InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Shards of Jaken ❯ Tale of the Ramen Thief ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Theme: Karma
 
Genre: Humor
 
Tale of the Ramen Thief
 
Sesshomaru had sent Jaken off on a mission—or perhaps more like an errand—across the countryside. In his haste to return to his lord, Jaken neglected stopping to eat, but finally his hunger caught up with him.
 
“Ugh,” he said, patting his growling stomach. “I need food…” But the surrounding area was barren. Jaken collapsed on his back, weak with hunger.
 
Suddenly his eyes grew focused at the sound of voices not far off.
 
“That's enough rest, we've got to get going if we're going to catch Naraku!”
 
A younger sounding voice followed. “That's some talk from someone who just spent the past hour stuffing his face.”
 
“Why you—“
 
“Ow!”
 
“Inuyasha! Sit!”
 
Jaken stood up. It was Lord Sesshomaru's despicable half-brother and his band of friends. And from the sounds of it, they had just finished lunch. Jaken didn't normally care much for human food, but right now, he'd eat anything!
 
Getting up, he stumbled in the direction the voices had been, hoping they'd left some scraps behind.
 
-
 
There were dents and crumbs in the grass, signs that they'd indeed held a picnic there, but no food. Only a little white carton remained.
 
Jaken whimpered, starting to cry. He was so hungry! He kicked at the carton and sent it flying straight up in the air. It landed on Jaken's head and then bounced to the earth.
 
“Grr,” Jaken stared at it, but then his eyes widened. The lid had popped open, and something was sticking out of the carton.
 
A few stray noodles were stuck to the box. Jaken devoured them like a hungry wolf. `This food!' he wondered. `This marvelous gift from the gods! What can it be?”
 
Turning the box over, he read the label. “Ramen.”
 
-
 
Inuyasha tore through Kagome's backpack, tossing stray items aside. “Hey, Kagome!” he snapped. “Where's the Ramen? I thought you were bringing me some back.”
 
“I did.” Kagome looked through her backpack. “Hm, I could have sworn I brought you some. You sure you didn't eat it already?”
 
“Feh, I think I'd know it if I ate it!”
 
Meanwhile, Jaken hid in the forest, cradling his precious treasure. “Oh my delicious Ramen. How I've missed you.”
 
-
 
And on it went. Kagome kept bringing back Ramen, and it was always gone before Inuyasha had any. Finally, she was sick of hearing him complain.
 
`I'll microwave it at home, and bring it straight to the Feudal Era. That way he can eat it right away and he won't be able to blame me for it missing.'
 
-
 
When Jaken found the carton of instant Ramen lying in the grass as though waiting there for him, he was delighted. It was already cooked, still warm, and best of all, full to the brim! That stupid hanyou hadn't gotten his paws on it yet.
 
Jaken savored each noodle, taking his time until the carton lay empty. He patted his full stomach. “Ahhh,” he sighed, sluggish and content.
 
But suddenly, he heard voices coming his way, and had to duck into the woods for cover.
 
-
 
Kagome prodded Inuyasha. “So, did you like the Ramen I brought you?”
 
“Feh, couldn't eat it.”
 
“What? Don't tell me it disappeared again! I handed it right to you!”
 
“No, I know. I took a huge bite and choked. Spat all the noodles right back into the cup. Kind of lost my appetite after that. I just left it in the grass. Over there…”
 
Inuyasha picked up the carton. “Hey, it's empty.”
 
Kagome gave him a look. “You don't think… someone ate them, do you?”
 
“Heh! Well, I'd like to see the look on that slimy thief's face if he found out what he'd been eating!”
 
-
 
Jaken blanched, and swallowed back the vomit that was rising in his gullet. Those delicious noodles had been in that disgusting hanyou's mouth!
 
As Jaken passed out, a thought occurred to him. If there was such a thing as karma, this was it.