InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ Chance Ecounter ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: If you want a disclaimer, then go back and read the last one. I'm not in the mood. We all know I don't own him.
 
AN: ^_^ I'm surprised you're interested in my being-planned story! And NO, it won't make me stop writing this story. Fair enough? Good.
 
~reviewers~
New fic... eh, why not? I'll bite, what's the summary? And Wordy-MacWord on what you said about Kaede. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks she's a twisted old crone who isn't as smart as she thinks she is. Once again, loved the Inuyasha/Kagome interactions, especially the paranoia about the groping. But how can the girl who fell for the Bird-flu story be diabolical enough to blackmail Inuyasha with his food? I'd think she was pretending to be gullible in order to get more time with Inuyasha if she hadn't played the "Kaede will get mad" card. The only complaint I have is that confining Inuyasha to his room has taken something away from the story. Lately it seems as if the chapters are only conversations. And while the dialogue is good, it sort of feels like nothing's happening. Maybe go outside Inuyasha's room and follow Kagome and the others, after the one question game. You have an interesting setting, use it. Give Inuyasha something to do besides sleep and talk to Kagome. I dunno, maybe he can try to MacGuyver a fake bomb or harrass Kaede by pretending to have a crush. (I'm thinking Veronica Mars with the heart-shaped picture of the vice-principal in her locker here. Watch the first episode of Veronica Mars to get my meaning) There hasn't been any real advancement (just little nuggets of info here and there) and it seems like you have a bunch of filler chapters in a row. It reminds me of Buffy season 2 (as most things do) where it was awesome, and Angel was evil, Buffy was dealing with it, the shit was hitting the fan, then in the middle of that they had the episode where the members of the swim team were turning into fish. What I'm trying to say is, more "Angel trying to destroy the world with a statue, less people turning into fish" chapters.
Glad you're interested in my new fic. Kagome. . . she's just. . .well, I guess she is kinda gullible. Keep that on the `down low.' I'm sorry you feel that way. I guess in a way I feel like that, too. So. . . I dedicate this chapter to you. My most loyal reviewer. ^_^ Enjoy this chapter. It's more than Inuyasha being confined to his room - for once.
 
 
AGE:
InuYasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Keade: 65
 
A Dark Past
-
 
-
 
Chapter Twelve: Chance Encounter
 
-
 
-
 
He probably wouldn't appreciate it, but she felt it was the right thing to do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
There was a bounce in Kagome's step when she opened the door and walked in with another tray to give to Inuyasha. She was the bearer good news!
 
The hanyou was lying on his bed with his arms folded under his head.
 
“Hey.”
 
Inuyasha made no move to reply to the cheerful voice.
 
“I got really good news.” Kagome beamed.
 
There was a slight pause before he answered, “Miroku finally died. . .?”
 
“NO!” Kagome gasped. “That's no good news.”
 
“Says you,” Inuyasha mumbled.
 
“Did you like going outside? I mean before you came here?”
 
“Yeah. . .” he tentatively replied. “Where you goin' with this?”
 
Kagome didn't answer but grabbed his hand and pulled him after her. He could have easily stopped her with his demonic strength and go back, so she was surprised when he didn't struggle.
 
She had unlocked and opened the door to the hallway when he decided to speak up, “Where are we going?”
 
“Somewhere. . . ”
 
Inuyasha arched and eyebrow but didn't further question her.
 
She had walked through the hall around the cafeteria and to the front of the building. After only about a minute they had come to the main entrance.
 
“It's a really nice day.”
 
“Hey, are you going to tell me where we're going?”
 
Kagome smiled at him. “We're going outside for a few hours. I can even grab you a lunch from a fast-food restaurant.”
 
She continued on and trekked out the doors into the warm atmosphere. “I guess you get used to air-conditioning,” she murmured when she felt the humid air on her skin.
 
“How come you can suddenly take me outside? Doesn't the old hag know about this?”
 
“Yes, and you shouldn't call her old hag. That's worse than wench.”
 
“Keh, says you, wench.”
 
Kagome sighed, exasperated. “Let's go. My car is over here.”
 
“Car?”
 
“Yeah, we're going out; why not a car?”
 
“We're leaving? Leaving here?”
 
“Yeah,” Kagome answered slowly. “That's what I already told you.”
 
He seemed a bit shocked but tried to hide it. “K-keh, whatever.”
 
She smiled and pulled out her keys to click a button, making the car beep as it unlocked. “Get in.”
 
Inuyasha complied and opened the door to the red Lamborghini.
 
“How long have you had this car?”
 
Kagome paused a moment, the key hovering right next to the ignition. “Only a few months. It was a graduation present from my family.”
 
“Oh.”
 
There was a silence as she started the car, backed out, and smoothly exited the parking lot.
 
“My brother can't wait to graduate now. He says he wants a limousine when he graduates.” She smiled slightly. “He's so little. I remember when I was as young as him.”
 
“As young as him? How much older are you?”
 
“I'm six years his elder,” she answered, readjusting the rear-view mirror.
 
`Six years? Wow. . .'
 
“So where are we going?”
 
“I won't answer that until we get there. It's surprise.”
 
Inuyasha mentally groaned.
 
“Well, we're almost there, so there's no reason to look so beaten.” Kagome giggled.
 
“I don't' look beaten,” Inuyasha huffed.
 
“Says the moping dog.”
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes before turning to look out his window. “Whatever.”
 
“I win,” Kagome whispered to herself. Inuyasha, ears as sharp as ever, whirled to face her.
 
“You win what?”
 
Kagome's face was puzzled and she shrugged. “I don't know, really. I just feel that I won something.”
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes and once again fixed his gaze on the window. “Stupid wench.”
 
“Hey,” Kagome bit out, “I said you could call me wench, not stupid.”
 
“Merely stating the facts.”
 
Kagome sighed before pulling on her turning signal. After the traffic turned to her favor, she turned the steering wheel and continued down the rocky path.
 
“Where are we?”
 
“You'll see.”
 
As she reached the end, she turned into a parking spot and shut off the car.
 
“There,” she sighed.
 
“You took me to a- - - we're at a- - - what the- - -?”
 
“Don't even think about trying to steal my car and go back.” Kagome eyed him warningly.
 
“A- a- a- a park?”
 
“Not a park. There's going to be a small carnival on the other side.”
 
“A carnival? A carnival? What goes on inside women's heads?”
 
Kagome smiled and opened her door. “Come on, let's go get our tickets.” She stood up and Inuyasha rolled his eyes one final time before doing the same.
 
Kagome looked around to adjust to her settings before happily stating, “I think it's over there.” She didn't wait for a reply, but walked off. Inuyasha followed, much resembling a lap-dog.
 
When they reached the wooden gate that separated the low-cut grass field and the park, it was obvious something was about with all the amusement rides and stands.
 
“You're kidding me.” Inuyasha sighed in exasperation.
 
“This will be fun!” Kagome restrained herself from jumping up and down with excitement.
 
`She's enjoying this. Thoroughly enjoying this. She seems. . . different. . . from her.'
 
“Look!” Kagome squealed. “They have games and cotton candy!” She clapped her hands in excitement before grabbing Inuyasha and tugging him after her.
 
She briefly stopped at a small booth and purchased two wrist bands. “Here, put this on.”
 
Inuyasha looked down at the paper. “You're kidding, right?”
 
“No, you need it on to go in.”
 
“Then I ain't going in,” Inuyasha shoved her hand away.
 
Kagome paused before taking the wristband apart and smiling. “Hey, why don't we get a cotton candy?”
 
Inuyasha eyed her before replying. “Okay.”
 
“You can go first.”
 
Suspicious, he slowly started forward. He had barely taken two steps, with Kagome behind him, when she leapt and hurriedly wrapped the paper around his wrist. “There we go.”
 
The hanyou was momentarily shocked. “You- you- I'm ripping this thing off.”
 
“No!” Kagome grabbed his hand. “Please don't; what does it matter? It's already on.”
 
“It's girly,” he retorted.
 
“Everyone has to wear them.”
 
Inuyasha grumbled before he mumbled, “Fine.”
 
Kagome beamed. “Now let's go get that cotton candy.”
 
She bounced away like a five-year-old and Inuyasha couldn't help but smirk at her antics.
 
`This might be fun.'
 
*
 
*
 
“Inuyasha! Wasn't that thing the best?”
 
The hanyou made a face. “That was stupid. I told you that ride was for little kids.”
 
“It was still fun,” Kagome retorted.
 
Inuyasha sighed before a thought struck him and he gave her a suspicious look. “Kaede is a little paranoid.”
 
Kagome looked confused. “Yeah?”
 
“So, why is she letting us go outside like this?”
 
“Oh! Well- uh- you see. After this I was going to take you to lunch.”
 
“Uh-huh. . .”
 
“And- and- you'll find out.” she said quickly. “But now I'm going to go get a soda. Do you want one?”
 
“Sure.”
 
Kagome was taken aback. He wanted one? She smiled, ecstatic. “I'll be right back. Stay here.”
 
She walked away and Inuyasha leaned back against the wall of a nerby building. He lazily allowed his eyes to droop - the heat always made him tired.
 
However, he snapped wide awake when a familiar scent assaulted his nose.
 
Only one thought ran through his head: `No. . .'
 
He looked around to try and find the source; desperate to keep away. While he whirled around, that very person seemed to sneak up on him.
 
“Inu-kun?”
 
Inwardly jumping, he turned and snapped to the person, “Just what the hell are you doing here?”
 
The girl flinched at the vehemence in his tone. “I- I was merely here to have some fun. I- I am blessed to have run into you like this. I- I am sorry if I upset you.” She fell to her knees when her legs buckled with her hands rubbing her eyes. “I'm so sorry. It was a mistake. I'm sorry. I'm sorry! Will you ever forgive me? Can we be friends?” She was simply sobbing now, putting on a small display for any passersby.
 
No matter how cold and mean he wanted to be, he didn't like crying girls. Sighing, he muttered bitterly, “It's alright.”
 
“No! No, it's not! It's- I- I'm sorry!”
 
He stood there as her tears overflowed and finally stopped. He watched as she gave dry-air hiccups.
 
“It's really okay,” he said in a softer tone, though not too soft, since he knew that it would never be truly okay.
 
Inuyasha knelt down beside the distraught girl. “It's in the past. There's no reason to be like this. It's over and done with. Though no matter how hard you try, you can't change anything. A mistake; that's what you made.” `One that really screwed thing up, but a mistake, non-the-less,' he mentally added.
 
He could hear Kagome calling him through the thickening crowd. “I need to go now.”
 
He stood and turned.
 
And she watched as he walked away, trying to stop another, fresh onslaught of tears.
 
*
 
“Who was that? I thought I saw someone with you.”
 
Inuyasha shook his head. “No one.”
 
Kagome stopped a brief second to look Inuyasha in the eye. After a pause, she replied, “Okay.”
 
Making sure to remain as stoic looking as possible, he didn't even turn around once as thoughts filled his head. `Farewell. . . Kikyou.'
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------
 
Wow. That's all I can say. Wow.
 
Kikyo.
 
Bet you all knew that from the beginning. So. . . review and tell me what you think!
 
Ja ne.