InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Chain Of Letters ❯ Rookie ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Dear Warde,
 
There are so many things a person can accomplish in life. Yet it seems that some accomplishments must be huge and life changing for people to even notice them. People have their hearts and eyes set on the bigger picture. For a killer, the bigger picture is the death of his victim. They don't notice how cunning they become, how easily they find it to stalk their victims, or how fluid their flow of manipulation is. These are minor accomplishments, things that are impressive to most people, but not significant to the person who is doing it. Why? Because killing is an art.
 
You don't care about anything else until the painting is complete.
 
XXX
 
HATCHET”
 
Inuyasha opened his eyes and sat up, sweat pouring down his face and neck as he kicked his sheets off him. He looked down, seeing that he wore a plain white shirt and pants, his feet bare.
 
He panicked, jumping off the bed and onto his feet, getting into a fighting stance. The lights were off, the moonlight from a single window his only friend.
 
His ears twitched, following sounds that only he could hear. He screamed, turned to his left and kicked out, hitting nothing but air. Jumping back, he punched in front of him, then ducked and jabbed to his left again. His leg did a clean sweep across the floor, a technique used to knock people off their feet. He screamed again, back flipped and turned, continuing to fight the air.
 
“Get away from me!” he shouted, kicking and finally hitting something solid. He turned and attacked it, sweat pouring off him as he punched and kicked. His body began to ache in pain but he knew he was winning because his attacker wasn't striking back.
 
“You bastard!” he yelled punching so hard he heard a crack. He winced and recoiled, cradling his left hand as he kicked out against the solid object and fell, suddenly unbalanced.
 
He pulled his right arm over his face and curled into a ball, trying to protect himself from the attack that was going to come…
 
Nothing.
 
He looked up, eyes roaming the room. They were all around him…staring at him.
 
“KILL ME!” he shouted, sitting up, his left hand in his lap. His entire body shook as he stared at his enemies.
They were everywhere.
 
“What are you waiting for?” he asked, his voice growing quieter. He put his face in his right hand. “I deserve to die,”
 
He suddenly felt something in his left hand. He looked down, his eyes wide. The gun. The one he shot Larkin with…
 
He screamed and threw it away from him, crawling back from it and into the legs of one of his enemies. He looked up, only to have the barrel of a gun placed right between his eyes.
 
“You,” he whispered.
 
The man smiled.
 
“Blood bringer,”
 
The man then scowled and shot.
 
A door from the room opened, and light poured into the room, bright and harsh against Inuyasha's eyes, as he winced and shielded them.
 
“You're not supposed to be up,” said a man from the door, the light from behind him making him appear as a long shadow.
 
For some reason, Inuyasha wasn't afraid. “They were killing me,” he said simply, still sitting on the floor. “Do you believe me yet?”
 
“No, Inuyasha,” the man said and walked over, grabbing him by his right arm and hauling him up. He made Inuyasha sit on the bed, gently grabbing his left hand.
 
“You broke it again,” the man didn't sound surprised or concerned. “Don't sleep on it if you want it to heal right,”
 
Inuyasha pulled it away and laid on the bed, turning his back towards the new comer. “I had to use it. I promised I'd kill my enemies with the same hand I killed my friend,” he snapped. “Now go away,”
 
The man said nothing at first. He sighed and laid a hand on Inuyasha's shoulder. “I hate keeping you here,” he said.
 
The room he was in was small; the only thing inside was the bed. The window was tiny and high up, on the wall behind, while the door was in front. About two feet right of the bed was a wall with many cracks in it.
 
Inuyasha's solid enemy.
 
The man sighed again and turned, walking to the door.
 
“I'm not insane,” Inuyasha said, not moving from his position on the bed.
 
“I know,” the man said. “You just need time,” he closed the door, leaving Inuyasha in the dark again.
 
After a while Inuyasha sat up again and looked around his tiny cell. They were back again, thousands and thousands of killers, all by his bedside…all of them staring at him.
 
“Time,” Inuyasha repeated, looking into all of their faces. “I need time…to kill each and every one of you,”
 
XXX
 
Two years later…
 
There was one thing in the entire world that Inuyasha could not stand. It pissed him off to the fullest extent and turned him from a cocky, yet good guy, into a complete asshole.
 
Rookies.
 
Inuyasha despised rookies.
 
The lacked skills, but never ran out of questions. They were slow, stupid, and most annoyingly, they were easily frightened.
 
“A rookie,” Inuyasha said as he walked out of the elevator, Koji right behind him. “One man dead, another crippled for life, and Naraku gives us some green to work with for finding out who did this shit,”
 
“He can't be that bad, Naraku wouldn't give us an innocent. He knows for sure blood is being spilled here.” Koji said as he took a seat in the lobby. They had been told that they would meet their temporary partner there.
 
Inuyasha paced, angry as ever. “He's a fucking kid! Did you read his file? Top of the class in college,” Inuyasha snorted, “ If you end up being a killer you weren't top of the class in college,”
 
Koji smiled, “You're proof.”
 
“Fuck you,” was the automatic reply as Inuyasha continued his angered pace. “He's probably peppy, and optimistic, and-” Inuyasha jumped and turned towards Koji, snapping his fingers “He's a virgin!”
 
“Shut up,” Koji said and rolled his eyes. “And the kid's just gonna be our little maid. Remember Inuyasha; we haven't found our man yet. We're still checking out our enemies, and we have thousands-”
 
“We should just kill them all,” Inuyasha mumbled. “I already did once,”
 
Koji raised an eyebrow. “How bad do you want to go back to Solitude?”
 
Inuyasha shut up.
 
“Yeah I thought so,” Koji said and rose from his seat. He put a hand on Inuyasha's shoulder. “ Even if we find our target today, you know we're waiting for Lee,”
 
“I know,”
 
“And that we won't just be taking down one man, but his entire operation, family, business, even his closest friends. Everything around this guy is going to burn to ashes in front of his eyes…then he dies,” Koji said.
 
Inuyasha smiled. “I know,” he whispered.
 
“Whoever he is, he'll suffer for the pain he caused us all. We're not alone. Naraku is searching for any trace he can find.”
 
Inuyasha shook his head. “We gave him everything,” he said and kicked a nearby table. The vase filled with flowers on top shook but didn't fall. “Empty shells we found from the scene of the attack, fingerprints that were discovered - these guys were sloppy. He should have found them by now.”
 
Koji smirked. “A lot of people have been killed in that alley. They don't call it Dead Man's Walk for nothin' you know. Remember how many times that same place was on the news? Drugs, rape, robberies, that place is a magnet for crime. It was our mistake; it was placed under restriction for over six years.”
 
“That's why it doesn't make sense!” Inuyasha cried. “Naraku should have-”
 
“Um. Excuse me?”
 
They both looked to their left.
 
“No,” Inuyasha said. “Oh no,”
 
A young boy smiled at them both, “I'm Hojo. Pleasure to meet you.”
 
Inuyasha glared.
 
Koji smiled and shook hands with him. “I'm Koji, and this here is my friend Inuyasha.”
 
Inuyasha snorted and eyed Hojo up and down. “Rookies,” he mumbled and turned away, walking out the lobby.
 
Koji sighed and shook his head. “Excuse him, he's on his period.”
 
“Hojo laughed nervously, his expression clearly confused. “Um, Okay…well anyway I was wondering if you knew--”
 
“Yeah yeah, we know already. C'mon let's go before Inuyasha decides to leave us.” Koji said and began walking out. Hojo paused, opened his mouth to say something but then shut it and decided to followed suit.
 
Outside Inuyasha was already sitting in a car, a mini SUV, silver, with no license plates. He looked at Koji as he climbed in the passenger's seat and glared at Hojo, as the boy paused outside the car door. Koji rolled down his window and looked at the boy.
 
“Something wrong?”
 
“Why are we-”
 
“Get in,” Inuyasha said, turning the car on. “Or get behind because I swear I'll run your ass over.”
 
“But I-”
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes and put the car in reverse, turning around in his seat to back up onto the sidewalk.
 
Hojo, greatly surprised, jumped back as one of the back wheels of the car rolled right his foot had been seconds before.
 
Koji punched Inuyasha in the arm. “Take it easy!” he said and looked at Hojo again. “Look kid, we're in a very big rush to get where we have to go. I know you're new at this but if you just shut your mouth and listen then my buddy here won't be such an ass.”
 
Hojo scratched his head. “But why-”
 
“Do you see why I hate rookies? Always have a question to ask!” Inuyasha growled and put the car in park, undid his seatbelt, and opened the door. He stepped out, closed it, and leaned against the car, his arms crossed on top of the roof as he stared directly at Hojo.
 
“What's you're full name?”
 
“Hojo -”
 
“Yeah, I don't care. Listen, how long you been workin' here?” He asked, making Hojo frown. Inuyasha could tell that the boy didn't like the way he was being treated.
 
Tough shit.
 
“It's my first day and I just need to know--”
 
Inuyasha cut him off with a glare. “Listen rookie, here's how it works. When the boss assigns you your first project, you're always put with someone more experienced. Got that?”
 
Hojo nodded quickly.
 
“In your case, Koji and I are your mentors, your masters, your daddies, whatever you want to call us,” he started to drum his fingers on the car. “You don't ask questions kid, you just shut up and follow directions. Because in the end, every worker has to be assigned a nickname…and guess who gives you the nickname, rookie.”
 
Hojo gulped. “You two?” he asked nervously.
 
“That's right. So if you don't want something stupid like Monkey Bitch then I suggest you shut up and get in the car.”
 
Hojo looked at Koji, who quickly hid his smile with his hand and nodded. Hojo sighed and got into the backseat of the car.
 
Inuyasha got in as well, pulling his seatbelt on. As they drove off, Hojo leaned forward and tapped Koji on his shoulder.
 
“I'm trying not to put this in the form of a question,” he whispered. “Tell me you're nickname…please,”
 
Koji smiled. “Scythe.”
 
Hojo nodded. He wanted something cool like that. “And Inuyasha's?”
 
“Hey Monkey Bitch, what did I say about asking questions?” Inuyasha asked.
 
Hojo sat back, a thin line of sweat forming on his forehead. “Sorry,” he mumbled, pulling on his seatbelt.
 
To Inuyasha's enjoyment, he was quiet for the rest of the ride.
 
XXX
 
Mr. Higurashi considered himself to be a fair man. He saw little reason for change in his life, and he didn't feel that he was missing out or lacking adventures.
 
He'd already gone through his mid-life crisis, bought himself and his kids a couple of overly expensive gifts, paid them off within a month, made his company a multi-billion dollar corporation, and then doubled his yearly salary and net worth just to make himself feel good. `Life kicked ass' that was his motto. Sure this made him seem eccentric and unorthodox but he thought that for a 40 year old he was pretty normal.
 
“You may go in now,”
 
Mr. Higurashi snapped out of his thoughts. “Say what now?”
 
The secretary glared, putting down her coffee mug. “You may go in.”
 
“Ah, thank you my dear,” he said and stood, walking over to her desk. For the first time he took a good look at the girl.
 
Blonde hair
 
`Probably bleached.'
 
Red long nails.
 
`Press on'
 
Big breasts.
 
`Whoa, those look-' he leaned in for a closer look.
 
The girl cleared her throat loudly. “He's waiting…now,”
 
Mr. Higurashi smiled and nodded. “Right. Sorry…what are those? Milk? Silicon?”
 
“NOW!”
 
“Right, sorry.” He said with a broad smile, turned in the direction of the door and went in. Quickly he came back out. “Who wants to see me again?”
 
The secretary stared in disbelief and annoyance. “Mr. Myosin.”
 
“And he would be…”
 
“Your business partner.” She finished for him and turned away, pulling out a file for her nails.
“Well then,” Mr. Higurashi said and stood up straight. “Tell him I'm here.”
 
The secretary sighed and rolled her eyes, slamming her hands on her desk and standing up. She turned and pointed to the door. “He knows. Get in.”
 
“Are you sur-”
 
“Absolutely!”
 
“All right then,” he shrugged and walked in. “Thank you,”
 
The secretary watched him go in and waited until he closed the door. She sat back down and leaned back, taking up her file and looking at her nails. Now she'd be able to calm down. Men these days! The nerve! He had better not talk to her when he left otherwise she'd just…she'd scream!
 
The door opened and Mr. Higurashi popped his head out. “Excuse me dear would you mind bringing me a cup of coffee? Two sugars, little milk, and a biscuit would be nice. Thank you kitten,”
 
He went back in.
 
The secretary put her face in her hands and screamed.
 
XXX
 
Kagome drummed her fingers against the armrest of the parked car, leaning her head against the window as she watched people walk by. Life was so boring.
 
“What's taking him so long?” she asked as she turned her head towards the driver seat. Koga placed a hand to his ear; pressing in his earphone so he could hear whatever transmission he was listening to better.
 
“Koga, we're in the car. Do you have to wear those glasses?” Kagome asked.
 
He nodded his head at her, looking in the rearview mirror and smiling at himself. The glasses made him look so cool! Like an FBI agent…no! Even better! MIB!
 
“They're part of the uniform, I'd be violating protocol by not wearing them,” he answered and winked…though she couldn't see it due to the glasses.
 
“No they aren't,” she muttered to herself and turned to lean against the window again. “Your just a stuck up, conceited, little bas-OW” she screamed as her seat jerked forward violently, causing her to be thrown forward, only to be pushed back by her seatbelt. She whirled around in her seat.
 
“Souta you little punk, cut it out!”
 
Her younger brother smiled sheepishly, a huge blush on his face. He pulled out an earphone, the same kind that Koga had and put it down. “Sorry, I was surprised…I switched to Koga's frequency and…well…” he blushed more. Kagome turned back around.
 
“Not again!” she said as she snatched Koga's earpiece from him and put it to her own. It only took her a few seconds to realize what she was listening to.
 
“Koga!”
 
He smiled and fumbled to get the car door open.
 
“Porn!” She yelled and threw his piece back at him. “You pervert!”
 
“Hey!” he yelled back. “In my defense it's not really porn! There's no video image and I'm only listening to it! It's not like I'm jer-”
 
“Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!” Kagome slapped her hands over her ears as Souta's nose began to bleed due to embarrassment.
 
“Hey, c'mon now!” Koga said, trying to calm them down. “Sex and masturbation is perfectly normal to do and talk about-”
 
Souta passed out.
 
SHUT UP!”
 
Kagome saw Souta and shook her head, putting her hands down and opening the car door.
 
“I am going to get some water and napkins for him, I'll be right back,” she said and eyed Koga up and down. “And stop being pathetic!”
 
“Wait now Kagome!” Koga said as he fumbled to get his seatbelt off and his earpiece back on. “I should go with you,”
 
“Stay here with him!” she shouted. “If he's traumatized I swear I'll have your ass on janitorial duty for a year!”
 
Before he could reply, she slammed the door and walked away from the car, her walk turning to a run as she turned down the block and disappeared behind the corner. As soon as she was sure that she was out of sight she smiled and pulled out a small walkie-talkie.
 
“Thanks Souta, I'll be back in an hour or so. Keep our little watch dog busy for me,” she whispered…a few seconds later her walkie-talkie beeped.
 
“No problem. Just remember our little deal. You do my homework and you give me thirty bucks…and bring me back some chips. Koga's outside, pacing around. I'll keep him hooked by faking sick.” Came Souta's voice from her talkie. She smiled and tucked it in her jeans pocket, pulling a hat out from the other and putting it on her head. Humming, she walked off to explore.
 
Back in the car, Souta was wiping up his fake blood off the leather car seats when Koga popped back in the front.
 
“How'd it go?” he asked.
 
“We've got about an hour before she comes back.”
 
Koga smiled and pulled out his wallet, giving the kid a twenty. “Nice job. The passing out thing was a classic.”
 
Souta took the money and handed Koga a wet rag with the fake blood. “All in a days work. Enjoy your time without my sister breathing down your neck,” he said and tucked the money away, pulling out a Nintendo DS.
 
Koga threw the rag out the window and adjusted his earpiece until he heard the adult sounds of Naughty Nurses 16.
 
“I will,” he mumbled. He pressed a small button on the side of his sunglass frames and the tiny screen built inside them switched on, the audio sounds matching to the video. Koga smiled broadly. “Ooh, sponge bath scene.”
 
XXX
 
The two rooftops that overlooked Dead Man's Walk were at least two to three stories high, a view good enough to see the entire alley in its length. Inuyasha and Koji were both standing on the ledge, looking down in silence.
 
Hojo stood way back, hands across his stomach with his eyes screwed shut.
 
“Um…excuse me?”
 
“Shut up, we're concentrating.” Inuyasha snapped. Both he and Koji closed one eye and, with their right hands, extended their forefinger and thumb, grabbing their wrists with their left hand to make it seem like they were holding guns. Silently they slowly swung their hands left to right across the alley.
 
“They did a sweep,” Inuyasha confirmed. “Remember how many bullets were hitting walls and cans? From this angle that's exactly what you'll hit, especially if it's in the dark.”
 
Koji nodded. “I'd say they were here before the sun set, getting a good position going. As soon as they heard noise they knew the right area. You'd have to bend your wrist to get the right angle and hit concrete…I wouldn't know that if I hadn't seen this place in day.”
 
“So they followed us then. From the restaurant to the pub.” Inuyasha said. He jumped backwards off the ledge. “They were hired.”
 
“Excuse me!” Hojo said again. He looked pale and sweaty.
 
Inuyasha turned on the balls of his heels. “What?”
 
“I don't feel so well,” he said.
 
Inuyasha raised an eyebrow. “Really? C'mere kid, let me see you.”
 
Hojo turned even paler. “I'd rather stay back here.”
 
Inuyasha scowled. “Monkey Bitch,” he started. Hojo's eyes went wide and he waddled forward, hands still across his stomach, clutching his side. He was close to the edge, but not close enough to see over it, which made his breathing heavy.
 
“Your afraid of heights?” Inuyasha asked, looking at the ledge and back at Hojo.
 
Hojo nodded quickly. Inuyasha grinned. “Stand on the ledge.”
 
Koji turned and jumped off as well. “Man leave the kid alone,” he said rolling his eyes. “He's a bit of a pussy anyway, he'll get reassigned.”
 
Inuyasha's smile grew wider. He roughly patted Hojo on the back, making the boy clench his eyes shut, his stomach growing more upset. “I'm here to help you get over your fears,” he said sweetly. “I used to have the same problem-”
 
“Bullshit,” Koji cut him off. “You practically lived in trees taller than this building.”
 
Inuyasha ignored him. “Once you look down, you'll be fine.” He said with a smile too wide for his face. “Trust me.”
 
Hojo looked up at him and hesitated.
 
Inuyasha sighed and pushed him, knocking him forward. He screamed and fell to his knees, and fell over until his stomach slapped against the ledge and his head bent over the side. Immediately he lost his lunch.
“Aw, dude! Nasty!” Koji moved away.
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “Stupid green's.” he muttered. He shoved his hands in his pocket and placed a foot on Hojo's back, pressing his weight on him. “Hurry the fuck up,”
 
While Inuyasha was bullying Hojo, Koji was concentrating again. He walked along the ledge, looking down first at the alley then at the concrete on the roof. It was dark that night and police, ambulance, and Naraku's back up were at the scene in less than twenty minutes…Hard to collect all evidence when your in that much of a rush…he jumped and turned his body the opposite way on the ledge, walking back. This time he stared directly at the rooftop.
 
No one shot from behind the alley, so the casings that they had given in from below were either wrong or too old. They were all up here on this building or on the rooftop over. Both from the way bullets were flying…and if you had to rush then a shell or two must be left behind, he walked very carefully until something caught his eyes. Reaching into his pocket and pulling out a napkin, he got off the ledge and sat on it, bending over to pick up the small and round rusted piece of metal. He held it up to the light.
 
It was an empty shell. A little dulled and rusted from the weather over the past two years but a good enough start. All they had to do was see what kind of bullet was used, match that to the gun, and make a list of all gangs, companies, and securities that used that specific gun in general. Their list had been shortened by perhaps about 300 organizations.
 
“Inuyasha,” Koji called as he wrapped the evidence in the napkin and tucked it in his pocket. “Stop teasing rookie kid, I found something.”
 
Inuyasha looked over and smiled. He was holding Hojo by his feet completely over the edge of the building, leaving the scared boy dangling.
 
“About time,” he said, and began to pull the boy up, back onto the rooftop.
 
XXX
 
There are so many things a person can accomplish in life. Though some accomplishments aren't ones to be proud of. Those are the ones that are hardly noticed. Managing to cheat a co-worker out of a promotion for yourself, learning how to establish and get away with lies, these are things people do yet they don't notice the weight of the wrongness. Killing, taking a life, is probably has the most ignorant consequences ever. If you get away with it, you develop the taste to harm and kill others. If you are caught, you are only afraid of your punishment.
 
Everyone has been wronged in his or her life. Somewhere along the way someone has cheated or hurt him or her…but to die, no man or woman can comprehend the feeling. No one can know what it's like to lose their own life, save for the dead. For if one were to experience death and be able to tell the tale, then I truly believe that there would never be a murder ever again. It takes a certain level for a killer to truly understand what he does is wrong. A killer must die and come back just to know that what he has done is wrong…and to realize the kind of monster he has become.