InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Stretched Out on Your Grave ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DancingAngels
Disclaimer: I own neither Inuyasha nor Yu Yu Hakusho. The characters and original stories belong to Rumiko Takahashi and Yoshihiro Togashi. This story is also loosely based on the song “I Am Stretched Out on Your Grave” by Kate Rusby which I also do not own.
I Am Stretched Out on Your Grave
Chapter One
***
“Come on Urameshi, just look at it. Isn't it absolutely adorable?” Kuwabara was trying to shove a photograph of some small feline in front of Yuuske's face.
 
Yusuke, however, didn't particularly care. “Yeah. Adorable. Whatever.” The detective said without even glancing at the picture.
 
“You didn't even look,” the big man complained.
 
As Kuwabara continued to preen over the photo, Hiei contemplated killing him. The act itself would be simple, almost boring. The real challenge would be how to get away with it. Hiei was sure that the godling would not over look such a transgression. Maybe he could--But then Hiei's homicidal musings were interrupted when he sensed the youki of the demon they were tracking. Without a word, Hiei simply altered his course to follow their quarry, leaving it to the others to follow him.
 
Koenma had called them all to his office earlier that day to give the detectives a new assignment. There had been a breech in the barrier that separated the demon realm from that of the humans. The demi-god had warned them to be careful. He could find no information on this particular demon, and this worried him. Regardless of what it was, however; the demon was big and needed to be taken out of Ningenkai before it caused too much damage.
 
And so, all four detectives were walking through the outskirts of Tokyo tracking the demonic presence toward a seemingly endless set of steps leading up to an old shrine.
 
As Yusuke began to climb the steps, Kurama put a gentle hand on his shoulder, “Yusuke, shouldn't we be concerned that a demon is entering onto sacred grounds. It does not hold with their typical temperament. Perhaps we should inform Koenma.”
 
“Of course I'm concerned,” Yusuke replied harshly, “That's why I'm going up there to check it out. If you want to go back and tell the brat that the damn thing is `acting strangely' then go ahead. I'm just going to go kill it.”
 
With that, the detective began moving up the steps as quickly as possible. With a sigh, Kurama and Kuwabara followed cautiously. Hiei was already at the top to greet the others with his cold stare. When they were all assembled, they turned around to face an average size shrine compound, housing the typical buildings and surrounded by thick greenery. After a short pause, they continued on through the shrine towards large tree right in the center. As the four men neared what was unmistakably the escaped demon, they began to make out another form standing next to a tall tree. The demon they had been tracking for the last two and a half hours was standing before a young, black haired woman, and the woman had an arrow aimed at the demon's chest.
 
~~~
 
Kagome had been doing some target practice next to the Goshinboku when she had felt the demon walk into the shrine compound, so she was ready for it. What she wasn't ready for was the tall stranger with beautiful, delicate features, long ebony hair, and dark red eyes. Nor was she prepared to deal with the spider like scar that spanned his bare left shoulder and continued across his pale chest, but what really shocked her was the slight pink glow of a jewel shard right between his eyes.
 
“Who are you?” Kagome asked in a cold tone turning to point an arrow at the demon.
 
The man's laugh was dark, and when he spoke, his voice was just as deep and alluring. “Don't you recognize me, Miko?” He waited for a reply, but when she continued to stare silently at him he answered his own question, “I guess not. My name is Masahiko, and I am Naraku's final child.”
 
Kagome's eyes darted from the scar on Masahiko's shoulder to the glow between his eyes before she spat out, “Naraku is dead. He has been for years.”
 
Masahiko laughed again, and this time it was filled with malice. “Of course he is dead. Why do you think I'm here?” He stared Kagome down and this time didn't wait for her to answer, “I've come to kill you, Kagome.” The way he dragged out her name made Kagome shiver in terror. “I've come to finish the job Naraku started and to take revenge for the man that spawned me.”
 
With that, he lunged at Kagome, his claws aimed straight for her throat. Before he was close enough to touch her, Kagome let her arrow fly. It flew past the demons right ear, missing him by a fraction of an inch, but it was enough to cause Masahiko to jump back and to give Kagome enough time to notch another arrow.
 
For a moment, the demon and the miko stared at each other with cold hatred. Then Masahiko backed away grinning. “I will be back Miko. This is not over,” he laughed, deep and seductive, as he slipped through some kind of rift and disappeared from view.
 
Kagome continued to hold her stance--bow drawn and ready to fire--for some time after the demon had vanished. Finally, she began to relax and slumped against the Goshinboku. She had to get back to Inuyasha and the others. They needed to know what had just transpired, but the whole situation seemed to consume her with fear and confusion. She couldn't quite wrap her mind around it. One of Naraku's incarnations had survived and was living in her time, and he possessed the shard, the final shard, the shard that they had been looking for since they had killed the evil hanyou two years ago.
 
Kagome quickly put up her equipment, and ran back to the well house.
 
~~~
As the girl franticly made her way into the small building, Yuuske looked back at the rest of his team. “We should get back. Koenma needs to hear about this.”