. All of her life, she'd been told to suppress her anger. 'Everybody likes a happy person,' Mama always said, and so Kagome had always been sure to put on a bright face and quash any negative feelings she might have. When she did lose control, the results were often spectacular and memorable, as Inuyasha had been unfortunate enough to find out many times.

I suppose Hiei knows what he's talking about, she mused. After all, he had gone through the horribly painful Jagan implantation and years of planning to undertake his revenge on the Koorime who cast him out at birth. He must have learned a lot about sorrow and anger over the years.

So Kagome straightened her shoulders as she came to a decision. She wouldn't allow herself to turn into a cold killing machine, but neither would she suppress her hatred for Naraku. I will be ruthless. I will show no mercy. I will hunt him down and make him pay for his misdeeds. But allowing herself a little laughter now and then, a little affection toward her friends, would ensure that when she did find her brother, she would still be the same Kagome he'd grown up with.

Miroku was the only one who noticed Kagome's swollen lips and disheveled hair. Inuyasha had picked up on the fact that Kagome was covered in Hiei's scent, but dismissed it because she was wearing his clothes. About two hours into the journey, Miroku finally managed to catch Kagome alone, bringing up the rear of the group.

"Ah, Kagome, did you enjoy your run through the woods this morning?" he asked.

Kagome was puzzled. "Run? What are you talking about?"

Miroku feigned surprise. "Why, when you came back to camp this morning, you were flushed, and your hair was a mess. I thought that perhaps you had taken a morning run."

Kagome blushed, which only confirmed Miroku's suspicions. He grinned. "I take it that your running partner was acceptable, then?"

"We didn't-- I mean, we weren't-- It wasn't a run, Miroku, it was more of a nice walk."

"But of course. I wouldn't expect you to take up running so quickly. Forgive my presumption, Kagome. But I assume that your walk was pleasant, nonetheless?"

"Yes, it was a pleasant walk," Kagome said, grinning sheepishly.

Miroku nodded. "Good. But be careful. Don't let your partner rush you into running before you are ready."

"Don't worry about me, Miroku. I can take care of myself," Kagome said, thinking about the rosary around Hiei's neck.

Miroku inched closer to Kagome, his right hand twitching. "And if you ever need another running partner, I am always ready and willing to--"

"You will remove your hand, human, or I will remove it for you."

Miroku pulled his hand back from its rather comfortable position on Kagome's ass and looked at Hiei with feigned innocence.

"Why, Hiei, I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about. I was just enjoying Kagome's company, and when I stumbled over a rock, my hand slipped, and--"

"See to it that you do not slip again, or rest assured I will make certain that you will never be able to run again."

Miroku gulped at Hiei's veiled threat. He'd groped plenty of women in his lifetime, but he'd never been threatened with that before.

"I assure you, I will be more careful in the future."

"Ch."

'Thanks, Hiei. And please, try not to kill Miroku. It's a compulsion. I don't think he can control it,' Kagome said silently.

'He will learn to.'

Miroku dropped back behind Kagome and Hiei, who were now walking side by side, so they missed the grin that crept onto his face.

Ah, so he is protective of her. Good, good. The threat did bother Miroku a little bit, but all in all, his experiment had been a success.

Of course, getting to grope Kagome was just an added benefit.

*****************************************

The sun was setting by the time the group reached the Bone Eater's Well. Saying goodbye to Kaede was one of the hardest things Kagome had ever done, but the aged miko's parting words had given her hope.

"You are destined for great things, child. You have gathered a group that is strong enough to defeat the hanyou. I have no doubt that you will succeed."

The four rosaries hung loosely from Kagome's wrist. She hoped it would work as well for her friends as it had for Hiei.

"Now, are you all sure you want to go through with this? We'll go straight to Reikai from the shrine, so there won't be time to come back if you change your minds." She looked at each of her friends in turn, but they all nodded.

"Good. Now, I'll take you through two at a time, since you have to be in contact with me. Inuyasha can go by himself, so he'll go first to make sure it's safe. I'll take Miroku and Hiei next, and then I'll come back for Sango, Shippou, and Kirara. All right?"

"Right. Let's get this over with," said Inuyasha. He had a wide grin plastered on his face. He couldn't wait to see somebody else suffer the humiliation he'd been putting up with for the past two and a half years.

Kagome looped the rosaries around each of their necks, and then stood back and murmured the incantation that would activate them. Then she grinned.

"Hentai!"

Sango, Shippou, and Kirara found that they couldn't move, but Miroku wasn't so lucky. He crashed to the ground with an "oomph." Inuyasha smirked at him.

"Oi, woman, why didn't the others work?" he asked.

"They did. They just can't move. Miroku's rosary is the only one that works at full strength," Kagome said.

Inuyasha kicked up an eyebrow at her. "You mean, you could replace mine with one that wouldn't-"

"Not a chance," Kagome said with a grin. "All that crashing to the ground has down wonders for your pain tolerance! And think of all the times it's been useful in a battle, so that I could get you out of the way of danger!"

Inuyasha glared at her. "Once. And that was that stupid frog that you wouldn't let me kill. Hardly a battle."

"Inuyasha..."

"All right, all right, woman! I'll get going!" Inuyasha leapt over the side of the well and disappeared.

"Okay, Miroku, Hiei, are you both ready?" Kagome asked.

Miroku was just getting up off of the ground. "Why, Kagome, I'm not quite sure why you chose that particular word to--"

"Oh, quit your complaining, Miroku. The rosaries are coming off as soon as we get to my era." She saw the gleam in Miroku's eyes as he walked toward her. "Unless you can't keep your hands to yourself before we reach the other side," she added.

Miroku just grinned swung his legs over the well to sit down, holding his hand out to her. Kagome sat down next to him, careful to keep her distance, and Hiei took his place beside her. She grabbed their hands and pushed off, jumping into the well with them. A blue light enveloped them, and when they landed softly on the floor of the well, Miroku looked up to see a roof overhead.

"I guess it worked," Kagome said, breathing a sigh of relief.

"After you, Kagome," said Miroku, indicating the ladder that lead up the side of the well. Kagome regarded him warily.

"I think I'll let you go first, Miroku. I wouldn't want to tempt you, and I'm sure you don't want to keep that rosary any longer than necessary."

Miroku sighed heavily and started to climb the ladder. Kagome followed him, and Hiei just leapt out of the well.

"Is it safe?" Kagome asked when she saw Inuyasha waiting for them.

"Yeah, there's nobody here. Even your stupid cat is gone," he replied. "You should go get the others now."

Kagome nodded and jumped back into the well. When she climbed out of the well in the Sengoku Jidai, Sango, Shippou, and Kirara were waiting for her.

"Did it work?" asked Shippou eagerly.

"Yep! Are you guys ready to go?" Kagome asked.

Sango took one last look around the clearing and took a deep breath. She nodded to Kagome and sat down on the edge of the well. Shippou climbed onto Kagome's shoulders, and Kagome held Kirara in her arms. Sango had a bit of difficulty maneuvering the Hiraikotsu on her back and an armful of scrolls from her village, but soon they were ready to go. Kagome took her hand.

"Here we go!" The two girls pushed off into the well, and when they reached the other side, Sango gasped.

"Wow, Kagome, it worked!" squealed Shippou. He scampered up the ladder, and Sango and Kagome followed him. When they reached the top, Kagome saw that Inuyasha was holding Shippou by the tail.

"You can't just run out there, runt! Somebody could see you!"

Shippou was struggling. "Put me down, dog-breath! I wanna see Kagome's home!"

"Inuyasha is right, Shippou. We need to be careful," admonished Kagome. She reached out and pulled the rosary over Shippou's head before doing likewise with Sango, Miroku, and Kirara.

"So now what?" she asked Hiei. "How do we contact Reikai?"

"No need!"

Everyone turned to the door of the well house at the sound of the cheerful feminine voice. Miroku grinned when he saw the blue-haired girl standing there.

"Allow me to introduce myself," he said, stepping forward, "I am Miroku, a simple traveling monk, and I wonder if you would be so kind as to--" He was cut short by the thump of Hiraikotsu on his head. Botan stared at Sango in confusion.

"Don't ask," Sango growled, and Botan shrugged.

"I'm here to take you guys back. Koenma has been monitoring the well, waiting for your return. If you'll just come with me through the portal," she said, indicating the shimmering oval that was suspended in the air behind her. Sango looked at Kagome warily.

"She's Botan, the ferry girl I told you about. Don't worry, it's perfectly safe," Kagome said, and she stepped through the portal. Miroku shrugged and went after her, and the rest of the group followed.

Inuyasha started growling as soon as he stepped into Koenma's office. "What the hell is he doing here?" he asked, pointing a clawed finger at Sesshoumaru, who stood next to the desk. All of his attention was trained on his hated older brother, so he failed to notice the youkai behind him, and didn't anticipate the blow that was landed to his head.

Kagome gasped when she saw the youkai standing over Inuyasha, shaking his fist.

He growled. "That was for not telling me that my woman was from the future, dog-shit!"

Kagome stared, slack-jawed, at the familiar face.

"K-Kouga?"

*****************************************

Mean while, somewhere in Makai...

He hadn't fought back. No, he knew better than that. He'd been reading between the lines of Kagome's stories for years, and while Mama had taken what she said at face value, Souta knew differently.

Naraku was deadly dangerous, and Souta hadn't stood a chance.

So here he was, shackled in what appeared to be the basement of a very large house. He'd passed out before they had even left the shrine grounds, when Naraku had cut his little finger off. He'd awakened here in the darkness, in pain, without any way of knowing how long he'd been out.

He hadn't seen Naraku since arriving here. No, the only other living being he'd seen was a boy about his age wearing taijiya armor. The boy hadn't said a word, just brought him a stale piece of bread and a small bowl of water, but Souta knew immediately who this was.

Kohaku...

That's when he knew he was in trouble. Naraku was holding him hostage so Kagome would give him her jewel shards; he was sure of it. But he highly doubted that Naraku would spare his life, even if Kagome did turn over her shards.

He couldn't be trusted.

Souta pulled on the collar around his neck, looking for a weakness for what must have been the millionth time. Like every other time he'd tried, the collar wouldn't budge. An eerie red light filtered down through the floorboards overhead, and that worried Souta. Was he in the modern era? The Sengoku Jidai? Or someplace else?

Souta sat back and leaned against the wall, sipping the last of the water from the bowl. Kagome was strong. Her friends were like superheroes. They would come for him, and Naraku would die.

Yes, that's what would happen. Souta was sure of it.

He heard the sound of the trapdoor being opened overhead, and Souta stood up, waiting to see who would come down the steps this time.

The man was wearing a purple robe over a deep violet kimono. His waist-length hair was wavy and black, but his eyes...

His eyes were red.

Souta gasped, and the red eyes narrowed at him. He shook with fear.

Naraku...

"Higurashi Souta," Naraku said in a low voice, "I think it is time we acquainted ourselves with each other."

Edited 17 May 2005