InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ "The Matrix Has You" ❯ Chapter 18 ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 18
 
“Ram!” yelled out Stone from behind him hanging on the ladder that went down to the engine room, artillery room, and gun turrets controls. “The sentinels are almost done making the blocker, they're going to attack any minute!”
“Damn it!” Spat out Ram, everything that could go bad was happening, he had been watching Ruby, Inuyasha, Disk, and Kagome coming up to the roof of the building and meeting up with Morator and just starting to battle with him.
Ram took a deep breath trying to relax, with Arc dead, and Ruby still in the Matrix, he was currently the head of the ship. He had to make sure he made his decisions with careful precision; one wrong choice could mean disaster for the entire crew.
“Find out how many sentinels are out there and get the turrets ready, we got to hold them off long enough for Ruby and the others take care of the jewel.” Ram said turning in his chair to look at Stone a stern look on his face.
“They haven't gotten rid of the jewel yet?” asked Stone confused.
“Don't worry about that now!!” Ram yelled out not wanting to discuss this with him in the current situation. “Just get those damn turrets ready!!”
Stone surprised by Ram's yelling, quickly became silent, and said “Right” and headed down the ladder.
Ram returned to the computer staring intently at the code watching as Inuyasha and Disk where fighting with Morator. “Come on Ruby.” He whispered quietly at the screen.
 
0oo00o0oo0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0
 
Inuyasha watched unmoving as Kagome was released from Morator's grasp. He could clearly see her eyes shooting wide open as she realized what happened. Kagome's mouth opened into a scream as the gravity overtook her and she started falling, zooming down as everything went around her in a blur.
Inuyasha didn't bother to stop and think, he sped his way across the rooftop and jumped right off the guard wall, in the direction of where Kagome was falling. Disk and Ruby could only watch both confused and dismayed at Inuyasha doing something that insane.
Inuyasha's gaze went directly toward Kagome as he came over the guardrail. He had made huge jumps like this before but his concern now wasn't landing safely but getting to Kagome in time. He brought his hands to his sides and his legs straight out trying to get as much speed as possible.
In a few moments he managed to get over to Kagome, she was still yelling and had her eyes closed preparing for the impact. Inuyasha grabbed her around the waist, when he did Kagome opened her eyes and stared in amazement at Inuyasha's face.
Inuyasha quickly looked to both his sides checking his surroundings, he found what he was looking for in little time. He moved his feet over to his right side keeping them bended, waiting for the right moment. As he did he looked over at his left as another building's roof started to come into view. Kagome looking at the roof and at his face knew instantly what he was planning to do.
When the two of them where at a certain point, Inuyasha shot out his legs and pushed against the wall firing the two over the street over to the other building's roof. Inuyasha tried to land on his feet but because of how he was holding Kagome was only able to roll across the roof, both of them hanging on to the other as the rolled across. Although it was painful, it was definitely better that smashing into a city street.
The two finally stopped, Kagome lying on top of Inuyasha. Kagome slowly raised her head and looking at Inuyasha's face who was also staring at her. Noticing how they where positioned both Kagome and Inuyasha quickly moved off one another while blushing, then both of them sitting down looking off in different direction if it had never happened.
The two stayed like that for a few seconds, until Inuyasha asked “You okay?” relaxed. Kagome looked over at him slightly surprised and then smiled and said “Thank You, Inuyasha.”
“Uh, right.” Inuyasha said slightly blushing.
 
0ooo0o0o0o0o0o0o
 
“Well that was very stupid.” Morator said disappointed after Inuyasha had gone off the roof, not bothering to take a look over. He knew for a fact that it was impossible for him to save her. He started to turn his head to return his gaze at Disk and Ruby. When suddenly he was punched right across the face by Disk.
It was completely unexpected and very strong; Morator flew back and was sent rolling across the roof. There had been nothing fancy about the strike made by Disk, it was just a straight up sock across the face with his fist.
Morator quickly recovered himself by rolling himself into a standing position, his hand rubbing where Disk had struck him, a slight smile on his face. “It's unfortunate that you're unable to understand why I'm doing this. Saddening that the machines now have control even over those free from the Matrix.” He said in mocking depression.
Disk didn't bother listening to any of the words Morator said, everyone he knew was dieing right before his eyes, and he was powerless to stop it. He charged in blinding rage at Morator making a many and powerful strikes that he could.
Morator was taken aback from the speed that he was moving and just managed to block or dodge the attacks. `Well, this is good, at least I'll have one respectable fight.' He thought to himself as Disk continued his onslaught.
Morator then finally found an opening; he shot his knee up and struck in into Disk chest, impeding his movement in an instant. With Disk standing there slightly bended over Morator took a small step back and fired a devastating kick to the head shooting Disk across the roof, blood flowing out from his mouth as he went.
Morator turned sideways toward Disk, putting his hands in his pockets and watching him as he stopped. He watched for a few seconds and seeing no movement from him smirked and turned his attention to Ruby.
“His emotions get in his way.” Morator said staring at Ruby, her eyes showing no emotion as she stared right back at him, her sunglasses lost. “A true fighter, must never let their personal feelings hinder their mission, don't you agree?” he asked.
Ruby was about to reply until she heard Disk starting to get up. He got up slowly and wiped the blood from his face with the back of his hand, his eyes still brimming with anger.
“It's so interesting how anger can remove all reason within a person's mind.” He said somewhat derisively. He ran up to Disk much to his surprise and sent an attack of his own striking in all directions.
Ruby couldn't let Disk fight all on his own, she had a good feeling that Disk was going to be dealt the same fate as last time. She prepared to enter the fray, but she then heard her cell phone start to ring. She speedily took a glance at both Disk and Morator and her pocket where the ringing was coming from, trying to decide which she should go for.
She watched as the two persisted to battle, currently neither of them getting a real advantage, both of them blocking each others shots and making quick little hits that had very little effect on the other.
She desperately hoped that Disk could handle himself for a little longer and ripped out and opened her cell phone. “What it is?! I'm busy!” she yelled to Ram on the other side hurriedly.
“Ruby, I seriously need you help over here. We have at least seventy sentinels outside the Zorah ready to strike any second.” Said Ram on the other side concerned. “You're the best gunner on the ship, we aren't going to survive long without you.”
Ruby was still watching Morator and Disk fighting her face filled with anxiety as Morator started to get an advantage by knocking Disk into the small brick cube on the roof which contained the top of the stairways.
“Ram, I can't leave the others. I'm not going to let them die because of me.” Ruby said sternly breathing heavily becoming more and more worried about Disk's safety.
“They're gonna die if you don't get back here and stop these sentinels from blowing up the fucking ship!”
Ruby sighed trying to clear her head glancing from side to side considering the options. If she did left she would have to rely everything on Disk, she didn't even know if Inuyasha and Kagome where actually alive and if they could be of any help. Still the voice of Arc's kept playing in her head.
“Neither you or me can help him, his fate must be his own.” Arc had said to her before entering the Matrix to steal and destroy the jewel.
Ruby had sighed and said. “Arc, I know Disk is very strong, much stronger than I was at that age, but…do you really think that…he's what you think he is?” she had said uncertain how to describe Arc's belief of Disk being the descendant of the One.
Arc had stayed silent for a few moments until saying “If you can't believe in Disk being the descendant, at least believe in Disk himself.”
“I already do Arc.”
“Then there's nothing to worry about.” Arc had said with a smile.
Ruby closed her eyes giving a quick pray of respect for Arc and speaking in the phone. “Ok, get me an exit out of here.” She said calmly.
“Will do.” Said Ram happily on the other line.
Disk dodged another one of Morator's attacks a high punch to the head and then made several quick steps backwards getting out of his attack range. He suddenly noticed the absence of Ruby. He took a glance at where she last was and saw that she was in fact gone. Then he saw a figure flying though the air across the street toward the building across the street from where Disk was looking.
He could only stare distraughtly as he realized that is was Ruby landing on the other rooftop having made a huge jump to it. Was Ruby just going to leave him here on his own? He couldn't fathom why Ruby would do something like that and was hoping desperately that she wasn't serious.
Ruby landed on the rooftop and made her way to the entrance of the building's stairway. She grabbed on the handle, stopped for a moment and took a look back at where Disk was. “I believe in you Disk, don't make me regret this.” She whispered and opened the door and started heading down the stairway.
Disk kept staring at the rooftop till Morator's fist being slammed across his face sent him sprawling to the ground. He had almost forgotten about Morator and so became mad at himself for forgetting what Morator had done. Still to him the situation was looking even bleaker as he slowly got to his hands and knees trying to get up.
“Well it seems it's just you and me now.” Said Morator looking at where Ruby had been on the other rooftop and then turning his attention back to Disk. “You might as well give up now.” He said relaxed “Even if you did manage to get rid of me, it wouldn't do too much to help destroy the jewel.”
“What do you mean?” Said Disk out of breath looking up at Morator now on one of his feet hands on the knee in order to push up on it to stand up.
“I always consider every possibility. The greatest flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy. And so I plan for everything, for example if my death or removal of my code was somehow able to occur, a chain reaction would happen because of the lack of my code causing the virus to be released, possibly prematurely.” Morator said crossing his arms across his chest feeling proud with himself.
“You mean it can be used any time?” Disk asked amazed and somewhat confused wondering why Morator hadn't used it already, as he said that he was on both his feet staggering to stand up straight.
“Yes. Currently it is powering up to begin its decryption of the system's coding. Even if it was created using the jewel it still must be powered up if to attempt to hack into such a complex system as the Matrix. If it was used now it would not completely destroy the system, however it would certainly send the system into chaos.” Morator said a ominous smile on his face, making Disk only more enraged with him.
Suddenly something came to Disk, he was surprised he didn't think of it earlier, but most likely it was because he was too busy trying to find out what to do now that he was alone with Morator.
“But then that means the jewel can't be destroyed unless you are…but if your are destroyed…then the virus goes off.”
“Well then you've finally discovered the inevitability of our little conflict.” Said Morator with some minor joy. “Not that it matters much though since your going to be killed anyway.”
“No.” said Disk staring at him in disbelief and revulsion. “There's no way.” He said lost for words.
“Oh, believe me Disk,” Said Morator mystically “You have yet what I am able to achieve, it's too bad you'll wont be around to see it though.” He said the last part very menacingly, Disk staring in dismay.
 
0oo00oo0o0o0o0o0o0o0
 
“Ok, Kagome you stay here. There's no way he's gonna do that and get away with it.” Said Inuyasha angrily referring to Morator as he stood and looked up to the roof top where Morator and Disk where.
Because of their current position neither Kagome nor Inuyasha could see what was currently going on the roof, but they expected the worse. Inuyasha had stood up hands in fists at his sides standing unmoving trying to figure out how high the jump would have to be. Kagome was still sitting on the rooftop and looking up at the back of Inuyasha's head.
“Hold up Inuyasha!” exclaimed Kagome as she stood up and grabbed on to his shoulder stopping him from jumping up to the other roof.
“What!?” Inuyasha said angrily turning around to look at her very annoyed with her.
“Inuyasha we should go stop the virus, I'm sure Disk and Ruby will handle themselves.” Kagome said, she wasn't sure on that last statement but she needed to keep hope.
“The hell with that! Morator's mine!” Yelled out Inuyasha as he prepared to make his jump.
Kagome sighed; she had a good feeling that would happen. `Sorry Inuyasha' she thought to herself and then yelled out “Sit Boy!!”
In a flash of bright purple light Inuyasha slammed down into the roof from midair. It wasn't as powerful as the many sits she had done before, but it certainly did its job.
“Oh good it still works.” She said happily, as she heard a muffled “God damn you.” Coming from the ground.
Now her only problem was finding out where the virus was, they currently had no clue of its location, and of course wandering around the city wouldn't be such a good idea. She suddenly got the idea of Inuyasha being able to track it down with his nose, but she doubted that he could identify the smell.
Inuyasha shot up to a dog-like sitting position, looking off annoyed. He didn't bother trying to jump off again knowing well that he would only get sat again. As this was happening Kagome's hand wandered to her side at her pocket and then all of a sudden remembered the cell phone she still had in her pocket that she had used to call Ram before entering the door to the source. She pulled this out and quickly made the speed dial that Disk had taught her as Inuyasha stood up arms crossed staring at her wondering what she was doing.
 
Oo0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0oo0o00
 
“Ok, what's the situation?” asked Ruby as she walked over to behind Ram looking over his shoulder at the computer screen.
Ram sighed and replied, “The sentinel count right now is at exactly eighty-four, and by the looks of it is still going up. As for the blocker, I think…” he said typing something on the computer looking at the monitor on the right which was currently covered with complicated figures and readings that even Ruby had a difficult time understanding it all.
“…We have about seven to ten minutes at best.” Ram said trying to stay as calm as possible.
“You already tried making a distress signal?” asked Ruby
“They cut off our radio signal a long time ago.” Said Ram depressed
“Why haven't they attacked yet?” Ruby asked confused.
“You know how these machines are. Everything has to be perfect for them; they're making sure that nothing can help us.” Said Ram forebodingly turning to look at her for the first time.
Ruby stared at him with little emotion for some time till she asked “What about Disk?”
“As of now not much.” Ram said while typing on the main keyboard, returning his look to the main monitor. “By the looks of it they're actually talking.”
“Yea, Morator's a bit of a jabber jaw.” Said Ruby in spite.
Ram gave a slight smile and was about to make a comment but was stopped by a ringing; someone was calling them. Ram hesitated to answer it, not knowing who would be on the other line, Disk being occupied, and Inuyasha and Kagome most likely being dead. He quickly pushed the button to answer and said confused “Operator?”
 
0o0o0oo0ooo0o0o0oooo00o0
 
“Ram is this you?” asked Kagome wondering if she had dialed the number correctly. And so was glad when she heard a “Yea, your ok?” on the other side on of the line in relief.
“Kagome! Your all right, good…what about Inuyasha?” asked Ruby from the other side talking into Ram's mouthpiece much to his annoyance.
“He's fine also,” Kagome said taking a glance toward him and then realizing something. “Hey why are you there? What about Disk!?” she asked worried.
“They need me over here, the Zorah is going to be attacked by over eighty sentinels any minute.” Ruby said after a short pause, causing Kagome to gasp.
“Well, we got to go help him!” exclaimed Kagome troubled.
“No.” Said Ruby plainly. “This is something he needs to do on his own.”
“But—“
“It's what Arc would want.” Said Ruby quietly. Kagome stayed silent giving Arc respect.
“Now then, we need you two to get rid of the virus.” Ruby said continuing. Ram had gotten fed up with Ruby constantly talking in the mouthpiece while the headset was still on him, and so gave it to Ruby to wear.
“Right! That was what I was calling about.” Said Kagome remembering.
“Ok, good. Ram! Find out where that virus is!” Ruby said to Ram being heard on Kagome's phone.
“No problem.” Said Ram, smiling and typing away.
0o0o0o0o0oo00o0o0o0
 
“You have to stop it Morator! Don't you understand if you destroy the Matrix, thousands of humans are going to die!” Disk yelled out trying to reason with him.
“I am aware of that.” Morator said calmly.
“I thought you wanted to save them.” Said Disk slowly and enraged, trying his best not to punch Morator right in the face.
Morator sighed and started pacing away from him his back turned and his right hand lightly touching his head, trying to deal with Disk's stupidity. “Disk, Disk, Disk.” He said in sadness. “I thought you of all people could understand what I'm doing. Unfortunately…” he said while turning around to look at him. “It seems that assumptions of you where incorrect, very disappointing.”
“What the hell is that suppose to mean?”
“I am saving these people Disk.” Morator said finally becoming serious.
“What!?” exclaimed Disk bewildered “How is that supposed to work?”
“Consider this Disk.” Said Morator with little emotion. “If a person were freed from the Matrix, would that person necessarily be truly free?”
“Of course.” Disk replied unsure where Morator was going with this.
“No, Disk. If there's anything history has taught us is that humans are never free. Even in a government such as that of Zion or the United States before the machine uprising. People are still under control of those with more power. Laws and regulations forcing people to conform to government's ideal of a society.”
“That's not true. You know it.” Said Disk matching Morator's tone of voice.
“Is that so?” said Morator feeling as if he was challenged. “Think about it Disk, what's to stop the government of Zion or Axthon from taking over the entire society of humans? If they wanted to they could kill every single human living in those cities so they could have unopposed control of the current human society.”
`Do you understand Disk?” asked Mortar staring at him intently “Even if every single human was free from the Matrix, they would still be prisoners. The only true freedom…is death.”
“Is that so? Then what takes you out of the loop? Why aren't you someone just trying to control human society?”
“Because, I'm going to die with them.” Morator said peacefully.
“Well I'm not going to let you.” Said Disk dangerously getting in a fighting position.
“You can try.” Said Morator every syllable with force.
 
0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0
 
“Come on, we're almost there!” yelled out Kagome while sitting on the back of Inuyasha who was carrying her as he leaped across building to building going throughout the city.
It was only now that they noticed that the city had mysteriously become completely absent and void of life beside them. It created an eerie silence that made Kagome restless, wondering what had happened to the once bustling city.
“Ok, the area of the virus should be on the roof top at your ten-o-clock the one with the billboard.” Said Ram on the other side of Kagome's cell phone that was still at Kagome's ear.
“I see it.” Said Inuyasha overhearing the conversation. The location that Ram described coming into view.
Inuyasha landed down and Kagome hopped off looking around. “There it is.” She said pointing to a large device under the billboard in the steel bars holding it up blocking it from view from those not near it.
The device was actually very nonchalant compared to its use. The basis was a very dark pale color not unlike that of a nicely tanned skin. The design was of perfect geometric design with no curved lines whatsoever.
There sides where almost completely plain with the expectation of an air vent on the right side. In fact if it wasn't for the fact that it was radiating with the aura of the Shikon Jewel Kagome would have thought it was just part of the roof, no doubt a art of it's design; in order to keep people from having suspicious about it.
“So, now what?” asked Inuyasha staring at it wondering if this was what they where actually looking for.
“Um, Ram?” Kagome asked though the mouthpiece.
“Ok…this code is some serious stuff, it's going to be a while before I can even crack the first encryption and considering we have these sentinels ready to pounce any minute, this is not going to be easy. Oh crap.” Ram said the last part confusing Kagome.
“What is it?”
“Look up.”
Kagome did and saw in the support beams a female with black dress pants and long street shirt. She had brown hair in perfect fashion stretching down to her lower shoulders. She was standing perfectly still and little emotion covered her face.
“So, who the hell are you?” yelled out Inuyasha looking up at her.
“Inuyasha!” Yelled out Kagome realizing who it was. “It's Atropos, one of Morator's bodyguards.”
“Correct.” She said in a forceful voice sending chills up Kagome's spine. “I am here to prevent any problems preventing my master's plan.”
“Is that so? Well at least I'll get Morator by taking care of you.” Inuyasha said arrogantly facing her flexing his hands readying for a fight.
“Someone like you has no chance of defeating me.” Atropos said her tone unchanging.
“Well, we'll just see won't we?” Inuyasha said preparing to jump a smirk on his face.
 
((Well happy late 4-o-July…so took a little longer than usual, sorry bout that summer stuff and all…but hey I update a lot faster than a lot of fanfics so get off my back!! Anyway…I've decided that I'm going to be doing another Fan-Fiction after this is done…I'm not going to give too much away but I will say It will not be any sort of cross-over, will take place during the time frame of the series…and there's assassins!! YaY! Maybe next time I'll show you the summary I plan to us…till then…reviews please! And be sure to check out KeyToExistence's Inu Matrix crossover-> http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2216708/1/ ))