InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 38 Shades ❯ Change ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer- See CH 4

 

CH 9- Change

I woke up with tears dried on my face. I got up and rubbed my face. I looked at the clock and saw that it was about five in the morning. I struggled to remember what day it was.

It was Friday. Two days after the incident at Sesshomaru's house. It felt like it had been years ago.

I stretched. I was still wearing my funeral clothes. A long black skirt and a long-sleeved black shirt. I didn't want to go to school, but I should. I've missed about… three, four days in a row, and that would not be good for my grades. I sighed. I guess I should go… Yeah, I'd go. Mt stomach made a little flip at the though of seeing Sesshomaru. I didn't stop to analyze it. I made my way to the kitchen and found a coffe maker. I can actually make pretty decent coffee. I started it up and went to the bathroom. I cleaned up as best I could. Without my usual black eyeliner and eye shadow, you could see the bags under my eyes.

I went back to the kitchen and found the coffee ready. The aroma was beautiful. I could get high off that thing. I poured myself a cup and sat at the table, staring off into space and inhaling the coffee.

I finished it all and washed the cup out. I always did have good manners. I looked around the living room for paper, and found a pad and a pen.

"Gone to school, will be back around three-thirty if welcome. Kagome." I sprawled it out and set it in the kitchen, next to the coffee maker. I left it running, I knew that Miroku and Sango would be awake soon to get to their respective destinations.

I wondered if the other kids knew about my mom. I wonder if they'll still talk about me, make fun of me still, even though my mom has just died. They probably would. Kids are cruel these days, evil.

Miroku and Sango's apartment wasn't far from school, only about ten minutes away. I grabbed my jacket, and headed out. I snuck a peek into Shippo's room. It really was neat. I looked at the framed pictures on the little desk there, and saw a perfect family. One picture had Miroku and Sango holding hands, with a brown-haired boy of about ten standing beside them, sticking his tongue out at them. In Sango's arms was a young boy of about six. He had fluffy brown hair tied back into a ponytail, and was eating an ice-cream cone.

`They look so perfect,' I thought to myself. I would never have a family like that again. Even if I lived here with them for the rest of m life, I would never fit into that picture. I could wish…but wishes never come true.

I pulled on my boots and walked out. Time for another day at school. I wonder if Sesshomaru will be there.


The school was crowded, and I had to push and shove about a million people until I could get to my locker. Then, when I got there, I had to cuss out a couple that were making out on it. I hate teenagers.

I had to think about my combination for a minute. I hadn't opened my locker that much when I had come to school. I finally remembered it. I had World History first. I grabbed my book for it, then made my way downstairs. I was about to enter my classroom when I heard a familiar voice.

"Kagome?" It was Sesshomaru. I turned to see him, and felt my heart clench. He was wearing his customary black, a black Slipknot hoodie, black Tripp bondage pants, and black Vans. I walked to him and stood staring up at him, not saying a word. He stared back, then held his arms out. I stepped into them and closed my eyes. I felt so safe. ((A/N- I don't like putting author's notes in the middle of my stories, but I had to say something: Awww!!!!!))

"Oh, look, it's the freakus gothicus! Watch how they gather to mate! Please remember, don't feed the animals!" Laughter rang out through the students.

I didn't bother to look up. It was Kikyo Takshiwa. I hate her. She's a bitch. There are no other words for her. She makes fun of everybody who's different from her, which means everyone who isn't rich and pretty like her. She's a racist, a homophobe, a Prep. The world would be a better place without her.

I let go of Sesshomaru, but he kept me lose to him, his arm around my waist. I took a quick glance up at him, and was astonished by the change. His face was closed off, emotionless. His beautiful amber eyes were hard, cold. I could feel his muscles, they were tensed up, rock hard.

I finally turned to Kikyo. She was wearing a short blue skirt, one that barely covered her ass, a blue off-the-shoulder blouse, one that barely covered her boobs, and high blue sandals. Her black hair was curled around her face, and her brown eyes were bright with excitement. Her face was covered with just the right amount of make-up.

"What do you want?" I asked her, voice calm and hard.

"What do I want? Hmm, let's see…" She lifted a slim hand and started counting fingers. "I want money, I want a car, I want to own the mall, I want to marry someone famous, and I want to be beautiful forever. NO, wait, I left out a couple. I want world peace and I want crazy freaks like you to die." She gave us a bright smile.

I smiled back. "If you've been nice this year, I'm sure Santa will consider that."

"You believe in Santa? At your age? Honestly Kagome, at your age. I don't think you should be telling people that. They might send you to the loony bin."

I waved a hand at her. "That's not a problem. I live there already."

Kikyo rolled her eyes at me. `Kagome, you are a freak. People like you, and him, " she pointed at Sesshomaru, "should be put down. You're no good for the world. You're pollution."

I snuck a peek at Sesshomaru to see how he would react. He hadn't changed expressions, just tightened his arm around me.

"Oh, by the ay Kagome, I heard that your mother died." I watched her, not saying a thing. "I want to say, thank god. One less freak in the world. Because she would have to be a freak, to have a child like you."

The world stopped. Everyone was silent. I stared at her, eyes wide. A red haze tainted everything for me.

"Oh, hell no bitch." I tackled her.

Kikyo fell with a shriek and I straddled her, punching her. I heard noting but the words she had said about my mother. I had a handful of her hair in my hand, pulling at it, and my other was punching her. Someone pulled at me, but I shrugged them off. They pulled harder, and I was yanked off her, but I got free, and started to kick her, in the ribs, in her face, everywhere I could reach. I could hear her screaming, and it fueled me to kick her harder.

Someone grabbed me by the waist and lifted me away. I struggled and I realized I was yelling, every cuss word I knew.

"Kagome! Kagome, stop! Stop!" Sesshomaru was yelling in my ear. He carried me all the way outside and plunked me on a bench.

"No! She talked about my mom! I will not let her say things like that about my mom! Let me go so I can kick her ass some more!"

He held me still. "No. You did enough. They're calling an ambulance. And the police."

I struggled some more, then stopped abruptly. The fight had all drained out of me. "The police, huh?"

"Yes." Once he was sure I wasn't going to bolt, he let me go, and sat down next to me.

"I guess Kikyo is gonna press charges."

"Most likely. You'll probably go to juvie."

"Isn't that nice. Especially with my record."

Sesshomaru put an arm around me again. I leaned back and rested my head against his strong shoulder. "If I go to jail, I'll miss you a lot. Make sure you come visit me."

"Always," he whispered, and kissed my head.


(((I'm gonna skip all the court stuff, so this is about a couple months afterwards.)))


I walked to the psychiatrist I had to go see. His name was Akito Kotare, and he was a pain in the ass. I basically spent the whole hour staring at him, and him staring at me.

I got to the building and walked in. I was wearing black Tripp bondage pants with red stitching, a red tank top with a black silk button-up shirt over it, and my black Vans with red laces. I was also wearing a red choker and tons of silver necklaces and bracelets, so of course, everyone stared at me. I ignored them.

I went to Kotare's office and let myself in. He didn't blink, just pulled a file out of his desk and opened it. He held a pen. Then we commenced out staring match. I studied the man, realizing I hadn't really looked at him n the three weeks I had been seeing him. He was about thirty. He had brown hair, and blue eyes. He was tall, probably about Sesshomaru's height. He wore a dark blue suit with a midnight blue tie. His jacket was off, and his dress-shirt sleeves were rolled up. All bland and predictable.

Then he did something very unpredictable. He actually talked to me.

"How do you like living with Youkan and his family?"

I didn't show my surprise. I decided to answer him, just because the staring thing was getting old. "It's cool.Mikari is annoying though. Always looking at me like I'm gonna start going crazy and kill them or something."

"Are you?"

I rolled my eyes. "C'mon, really. I'm not crazy. Why would I was want to kill her? Yeah, she's annoying as hell, but she's Sesshomaru's mom, and he seems to like her."

"You're not crazy? Then why did you attack Kikyo?"

"She talked about my mom. Said things that she had no right, that nobody, has a right to say."

Kotare nodded. Then he lapsed back into silence. I stared out the window in his office.

My life had gotten so twisted up. I hadn't heard or seen anything from the shades since I got into that fight. It's almost like they were giving me a break to let me sort out my life. But with the way my life is, when they come back, they'll be back worse then ever.

My hour ended and I left, without saying goodbye or waiting for him to say I could go. Not like he ever did.

It was almost December, and it was cold. I shivered, and pulled my thin shirt closer to me. I was supposed to call Sesshomaru to get me, since he got his license last week, but I didn't want to. I felt a need to walk, to think.

I broke four of Kikyo's ribs. Tat though always cheered me up. AND if I ever told Kotare that, I would be sent to the asylum. I still couldn't believe that Sesshomaru had gotten his father to agree to take me in. Social Services had been very willing to let me go when Youkan had waved around the big check he was willing to donate to them.

Sesshomaru and I had gotten close. I felt I could tell him everything and anything. I think I love him, but I'll never tell. I didn't think I could ever be that open with him. But I think he knows. He's smart like that.

I was thinking about my life when a car pulled up beside me. The window was pulled down and a familiar head stuck out the window.

"Kagome!"

I smiled. It was Sango, probably on her way home. I walked over to her. I had kept in contact with Sango and Miroku and the others. Miroku and Sango had gotten married a month ago, and I had gone to their wedding.

"Coming or going from Kotare's" she asked me. Before I could answer, another voice called me, this time from the back seat.

"Kagome! Hi!' It was Shippo. He was so cute. He reminded me of Sota, which hurt at times. I waved at him, then turned back to Sango.

"Coming. I just finished."

"Where's Sesshomaru? Isn't he supposed to pick you up?"

"Yeah, but I didn't call him. I wanted to think before going home."

Sango gestured to her car. "Get inside, Kagome, I'll take you home. Someday, you're gonna kill yourself. Trying to walk all the way to the house in this weather. You do realize it's about ten miles away?" she asked me when I climbed in. "And look what you're wearing!"

I just shrugged. Sango sighed. I watched the tress flash by. Then I turned back to Sango.

"Sango, why'd you marry Miroku?"

She glanced at me. "I love him. What other reason do I need?"

"But he's so annoying sometimes. And he's always grabbing your butt."

Sango laughed. "Yeah, but I'm so used to it. And anyways, he's grabbing mine, and not another girl's, so I can't be that mad."

"Oh." I turned back to the road. Sesshomaru never got on my nerves. He was perfect, which was scary to me. I can't believe that he is really is as kind and gentle as he is to me. I don't deserve somebody like that.

"Is there somebody you want to marry, Kagome?" Sango asked.

"Huh? No. There's somebody…special to me, but I don't thin marriage is in the plans."

She smiled at me. "Is it Sesshomaru?"

My eyes widened. "Wha-? No, no, it's nobody, really." I could tell by her expression that Sango didn't believe me. "Yeah, it is. How'd you tell?"

"I can tell by the way he looks at you, and the way you look at him. Sesshomaru is the kind of person who loves, let alone likes, very easily. He would do anything to keep you safe."

I usually didn't like people telling me what to do, but this was a part of my life I had no experience in. I gladly listened to Sango, who had found somebody she loved.

"How do you know he loves me?"

"Same way I said before. The way he looks at you is a dead give away. The way he pulls you close to him, listens to every word you say."

I took in her words, then turned back to the road that was whizzing by.

I was afraid for Sesshomaru. What if the shades hurt him? They had talked about a `him". I don't want anything to happen to him. I've had enough loss in my life, I don't want any more.

I listened to Shippo chattering in the back. He had gotten a Nintendo DS for his birthday three days ago, and wouldn't part with it. He's scary with that thing. He's only seven and he has beaten every game Sango and Miroku give him. He beat Jak 2 in five days, and that was only after playing in about three hours everyday after school, and that wasn't even three hours straight! He's a monster. I couldn't even play Jak 2, `cause I didn't understand how to control it.

The rest f the trip as spent in silence, with only the occasional exclamation from Shippo when he died or when he killed something. He takes "kill or be killed" very seriously.

Sango pulled up in front of the house and Sesshomaru walked out, a funny expression on his face. He grabbed me into a hug huge.

"Ummmm," I patted his back. "What's the matter, Sess?" I asked him.

"I was worried," he said into my hair. I ran my fingers through his soft, shining hair, which he had left loose.

"Oh. Why?"

"I called Kotare when you didn't call and he said you had already left. I was scared about what had happened to you."

See? That's exactly what makes me love him. And I guess I do love him.

"I'm okay. I decided to walk, but Sango found me and drove me home."

He pulled me away and gently shook me. "Do you know how far it is some his office to home? Do you know how cold it is? You could've frozen to death."

I laughed, I couldn't help it. "You sound like an old lady, Sess."

He glared at me, then smiled slightly. "I guess I do."

Sango honked from her car, and Sesshomaru and I waved her and Shippo off.

We walked into the car, arm in arm.

My live has been changed, and I think for the better. Yeah, I have to go to the physiatrist, but I have Sesshomaru waiting for me when I get done. I may see ghosts, but they aren't bothering me. I'm doing well at school, despite my absences, the restraining order from Kikyo, and the stares from the other students.

I'm actually happy now. I hope it lasts for a while.


About Shippo and Jak 2, that's a real life experience. My brother, who is seven, did exactly what I said Shippo did. I did exactly what I said Kagome did. Isn't that sad! My bro is a game freak!