Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Paradox ❯ Kugutsu ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Paradox

by Somnambulicious

Rating: NC-17

Disclaimer:
I don't own either
Inuyasha or YuuYuu;
Somebody else does.

*****************************************

Chapter 15: Kugutsu>

Having spent the entire day sleeping, Kagome found herself in a predicament her mother would call "having your days and nights mixed up." She turned over on her back, trying to find the magical position in the sleeping bag that would allow her to sleep. But sleep remained elusive, and Kagome finally gave up and wormed her way out.

Now...what to do? On nights like this in the Sengoku Jidai, Kagome usually occupied herself with homework until she fell asleep, but she hadn't brought any with her to Makai. Sango had been kind enough to mend her torn clothing, so that was taken care of. Kouga had left earlier that evening to check up on his pack, and Inuyasha and Hiei were mysteriously absent. Kagome blinked as her eyes adjusted to the darkness. For that matter, where was Miroku?

Excited at the prospect of finally having something to do, Kagome tiptoed across the clearing, carefully avoiding the huddled forms of her sleeping companions. She wasn't entirely certain that she was heading in the right direction until she heard the low murmur of voices just ahead of her on the path. She was grateful for the lack of vegetation on the forest floor as she silently crept toward the three figures, ducking behind a tree to remain out of sight. Kagome clamped a hand over her mouth to stifle a gasp when she heard the seriousness in Miroku's voice.

"Entering into any kind of a relationship with Kagome is no simple thing..."

*****************************************

A few minutes earlier...

Once he was certain that everyone was asleep, Miroku rose from his sleeping bag and turned to the tree in which he knew Inuyasha was perched. He nodded silently and walked down the path into the forest. Once the houshi was out of sight, Inuyasha turned his bright golden eyes toward Hiei and tilted his head in Miroku's direction in a silent command: Follow us. Without waiting for the apparition's response, Inuyasha leapt from tree to tree and dropped to the forest floor where Miroku was waiting for him, out of hearing distance of the camp.

Hiei heaved an exasperated sigh. He didn't like being ordered around -- no, not at all -- but he refused to back down from a fight. He had an inkling as to what the two males wanted to discuss, and while he wasn't looking forward to the confrontation, staying where he was would only delay the inevitable and possibly make things worse in the long run. He looked down at Kagome, lying on her stomach in her sleeping bag, and decided that she was worth at least this much trouble. Gearing himself up for what was sure to be an ordeal, Hiei silently followed Inuyasha and Miroku into the forest.

Miroku was leaning casually against a tree, his eyes downcast as he drew lazy circles in the soil with his staff. Inuyasha looked far more impatient, tapping his bare foot on the ground and huffing irritably. He didn't stop until Hiei suddenly appeared in front of him.

"It's about time," Inuyasha snapped.

"Get on with it," said Hiei.

"Fine, I'll get straight to the point. What exactly are your intentions with Kagome?" Inuyasha asked, his hand on Tessaiga's hilt in a not-so-subtle threat.

Hiei remained unperturbed. "I don't think that's any business of yours, hanyou," he said derisively.

Inuyasha growled. "Listen up, shorty, 'cause I'm only going to say this once. Kagome was mine to protect a long time before you came along, and I'm not going to just hand her over to the first male that wants to rut with her. I've been holding off that mangy wolf for two years now because he's not good enough for her. If you think I'm going to make this easy, you're sorely mistaken."

"If that is the case, you should have raised your objections long ago," said Hiei, crossing his arms and leaning casually against a tree.

Inuyasha snorted. "I honestly didn't think it would get this far. But Kagome's a human woman of childbearing age. I guess I underestimated certain needs that she has, if I smelled what I think I smelled when you two came back this morning. So I'm going to ask you one more time: what are your intentions with her?"

Hiei honestly wasn't sure how to answer the question, so he opted for the next best thing. "I don't have to answer to you."

Inuyasha looked like he was about to explode, but at that point, Miroku raised his violet eyes to lock his gaze on Hiei. "Ah, but I'm afraid you do," he said. "Entering into any kind of a relationship with Kagome is no simple thing. At this point in time, I would say that she is the most important person in the three worlds. Only she can lead us to Naraku. Only she can purify the jewel. She is the one who binds together the enemies of Naraku. Without Kagome, we would have no hope of defeating him. So you can understand why we must concern ourselves with such an important aspect of her life."

Hiei refused to back down from Miroku's piercing gaze. "I am well aware of Kagome's obligations, houshi. I neither need nor appreciate the lecture."

Inuyasha straightened himself and nodded with an air of superiority. "Good. Then you know that we can't afford to have her upset over some dumb little lovers' quarrel. We know from experience that she gets so emotional over stupid shit like that. I'll look the other way as long as your little romps in the forest are a good distraction for her. Kami knows she needs it. But the minute you hurt her in any way, shrimp, I'll tear out your spine and shove it down your throat." The hanyou flexed his fingers, the action betraying just how serious he was about defending Kagome with those lethal claws.

That was the last straw for Hiei. He had no desire to stand here and take threats from that idiotic halfbreed. He turned his back on the two males, fully intent on returning to the camp, but he stopped in his tracks when Miroku's deadly calm voice broke the silence.

"And he won't be the only one you have to contend with. You see," Miroku said, emphasizing his words by tapping his staff on the ground as he spoke, "Kagome-sama is a very important person to me, and I am deeply concerned about her welfare. If anything were to happen to upset her in any way, I would be most most displeased."

Now he had Hiei's full attention. The hanyou didn't faze him at all; while the Tessaiga was a weapon to be reckoned with, Hiei was absolutely certain that he could render Inuyasha helpless long before the hanyou ever had a chance to draw the sword. But the houshi, on the other hand...Hiei frowned. Holy powers were always a wild card, and Hiei was entirely certain that the devious houshi had no qualms about fighting dirty.

But still, he refused to back down. Hiei turned and looked Miroku straight in the eye. "I am not concerned with your pleasure, houshi. And as for the girl..." Hiei turned his back to the two males. "Perhaps you would do better to ask her what her intentions are. This so-called relationship will only go as far as she wishes." With that, Hiei disappeared into the trees.

Kagome sunk down against the tree trunk as Miroku practically dragged an indignant Inuyasha back to camp. So-called relationship? What did he mean by that? And why couldn't he just answer their question?

Stupid, stupid, stupid. I don't have time for this. Kagome had more important things to worry about, like rescuing her brother and saving the world. But still, Kagome couldn't stop the nagging questions that plagued her mind. Was she in over her head? Was Hiei just using her? Would he leave once he'd gotten what he wanted from her? Sighing, Kagome drew her knees up to her chest and stared off into space.

That's how Yuusuke found her ten minutes later. He could barely make out the paleness of her face in the darkness. Inuyasha had roused everyone when he'd returned to camp to find Kagome missing and loudly insisted that they all search for her. Yuusuke took one look at the girl huddled at the base of a tree trunk and knew something was bothering her. He heaved a sigh and sat down next to her.

"Something bothering you?" he asked gruffly.

Kagome glanced at the fidgeting man sitting next to her. "No, just the usual," she said wryly. "Overbearing protectors taking over my life, unaffectionate non-boyfriend, trying to stop an evil hanyou from taking over the world...you know, normal stuff."

"Huh. I guess you probably want to talk about it or something."

Kagome patted Yuusuke's arm and grinned slightly. "No, no, that's okay. I won't bother you with my silly little problems." She was about to get up and head back to camp when Yuusuke unexpectedly spoke.

"He's not a bad guy," he said suddenly. "Hiei, I mean. Yeah, he can be bloodthirsty as hell, antisocial, condescending, and hostile. But I trust him with my life. He's got some weird sense of ethics that won't let him cross an ally."

"I know that," Kagome said softly as she absently fingered the collar of her yukata. "But I just don't know what he wants from me."

Yuusuke cocked an eyebrow, regarding the girl sitting next to him. "I don't think he'd put up with being in the presence of a 'foolish human' just for sex, if that's what you're thinking." Kagome blushed, and Yuusuke chuckled. "He's probably just as confused as you are, but I've seen the way he acts around you. You've got to be something special to him. I mean, we're talking about the guy who wanted to turn all humans into a brainless monster army and take over the Ningenkai. Hiei wouldn't let his guard down around a human long enough to get as close as he has to you, not if you didn't mean something to him."

This time, Kagome's smile was bright and genuine. "Thank you, Yuusuke. I really needed to hear that."

"Naw, it's nothing." He gave Kagome a wicked grin. "You know, if I didn't already have Keiko, I might have given Hiei a run for his money."

Kagome laughed. "Yes, Yuusuke, I think you might have." She groaned when she heard a few familiar voices calling out her name. "I guess I'd better get back to camp," she said.

Yuusuke stood and offered her a hand up, which Kagome accepted. He slanted her a sly look. "You want to give Hiei something to growl about?"

Kagome regarded him warily as she fell into step next to him on the path. "I don't know. That depends on what you have in mind."

Yuusuke's lip curled up in a devious grin. "Aw, nothing that the houshi would do. Just a brotherly arm around the shoulders. You know, to keep you safe from all the monsters lurking in the woods."

Kagome laughed. "Hey, my non-boyfriend just happens to be one of those monsters. Actually, now that I think about it, so are you."

Yuusuke's eyes widened in feigned shock. "Me? How could you say something like that? Just because I'm a little rough around the edges--"

Kagome swatted his arm playfully. "A little rough? Come on, my little brother told me stories about you when I happened to mention that you showed up in the dojo. Weren't you the Number One Delinquent and Resident Badass at Sarayashiki Junior High?"

"'Resident Badass?' Wow, I hadn't heard that one before. I guess my reputation has taken on a life of its own since I graduated." Yuusuke was practically beaming.

"You say that like you're proud of it or something," said Kagome, rolling her eyes. They were just entering the clearing where the group had set up camp, and Yuusuke playfully hooked an arm around Kagome's neck and ground his knuckles into her hair, earning an indignant squeal from the girl and a baleful glare from a certain fire apparition.

Kagome quickly ducked under Yuusuke's arm when she heard a growl from overhead. The Tantei gave her a knowing wink before strolling over to his backpack.

'I thought I told you to refrain from physical displays of affection with other males.'

At Hiei's words, Kagome huffed and crossed her arms over her chest. 'Why? Are you going to bother to acknowledge our 'so-called relationship' now? Besides, I didn't do anything. That was all Yuusuke.'

Hiei was surprised at the bitterness in her voice. Then the significance of what she'd said hit him. He silently cursed the ofuda that had allowed her to escape his detection. 'How much did you hear?'

'Enough. And don't even think about lecturing me on spying. It wouldn't mean much coming from you.' Hiei rolled his eyes as he watched the exasperating girl climb back into her sleeping bag. She squeezed her eyes shut, but Hiei could tell that she was far from asleep.

Well, obviously Hiei's earlier question had been answered: the girl wanted more than just a physical relationship with him. Somehow, he wasn't as comforted by the idea as he thought he should be. What did she expect him to do? Proclaim his affections from the mountaintops? Hiei snorted. Highly unlikely. But Kurama's earlier words haunted him: "One such as her needs the constant reassurance and comfort that only an honest lover can offer. If you cannot fulfill that role, then rest assured that someone else will."

Hiei was distracted from his thoughts when the hanyou and the houshi entered the camp. Inuyasha stomped angrily over to Kagome's sleeping bag and yanked it open, startling the young miko. "Oi, wench! What the hell were you thinking, wandering off into the forest like that?"

Kagome opened her mouth to retort, but before she could say a word, Hiei suddenly appeared in front of her, crouched low and blocking her from Inuyasha's view.

"She doesn't answer to you," Hiei said, his eyes narrowing menacingly.

Kagome's mouth dropped open in surprise. I don't? I mean, of course I don't!

"She doesn't?" Inuyasha asked, echoing Kagome's surprise. "Of course she does! She can't just run off into the woods by herself on a whim! If she was attacked, and none of us were there to protect her--"

"Kagome is capable of defending herself against most attackers. She was near the camp the entire time." Hiei glanced back at Kagome's sharp intake of breath; she was surprised to hear him use her actual name out loud.

Yuusuke walked up at this point, munching on a candybar. "I can vouch for that," he said around a mouthful of chocolate. "She was just sittin' next to a tree, well within shouting distance."

"You stay out of this," Inuyasha snapped. "It's none of your damn business."

"Whoa, chill out, dog-boy!" Yuusuke ignored Inuyasha's growl. "What kind of a friend would I be if I just stood by while you treat Kagome like a little kid?"

"I only treat her like a kid when she acts like one!" snapped Inuyasha.

"So what? You gonna follow her into the woods every time she has to piss now?"

"Well, yeah! She's a magnet for trouble, and if she went and lost the shards again--"

"That's ENOUGH!" Inuyasha's ears flattened to his head at the volume of Kagome's voice. She was standing now, her fists clenched and shaking at her sides. "I've had it with all of this! I went into the forest because I was looking for you and Miroku!"

"Feh!" Inuyasha tucked his hands up into his sleeves and crossed his arms. "It's not like we needed your help."

"And neither did I!"

"Hell, woman, you didn't this time, but what if--"

"Some of us are trying to sleep, you know!" Sango yelled from her sleeping bag. Hiei took advantage of the momentary distraction to step between Kagome and Inuyasha again.

"If you're finished with the meaningless drivel, I believe that you and the humans need sleep, hanyou." Hiei's lip curled up in a smirk when Inuyasha growled at the veiled insult.

"You think you can just barge in and take over after a couple of weeks? I've been taking care of Kagome for two and a half years! Just because you can get her to lift her skirt for you doesn't give you the right to--"

"Inuyasha!"

At Kagome's horrified shout, Inuyasha's ears instantly drooped. He was suddenly aware that they had an audience, and that he had, once again, spoken without thinking. "Kagome, I didn't mean--"

"Sit!" Inuyasha crashed to the ground, but didn't utter a word in protest. "Is that what you think of me?" Inuyasha looked up to see tears streaming down Kagome's cheeks.

"Kagome, I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking."

"You just had to go and embarrass me in front of everyone, didn't you?" Kagome whispered. "I thought you knew me better than that."

"I do, I really do." Inuyasha's words were muffled against the ground. "I just worry about you is all."

Kagome glanced back at the group standing behind Inuyasha and felt completely humiliated for the sympathetic looks they were giving her. Kurabara was shaking his head disapprovingly at Inuyasha, mumbling something about 'learning how to treat a woman with respect' under his breath. As much as she hated being embarrassed in front of everyone, having to suffer through their pity was ten times worse. She leaned forward and rested her forehead against Hiei's back. "Take me away from this," she whispered. "I can't stand to see them looking at me like that."

Hiei turned around and hooked his arm around Kagome's waist before leaping soundlessly into a nearby tree. He leaned back against the tree trunk, and Kagome rested her head against his chest.

'Thank you, Hiei. I'm sorry I'm such a bother,' she said.

'Nonsense. It is never a bother to protect what is mine.'

'What is yours?' Kagome asked, turning to look up at Hiei. 'You mean--'

'Don't be ridiculous,' Hiei said, cutting her off. 'Do you honestly think I would go to all this trouble if I didn't want more than just a good fuck?'

Kagome blushed, but decided that she wanted to hear more. 'What do you mean?'

Hiei sighed heavily. He detested being called upon to express his 'feelings.' Silly ningen insecurities. 'I mean just what I say. You are mine, and you will refrain from unnecessary contact with the other males.'

'Okay, okay, I get the point by now,' Kagome said with a giggle. She thought about the implications of what he was saying, and her mood suddenly turned somber. 'You're sure this is what you want? I mean, I'm not the easiest person to be with. I come with a lot of baggage.'

'I am always sure of what I want,' Hiei responded. 'You still doubt my intentions?'

'No. I trust you. It's just that what you said earlier, when you were talking to Inuyasha and Miroku--'

'I refuse to explain myself to the houshi and the hanyou,' Hiei said with a derisive snort. 'This surprises you?'

'Now that I think about it, no, it doesn't. You do know that they're just trying to look out for me, right? While I might not agree with their methods, they do mean well.'

Hiei pulled Kagome tighter against him. 'Their concerns are misplaced. I will not allow any harm to come to you, and they will not take you away from me.'

'Of course not,' Kagome said softly, reaching up to gently stroke Hiei's arm in an instinctive effort to soothe the threat he perceived from her male friends. 'They couldn't take me away if they tried.'

Kagome yawned widely and shifted in Hiei's embrace, shivering slightly in the cool night air. Guess I should've grabbed a blanket, she thought. She was about to ask Hiei to get her one, but he'd apparently already noticed her discomfort, because the air around her suddenly got a whole lot warmer. Hiei let his youki flare up, raising his own body temperature until he was satisfied that Kagome was warm enough. She snuggled deeper against his chest and mumbled a sleepy, "Thank you," before drifting off to sleep.

*****************************************

The morning dawned far too early for the humans, whose sleep schedules had been completely shot to hell over the past few days. Sango mumbled curses under her breath as she stumbled into the forest and out of sight to freshen up and dress for another long day. Miroku was still half-asleep as he prepared breakfast, spilling the first pot of tea into the fire and nearly sending his sweatshirt up in flames on two occasions. Yuusuke, of course, refused to budge until Kirara picked him up by the shirt collar and tossed him halfway across the clearing at Kurabara's request (the firecat had taken quite a liking to the kindhearted man.) Kurabara, strangely enough, was the only human who didn't seem to be suffering from lack of sleep.

Kagome was the only one who got to sleep past dawn that morning, largely due to the fact that everyone carefully avoided getting anywhere near the tree where she was sleeping. Breakfast was long over, and the group was getting restless with no plan for the day and nothing to do, so Yuusuke decided that a game of rock-paper-scissors would decide who got the thankless job of asking Hiei to wake the miko. Kurabara lost, but Kurama volunteered to go in his stead; he wasn't so sure that Hiei's least-favorite member of the team would come out unscathed.

Kurama approached the tree cautiously. "Hiei?" he said hushed tone. "Everyone else is already up and ready to go. It might be a good idea to wake Kagome now."

'She is already waking,' replied Hiei. 'We will be down momentarily. See to it that there is something for her to eat.'

'Well, he seems to be in a better mood this morning,' Kurama thought as he walked back to the campfire and spooned the remaining oatmeal into a bowl for Kagome.

'Last night must have solidified his relationship with the miko,' Youko speculated. 'It's only a matter of time before he makes his claim more public.'

'You think so?' asked Kurama. 'He's moving awfully fast, don't you think?'

'Hiei has always been overly sure of himself,' Youko said with a chuckle. 'He's already got her covered in his scent. If Hiei's willing to put up with the hanyou's insults without killing him, then he must really feel something for the girl.'

'You don't seem to be upset at that anymore,' observed Kurama.

Youko mentally shrugged. 'If casual sex was all he was after, then I might have played the game a bit longer. But if he's looking for a mate, then I won't interfere. We -- and by 'we,' I mean 'you' -- aren't ready for that yet, and it would be beyond disgraceful of me to preempt his first chance at any kind of lasting happiness for nothing more than a quick roll in the sack,' he said decidedly. 'Although it would have been fun.'

'I'm glad you see it that way,' said Kurama. 'You should probably let Hiei know that you don't intend to challenge his claim.'

Youko laughed. 'What, and ruin all my fun? No, I think I'll just wait for him to figure it out for himself.' Kurama rolled his eyes and waited for the miko to come and get her breakfast.

Up in the nearby tree, Kagome groaned as she tried to stretch the kinks out of her back. 'How do you manage to sleep in the trees every night and not end up in knots?'

Hiei was enjoying a great deal of amusement at her expense. 'I only need to hibernate on very rare occasions, when I have exhausted every last ounce of my strength. I do not sleep, as you say. But you had best find a way to get comfortable in the trees, because you'll be sleeping up here with me for the rest of this mission.'

Kagome giggled nervously and blushed at the implications of that statement. 'I know it's a little late to be asking this, but do you think we're moving a bit too fast?'

'Of course not,' Hiei said firmly. 'This is what you want, is it not?'

'Well, yes,' Kagome replied, pulling her yukata tighter around herself in the cool morning breeze.

'You know what you want. Why would you hesitate to take it?'

'Well, where I'm from, humans usually date each other for a while -- months or years, sometimes -- before they become, ah, physically intimate and start sleeping next to each other. A lot of people believe they should wait until they're married to share themselves with another person that way.'

Hiei had to physically restrain himself from laughing out loud at that statement. 'That's not what I've observed during the short amount of time I've been forced to spend in the Ningenkai.'

'Well, that's what we're supposed to do,' Kagome said indignantly. 'You're supposed to get to know each other first.'

'And do you feel you don't know me well enough, even after everything I've showed you?' asked Hiei.

Kagome shook her head. 'I've probably learned more about you in two weeks than I learned about Inuyasha in two years.' She reached up and ran her fingers lightly over Hiei's headband. 'I am rather fond of that odd creature stuck in your forehead.'

Hiei could feel the waves of pleasure radiating off of the Jagan from Kagome's light touch. He slid his hands down her sides and splayed his fingers over her hips, eliciting a sharp gasp from the girl when he pressed down firmly. 'And do you not wish to share yourself with me more intimately?'

Kagome shivered when Hiei nipped lightly at her neck. 'You know that I do,' she said, 'but it just seems to sudden, when I step back and look at everything that's happened between us over the past few weeks. I think Inuyasha and the others will understand eventually, but my family, and my friends back home--'

'--couldn't possibly begin to comprehend what your life is like now,' Hiei finished for her. 'You can no longer live your life by their standards, Kagome. You may be human by birth and blood, but your life has made you like one of us.'

'One of us?' Kagome asked distractedly as Hiei continued to kiss the back of her neck.

'The jewel must have chosen you for a reason. You have a greater destiny than the rest of those brainless idiots that occupy the Ningenkai. To them, you would be a creature of legend and power, and they would fear you if they knew the truth.'

"Like youkai," Kagome whispered out loud. 'My life never will be normal again, will it?'

'We have been over this before,' Hiei reminded her, amusement dancing in his eyes. 'You are meant for greater things than that.'

Kagome reluctantly tried to pull herself from Hiei's embrace, but he tightened his hold around her waist and growled softly. 'It's well past dawn, Hiei,' Kagome admonished him. 'The others are waiting for us.'

'I thought you said you wanted a greater level of intimacy,' Hiei said seductively as he nipped at her earlobe.

"Not right now!" Kagome squealed, twisting herself around to face Hiei. "Everybody's right down there in the camp!" she hissed.

Hiei covered her mouth in an soft, slow kiss, flicking out his tongue to just barely caress her lower lip. Kagome relaxed completely in his embrace. He smirked at her frustrated groan when he pulled out of the kiss. 'I thought you wanted to wait until later,' he teased her.

Kagome stuck her tongue out at him. "I do. But you don't have to make it so hard on me." She 'humphed' at Hiei's mental chuckle and hooked an arm around his neck as he prepared to jump from the tree.

'You don't have to hold on so tight,' Hiei growled at her after they landed softly on the ground. 'I'm not going to drop you.'

'Just taking out a bit of frustration, that's all,' came Kagome's amused reply.

"Oi, sleepyhead! You finally get enough rest?" Yuusuke asked as Kurama handed the girl a bowl of oatmeal.

"I slept quite nicely, thanks." Kagome chose to ignore Yuusuke's suspicious grin and instead focused on not spitting out the mouthful of cold oatmeal. "What are our plans for today? Any ideas about which way we should go?" she asked.

"None at all," Yuusuke said grimly, shaking his head. "You're not getting any tingly feelings about shards, are you?"

Kagome cocked her head to the side, and her eyes unfocused a bit before she turned her attention back to Yuusuke. "No, sorry. I'm not getting anything."

"Damn," said Yuusuke. "At this point, we have absolutely nothing to go on."

"What about Sesshoumaru?" asked Kurabara. "He's supposed to have spies out looking for Naraku, right?" Inuyasha growled at the mention of his despised half-brother, but after last night, he didn't want to risk angering Kagome again, so he refrained from indulging in an tirade against his elder sibling.

"Kouga said Sesshoumaru was supposed to contact us if he heard anything, so I doubt that he knows any more than we do at this point," said Yuusuke. "But right now, heading in Sesshoumaru's direction is probably our best bet. At least that way, we'll hear from him sooner if he does pick up on anything."

"But what about Kouga?" asked Sango. "He still hasn't come back from visiting his pack."

"Hell, if that poor excuse for a canine can't even track us down with his nose, then he's not good enough to fight Naraku with us," said Inuyasha.

"I guess you've got a point there." Everyone turned and stared at Kagome. Sure, they'd all expected her to respond, but certainly not to agree.

"I...I do?"

Kagome giggled at the shocked look on Inuyasha's face. "Well, yeah. If Kouga can't catch up to a group traveling at human speed and not masking their scents, then he's either too slow, his senses are too dull, or he's not motivated enough. I vote that we head toward Sesshoumaru."

"Well, then, it's a plan," Yuusuke said decisively. "We've spent too long in one place as it is. Everybody get your packs. Sango, do you think Kirara would be willing to carry a couple of humans at a time again?"

"You up to it, Kirara?" Sango asked, scratching the firecat's ears. Kirara purred. "I think that's a yes."

Inuyasha broke out of his momentary stupor, finally realizing that insulting Kouga had actually ensured that he'd see his brother sooner rather than later. "Hey, wait! I didn't mean-- Aw, hell." The hanyou reluctantly followed the rest of the group, who were already headed down the forest path and toward Sesshoumaru's lands. At least Kagome had apparently had one of her famous mood swings and didn't want to kill him anymore.

*****************************************

After lunch, it was Sango and Kagome's turn to ride Kirara. Sango couldn't help but notice that Kagome was distracted, fidgeting with her obi, glancing down at a certain fire apparition on the ground below them from time to time. After Kagome had retied her obi for the sixth time, Sango had enough.

"Kagome? Is something bothering you? Do you want to talk?" asked Sango.

Kagome blushed and ducked her head. "I do have some questions about youkai."

"Ah...that's pretty vague. What did you want to know?" Sango actually had a fairly good idea of what Kagome wanted to ask, but she decided to draw out her friend's torture for a bit longer.

"Well-- It's nothing. Never mind."

"Come on, Kagome. I'm training you in the taijiya ways, remember? You need to know everything you can about youkai. I'm always here to answer any questions you might have."

Kagome took a deep breath and blurted out, "What about youkai mating habits?" There. I said it. It's done. Now I just need to pray that none of the youkai can hear this conversation.

Sango made a show of tapping her finger on her chin and looking thoughtful. "Well, it would help if I knew what kind of youkai you were wondering about." She twisted around and broke out into laughter at the hopeless look on Kagome's face. "All right, all right. I'll give you the generalities, and then we can move on to specifics. You'd better remember this, because I'm only going to go through this once. You ready?"

Kagome nodded enthusiastically. "Thanks!"

"Animal youkai generally follow the same patterns as their animal counterparts. You remember how Kouga told you that wolves mate for life?" Kagome rolled her eyes and nodded. It wasn't one of her fondest memories. "That's true of Yourouzoku for the most part. The alpha male of the pack may have several mates, but only the alpha female will go into heat and bear young. The other females are there to help with the pups and for the alpha male's...recreational purposes. But other kinds of youkai are different. Hooved ones, for example, don't form monogamous pairings. The males fight over the females in heat, and the female chooses the strongest male present for each mating."

"Do they formalize their unions, like we do with weddings?" asked Kagome.

"Again, that depends. Youkai of the noble class will usually have a contract outlining the terms of their unions, but lower-class youkai usually don't do anything like that. Remember that for us humans, marriage is done in a religious ceremony."

"And youkai don't have that."

"Correct," said Sango, nodding. "For youkai that do form long-term relationships, mates are usually scent-marked. For example, Inuyasha would know that Ayame was mated to Kouga because she smells of him, and the reverse is true as well. The more frequent the pairings, and the closer the mates are, the stronger the scent and the claim will be."

"So that's what Kouga meant when he said he hadn't 'marked' me yet?"

"Right again." She turned around and gave Kagome a wink. "You're turning out to be quite a bright student."

Kagome blushed. Yeah, only because I have to deal with stuff like this on a daily basis. "But he said he'd be careful not to get me 'pupped.' Didn't you say that only the alpha female wolf bears young?"

"That's still true, but you're human. Your body wouldn't recognize the pack hierarchy the way the wolves' bodies do. You'd still be able to have children." Sango narrowed her eyes and gave Kagome a suspicious look. "Hey, you're not thinking of actually--"

"Eep! Oh, no, no, no! Kouga and I-- No! I was just curious."

Sango laughed. "That's good. You'd have to be subordinate to the first three of Kouga's mates, and I don't think that would suit your temperament. Besides, wolves may say that they mate for life, but with youkai, that's a very, very long time. While mates may be bonded for life, that doesn't stop infidelity from happening, and in packs it happens often. And when a new alpha male rises in the pack, all of the previous alpha's females automatically become his mates, and subordinate to any mates he already has. I doubt that you'd be comfortable with that kind of life."

Kagome shuddered at the thought. "But I thought you said other youkai would recognize scent-marked mates."

"Just because they recognize it doesn't mean that they'll respect it. Youkai can tell a lot of things from the scent mark, and one of those things is the health and physical strength of other youkai. If a male thinks that a female's mate is weaker than he is, he might try to take her for his own. And youkai aren't any more immune to temptation than humans are. Some will be faithful to their mates for life, and others won't. You have to remember that a lifetime will sometimes span centuries for youkai. That's a long time to stick with just one mate. If you want to know anything more detailed or specific about the matings themselves, you'll have to go through the scrolls I brought with me from my village. I left them with Botan back in Reikai."

"That covers animal youkai, but what about others, like elementals?" asked Kagome.

"Again, that depends on the type. You never told me what he was."

Kagome looked down at Hiei, who was now jumping from tree to tree below them. With the distance, and the noise of the wind, he probably couldn't hear her. She leaned forward to whisper in Sango's ear. "I'll tell you, but you have to promise me that you won't tell anyone else. I don't think he'd like it if more people knew."

That piqued Sango's curiosity. What on earth could he be that he wouldn't want anyone to know? she wondered. "I swear I won't tell a soul, and I won't let him know that you told me."

"Okay. His mother was a Koorime, and his father was a fire apparition."

"WHAT?"

"Shh!"

"You've got to be joking! That's impossible!"

"Keep your voice down, Sango!" Kagome hissed. "And it's true. He showed me his memories, and I don't think there's any way he could have been lying to me. Besides, why would he lie about something like that?"

Sango shook her head in disbelief. "The Koorime are all female, and they reproduce completely on their own, without any males. I've never heard of one mating with a male, let alone a fire apparition."

"It makes a lot of things clearer, doesn't it?"

Sango stared down at Hiei's blurred form in the trees below them. "It sure does," she said in an awed whisper. "He shouldn't even be alive. I don't understand how he could survive at all. I guess he's a lot stronger than I thought he was."

"Oh, yes, he's very strong!" Kagome said proudly. Sango broke into a fit of laughter that lasted a good two minutes, much to Kagome's consternation.

"Oh, Kagome, you really are stuck on him, aren't you?" she said, wiping a tear from the corner of her eye. She glanced back and saw the annoyed look on Kagome's face, which of course resulted in another full minute of giggles. "Okay, okay, I'm through now. I swear." Sango paused to collect her thoughts. "A hybrid like him... I can tell by looking at him that fire is the dominant element in his nature. But even then, there are many types of fire youkai. From his personality, and the fact that he seems to be courting you in his own fashion, I'd say that he'd be likely to form a strong, long-term bond and expect strict fidelity from a mate. But I could be completely wrong about that. There's no way of knowing. Was he raised by his father or his mother?"

"Neither," Kagome said sadly. "He was cast out by the Koorime shortly after his birth, and raised by a band of thieves."

Sango sighed. "Well, that doesn't tell us anything more." She turned her head and gave Kagome a stern look. "You'd better be extra careful with him. I know most girls are married by the time they're our age, but you and I have responsibilities that won't allow us to lead a normal life right now. And Hiei is strong and dangerous. I hope you know what you're getting into."

Kagome really didn't want to be lectured about her choice of boyfriend again, so she decided to steer the topic in a different direction. "I've noticed that you aren't like the other girls I've met in the Sengoku Jidai. Most of them are a lot more experienced with boys, and they don't react so badly when Miroku gropes them."

"I was raised differently," Sango said with a shrug. "It differs from village to village. While most village girls are raised to be wives and mothers, I was trained as a warrior from the time I could stand. I guess it gives me a different outlook on life from the other girls. While they might find Miroku's attentions flattering, I think it's insulting. I'm more than just a vessel to bear children or please a man. If he wants to win me over, he's got to recognize that."

"I think he really does," said Kagome. "You've got to consider how he was raised, too. Mushin isn't exactly the perfect male role model."

"You've got that right," Sango said dryly.

"I don't think he knows any other way to express his affection. Besides, bearing children and pleasing men isn't the only reason people are intimate with each other. It can be nice for the woman too, and sharing yourself with someone physically can bring you closer in your relationship."

Sango stiffened. "I know that," she snapped. "I just--" She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "I just don't want to deal with it until after Naraku is gone and Kohaku finds some semblance of peace, whatever that may be," she said softly. "I can't even begin to start thinking about a new family right now, and if I gave myself to Miroku that way, that's definitely what it would be: a new family."

And you still have to take care of the old one, Kagome thought sympathetically. "It's okay. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I just want you to be happy, to look out for yourself and plan for your life after all of this is over."

"I'll make you a deal, then," Sango said with a smile. "I'll do some thinking about what I want to do after Naraku is dead, and you promise me that you'll be careful with Hiei. You've got to look out for yourself, too, since you don't seem to keen on anybody else doing it for you."

"I am being careful," Kagome said insistently. "You don't have to worry about me."

"Well, if it's all the same to you, I'm going to worry anyway. My father would probably flay me alive if he knew I wasn't telling the last of the taijiya apprentices to break it off completely with her youkai lover. But against my better judgement, I won't tell you that. However, the moment he hurts or betrays you...let's just say that Hiraikotsu may be my most effective weapon, but I've got a nice, dull knife and a very slow-working poison that I reserve for special cases like that."

Kagome shivered at the evil glint in Sango's eye. "Remind me never to get on your bad side."

"Don't get on my bad side."

"I'll try not to, believe me."

"As long as we're on the subject of youkai, I think it's time we had that little quiz I've been talking about," said Sango. Kagome groaned, wishing she'd never explained to Sango what a test was. "We'll start with the life cycles of the more common parasitic youkai."

"Fine, fine," Kagome grumbled. "Mindworm eggs are ingested when something eats the uncooked meat of an infected host..." Kagome dully recited the facts, with Sango interrupting her or asking for more information until Yuusuke shouted that it was time to stop for the evening. Little quiz my ass, Kagome thought as she dismounted from Kirara. Sango's far more demanding than any teacher I've ever had.

*****************************************

Late in the afternoon, the group had left the protective cover of the forest when they came to a flat, grassy plain. Yuusuke had chosen to camp for the night in a low-lying dry gully and refused to let anyone start a fire, with the hope of remaining unseen by passing youkai. The evening's 'feast' consisted of trail mix, cold soup, and canned tea (which Kurama adamantly refused to drink.)

Inuyasha and Hiei were equally upset about the lack of trees in which to sit, but Inuyasha was the only one to grumble loudly about it until Miroku told him to shut up or risk having his mouth sealed shut. Kagome was secretly glad for the lack of firelight that evening when Hiei insisted that she sleep in his lap yet again. At least most of our group can't see me, she thought. But she snuggled into Hiei's warm embrace, grateful for her very own personal youkai space heater on the dark, chilly night, and secretly thrilling to the thought that sleeping next to him again would cover her with his scent.

A low, rumbling growl in Hiei's chest woke Kagome up well after midnight. She awoke with a gasp, but quickly stilled when Hiei clamped a hand over her mouth. 'Something is coming,' he warned her.

In the pale moonlight, Kagome could barely make out the figures of her friends, all standing with weapons in hand and staring at the southern lip of the gully.

Thump.

Thump.

Thump.

Whatever it was, it was slowly coming closer.

'Why are we just waiting for it?' she asked Hiei.

'This one is weak and alone,' he replied, 'but leaving the protection of the gully for even a short fight might attract unwanted attention from stronger youkai.'

Thump.

Kagome stood and silently drew her blade, standing at ready for the youkai that was just about to drop into sight.

Thump.

Everyone visibly tensed when they realized the sound was coming from just over the edge of the gully.

THUMP.

The youkai landed in the middle of their camp...and Yuusuke and Kurabara both collapsed in a fit of laughter.

"That's-- That's--" Yuusuke gasped for breath and completely failed to finish whatever he was going to say.

"A KARAKASA KOUSO!" Kurabara yelled before he was overcome by laughter yet again.

Sure enough, that's exactly what the youkai was. Kagome stared, dumbfounded, at what looked like a large, folded paper umbrella with one giant foot, a single eye, and a tongue that was at least half a meter long.

Not sensing any immediate threat from the strange-looking youkai, Inuyasha lowered the Tessaiga and glared at Yuusuke and Kurabara. "What the hell is wrong with them?"

"Apparently they are amused to see a karakasa kouso," said Kurama. "It's an apparition originally from Chinese folklore, but we had no idea that any actually existed. In the stories, they are generally more disturbing than harmful."

"Hey, Kurabara, did you bring a camera? I want to get my picture with it!" Yuusuke yelled, prompting even more howls of laughter.

Kagome frowned. "Guys, I think there's something off about that youkai..." She couldn't be sure, but to her, it looked like there was a pattern of spiderwebs on the umbrella.

The karakasa kouso suddenly popped open, and Inuyasha snarled as he finally caught the scent of it. "It's a detachment from Naraku!" he yelled. Everybody wisely jumped back as he raised Tessaiga over his head and yelled, "Kaze no--"

The umbrella snapped shut, and before Inuyasha could strike, a cloud of black gas rushed out from it and filled the gully. "Shouki!" screamed Kagome. "Everyone get to higher ground now!" She started to scramble up the wall of the gully, but stopped when she realized she couldn't hear anybody following her. Kagome turned around and stumbled through the darkness, desperate to find her friends. "Guys, where are you?" she shouted, but the only reply she could hear was the rush of air as the karakasa kouso continued to pump shouki into the windless gully.

Kagome coughed, but the shouki didn't have the same effect on her as it did on everyone else. Her body naturally purified the poison as quickly as it entered her system. She let out a short scream when she suddenly tripped over something lying in her path, and Kagome couldn't believe her good luck when she realized what it was. My bow and quiver... Quickly nocking an arrow, Kagome aimed blindly in the youkai's direction and prayed that she wouldn't accidentally purify one of her friends.

The blue fire of the hamaya cut a blazing path through the blackness, and while the first arrow missed, it purified enough of the shouki for Kagome to get a decent sight on her target. One more time...hit the mark! The sharp twang of the bowstring resounded throughout the gully, and this time the arrow flew true to its mark. By the time the flames of the hamaya faded, nothing was left of the lowly youkai but a small pile of ashes.

Kagome didn't have time to congratulate herself. While her hamaya had cleared up some of the shouki, enough remained in the clearing to pose a threat to her friends. I've got to get them to higher ground, she thought frantically. Any more time here and they could die! She kneeled next to the nearest body she could see, which happened to be Sango, and lifted her friend over one shoulder. She grabbed Kirara by the scruff of her neck and staggered to her feet, determined not to lose a single one of her friends tonight. Wandering toward the north side of the gully, Kagome found a lightly sloping path up to the grassy plain. She quickly deposited Sango and Kirara a few meters away from the gully and turned right back around to retrieve the rest of the group.

Kagome could only carry one person at a time, and even that was almost too much for her. She didn't bother to think about which of her friends she got out of that poisoned air first; she just grabbed whoever she happened to come across first and either dragged or carried them up to safety. Kagome lost count of the number of times she stumbled under the weight of one of her unconscious companions. By the time she found Hiei -- the last of the group left in the gully -- her knees were completely raw and bloody, and she had a long gash on her hip from where she'd fallen on a sharp rock.

Kagome unceremoniously dumped Hiei onto the grass before she collapsed flat on her back. You're not finished yet, Kagome, she told herself as she struggled to catch her breath. You've still got to protect them until you can get help. She struggled to sit up and dragged her bow and arrows into her lap. You can't let them down now. It's your turn to protect them now. Kagome was relieved to see that each of her friends was still breathing, although they all remained unconscious. Maybe my luck really is changing for the better, she thought hopefully.

Unfortunately, she soon found out how wrong she was.

Kagome had absolutely no warning when the familiar white-shrouded figure suddenly appeared out of nowhere, looming over her like an angel of death. He laughed as she scrambled shakily to her feet, brandishing an arrow at him.

"Tsk, tsk, my little miko. It appears that your new friends are of no more use than the old ones. What a shame. I had hoped for a better challenge this time."

"Shut up, Naraku! I'll purify your stupid puppet before you can lay a hand on any of them!" Kagome nocked an arrow, but before she could draw back the bow, the kugutsu suddenly erupted in a mass of tentacles, sending Kagome flying backwards before she hit the ground a few meters away.

Kagome shook herself out of a daze and rose to her feet, gasping when she saw that the kugutsu had a sharp-tipped tentacle hovering over each of her friends' chests. "It's not my hands you have to worry about, little miko."

"Stop with the games. What do you want?" Kagome asked, mentally calculating how long it would take to retrieve her bow and arrows and fire off a shot. Too long.

"What strange company you attract. A majin, a complete idiot of a human, a thieving kitsune, and the famed Forbidden Child of the Koorime. I knew you had odd taste in companions, but really, two convicted felons? Your miko ancestors must be rolling over in their graves. It gives me hope for you after all."

"Cut the crap, Naraku," Kagome spat. "What are you doing here?"

"How delightful," Naraku said, chuckling darkly. "It appears from your language that they're rubbing off on you." A single brown tentacle snaked its way up to Kagome's face, lightly caressing her cheek. Kagome flinched back, but refused to back down. "It's been so very long, my little miko. I do so wish that I didn't have to delay our real meeting any longer, but I am very much enjoying the company of your younger brother. I simply had to make certain that your ragtag little group didn't accidentally stumble across my castle before I tire of him."

"Then you've got what you want, you bastard! Leave!"

Naraku completely ignored Kagome's outburst. "I find your choice of lovers to be most amusing. Surely you could find a more suitable partner than a hybrid with an artificial eye. I must admit I'm surprised that you find the most malevolent of your companions to be the most attractive." The tentacle slid down to Kagome's waist and wrapped around her hips, pulling her closer to the kugutsu. "Tell me, little miko, does the sight of blood on his sword arouse you? Does your need for him increase every time you see him extinguish another life with his own hands?"

"Shut up!"

The tentacles retracted back into the kugutsu, all except for the one hovering over the unconscious fire apparition and the one wrapped around Kagome's hips. "Such protest! Perhaps I would be doing you a favor if I ended his life altogether."

"I am not ashamed of Hiei!" Kagome screamed. "If you touch him, I swear I'll purify you until there's nothing left to reincarnate!"

"Now, how could I refuse a challenge like that?" Faster than Kagome's eyes could follow, the tentacle suddenly plunged down through Hiei's chest, pinning him to the ground below. Kagome watched in horror as his eyes flew open, and a sickening gurgling sound escaped from his throat before his eyes glazed over, and his head lolled to the side.

"You bastard!" Kagome flailed wildly at the tentacle holding her in place, which responded by retreating back to the baboon pelt. She snatched up her bow and an arrow and took aim. "I'll kill you!"

"Consider this but a taste of what our next meeting will be like. I'll be sure to--" Naraku's voice was cut off when the hamaya pierced the wooden figure hidden inside the kugutsu, and the puppet disintegrated.

Kagome rushed to Hiei's side and dropped to her knees, clutching his head to her chest and desperately searching for the slightest signs of life. "Please don't die, please don't die," she whispered over and over, running her fingers through his hair, even as she knew, deep down, that all hope was lost.

Hiei was dead.

*****************************************

Kagome had no idea how long she knelt there on the western plains of Makai, sobbing over the body of her dead would-be lover. In the back of her mind, she knew that her other friends probably needed medical attention of some kind, and a protected place to recover, but the miko just couldn't gather up the will to set Hiei down on the cold ground and figure out a way to get help. In her mind, letting go of him physically would mean admitting that he was out of her reach, and she just couldn't handle that.

The first fingers of sunlight stretched across the sky as dawn broke, but Kagome paid it no mind. She curled herself around her own grief, unable to pull herself out until a shadow suddenly fell across her, blocking the warm sunlight from her face. She raised her clouded eyes to find yet another white-clad youkai standing over her.

"Miko," he said, his nose twitching almost imperceptibly in disgust, "what is the meaning of this?"

"Sess... Sesshouomaru?" Somehow, Kagome's grief-hazed mind registered that there was something important about this particular youkai showing up... What was it? If only she could remember...

"My patience is short. Explain the presence of Naraku's shouki in this area at once." He'd picked up on the stench of it all the way back at his estate and immediately tracked it back to its source.

"N-Naraku?" Oh, yes, that's what had happened. "There was a detachment that brought the shouki, and everybody else passed out, so I dragged them up here. Then a kugutsu came, and he-- And he--" Kagome's breath hitched in her throat, and she couldn't find the words to continue.

"And the detachment? Where is it now?" Sesshoumaru demanded impatiently.

"I killed it," she said. Sesshoumaru raised an impeccable eyebrow at her. "I did!" she insisted angrily. "I shot it with my hamaya, and I shot the kugutsu too! I couldn't use my sword because--" Kagome gasped as it hit her. The sword! She scrambled forward and dropped to her knees in front of the perplexed taiyoukai, bowing so low that her nose touched the ground. "The Tenseiga, please, Sesshoumaru-sama, would you use it on Hiei?" she pleaded desperately.

Sesshoumaru's first instinct was to decline her pathetic plea and go back to his home, but the Tenseiga was pulsing insistently at his side. Still, he ignored it and asked, "What reason would this Sesshoumaru have to do such a thing? His pathetic life is no concern of mine."

"Please, Sesshoumaru-sama! I'll do anything! I can purify youkai, I can use healing herbs, I can bring you things from Ningenkai that you can't get here! I'll find a way for you to get back to Ningenkai, if you want! I'll give you anything you want, just please bring him back!"

Sesshoumaru sneered at the pitiful human groveling at his feet. "I have no desire for any of those things. You have nothing to offer this Sesshoumaru." He started to turn away, but then an idea occurred to him. "Perhaps... What would you do if I demanded the jewel? The Shikon no Tama, in return for your lover's life?"

Kagome's heart was screaming at her for her to say yes, to offer up anything at all if it would ease the pain she felt at the staggering loss, but she knew that the jewel was the one thing she could not give. "I can't give that to you," she said. "Even if I could offer it up after Naraku's defeat, that is the one thing I cannot give you. Anything else. Anything at all."

"You want the power for yourself, then," Sesshoumaru said, about to turn away once more.

"You don't understand at all, do you?" Kagome asked with a bitter laugh. "The Shikon no Tama is something that I'd gladly rid myself of completely if I could, but I'm cursed to be its bearer as long as I live. That is my fate, and I can't back down from that responsibility. Kikyou tried to, and look what happened to her."

Sesshoumaru was intrigued. He had no real desire to possess the jewel for himself, but he'd been curious to see how she would react to such a request. Interesting... The miko says she will give anything in return for this youkai's life, and yet she will not part with the very thing that has cursed her life. He knew exactly who Hiei was; Sesshoumaru prided himself on always knowing exactly who he dealt with. But this human girl was becoming more and more of an enigma to him. She dressed as a taijiya and called herself a miko, but she had chosen a hybrid youkai, famous throughout Makai as a cold-blooded killer, as a lover. There was no mistaking the fire apparition's distinctive scent all over her.

"Perhaps there is something else you could offer me," Sesshoumaru said, forming a plan in his mind. Yes, yes. Perhaps this will make up for all the annoyance that ridiculous half-brother has caused me.

"Anything. Anything at all," Kagome said quickly.

"When the jewel is complete and Naraku has been annihilated, you are to accompany me back to my palace."

Kagome blinked, confused. "For how long?"

"For the rest of your life."

"You mean... You mean you want me to..."

"You will rid yourself now of any absurd notions you may harbor about becoming this Sesshoumaru's concubine. I do not suffer from the same weakness that plagues my pathetic half-brother or that abomination who seems to have captured your affections."

"Then why?" Kagome asked, her brow wrinkling in confusion. "Why would you want some silly ningen girl to live with you?"

Sesshoumaru snorted. "You flatter yourself with your poor choice of words. You will not be 'living with' me." He narrowed his eyes, tilting his head to the side to regard the strange girl. "You are most likely the last of the miko. Your bloodlines died out long ago, when there was no longer any need in Ningenkai for the ability to purify. How appropriate it will be for me to have the last of the miko, the guardian of the fabled Shikon no Tama no less, as a pet in my court."

"A...a pet?"

"I grow weary of your incessant questioning. Yes, a pet," he said, deciding that he thoroughly enjoyed the way that term sounded. "You will reside in this Sesshoumaru's palace, remaining in your quarters unless you are called upon to entertain guests. Your life for the hybrid's. That is the deal. Decide now, or I shall take my leave of your annoying presence."

Kagome didn't hesitate to answer. "I'll do it," she said firmly. My family will get on fine without me, probably better. Sango has Miroku, and Inuyasha's probably going to hell with Kikyou anyway. I have to do this for Hiei. I couldn't bear for him to die because of me.

Sesshoumaru nodded and stepped forward, drawing Tenseiga. The sword pulsed in his hand, and he could see the soul gatherers huddled around the dead youkai's body, chittering to each other as they wrapped their chains around his soul. He sliced through all three of them cleanly and easily, wincing as their dying shrieks assaulted his sensitive ears.

Kagome scurried back to Hiei's side and laid her hand on his chest. She could feel the flesh begin to knit itself together, and when his chest rose under her palm with his first breath, she cried out in joy. "Thank you so much, Sesshoumaru-sama!"

"You will keep your end of the bargain, or you forfeit his life to me. That is the deal."

"Yes, yes, of course," said Kagome dismissively, delighting in the feel of Hiei's pulse under her fingers. Thank the kami... Sesshoumaru turned to leave, having finished all of his business in this place, but Kagome whirled around to face him. "Hey, where are you going? What am I going to do with my friends? They're vulnerable right now!"

Sesshoumaru sighed in exasperation. "Unless I am mistaken, the majin has a method of communicating with his employer." With that curt statement, Sesshoumaru took his regal leave of the overjoyed miko and her unconscious companions.

Kagome fumbled nervously through Yuusuke's pockets, certain that at any moment, he would wake up and make some snide comment about her molesting him in his sleep. She breathed a sigh of relief when she finally found the communication mirror and flipped it open with shaky hands. The mirror automatically turned itself on, and in seconds, Botan's cheery face stared back at Kagome from the communicator.

"Hello, hello, Yuusuke! Have you finally found-- Kagome? What are you doing with Yuusuke's mirror? It's not a makeup compact, you know," Botan said, waggling a finger at the exasperated girl.

"I know that!" Kagome snapped. "I need you to--"

"Well, aren't you just a ripe berry on the grumpy tree today?" Botan huffed.

"Shut up and listen to me! We came under attack last night, and everybody else is out cold! They need medical treatment! You've got to open a portal for me back to Reikai, and you've got to do it now!

"All right! All right! Sheesh! Don't get your panties in a--" Kagome flicked the mirror shut, cutting off the rest of Botan's complaint.

"--Knot!" Kagome whirled around to see the ferry girl with her hands on her hips, standing in front of an open portal. Botan's mouth dropped open when she saw the rest of the group lying unconscious on the ground. "Oh, goodness, Kagome! I'm so sorry! I thought you were exaggerating!"

"Just help me get them through the portal, and all is forgiven," said Kagome as she hefted Hiei over her shoulder. She was about to step through the portal when Botan's horrified gasp stopped her in her tracks. "What is it now?" she asked, turning around.

Botan was staring in horror at the spot where Hiei had been lying. She could see the messengers of death, or rather what remained of them, scattered about on the ground. "Kagome," she breathed, "what did you do?"

Kagome sighed and resigned herself to telling Botan the truth. "It wasn't me. Sesshoumaru brought him back for me."

Botan turned to her with wide eyes. "What on earth made him do such a thing? He hasn't used Tenseiga for centuries!"

"I made a deal with him, and that's all you need to know. Don't let anybody know about this. It's better if they don't find out." Leaving Botan to gather her wits about herself, Kagome carried Hiei through the portal, depositing him on the floor of Koenma's office without a word, and then returned through the portal to help retrieve the rest of her friends.

By the time Koenma figured out what was going on and ordered a few of the office personnel to assist them, Kagome and Botan had already dragged the rest of the group through the portal. Kagome refused to talk to Koenma until her friends were all laid out on futons and Reikai's healers had done their best to ensure that all of them would live.

"Now, then," Koenma said, staring intently at the girl who still refused to leave Hiei's side, "tell me what happened."

Kagome wearily told him everything that had happened from the appearance of the karakasa kouso to the confrontation with Naraku's kugutsu, leaving out any mention of Hiei's death or her deal with Sesshoumaru. Koenma, however, wasn't one to be so easily fooled.

"You aren't telling me everything," he accused. "You're leaving out something quite important. What is it?"

"I've told you everything you need to know," Kagome said with an irritated scowl. "If you'll excuse me, Koenma-sama, I'm going to cleanse myself and then I really need to sleep." Understanding that he wouldn't get anything more out of the miko, Koenma nodded and waited until she left the room before turning to Botan, who was trying to sneak out the door unnoticed.

"Botan, tell me what's going on. You know what she isn't telling me."

Botan sighed and weighed her options. Which is worse? Kagome's wrath, or Koenma's? Her shoulders slumped as she came to a decision. Better the devil you know, as they say.

"You promise not to tell her that I told you?" she asked.

"Absolutely not! You're my employee! You're in no position to make demands of me. Now tell me what happened that she doesn't want me to know about."

Botan groaned. She is so going to kill me for this.

Edited 17 May 2005