InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ "The Matrix Has You" ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9
 
“What's going on?” asked Arc who ran up into the cockpit of the Zorah, Inuyasha and Kagome behind him. They weren't sure what was going on and interested in what the trouble was.
“No way, you gotta be kidding me.” said Urza who was sitting in the driver's seat staring at the holograph projector. Above the glowing blue circle where 5 odd-squid looking creatures, by the look of the blue 3-D projection they looked like some sort of machine, with more than several red eyes in the front of it's body with at least 8 long flexible arms following behind it as it swam in place.
“Sentinels?!” exclaimed Arc mostly surprised. Standing behind the two driver chairs bending down to make sure the holograph was right.
“What the hell are they supposed to be?” Asked Inuyasha
“The basic grunts of the machines, literarily killing machines,” Answered Arc although not actually looking at Inuyasha. “Course after the One war the machines stop using them unless for emergencies.”
“Well I think this counts as an emergency for them, we do have that jewel, remember?” said Flame who was sitting in the co-driver's seat.
“Well they are being cautious; they would send hundreds for something like this, even if we are outside of a city's radio range. They want to make sure no one finds out about this.”
“What are we going to do?” asked Kagome worried.
Arc sighed and said “Land it over there”-he pointed to a large crevasse on the sides of the tunnel.
Inuyasha and Kagome watched as the ship slowly went inside it and landed inside it, the entire ship shaking from the impact.
“Shut it down and get the EMP ready.” He said quickly to Urza, Arc his nervousness evident in his speech.
“Sir, if the head council finds out we're all screwed.” Said Urza looking over his shoulder to look at Arc.
“Hopefully we wont have to fire it…it's just for protection.” Arc retorted keeping an eye on what was going outside the large window that the group was in front of.
Urza was still uncertain but pushed some buttons at his console and slammed a large switch above his head. In about 5 seconds the entire ship was pitch black the only light coming from the tunnels, which was very little as it was.
Flame flicked open a protective case and reveled a red glowing button, which had to be twisted to be activated. “EMP charged” he whispered his hand on it ready to use it at any moment.
“What's an EMP?” asked Kagome leaning toward Arc
“It creates a blast that shuts down any electronics in its area, our most powerful weapon against the machines, but like sentinels they're rarely used now.”
“Wouldn't it be easier just to destroy them?” Inuyasha suggested.
Arc was about to explain when Urza interrupted them. “It looks like they're keeping their distance…right out of our EMP range.”
“So they know where we are…and I don't think they're moving anytime soon, right?” Arc said.
“By the looks of it I think they got us cornered.” Flame said without any happiness what so-ever.
“Damn. We're going to have make a run for the nearest city…which is” Arc said looking at Flame.
“Axthon is our best bet at this point.”
“All right then…” Arc said who was faced with the pressing duties of a ship captain. “Get the gun turrets ready, we're getting to Axthon one way or another.”
 
0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0
 
“We're ready down here, those sentinels are going down” Said Flame's voice being transmitted from the gun turret area to the cockpit.
“All right then, lets go and hope we don't get our asses blown off.” Said Arc sitting in the co-captains chair typing away at the various keyboards turning off the EMP and preparing the ship to be able to shoot out of the chasm that they where in once the ship's power was turned back on.
Inuyasha and Kagome had left to the bridge and where sitting up next to each other each in their own chairs that where used to plug into the Matrix. Since they didn't have any knowledge in using the gun turrets they where ordered to wait on the main bridge and hang on.
“Do you think we'll be all right?” Kagome asked looking down at the floor uncertain.
“Don't worry I'll fight those stupid squid things myself if I have to.” Inuyasha said a self-assured look on his face. Kagome looked up and smiled reassured.
“Now then, lets get the hell out of here, shall we?” said Urza slamming down the large switch above his head bringing the entire ship back to life. At the exact same time twenty sentinels zoomed toward the ship it's claws extending readying to clasp to outer skin of the ship and start cutting though it using it's high power laser coming from the bottom of their body.
As soon as it was possible the Zorah quickly flew out of the hole, machine guns firing from certain points on the ships hitting some of the sentinels one of them being destroyed. Zooming past several of them and heading down the main tunnel that went to Axthon.
“Come on, you bastards!” Disk said under his breath using the gun shaped accessories, which controlled the aim of the actual gun turrets, he had control of and the blue circle shapes on the screen in front of him trying to hit the red objects, which represented sentinels.
Disked pushed the triggers to his guns firing at a group of sentinels he manage to get one but mostly ended up hitting nothing because of the sentinels dodging many of the attacks and the violent movements of the ship as it zoomed down the passageway.
“How much further is it?” asked Arc hanging on to his armrests.
“We can get there a lot faster if we take a short cut but—“
“Take it” Arc said simply
“All right” said Urza unsure if what the captain had told him was a good idea.
Without much warning Urza shot back his drive mechanism the entire ship making an 90 degree turn going through a tunnel that shot straight up, normally this part would be hovered up keeping the ship on it's belly, unfortunately they didn't have the time for that.
“I hate it when he does shit like this.” Said Ram annoyed, trying to stay in his seat from the ship being completely sideways.
“Hang on Kagome!!” Inuyasha yelled out also trying not to fall out and making sure Kagome didn't either.
After about ten more seconds the Zorah made it to the top of the tunnel and returned to it's normal position as in turned onto the main channel.
“Remind me not to take a shortcut anytime soon.” Said Arc who was just a tad pale from the last event.
“Well it did work…we're about 20 miles from Axthon, and we we're able to get the sentinels off us.” Said Urza checking the hologram map.
Arc pushed and held a button above his head. “This is captain Arc of the Zorah, requesting entrance to Axthon.” He said properly into the speaker above him.
“Entrance granted captain.” Said the female voice on the other end, “Welcome to Axthon.”
 
00oo00o0o0o0o0o0o0o0
 
After the ship had been landed on the large dock the entire crew including Inuyasha and Kagome where waiting to be able to exit the ship. Arc was standing in front of the large fold down door giving instructions to everyone.
“Ok, we're getting the ship restocked and I've got to talk to the council about our mission. So be sure to get a good night's sleep, because we're leaving first thing in the morning. So you are all off-duty till tomorrow” there where a few hoots and hollers form the group being able to come home, even if it wasn't for very long.
The large rectangle door slowly folded down in front of them creating a walkway down to the dock floor. The entire crew slowly walked out Kagome and Inuyasha looking around their surroundings. They where inside a large dome like area with smooth stone far above their heads, that reflected the lights aimed at them giving them a florescent-like quality.
All around them where several large hover ships all different sizes and shapes. Every one of them parked most of them where being worked on by crews but a few of them where simply just sitting there. In the center was a large building that reminding Kagome of oil digger in the ocean with a large crane on its top and gun turrets at certain parts of it.
Overall it was quite amazing and Kagome and Inuyasha where astounded and found themselves starring at it all till they realized they where being left behind by the group and quickly went to catch up with them.
The crew headed down the large tunnel that led off from the dock, there where many people of all different ethnics going either way. After a while from going down the walkway they found themselves at the entryway to living quarters.
It was absolutely huge, they where in a giant tunnel that had four story walls on each side with doors and pathways for each level with walkways that lead to the other side or an elevator placed in the middle placed evenly in the middle down the tunnel, which stretched longer than Kagome and Inuyasha could see.
From here everybody went there own way. Arc making a quick right when they first came in making his way to the council headquarters. Some of them head right on to first level some of them going taking the left pathway which led to a shuttle track which was used to get people to the dormitories further down the tunnel.
“Come on” said Disk to Kagome and Inuyasha “You guys can stay at my place.” He said while heading to the elevator. Kagome and Inuyasha hesitated but followed Disk.
 
0o00o0o0o0o0o0o0
 
Arc slowly entered the council member's office; he didn't see the need to address the entire council as his mission was to be kept under wraps to prevent any information being leaked out to any radical groups.
“Councilor?” asked Arc making sure it was ok to come in.
“Come in please.” Said the old bald black man who was sitting at his desk looking at important papers. He was large but certainly not fat and gave an aura of commandment even from just sitting there.
“Well hello Arc, good to see you” said the councilor looking up at Arc in a deep strong voice.
“You too Morphues.”
“You have made a quick return, have you finished your mission already?”
“No, sir. Although we have been able to retrieve the jewel, we where being chased down by sentinels and since this was the closest city to where we're where we decided to regroup here.”
“What do you plan to do now then?”
“Considering than Axthon is the closest city to the surface I plan on broadcasting nearby the city as to not get attacked by machine forces.”
“According to reports there where two more people on your ship since you left here, can you explain that please.”
“Those are the two that we found with the jewel, they where both being hunted down by agents and where in extreme danger.”
“So you awaken them?”
“Yes.”
“Well, I'm sure we can attain living quarters for them—“
“Actually Morphues, I was hoping they can stay on the Zorah for the mission.”
Morphues looked interested and asked, “Is there a particular reason why Arc?”
“I believe they are important to the completion of the mission.”
“Very well, I'm sure you'll take care of their training.”
“It has already started, I also plan on the Oracle seeing them when we go to her.”
“You weren't able to destroy the jewel?”
“No we couldn't hack past its protection program.”
“No, surprise there” Morphues said under his breath. “Is there anything else?”
“No.”
“Well you may go, good luck with the rest of your mission.”
“Thank you” Arc said heading to the door to leave.
 
0o0oo00o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o00
“Well here we are, it's not much but it'll work I think.” Disk said opening the door to his dormitory. It was pretty small and more like a large hallway than anything else. The main bed was at the very end with two hammocks like beds on the right wall.
The left wall had Disk's closet and a table with some random tools on it. And in a about the middle of the room was a square table with a few chairs around it. Most of the room was dark metal and didn't feel very much different than the sleeping quarters on the Zorah.
“You guys want something to eat?” asked Disk walking in
“Ya, you got any ramen?” asked Inuyasha excited. Kagome looked at him sideways annoyed.
After a few minutes Disk gave each of them a bowl of bright red colored stew that had vegetables swimming around in the liquid.
“I'm surprised they would still have any vegetables.” Kagome said who was quite hungry.
“Well, they aren't naturally grown. How it works it that we use this specially enhanced soil that grows certain crops automatically. They're actually synthetic but they taste pretty good.”
“Where they get the soil?” asked Inuyasha his mouth full of food.
“It was actually designed by the machines, since Axthon is the closet city to machine city our main export is agriculture.
`So, according to Arc you to where in some feudal Japan world or something like that? What was that like?” he asked interested.
“Well, it all started on my fifteenth birthday” Kagome began she proceeded to tell Disk about everything the Shikon Jewel how it was broken, all of her friends Shippou, Sango and Miroku. About Sesshomaru, Kouga, and Naraku. How they had been fighting Naraku for a long time and eventually leading up to his demise.
Disk sat and listen captivated about the adventures. After Kagome had finished it was actually quite late and all of them wanted to get some sleep. There were some problems with the hammocks and everybody wanted the mattress bed eventually they came to an agreement
“Goodnight boys” said Kagome kindly from the mattress bed.
”Goodnight.” Said Disk and Inuyasha at the same time annoyed each of them in their own hammock trying desperately to get comfortable.
 
(manaleak34: Yep…Morphues is a council member now, although he isn't the head of it…he's high up. So I decided to show what the cities are like now that there's the slight peace going on. Besides it's much more fun to use new stuff than stuff that's been done before ;) Anyway next time we get to see the Oracle…what's up her sleeves…read and find out damn it!! And review!! I'm mean I didn't leave you at a cliff this time…so I deserve it……ya )