InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Return To A New Life ❯ The Welcoming Committee ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N- First off I will say this once again, Disclaimer- I do not own, have never owned, and will never own InuYasha or Yu Yu Hakusho.
Next, I would like to apologize again for the wait, it is, I promise you once again, very unlike me to take so long. I'm getting over a second surgery and have finals coming up, oh the joy of high school. But though that may be true, as soon as summer is here I plan on updating every week. With that said please bear with me for these next two weeks.
Okay, I also want to clear something up. I know that Kurama does not go to school with Yusuke. By red head I meant carrot-top, or Kazuma Kuwabara. Now then, on to the story.
 
thoughts
 
Chapter Two
 
The Welcoming Committee
 
 
Recap: “Thank you Miss Higurashi, please take the empty seat in front of Urameshi, would you?”
Urameshi, as in the supposed `punk' that saved a kid? That Urameshi? Wow, take a look at his energy levels and that carrot-top's, this will be an interesting year.
 
I took my seat behind Urameshi, Even for a punk that's quite the hair gel. Such energy coming from these two humans, I'd love to rub this in Seshoumaru's face. Maybe I will if I see him again.
“Day dreaming already Ms. Higurashi?” the teacher called out to me sneering. “Why don't you read the class this next passage? Go ahead. Stand up please.”
Did I mention how much I severely dislike school?
 
-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------
 
First day and the new girl's already on the teach's bad side. She seems to know this stuff alright, it must just be all those missed days she was talkin' about.
I soon decided that class today was just as boring as every other day so I started to stare out the window instead of at the board. What's the use any way? I always manage to pass somehow. Kinda.
Okay, that can't just be me. I feel like somebody's watchin' me. Wish I had eyes in the back of my head like the old hag, no wonder she keeps `em, they must come in handy in times like this.
The bell rang. Freedom, better head up to the roof for lunch. I stood up and scanned the room. No sign of the new girl, Keiko's probably showin' her around. No sign of Kuwabara either, he must've headed up to the roof without me.
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------
I must say I've grown fond of my solitary time. Must be all the time I spent with Seshoumaru, he must have rubbed off on me after all. Being in that classroom with all of those humans, it makes me feel crowded, stuffed. I hate that feeling.
I found myself standing on the roof, how interesting. New school, same lunch spot, only this time Inuyasha isn't coming.
Looking at the school campus below I saw huddles of friends and high school couples. It made me realize that I wasn't hungry, my bento would lay untouched again.
The handle of the door opened and I whipped around, dropping into a fighting stance purely do to instinct. It was the carrot-top from my class with two bento boxes in his hand, he hadn't noticed me yet. I took the chance to return to a normal pose when the door to open again and for Urameshi to storm through yelling at “Kuwabara” for not waiting for him. The two began an argument that reminded me of Inuyasha and Koga, but these two couldn't be anything like them. How silly of me to consider it.
I found myself laughing at a picture of the wolf prince and Inuyasha in school uniforms. I wonder if Sesshoumaru would be the teacher? Now that would be entertaining.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------
 
Damn him for not waiting, Kuwabara had my lunch. The big lug couldn't even leave it on my desk he brought it with him. And as if the world is against me Keiko caught me in the hall and accused me of scaring away the new kid. It ain't my fault if they can't keep track of her. I'm not a babysitter.
Laughter? Who the heck is laughing? Stupid girls think everything is funny. Wait girl? It's the new girl. Why's she here?
“What d'ya think is so funny? You go and run up here at the bell and I get attacked by people tellin' me I scared ya away.” I grumbled. I guess she was pretty, for a good girl, not as good lookin' as Keiko.
She laughed. I didn't say anything funny, what's she laughin' at? I asked her, “What're ya laughin' at new girl.?”
She snapped to attention at that. “The name is Kagome, Kagome Higurashi. I was just thinking. Normally the welcoming committee greets the new student. Is it a custom at this school for the class to instead terrorize someone other than the poor innocent new student?”
Kuwabara thought that was funny. He's sittin' there laughing his big head off, well good for him. I thought things were goin' good when Kuwabara decided to open his mouth. “Not just anyone, they only torment Urameshi.”
“Really, well what do you know, someone else with my luck. Nice to meet you Urameshi, Yusuke right?”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------
 
Genkai's training must be intense from the strength of her, she speaks of Yusuke fondly enough, as if he were her son. I must admit that I was horribly disappointed to realize that Genkai's temple had almost, if not just as many stairs as my family's shrine. It's nice to speak to someone as wise as Lady Genkai. Turns out I'm the last true miko, those around today lack the strength or will to tap into their powers. It seems like the only thing left like my abilities is Spirit Energy.
I had a few days of training to be able to access mine, but it doesn't compare to my purification abilities. Let's put it this way, one of my arrows from the beginning of my time in the Feudal Era would turn a high B class apparation into dust, well I suppose it would technically be considered ashes. Sesshoumaru has taught me to channel my power through different substances and sources other than my body as well as molding it into my own weapon. I've become rather attached to Sesshoumaru's technique of turning his claws into a whip and I've come to do much the same with my energy centered at my fingertips.
One thing at Genkai's temple that I've become terribly fond of isn't really a thing but a person, Yukina, an ice maiden. The poor girl is searching for her brother who is a strong martial artist, if he's related to Yukina in any way he must be something. Yukina is so very sweet, it makes me wonder about her brother. As soon as this is over I suppose I'll help her find him, I've really become quite curious about it.
Anyway, visiting Yukina, that's what brought me to once again walk towards Genkai's temple when I sensed a low class demon. Naturally I ran towards the source. When I was within hearing range I could have sworn that I heard Shippo's scream, but that couldn't be true, I left him in the feudal era with Kaede until I could fetch him. Even knowing this, something told me it was Shippo that was screaming. I ran faster.
When I arrived I saw a large boar demon standing on two legs toss my kit into the air and move to attack him and four boys. It was my Shippo, I jumped into the attack, grabbed my kit, wrapped him in my arms and fell into a shoulder roll that I used to regain my balance. My energy soared, No one touches my kit.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------
 
We were headed are separate ways on the way home after a mission when we sensed a demon in the area. As we approached it we heard screams that appeared to be coming from the little demon in this boar's hand. The young boy seemed to be a… kitsune kit. I chanced a glance at Kurama. Guess he's already taken this one personal.
“Urameshi, just who I was hoping to run into. I was just explaining to this kit what happens when a demon takes a human mother. Your friend knows all about that right? Would he explain?”
I yelled at the guy to shut his pie-hole and give us the kid. That probably wasn't my brightest idea, or best bet.
The demon laughed, “Okay, I'll demonstrate it myself.” This boar threw the kid into the air and went to strike at him and us when something flew into the path of the attack, grabbing the kid and taking the brunt of the attack.
Whoever grabbed the kid fell into a roll and stood up. It was a…. girl. Kagome? That new girl from school. What is she doing?
 
-------------------------------------------------------------- -------------
 
Standing up I checked Shippo over. “Are you okay?” He nodded clinging to my uniform in attempt to hide the fact that he was shaking. “Here honey,” I motioned him to the ground “I'll be right back, so stay here.” I put him down.
Turning my glare onto the boar demon that upset my kit I smiled, “Care to explain?” I let a little bit of my energy flow from my body.
Thinking he had a chance against me the demon moved forward grinning form ear to ear and drooling all over itself. “Yes. Now I have a game to play, and such a delightful toy as my present for winning. But first I will illustrate to that fox what it means to accept a human mother.”
Oh, so that's it is it? I laughed. “And exactly how are you going to manage to show that to my kit without your head?” I slowly willed a whip of my purification powers to stream from my index and middle fingers.
“ Oh, so the brat belongs to you? I'll teach you a lesson to you wench. And you couldn't take off my head if you wanted to, you're...”
He never finished his sentence. I snapped my wrist and skillfully silenced him as his head rolled of his shoulders and his body turned to a pile of ashes on the ground. “No one messes with Shippo. How low can you get attacking a child?”
“Momma!” I turned in time to catch the young kit that was flying at me in my arms laughing as I did.
I forced myself to become stern. “What are you doing here Shippo? You're supposed to be with Lady Kaede, not running around on your own.”
“I wanted to see you momma?” he tried with his best puppy eyes. I considered giving in, but if he was ever going to learn.
“No Shippo. You know that Kaede must be more than ready to have a heart attack by now.”
“I'm sorry momma.” Shippo apologized sincerely, his head bowed.
“Pardon me Miss, I hate to bother you, but…” I snapped to attention, turning around. There was Yusuke Urameshi, Kazuma Kuwabara, a shorter dark boy with spiked black hair, and the boy who had spoken, a fairly attractive red head with startling emerald eyes.
“Onna, what did you think you were doing?” the dark one demanded. Oh, well isn't that lovely.
I admit he made me angry. “Ka-go-me, Kagome. I have a name, and that's it so use it. Kagome Higurashi.”
Each of them gave me a different look so I continued, “Hey Urameshi. Looks like I finally got that welcoming committee doesn't it?”
The red head was watching Shippo, so I turned to him. “I'm Kagome Higurashi, and you are?”
_______________________________________________
 
A/N: Well that's it. Once again sorry for the wait. So, what did you think?