InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ Secret's Out ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: So, as we all know, I own the whole Inu cast. *smiles blissfully, cradling copyright of Inu and co* *Knock on door* who could that–? *opens door, sees police officer* Hello?
::Police:: I'm going to have to arrest you.
Why?
::Police:: I have no idea how you got those ownership papers . . .
Oh?
::Police:: Yes, and I need to get some myself, and as such, I need to be your apprentice. *police gets on knees, head inclined*
Oh?! *grins a bit evilly* Come, my pet, we have work to do . . . *evil laugh*
Tiffany: Oh god she's gonna take over the world now.

A/N: So, I hope you like this chapter. Oh, and I'm only going to warn you once: enter only if you don't mind fluff, as this chapter contains quite a bit of it . . .

AGE:
InuYasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Keade: 65

A Dark Past

-

-
Chapter Thirty: Secret's Out

-

-
“Here we go,” he murmured. He always hated this so much more than most. . .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ ~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inuyasha padded over to his bed. The sun had long since sunk. Inuyasha wasn't going to be able to sleep at all tonight, he already knew it. He flopped onto his bed and stared up at the ceiling through the darkness of the room.

He actually found himself wishing for the company of someone else.

`I wish Kagome was here. . .'

He blinked. Where did that thought come from?

His nose wrinkled. He'd really been spending too much time with her lately. . . and he'd been getting too close for comfort.

`You'd think I'd learned my lesson. . .'

Since he had nothing else to do, Inuyasha sat in his dark room thinking, ready to do so the whole night since he had nothing better to do.

*

*

Kagome was just leaning against the wall beside Inuyasha's door.

`Why did he tell me not to come back?'

Maybe he really was just tired. . . it was a possibility. But the way he seemed anxious for her to get out of there was a bit. . . odd.

Kagome turned her gaze to the heavy, reinforced door. She wanted to waltz in and demand to know what was wrong with Inuyasha, but another part told her to respect his privacy.

But. . . what if he wanted company?

What if he was hurt?

What if this was one of his secrets?

Kagome blinked. `Secrets?'

That must be it. . . he was hiding something from her. A wave a anger washed over her, and before she could stop to think about what she was doing, Kagome unlocked the door, opened it, turned on a light, and made her way over to the lump under the large blanket.

Frowning, Kagome threw the quilt back

She was a bit. . . surprised to see the boy looking back at her.

“Inu. . . yasha?” she murmured.

The boy in the bed had his eyes closed in a rest. Suddenly, they snapped open to reveal violet orbs. Instead of long, silver hair, she saw long, dark hair. . .

Who was this is Inuyasha's room?

“Um. . . sorry for intruding, but who- - -?”

“Idiot!” the boy hissed to her. Even his voice sounded like Inuyasha's. . .

“Excuse me?”

“I told you not to come in here! I told you to stay away tonight!”

Kagome merely blinked dumbly at him. “Wait. . . Inuyasha?”

“No shit! Who'd you think it was?”

“But. . . but your hair. . . your eyes. . . your ears are gone.”

Inuyasha sighed as he sat up and leaned against the wall. “Suppose there's no point in hiding it anymore. . .”

Kagome merely stared. “What are you talking about?”

“You know I'm hanyou. Well, every half-demon has a time of weakness, when they lose their demonic strength. Mine is the night of the new moon.”

“Every hanyou does?”

“Every single one.”

Kagome mutely nodded. “Oh. . . why wouldn't you tell me earlier? This is that secret you were hiding from me, isn't it?”

“Keh! You think I enjoy being this weak? My senses are dulled, my ears are gone, my nose just went out and died.”

“It must be hard,” she said in a small voice. Inuyasha looked up at her, confused.

“What do you mean?”

“It must be hard having to hide every month on this night. Having to be alone for a whole night when you're feeling so exposed.”

Inuyasha shrugged. “I s'pose. . .”

“Alright then, it's decided.”

His dark eyes met hers in a confused stare. “What the hell does that mean?”

“I'm going to stay with you tonight. That way, you aren't alone.”

“Keh!” Inuyasha huffed. “I can take care of myself.”

Kagome rolled her eyes. “I'm not saying you can't, but you've got to get lonely.”

“Not really, I'm used to being alone.”

“That's also not good. Another reason why I'm staying with you.”

Knowing that fighting with her would be futile, he huffed. “Suit yourself, wench.”

Kagome sat on the edge of the bed.

“What do you want to do?”

“Sit and think.”

“That's boring,” Kagome pointed out.

“That's fine with me.”

“How about we talk, instead?”

“Isn't that what we're doing?”

“I mean talk about things that you want to talk about.”

“I hate this place.”

Kagome rolled her eyes. “I gathered that.”

“Then there's nothing else to talk about.”

Kagome pouted before she thought of something that might get him talking a little. “Hey, I'm your girlfriend; you have to tell me something.”

Inuyasha rolled his eyes and sighed. “What do you want to talk about?”

Kagome smiled. “Oh, anything.”

“Like?”

Kagome thought about that before frowning. “Do you trust me?”

Inuyasha gave her a look. “I guess; I mean, I sorta have to.”

Kagome sighed and kneaded her lip. “Do you trust me enough to tell me what happened to you?”

Inuyasha visibly tensed.

There was a long, silent pause.

Finally, Inuyasha broke it. His voice was tight, but still friendly. “Kagome, I will tell you. . . just. . . not tonight.”

Kagome nodded mutely. “I understand. Of course I understand.” Feeling mentally vulnerable was hard enough, but feeling mentally vulnerable and physically was too much to force on Inuyasha. “We'll talk about something else.”

“Like what?”

“Um. . . well, we'll talk about our childhood.”

“. . . What?”

“Yeah, it'll be fun.”

Inuyasha looked away. “No, I ain't doing it.”

“Then what do you want to do?”

He shrugged and grumbled, “I `un know.”

Kagome sighed in exasperation. “Then how about we talk about past relationships?”

“What?”
“You know, I talk about my relationship with Hojo and you talk about you and Kikyo.”

Inuyasha was about to refuse when he thought about something.

`Wait a second. . . she'll talk about her relationship with Hoho. . . Maybe I can get her to tell me whether or not she really liked him.'

He sighed, making it look like he was reluctant. “Fine.”

“Okay. . . um, I'll go first.”

“Keh, I wasn't going to have it any other way,” he informed her.

She rolled her eyes. “I met him just a little while ago in my last year of school. He was. . . interesting, I have to say.”

“Interesting, how?”
Kagome thought about that, measuring her words when she answered. “He was. . . very. . . unique. He was a charmer, of course, and a little dense when it came to women.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, that's why it didn't work. He was too. . . innocent. He was the polite, Prince Charming that every girl wanted because he'd always be giving you flowers, complimenting you, and offering to do some random, nice things.”

“Like what?”

Kagome shrugged. “Like offering to carry my books, my back pack, give me notes when I was sick, always paying for our dates, and things like that.”

Inuyasha felt something hot in his stomach. “Oh?”

“Yeah, he was kinda cute, too.”

And it seemed to grow hotter every second. . . and growled that he needed to kill this Hobo-guy that touched Kagome. . .

Kagome smiled wistfully. “Sometimes I find myself thinking that I shouldn't have broken up with him and that he was the perfect guy for me.”

He refused to think the thing in him was a little. . . actually, a monstrous case of jealousy.
He failed.

“But then I remember how many times I saw we had huge differences. And a sweet, charming, innocent guy isn't going to be what I need. Every girl needs a guy whose there to have a shoulder for her when she cries, screams with her when she's angry, and laughs when she's happy.”

`I'd do that for you,' he wanted to tell her, but brought himself back to reality himself, shaking himself mentally. `Just kidding!' he tried to convince himself.

He failed again.

“So, I had to end our relationship. He wasn't going to do that. . . he'd panic if I ever got angry or sad or anything. He can only handle girls when they're happy. He wouldn't. . . well, as my mother said, he wouldn't take proper care of me, so. . . I stopped seeing him. . . completely.” She smiled sadly at the end. “He would've made a good friend, but I haven't seen him since I graduated.”

“Oh. . .” `I might just actually kill him now. . .'

“Your turn.”

“Oh? Oh, wait, right. Well, I met Kikyo when I was little. She was my best. . .” Inuyasha stopped, as though he realized something and shook his head. “No, she was my only friend at that time. And as such, I was very protective of her.”

“I'd guess so.”

“When we started high school, she got really clingy and decided we were going to go out. . . she didn't give me much choice in the matter. I was going to tell her no when she started to cry. . . so I had to comply to her wishes.” He rolled his eyes at the memory. “She always did seem to find a way to get her way,” he mumbled before continuing. “Well, anyway, I started to date her. . . I think it was more `dating' on her part than mine. . . I looked at it as a do-it-or-you'll-make her-cry thing, and she looked at as a he-likes-me-and-wants-to-date-me thing. Besides,” he shrugged, “I didn't really think I like-liked her that way, but she was probably the most precious person in the world to me. So I guess I also did it to see if maybe I did like her. . .”

He grimaced. “Sometimes I wish I could re-live the past and change some things. Had I not started dating her. . .” he drifted off, closing his eyes and shaking his head as his mind re-lived a memory that must not have been a good, happy one.

Kagome cleared her throat, bringing him back to the present. “Is there more?” she asked gently.

“It wasn't long before she was talking about marriage, kids, and things like that. She started talking about mating, things she didn't truly understand. I told her over and over again that she didn't know what she was talking about and tried to tell her that youkai mating was for life. But every time, she waved me off and said she already knew. I think she thought `forever' meant as long as she wanted, and when she was done with me, she could leave.” He stopped to roll his eyes. “Sometimes her stupidity was a bit surprising.

“Well, one time, after asking me to propose to her, I snapped and told her forever meant forever-forever. And that I couldn't just go about and mate someone when I was still in high school and in a tight place with work and such. So. . . she told. . . no, I suppose she vowed to do whatever she could to make it easier on me and my job so that we could mate.”

Inuyasha looked out the window before sighing. “Caring about my job more than anything - including her dignity, her pride, and herself - was what brought it all about,” he mumbled.
Kagome swallowed, not sure as to what Inuyasha's words meant. Hesitantly, she asked, “What do you mean. . . it brought it all about?”

Inuyasha didn't answer; his eyes didn't leave the window.

Kagome hadn't really expected an answer. “Inu. . . yasha?”

Inuyasha merely frowned, scowled really, as something flashed through his violet orbs. It wasn't anger, though - more like something he wanted to forget.

“Sometimes,” he whispered - his gaze still on the window, “I wonder, what would've happened to him? What would've happened to her had I not made such a stupid mistake like that?

Kagome cocked her head at him. “Inuyasha? Who are you talking about?” she asked quietly, not wanting to startle him, so that he wouldn't pull away when he was telling her such things. . .
His gaze snapped to her face and his brow rose, as though he realized something. “Hey. . . you look like her. . .” his voice was soft; so soft, Kagome barely heard him.

“Who?”

Inuyasha didn't answer - not that Kagome was really surprised.

Instead, he looked back out the window. The miko sighed before leaning back against the wall, her legs dangling over the side of the bed.

After a few minutes, she murmured, “Inuyasha?”

He slowly blinked. “I have to stay up all night. . .”

Upon hearing that, Kagome sat straight up, alarmed, and glanced at him. She inched her way closer to him before putting her hand in his and lacing their fingers.

Inuyasha jumped, apparently coming out of a daze, and stared at her with a dumb look.
Kagome merely smiled. “You may have to stay up all night since you find the need to, but. . . that doesn't mean you're going to do it alone. I'm going to stay with you, remember? And I'll stay up all night if you want me to.”

Inuyasha narrowed his eyes a fraction of an inch. “Keh! Whatever!”

She sighed, her shoulders slumping, as she let her body fall back against the wall. The moment was over. . .

Somehow, Kagome felt a little hurt that he brushed her off. . . `Stupid me - I should've known he wasn't going to care. I should've- - -'

She managed to give a squeak of surprise when she felt a warm pair of muscular arms go around her shoulders. She was even more surprised when she was pulled against someone's chest.

“Thanks,” Inuyasha murmured into her hair, “you know. . . for staying with me.”

Kagome just blinked in surprise before uttering, “It- It's fine. I just didn't want you to be alone.”
He dropped to his side like a rock, dragging the ever-so-more shocked girl along with him. Kagome felt her heart rate accelerate when she felt the mattress come under her with a thud and Inuyasha didn't let go.

She managed to stay up all night.

She even had decent conversations with him - Inuyasha telling her some hopes, Kagome telling him some of her dreams. . .

But the whole night, Inuyasha didn't once let her go - and wouldn't sit up.

-------------------------------------------------------------- --- ---------------------------------------------------------
(E/N: Hello ya'll!!! I liked this chapter a lot. It made a good end to my vacation. I went to Chicago to see Wicked the musical. Yep so if you liked this chapter I want you to review. Ok well Byez everyone!!!)

Sorry if you hate fluff and started choking . . . But to the rest of you, how was it? I eagerly await your feedback (since I'm still learning how to write this thing called “fluff”).

Oh, and just now I realized something–every single chapter title went in a pattern of 2 words, 4 words etc. (except chapter 5) . . . quite weird, and I had no knowledge of it until now . . . I probably wouldn't even have noticed it had I not been editing last night. But I plan to stop that. =) (If I can.)

And I know that this is a long A/N, but I also want to apologize for not updating in so long. I'll also answer any and all reviewers (from chapter 29 as well as 30) the next time I update since I have no time now and would rather get this out than spend another month doing that.

Thanks for continuing to read, though! I appreciate it!!!

R&R!

Ja ne!