InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ Trust Me ( Chapter 36 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: -shifty eyes- Oh, look! I received a lease of Inuyasha. It's good for—What? You don't believe me? …-looks at lease- No, it's not an electric bill this time…
 
A/N: PEOPLE! Please, allow me to enlighten you: Yes, “the past” is finally coming out. Which means there are going to be long dialogues in this chapter. Please forgive the boringness of it, but it's mostly verbal, kay? Other than that—enjoy! (I'll try to keep this chapter interesting!)
E/N: Oh my god I hate dialogues!!! You, Sayo, are evil but awesome for writing this; I love my Christmas present!!! ~glomps Sayo~ Yay holidays!!!
 
AGE:
InuYasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Kaede: 65
 
A Dark Past
-
 
-
 
Chapter Thirty-Six: Trust Me
-
 
-
 
Perfect.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
 
So. . . this was it. This was it? This was it. After what seemed like forever- - -
 
`Barely a week,' a small voice chipped in from the back of her mind.
 
He was going to tell her!!! It was an amazing feeling to know that he finally trusted her enough to do something like this. . .
 
But. . . not that she was being impatient or anything, but when was he going to start talking? Seriously, now. Kagome had been patiently waiting on the edge of his bed for several long minutes and he had merely sat next to her, frozen, face giving no hints of any emotions, as he stared off at the wall. The nurse was starting to fidget under the suspense.
 
`Think Kikyou did something?' she idly wondered to herself.
 
She answered herself with a snort.
 
Of course she had something to do with this - Inuyasha had told Kagome so himself. But what was something that was a little - actually, a whole hell of a lot - harder to ponder on. She looked as though she venerated Inuyasha. Kagome wasn't sure if she'd be surprised to see Kikyou worship the sheets Inuyasha slept on. So just what could she do to make Inuyasha cut any and all ties he had with her? The dog-boy had also told her that she was one of his most special and cherished friends. . .
 
Oh. . .
 
Wait. . .
 
Had she stalked him and then sold some sort of `inappropriate' pictures of him or plastered them all over the Internet? Had she done both? There was a two second pause before Kagome discarded the idea. It seemed a little out of character for Inuyasha to lock something out of his life for something as trivial as that. . . And Kikyou didn't seem like that kind of person. She seemed incredibly sweet and an over-all pleasant person. But, she had always been told to never judge a book by its cover.
 
“Kikyou was the most important person in my life.”
 
Kagome blinked in surprise before turning her attention to the hanyou, making sure to keep quiet. He was, indeed, placing a lot of trust in her to tell her this and she really didn't want to screw it up.
 
“Was, I suppose, is the key word there.” His eyes drifted shut for a moment and Kagome waited in silence before he continued, “I already told you I know MenouMaru; I already told you about our rocky relationship; I already told you about what I did to him and how he reacted. So I suppose all that's left to tell you is what happened.
 
“I never knew it, but MenouMaru was the `you screw with me, I break you and leave you to crumble' type of guy. So after I pissed him off, he started doing small things at first. Spread rumors, I mean. But there are always rumors, so they just blended in. But then they got worse and I actually got stalked by the rabid paparazzi that were desperate to know if it was true. It didn't bug me at all; I just brushed them off. But about a month later, things started getting worse. Shippou - the runt - I received a note that just plain confused me, saying that someone I knew was hurt. Once I reached the address that was on the letter, I found what they meant. Shippou - Shippou was. . . well, bluntly, he was dead, but, I mean. . . he was tortured. His skin had been sliced almost completely off and his eyes were open and from what I saw of them. . . I wouldn't put it past the bastard if he psychologically tortured the poor kit. I buried him out in the small patch of forest where he had lived - it was the least I could do, you know? After that, I thought maybe he was done. Hell, he had killed someone again and the bastard hadn't left any evidence for me to report it. He had gone insane.
 
“I tried to calm him down, but every time I went tried to apologize, he just sank deeper into his pit. I knew that he would do something, but. . . I'll say this: he sunk fuckin' low. After he found out Kikyou was the most precious person to me, he set it up a deal with Kikyou. He told her he would stop bugging me and he would let the whole thing go by as long as she did one thing - forget about me and mate with him. Of course, Kikyou being the dense girl she can sometimes be, thought he meant it as a one-night thing. So she easily agreed.” The hanyou let out a humorless chuckle. “Afterwards, she came to me, all happy that she had helped me out, but- but she just smelled so much like him, I couldn't take it. It wasn't hard at all to realize what she had done. I. . . kinda went nuts on her. I just started screaming at her and calling her all sorts of things I really shouldn't have. When we both cooled off, I went to her and explained what it all meant - that she permanently belonged to him. He told her to stay away from me or he'd hurt me again, so after a while, our friendship just sorta. . . broke. We haven't seen each other since. After that, MenouMaru kept his promise not to hurt me, but. . . I didn't have anyone else who was really close to me and I really did care about Kikyou, so I grew depressed and took it out on others, which is drastically different from how I usually act. Being the bastard that he is, he made sure to comment to my parents about it.
 
“My father grew even more indifferent to me than he usually was when I started to rebel from him. My mother wasn't sure how to react so she just stayed out of it, but my brother harassed me about it, wanting to pretend to be the loving brother he wasn't and try to `help' me. I think their reactions to the whole thing drove me even further away. They went to Kikyou to see if she knew what was wrong, but all she knew was that MenouMaru and I had been in a fight - she didn't know the details like what happened to Shippou. So all she could tell them was what she had done with MenouMaru. My family assumed things and my mother thought that me losing the `love of my life' made me go into a depression and that I was losing my mind to my sadness. So she shipped me here with some kicking and screaming on my part. I've been here ever since and no one here is doing a damn thing to help me. I'm not insane. I'm not depressed - not anymore. I just want out. But for me to do that, I need to `make progress' and to do that, I would need to tell them what happened. And there's no way in hell I'm doing that. So I've been stuck here.” Inuyasha let out a sigh and let his eyes close, looking as tired as he would if he had just fought a battle against the world.
 
Kagome sat in silence for a long while, letting it all sink in. “So. . . that- that's it? That's what happened?”
 
The hanyou shook his head in confirmation.
 
The nurse blinked before letting her head fall back and a short round of laughter came. Finally stopping her giggles, she turned to Inuyasha, who looked as though he wasn't sure to look insulted, amused, relieved, or laugh with her. “That's it?” Kagome asked finally. Once again, Inuyasha wasn't sure how to react. “I mean, that's why you're not allowed to leave? Because they assumed things and they won't let you go because of it?”
 
He nodded again. “Yeah,” he replied, finally understanding why she found it so laughter-worthy.
 
“You know what, Inuyasha? I'm going to help you get out of here. I promise.”
 
The half-demon winced. “Uh. . . Kagome. About that. . .”
 
The nurse shook her head. “No. I swear I'll help you. No matter what. I can go to Kaede and- - -”
 
“Kagome,” Inuyasha interrupted sharply enough for her to listen. “I- I'm leaving.”
 
There was a pause before, “Wait. What do you mean, `leaving'?”
 
The other let out a sigh, his eyes closing briefly. “Tomorrow. . . my parents are coming home to pick me up - I'm leaving.”
 
There was another pause. Kagome looked as though she wasn't sure whether to protest or congratulate him. It looked like she was resisting the urge to cry.
 
“That's. . . wonderful, Inuyasha!” she finally burst, giving a beautiful ear-to-ear beam. “Wow! That's - well. . . wonderful!” she repeated, at a loss of words. She opened her mouth to say more and shook her head when nothing came to mind. “Wow!” she finally exclaimed again. “I can't believe it. Looks like someone's finally getting out of the looney bin.” Her eyes twinkled with a teasing light.
 
Inuyasha snorted, a little surprised at her reaction. “You're crazy, wench.”
 
“Well,” the nurse began playfully, “I am in a funky farm.”
 
The silver-haired boy looked at her weirdly. “Kagome. . . despite sounding like a hypocrite. . . Isn't saying that, as you would say, `mean'?”
 
She playfully whapped his chest. “Oh, shut-up,” she retaliated fondly.
 
“I will do no such thing. Aren't you usually complaining about how I don't talk enough?”
 
He received a dry look from her. “And when I want you to shut-up, you suddenly find it in you to be a chatter-box. . . Is this just my luck or do you like torturing me?”
 
“Hmm,” Inuyasha hummed, rubbing his chin in thought.
 
“Oh- - -” Kagome stuck her tongue out at him. “You're evil.”
 
“Don't I know it?” Inuyasha agreed.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes, smile still in place before she remembered the time. “We have to get you to lunch,” she mentioned.
 
He looked at her with no amusement. “I think I'll eat in here.”
 
The nurse's smile fell off and she gave him a small glare. “You're leaving tomorrow. Don't you want to eat with your friends on your last day?”
 
Inuyasha didn't waste any time in answering. “I'd actually rather eat in here with you for company.”
 
`I will not blush like a school girl; I will not blush like a school girl; I will not- - -dammit.'
 
The hanyou blinked at the red girl before smirking. “Wow. If I knew that was all it took to get a reaction, I would've said something like that sooner.”
 
“Oh, shut-up,” Kagome grumbled before pausing. “You know, Inuyasha, I really, truly and seriously want you to eat with Kouga and Naraku.”
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “And I was actually serious when I said I wanted to eat with you.”
 
A pink tinge touched the nurse's cheeks again. “Then. . . how about you eat with them for lunch and I promise I'll keep you company for dinner. Besides, if you go to the cafeteria, I don't get to ask you a question,” she teased.
 
Inuyasha sent her a dry look. “Me telling you my past cancels out any more questions you would've asked while I was here - that was some serious shit I told you.”
 
Kagome snorted. “I think not, Inuyasha.” Golden eyes narrowed and Kagome decided to change the topic. “So, you going to the cafeteria or not?”
 
The hanyou tensed. He knew he was going to regret his answer.
 
*
 
*
 
“Dude!”
 
“Hey, man!”
 
“Uwah!”
 
Inuyasha blinked over at Kouga - dialogue one, Naraku - dialogue two, and Jakotsu - dialogue three.
 
The trio - being Naraku, Kouga, and Inuyasha - looked over at the gaily grinning man.
“Can we help you?” the silver hanyou finally asked upon realizing his friends were going to do nothing to communicate with the boy.
 
Jakotsu grinned slowly as he stood and leaned into Inuyasha, his fingers slipping into his long hair. “I know how you can help me,” he answered silkily.
 
Naraku promptly choked on whatever he was drinking and Kouga burst into laughter, doubling over in a vain attempt to hide it. Inuyasha's brow twitched in annoyance at both of them before he turned his attention to the sex-confused man.
 
“I'm a guy,” he bluntly told Jakotsu. The younger man looked up at him and Inuyasha couldn't help but notice he was starting to wear makeup.
 
“I know,” the other purred in response. And before Inuyasha had time to think about it, he was pulled forward and the distance between him and Jakotsu was closed.
 
He immediately tensed against the other man's mouth and his eyes darkened. `This is nothing at all like with Kagome. . . In fact, this is gross.' With that thought, he shoved against the other man and glared, idly wiping his lips off with the side of his index finger.
 
Jakotsu had the audacity to look surprised at being rejected. “Why. . . what's wrong?”
 
Inuyasha pointedly ignored the amused cackling of his youkai as he answered, “I have no interest.”
 
Jakotsu pouted and was about to make a scene when Kaede - Inuyasha never knew he it was possible to feel so grateful for her appearance - stepped in. “What's going on here? Inuyasha, why do you look - er - disturbed? That's not an expression I'm exactly used to seeing on you.”
 
“Aw, shut up, you hag,” he replied before rolling his eyes and plopping into his seat across from Naraku and Kouga.
 
The old woman looked like she wanted to snap that he shouldn't disrespect his elders, but instead gave a weary sigh and turned her attention back to Jakotsu. “Come on, I'll take you to your table.”
 
When she was gone, Kouga broke out into laughter again and Naraku was sporting an amused grin.
 
“And what's so funny?” Inuyasha demanded.
 
“What's not funny about that?” Kouga managed between wheezes. “Oh - oh God - that- that was priceless! I never knew you had an admirer, Inuyasha-chan­.”
 
The hanyou growled, telling the wolf demon that the joke was not amusing. “Just leave it,” he groused.
 
Naraku, who had kept silent, finally spoke. “Why aren't you disturbed by that? Or at least angry? Wasn't that your first kiss? Don't you hate Jakotsu?”
 
Inuyasha tensed. “I don't see why it concerns you,” he snapped. “What's to be disturbed about? He's not mentally stable. He had no idea what he was doing. So why would I be angry about it? He didn't really mean it. And I don't hate Jakotsu, not really. And there's nothing big about losing a first kiss,” he grumbled. Mentally, he added, `At least when it's with Kagome.'
 
It was then that both parties made different realizations.
 
Naraku and Kouga where looking suspiciously at Inuyasha like he was going to up and attack them since he actually answered the questions seriously.
 
Inuyasha was mentally cursing since he realized that his opinion on everyone at the institution had changed drastically. Since when was he so accepting of the mental patients?
 
He took a sharp inhale of breath as the answer sank in: since he met Kagome.
 
`Dammit,' he swore. `I really have changed since I met her.'
 
There was a silence before another thought made its way into his mind. `Was that a good thing?'
 
*
 
*
 
“Er. . . you're brooding.”
 
“I do not `brood,' wench.”
 
Kagome's slender brows rose to hide in her hairline. “Oh? Really? `Cause it looks like that's what you're doing now.”
 
“If you want to know, I'm just thinking up ways to castrate the thing that is called Kouga without him noticing until all is said and done.”
 
The nurse gave him a dry look. “I do hope you are joking.”
 
“Why would I joke about something like that? I've always had fantasies about torturing that bastard in his sleep.”
 
Kagome didn't look impressed. “Psycho,” she grumbled.

“But I'm your psycho,” Inuyasha insisted, playfully waggling his eyebrows.
 
Kagome burst into laughter at that, shaking her head at his adorable immaturity before a thought struck her and she paused mid-giggle. `Wait a second. . . Did he just call himself mine?' She snuck a glance in his direction and noted that he didn't look any different - he didn't look like he meant anything by the comment. Had he meant that seriously? She resisted the urge to puff out her cheeks in exasperation. She could never tell with Inuyasha.
 
After a few seconds, she opted that he didn't mean anything by it and that her mind needed to stop assuming things and that not everything was an innuendo.
 
Though. . . she was a little surprised to note that she didn't necessarily mind the thought of Inuyasha being hers. Abruptly, her eyes widened and she shook her head. That wasn't something she was to be thinking. Inuyasha was a patient at a mental hospital that she worked in as a nurse. She was not to be thinking anything like that about her charge.
 
She mentally cursed her body for not listening to her common sense as her cheeks starting tingling in a hot blush. Shaking fingers rose to brush over the heated skin in slight wonder.
 
Since when did Inuyasha have such an effect on her? Since when did the mere thought of him force butterflies into her lower abdomen? And since when did he always look so incredibly adorable all the time?
 
“Keh. Wench. Why the hell are you lookin' like a tomato?” A silver eyebrow rose in question.
 
Kagome gave him a half-hearted glare and let out a shaky breath. Trust the idiot to go and ruin her musings.
 
“Geez, it must be hotter in here than I thought,” she lied, tugging on the collar of her shirt as she used her other hand to fan her heated face.
 
And darn it, since when did he look at her like that?
 
“Are you okay?” he asked slowly, drawing the syllables out like they were part of a foreign language.
 
Latching onto the change of topic, Kagome grinned at him and teased, “Oh, heavens. Did the Inuyasha Takahasha just show that he cared about someone else?”
 
The hanyou huffed. “Forget it, then! See if I ever ask you anything like that again!”
 
The nursed laughed as her charge pouted. “Aw, did I hurt da wittle hanwou's feewings? Dids I? Dids I?”
 
Inuyasha gave her a scathing look. “Do not talk like that, wench. I am not a child.”
 
Kagome wrinkled her nose as she shifted to settle into the bed more comfortably. She blew a stray lock of ebony hair out of her eyes before turning back to Inuyasha. “So. . .” she drawled.
 
He quirked a brow. “So?” he repeated in the same manner.
 
“So. . . um. . . this is your last full day here?” she finally murmured, unable to think of anything else to say to fill in the silence.
 
Inuyasha didn't answer, instead opting to gaze out the window. He felt a sense of déjà vu for some reason. Many times before he had spent hours staring out into the light, wishing he could be outside rather than in, before Kagome had come. But lately he had been too busy to do anything of the sort.
 
A small chuckle sounded from the girl and, surprised, he flicked his gaze over to her. It was humorless and so. . . unKagome-ish. It almost scared him, truthfully.
 
“I won't be seeing you after tomorrow anymore,” she said, her tone betraying no emotions. It was blank and dry. He couldn't tell whatsoever what was going through her mind.
 
“I thought,” he started slowly, “that you were happy for me?”
 
His golden eyes locked onto beautiful blue and for a second something flashed through him. It was just a second and afterwards he realized he probably imagined it, but during that short second, he felt that everything was okay. For that second, he subconsciously thought that he could feel everything the dark-haired girl was. For that second, they were almost connected. For a second, he thought he saw his more-than-friendly emotions towards Kagome reflected in her eyes directed at him. It was just a second, maybe even a millisecond, but it was enough to leave him nearly breathless.
 
“Of course I'm happy,” she replied. He could tell the cheerfulness in her words was forced - it was so obvious to him it was almost painful. “Of course I'm happy,” she repeated, all of her cheeriness sapped from her tone. “Of course I'm happy,” she said again, this time trying to convince herself as her voice became almost desperate. “I'm happy, but. . .” She drifted off and look away, licking her lips before continuing. “I'm also sad.”
 
Inuyasha wasn't sure how to react to that. He wasn't sure how to tell her that he felt that exact same way. He wasn't sure how to tell her anything. But that was okay because a silence had formed and in that silence, something unexplainable happened that neither of them could really understand. In that silence, something ignited. In that silence, the air was charged and something connected in Inuyasha's mind. So, instead of saying anything and breaking the wonderful feeling, he leaned over and gently pressed his lips against hers.
 
The kiss was chaste and sweet. It was pure and innocent, one hundred percent emotion that neither of them could put into words.
 
It was everything and yet nothing they wanted.
 
Inuyasha was the first to pull back. His lips weren't able to move more than almost an inch before Kagome reclaimed them. This time, though, her kiss wasn't as gentle. Swallowing any bashfulness that wanted to make itself known, she parted her lips slightly to ghost her teeth across his bottom lip. Inuyasha made a sound before returning the favor, nibbling on the sensitive skin of her lips, running his tongue along the inner skin. In response, she parted her mouth even more, allowing him full access.
 
He took it, slipping his tongue in to caress hers. He shifted his position so that his palms were planted firmly on the wall on either side of her. Kagome tilted her head so that they molded even better against each other, also giving Inuyasha more access. He took it obediently. His canines scraped along her lip as he dominated her. His tongue played with hers for a long while, testing and teasing, rolling and sliding. Eventually, though, both of them pulled back, gasping in air for their hungry lungs.
 
“I'm sad as well,” he whispered in her ear, nuzzling her hair, eyes still closed. `I don't want to leave you, either,' he added in his mind, but dared not say it aloud.
 
He heard her swallow and felt her nod. He breathed in her luscious scent before - reluctantly - pulling back to look at her. Crystalline pools gathered in her eyes and Inuyasha resisted the urge to flinch. “Don't. . .” she whispered harshly, voice full of emotion, but she drifted off, unsure as to what she didn't want him to do.
 
She blinked and felt the burning pressure in her eyes release slightly to be replaced with something hot and wet on her partially flushed skin. Immediately, Inuyasha leaned forward, his tongue slipping out to lick away the tear.
 
`Don't cry. Please don't cry. . .'
 
“ `Gome,” he murmured against the skin of her cheek. “If I make a promise, will you be happier?”
 
She swallowed thickly, offering a watery smile. “I don't think I can be happy right now, Inuyasha,” she answered truthfully in a soft voice.
 
“I'll make sure you're happy, okay? I'll make sure today isn't our last day together, alright? I promise, okay? Okay?” His golden eyes looked into her and she wanted to tell him that what he was saying was impossible, but she trusted him. Naïvely and fully, she trusted him.
 
Instead of vocally answering, she pressed her lips against the tip of his nose.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------
E/N: This chapter was sooo cute!!! Ok well at least the end was!!!This was a wonderful Christmas present, Sayo!!!Even though I hate dialogue it went really fast I thought it would be boring but wow it wasn't.Yay!!!Ok well that's my opinion soREADERS PLEASE TELL HER YOURS!!!I try to get her to write fast because I love this story to death but I need help fromeveryone so complimentsare good for both of us!!!Sayo, start the new chapter NOW!!!
 
 
This chapter was rocky to me. Er… I feel like there are two Inuyasha's, really I do. One that's prickly and as lovable as a cactus and then the one that's all lovey-dovey. -Winces- And he was so corny and crap… UGH! But, um, any and all feedback is appreciated. ^_^;; Tell me what you hated and how I might be able to improve on that.
 
And Merry (very belated—my bad, sorry) Christmas!
 
Ja ne!