InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 13 Ways to Kinda Say I Like You ❯ 4, Affections Touching (in a short amount of time…) ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Eh-heh…ah, well, back to this one again. I think I jinxed myself by saying this was thirteen. Oh well, here goes. Back a few chapters for Kagome. Love you all, I own no one…they only live under my bed eating Cheetos and making messes. Darth Mer Mer

Dear Diary,

Well, today was interesting to say the least. After my bath, I got back to bed and realized that I had skipped an entire chapter. Things are looking up…sorta. But I think I may have goofed it up at the end. Oh, well, there's always another chapter.

Kagome

Chapter 4, Affections Touching (in a short amount of time…)

The bath had made the girl bold. If she hadn't skipped those two chapters she would have never acted on the outlines for the fourth chapter. Perhaps it would have been wiser in the long run. Kagome was turning so gung ho that her better judgment was starting to slip…basically she hadn't realized the blatant inconsistencies in her book. It seemed like Mrs. Nao Saotome had some good idea. But ideas are sometimes different than realities.

Kagome woke early to the sound of winter birds singing in the crystalline, crisp winter air. Peeking around the edge of her cover, she found the others still snoozing peacefully. Grinning, she ruffled the pages of her book lovingly staring at the wealth of knowledge that lay within. Curling closer to Kagome, Shippou tucked himself tighter to her stomach for warmth.

Somehow, that small movement and his closeness comforted the teenager. It was true what they said about humans needing touch to survive and feel safe. She herself, felt safest when she was on Inuyasha's back. No matter how high they were, Kagome always found time to ignore the distance to the ground and study the strong lines of Inuyasha's jaw and neck.

Looking down at her tome, Kagome noticed that three or four pages were dog-eared and stuck together. "Hn, that's weird." She quietly unfolded the pages and slid her fingers between the pages to dislodge them. Grimacing at the old gum she found there, Kagome leaned down closer in the low light to read the title. "What? I missed an entire chapter?" Her eyes widened. It was if the book had read her mind.

In dark ink on the sticky page were the words, "Body Language." Her breath caught in her throat. Wasn't that a little early for something like that? A blush spread over her cheeks. She read on.

"People need to be touched. If you like someone, start making little shows of affection through touching. Now, this doesn't mean anything major. Just small things, like brushing a hair away from their eyes (Granted now that Genma, my husband is bald, I can no longer do that…) or just brushing against them. The best way to start is to touch ten times. As much as you want things to be a certain way, deep down you can normally tell how things actually are. If it feels like there's a spark, take confidence from that and move on to something a bit more daring. Some things, like kissing should be saved for later, but if it's going well, have at! Think of the reward!"

Sighing, she bit her lip and curled back under the covers. This one was going to be a little more difficult. Her hand found Shippou and gently stroked his head as he slept.

Later that morning, Inuyasha started out for the forest to find some more fire wood. The majority had been used for Kagome's bath last night. Not that he minded, after all that he needed a little alone time to think about things. Well, not things really, just Kagome. She had been acting so strange lately. Feh, he snorted, she was probably just sucking up to go home again. He sighed. He didn't want her to go home.

"Inuyasha!"

He froze, here it came. There was no other reason for Kagome to be up this early. She was probably going to announce her return trip now. Then they'd have to fight and argue. His ears drooped.

"Inuyasha," She appeared at his side, trotting through the snow, her breath making small clouds that framed her windblown cheeks. "Can I-"

Good grief, if she asked him now, looking all cute and pretty and stuff, there'd be no way he could say no. His mind groaned, maybe she'd come back soon or something.

"-go with you?" She turned her eyes up to his, surprised to see him looked at her like she had grown horns. Did he not want her to go? Her spirits dampened, Kagome prepared herself for a rejection.

She didn't want to leave! He fought every urge he had to grin like a fool. His mission to go alone and think, flew away on the warm clouds of Kagome's breath. "H-hai." Quickly turning away, his thick hair hiding his red cheeks.

Brightening, Kagome smiled and brushed her shoulder against his as she charged ahead. Grinning as she went, she thought to herself, one down, nine to go!

Inuyasha stared after the dark head that ran ahead of him. That had been intentional, was she upset at him? She normally didn't act aggressive like that. Shaking his head, he let the though go.

As the morning wore on, Kagome continued to make small contact with Inuyasha. Gathering the dry pieces of wood as they went, Kagome made sure that their hands brushed twice as the reached for the same log. A small smile played at the corner of her lips. This wasn't that hard. She had already gotten three touches in. But when she went for the fourth try, the hanyou pulled away.

What the Hell was she doing!? His ears flattened. Maybe she was just being clumsy…maybe not. It wasn't that he minded that she kept touching him, but it felt different somehow. A wind blew up the snow around them, momentarily blinding their eyes. Inuyasha gulped.

As she tried again to touch his hand, Kagome's feet tangled with an unseen root under the snow, her arms shot out as she fell. She would never be sure if she had dragged Inuyasha down with her, or if he had tried to grab her before she stumbled. But the only thing she knew was that when the snow had cleared, Inuyasha was looking up at her. His body was partially enveloped by the white snow, red hakama and kimono in stark contrast to the white. And on top of the demon was Kagome. His cheeks were also red. Kagome couldn't read his eyes, so she settled on retreated by lowering her head and resting it on his chest.

Trying to keep his breathing even, as the snow sifted around them like sugar, Inuyasha stared up at the bare trees, dark against the white sky. What was going on??? Kagome's weight on his body was warm, comfortable, but strange. It was like she had planned it. He pushed up. "Are you okay?"

"Um, I think I hurt my ankle. But it's okay." Kagome swallowed. As nice as this felt, Inuyasha felt wrong beneath her. Struggling to her feet, she managed to stand, but knew that there was no way she could walk. "You go on, I'll go back to the village." She smiled through the curtain of her humiliated pain and stooped to gather the fallen wood.

As her fingers trembled, pulling the sticks closer to her, she made sure to keep her head down. Waiting for him to leave, the silent tears dripped stubbornly from her stinging eyes. God, how had she been so dumb? He'd probably dash away now. She started as Inuyasha's foot appeared momentarily and kicked the wood away.

"Dummy…come on. I'll carry you back." He stooped beside her and motioned for her to climb on his back.

More stubborn tears escaped from her eyes. "Um, I don't think I can." She slumped down in the snow, her ankle throbbing painfully. She yelped as Inuyasha scooped her up in his arms, shifting to arrange her more comfortably next to his chest and leapt away.

Blushing, Kagome decided that this would count for the touches up to nine. That only left one…

Inuyasha almost dropped the girl as her hand gently traced the side of his face. "Uh, Ka-Kagome?"

She smiled, "Nothing, it was only an eyelash." Sighing, Kagome decided maybe it was time to start looking for some similarities between them. If she didn't try that one too, she'd always have to wonder.

To be continued.

What do you all think? Love you all, Darth Mer Mer