InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ Infected with Emotions ( Chapter 42 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Le sigh. Currently I have homework, a can of soda, homework, papers to sign, homework, social drama, homework, heartbreak, homework, and some homework to deal with. Oh, what's this? `Own Inuyasha' wasn't on the list? How can that be?
 
A/N: Nihihihi. I think it's time I stirred things up with Inuyasha and Kagome… they've had it too easy up to this point. :D
 
AGE:
InuYasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Kaede: 65
A Dark Past
-
 
-
 
Chapter Forty-Two: Infected with Emotions
-
 
-
 
Kagome definitely felt him smile against the top of her head. She also grinned and moved her head to plant a chaste kiss against his collar bone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Rin was insane. No joke.
 
“How does Sesshoumaru put up with her?” Kagome whispered to Inuyasha behind her hand, all the while eyeing the young girl in question warily.
 
Rin was, after all, crouching down on a plain black skateboard, spinning in small donuts as fast as she could right in the middle of the hallway. She was also squealing as loud as she could and throwing out random sentences. A few fragmented phrases that Kagome managed to pick up included: “time you go outside to blow your nose,” “you were hot and I made you wet,” and - Kagome's personal favorite - “try'na figure why my toaster thinks I'm crazy…”
 
Inuyasha leaned a little to the right to watch as Rin did a turn-flip around the corner. “I can very honestly say that I'm not sure that the bastard had all of his marbles where they belonged when he met her,” he replied tersely.
 
“Where did he meet her?”
 
“Oh, he met her in his room,” Inuyasha grimly replied.
 
“. . . Room?” Kagome raised a brow. “And what was she doing in his- - -?”
 
“She was in his suitcase.”
 
Kagome couldn't think of any proper response to that and merely started at Inuyasha as though he had grown another head.
 
Inuyasha nodded in agreement as though she had said something. “Yeah, I know. Disturbing, right?”
 
“Oh, just a little.”
 
Inuyasha felt the urge to elaborate a little farther. “He came back from a trip somewhere over in the States and went to unpack only to find a girl in his suitcase instead of his clothes. I think he was more upset that he lost some of his favorite shirts than he was that she was in there. She's been here ever since - like a pet, almost.”
 
“Because it's completely normal to have people for pets.”
 
“Hey, hey, hey! That's one of the coolest and kinkiest things that- - -”
 
Kagome quickly covered her ears, cheeks flushing, and glared at her boyfriend. “No! There shall be no kinky talk. Ever.”
 
Inuyasha snorted and rolled his eyes. “What are you? Mother Theresa? `Kinky talk' - as you so lovingly call it - is a completely natural- - -”
 
“I don't care!” the miko cried. “Now let the subject- - -oh, I'm getting a call.” She stopped her tirade to dig around in her pocket for her cell and checked for the caller ID. She frowned and flipped her phone open. “Um, hello?” she almost meekly greeted.
 
Inuyasha's ears pricked with curiosity. Kagome frowned on him, shaming his plan to eavesdrop, and turned to get a good several hundred meters between them. However, Inuyasha merely started trailing after her, foiling her plan.
 
Kagome scowled at him. “Can you hang on a sec, Kaede?” she asked the phone before covering the mouth piece and pointing at the ground. “Inuyasha, be a good boy and stay. Yes. Sorry, Kaede, what were you saying?”
 
“This actually has to do with Inuyasha,” Kaede informed Kagome levelly.
 
Kagome raised her brows, shifting her eyes from side to side. “Oh?” she replied, tone asking for Kaede to elaborate.
 
“I've been having. . . reports from respectable witnesses - and I've had a few suspicions myself, I must admit - about your behavior these few days at our facility.”
 
Kagome made a face as she tried to figure precisely what the old woman was talking about. “Okay. . . so what are you saying?”
 
“Kagome Higurashi, I need you to answer my next question truthfully, with no edited details. I need you to give me a yes or no answer. There is no `maybe.' ”
 
The miko's heart accelerated with nervousness at the unpredictable question. “Okay,” she whispered meekly.
 
“Have you been or are you involved with Inuyasha Takahasha - who was your ward temporarily - in ways that could be deemed. . . `inappropriate'?”
 
Kagome's heart rose to her throat, forming a hard lump that was hard to talk around. “You mean. . . like a relationship?” she inquired, trying to force her voice to work properly. Despite her efforts, her question came out as a weak croak at best.
 
“I do,” Kaede responded in a professional tone, nearly emotionless. “I also mean any behavior, action, or words that you wouldn't normally use in a professional environment.”
 
The younger woman's cheeks colored. “I don't think I ever. . .” she drifted off and winced.
 
“Keep in mind, Kagome, that if you lie to me, it'll be taken into record as a serious offense.
 
Her teeth dug down deep into her bottom lip as her brain fumbled for dialogue. However, with her heart fluttering the way it was, Kagome's mouth stayed firmly clamped shut. There was a very long pause and Kagome was expecting Kaede to fill it with some sort of speech on choice of morals or a lecture about taking responsibility seriously or- or something. Instead, the line remained eerily quiet. Did Kaede take Kagome's lack of response as an affirmative? Was she writing Kagome up and destroying any chance of future employment? Was that why Kaede didn't say anything - she was busy with the aftermath?
 
It had to have been a full five minutes when Kagome finally couldn't take it anymore and exploded, “Fine! I admit it - yes! Towards the end of the week our relationship was no longer purely platonic. Technically, we were dating and we still are.” Her outburst complete, she stopped to take a calming breath, not appreciating the fact that she was pressured into the admittance to begin with.
 
I knew it!” a triumphant cry chimed in loudly from the background on the other line. The voice was slightly muffled due to the fact that the person wasn't talking directly into the line, but the voice was unmistakable. . .
 
“Sango?” Kagome blinked in surprise. What was Sango doing listening in on- - -
 
“What are you doing?” Kaede inquired. There was a shuffling sound of some sort. Kaede tsked in disappointment. “Now I'll have to take it off of speaker-phone.”
 
“No, wait, I'll behave- - -” Sango started protesting, but her plea was cut short and transformed into inaudible, broken whispers.
 
“It's too late now,” Kaede informed the therapist chidingly, her voice much more crisp. “I already switched it over.”
 
- - -a private conversation. . .
 
“Mind if I ask what's going on?” Kagome's face had heated up to a light magenta from both her embarrassment and indignation. Her tone came out a little sharper than it had before.
 
Kaede was silent for a while, and Kagome felt her anger rising at the thought that the old woman was pulling another trick. She was about to once again demand to know what was going on when Kaede spoke up:
 
“Do you know about Izayoi's role in our facility?”
 
Taken aback at the approach of the question, Kagome stopped for half a beat before answering. “She owns and funds it. . . right?”
 
“Well, that's right. Do you know the history behind as to why Inuyasha - her beloved son - was in there?” Kaede continued.
 
Come to think of it. . . “Erm. . . no.”
 
There was a long-suffering sigh from the other line. “So you're dating their son, but the Takahasha's haven't taken the time to explain anything to you?”
 
“They explained some things,” Kagome protested. `The things about demon heritage,' she mentally added.
 
“But not what matters,” Kaede informed her dryly. “No matter, I can shed some light on things for you. You deserve that much after the way you've been manipulated.”
 
Kagome had to blink in confusion at that one. “Manipulated?” she repeated.
 
“Here's what happened: after Kikyou mated with MenouMaru and Inuyasha's friendship with him turned sour, he started acting different - really different. He wouldn't even talk to anyone unless it was a smart or angry retort. Izayoi grew more and more concerned with his strange behavior and enlisted him in her facility and asked us to do our best to help him. Instead of helping him though, everything about the place just made him bitterer. Seeing this, Izayoi talked to Kouga's family and got permission to also enlist him in the facility. She thought that if he had even one friend, Inuyasha would be more liable to revert back to normal. . .” Kaede drifted off.
 
“But even that didn't work,” Kagome finished then snorted. “Even I know something like that wouldn't work. Inuyasha doesn't talk about feelings. . . it's too corny and stupid to him.”
 
“Precisely,” the old woman affirmed. “That's why Izayoi kept on looking for things to help Inuyasha's progress. She asked Miroku to also watch out after Inuyasha and he heartily agreed. She found Sango, a teenager striving to be a psychiatrist, and decided that since Inuyasha wouldn't talk to Mr. Dai, maybe he would talk to someone his own age. Izayoi made sure to have every possibility open for her son's progress. But absolutely nothing worked. That's why she hired you.”
 
“Eh? Me?” Kagome blinked in befuddlement.
 
“You looked like Kikyou,” Kaede bluntly said. “If you were around Inuyasha - if a Kikyou replica was around Inuyasha - then he would be reminded of what happened all over again. The hope was that once he started remembering everything, he would at least show some sign of emotional distress so that someone could be there for him and try to get him to open up. But instead of that, he started to confide in you instead. That was a pleasant surprise. When Izayoi found out about that little nugget of knowledge, she got another idea.”
 
Kaede paused and Kagome grew anxious. “And that was. . . ?” she encouraged almost impatiently.
 
“It was quite simple really: get him to confide in you; get him to trust you just as much as he trusted Kikyou. And maybe, just maybe, if things worked out, you two would go for each other. It seemed like you two were meant for each other from the start. Part of the reason why you were hired was so that you could get together with Inuyasha,” Kaede finished and then waited for the response.
 
Kagome went completely blank for several minutes. “So you're saying. . . me - Inuyasha - we. . . were planned?” she clarified slowly.
 
“To be blunt about it - yes.”
 
Kagome wasn't sure what to think about the whole thing. “Then. . . then what was the point in calling me? Just to tell me all that?” Should she be upset? She had the right to be, she knew that much.
 
“Well. . . despite the fact that it was all planned, you were still involved romantically with a patient. There are several other employees beside Sango and myself who have suspicions about it and they continually come to me with the concern that you're- - -”
 
“A slut?” Kagome growled, figurative hackles raising at the thought of anyone calling her that behind her back.
 
“- - -not taking your job seriously. And that you're too young.”
 
“So then what? Are you going to fire me?” Was she going to be unemployed soon?
 
“Yes. And no.”
 
“That made no sense,” the miko reminded Kaede as patiently as possible.
 
“What I mean,” the old woman continued, “is that everyone will be told that you were fired for failing to obey policies. However, on your record, it will be noted as being let go. Your record will say that you did a wonderful job but that your service - however helpful it might've been - was unneeded. We were on the verge of being overstaffed. Does that sound fair to you?”
 
“Either way, I'm still unemployed now,” Kagome muttered dryly, “and I liked it there. A lot.”
 
The tone of her now-ex-boss softened. “We enjoyed having you, too, Kagome. But even so, you'll find a job that you'll grow even more attached to.”
 
With a child-like stubbornness coating her tone, the miko grumbled, “But I don't want to find a new place to grow `more attached to.' Did you ever think of that?”
 
Kaede did not respond - and if she had been forced to write down her dialogue at this particular point for a permanent record, it would've had to be: “. . .”
 
Taking the subtle message of the silence, Kagome sighed. “Fine. I get it,” she mumbled darkly. “I'll accept the fact that I'm getting fired.”
 
“You're not getting fired,” the elder assured. “I'm merely taking you off the working schedule.”
 
“In other words, I'm being let go.”
 
“I would still rather prefer `being taken off the working schedule' personally.”
 
“It's still technically `fired,' then.”
 
“No, it's not.”
 
“Yes, it is.”
 
“No, really. It's not.”
 
“Am I going in to work?”
 
“No - I told you, you're being taken off the working schedule.”
 
“Will I be in the records as an employee?”
 
“No, but- - -”
 
“Then I'm being fired,” Kagome chirped with sarcastic cheerfulness. “Say it with me, Kaede - Fi. Ered. It's not so hard.”
 
Kaede sighed. “Whatever will I do with you? Sometimes I think that Inuyasha did more harm to you than you did good to him. . . Already you're acting smart with me. What next? Calling me `old hag'?”
 
“I would never!” Kagome protested, aghast.
 
“Ah, so you say now. Two more days with that little rascal and you'll be spewing his foul language, too.” Before Kagome had a chance to protest further, Kaede swiftly said, “And now, dear Kagome, I need to bid my farewell to you. I need to call Izayoi and arrange some things. I'll be coming over tonight for dinner. I hope to see you there, hm?”
 
And then the line went dead.
 
And because Kagome was in dying need of a shoulder to cry and whimper on, and because she was in love with a half-demon whose best traits just happened to fit her needs, she opened her mouth and loudly called, “Oi, Inuyasha!” She knew full well that he would be able to hear her, and she even suspected that he may have eavesdropped on part of her conversation - until he grew bored of it and wandered away to find something interesting to do, at least.
 
“Wazz wrong?” is the first thing from Inuyasha as he suddenly materializes from nothing at her side. Confusion marred his golden eyes.
 
“I was fired,” came Kagome's simple response, her tone taking on that child-like quality again. A child who was pouting about receiving an unfair judgment at school and being punished for it in a way that seemed unmerited might have the same tone as he or she grumbled his misery to the parental figures, craving for the sympathy they felt they rightly deserved.
 
Inuyasha did a quick once-over of her expression. “Oh. That's too bad.”
 
“That's too bad?” Kagome howled. “That's all you have to say!?”
 
“What?” he defended himself. “I was going to say that it was a good thing until I saw your face. I decided it was safer to say that it was too bad.”
 
“You could've pretended to be a little more upset about it!” Kagome shouted back. “I lost my job - the one that I worked my ass off for! And all you have to say is, `oh, that's too bad.' ” Her voice dipped down low overdramatically as she mimicked him.
 
“With my connections, I can get you into some of the best working positions imaginable,” Inuyasha argued `reasonably.' “I can even get you- - -”
 
“I don't want to have to use your stupid connections to get a job! I want to work my way - fairly - into a nice place and have a respectable, solid reputation. Is that so much to ask for around here? Or does everything you think about revolve around your connections? Is that you think about - how easy things are as long as you have connections?”
 
He let her get all of her frustration out through her rant before calmly responding, “Well, I was thinking that we would have more time together, for bonding and stuff. But if that's really not that important to you. . .”
 
Almost instantly, the plug to all her anger was pulled, purging her of her old emotions and allowing bliss to take its place. Her dark expression immediately turned to one of elation and a gentle smile tugged at her lips. “That's true,” she genuinely agreed. “The world's not going to end just because I lost my job, I suppose. I still have you.” As if to prove her point, she leaned up on her tiptoes and Inuyasha's cheek.
 
“I'm glad to see your perspective on the whole thing's changed,” he replied, not sure whether to be scared or find it humorous that her attitude did a complete one-eighty in the course of .057th of a second (he counted).
 
`Hell, I didn't even know that number existed,' he mentally tacked on.
 
“Oh!” Kagome suddenly exclaimed. “Did you know that we were planned?”
 
Inuyasha titled his head and examined her, raising an eyebrow. “We?”
 
“Yes, you and me. We were planned,” she explained slowly, like she was trying to teach a toddler why `m' came before `n' in the alphabet. “Your mother hired me just for the sole purpose of hooking us up.”
 
And Inuyasha snorted, much to her surprise. “Should'a figured as much,” he grumbled, crossing her arms.
 
“. . . And you're okay with that?”
 
“With what?”
 
“With Kaede and your mother sneaking behind your back - our backs - the way they did?”
 
Inuyasha shrugged. “I'll live. Besides, it's not like it was anything that had lasting negative results. We did end up together and I know I like it that way.”
 
“I suppose. . .” Though Kagome still wasn't fully convinced.
 
“Besides, Kaede does sneaky little things like that all the time. She worms herself into other people's business on a daily business. It's why she runs that damn funky farm.”
 
And then Kagome remembered. “Speaking of Kaede, she's apparently coming over tonight for dinner.”
 
“Heh. Then expect something fancy. My mother absolutely loves having special dinners.” Inuyasha paused long enough to give her an appraising look, his eyes scrutinizing the curves of her petite form. Then he nodded in satisfaction. “I think you're about Rin's size. She can lend you a dress.”
 
Kagome barely stopped herself from doing a comical double-take. “Dress?”
 
Inuyasha had to roll his eyes at her reaction. “Mum absolutely adores fancy clothes. You're going to be around for a long while, so I can confidently tell you you'll get used to it over time.”
 
She blinked, `politely' inquired “Mum?”, and then broke into a small fit of giggles.
 
Her boyfriend's cheeks colored to a pretty tickle-me-pink. “I had an obsession with the word after I heard it for the first time when we went to Paris for two weeks on business when I was four. It stuck,” he grumbled in explanation.
 
It was then that Kagome lost control of her giggles and busted out laughing so hard she doubled over, using her knees for support.
 
Inuyasha swore she was even crying slightly.
 
*
 
*
To reiterate an earlier made point, Rin was insane.
 
Aiiiiiiii!”
 
Absolutely I-N-S-A-N-E.
 
“It's looks so überly cuuuuute!”
 
And loud. Very loud. Kagome winced at the high-pitched squeal of excitement. She wouldn't be surprised if everyone in a hundred kilometers vicinity could hear her when she went off into one of her `moments.'
 
“Now, don't mooove! I need to go fetch some shoes that I have. They'll go perfect with that color!”
 
And with one last squeal, Rin whirled and scampered from view.
 
Kagome let out a sigh of relief. Against her better judgment, she had hesitantly agreed to let Rin help her dress for dinner. The moment the hyperactive girl had caught wind of the plan, she locked Kagome away in her bedroom and went to work. Rin had forced Kagome to try on just about every dress before squealing that she had found the perfect one after about forty torturously slow minutes.
 
Kagome's fingers anxiously rode down soft satin material on her hip bone. While the dress wasn't nearly as extravagant as she had been thinking it would be, it was most definitely the nicest thing she had ever worn in her life. And the most expensive.
 
Constructed of nothing but satin, the crimson dress was also extremely soft. It was form-fitting around her torso, showing off curves she hadn't known much about before. As it reached her hipbones, the material loosened its sinful clutch and fluttered loosely down around her ankles. It was longer in the front than in the back. While it kissed her ankles in the front, it continued down to lie gently on the floor, making a small train, in the back. The top of it dipped down to form a sharp V, the thin straps continuing over her shoulders to crisscross over her shoulder blades. The dress swooped down low to hug the small of her back right as it ended and started out on the swell of her backside. To finish the effect, a silken black sash embraced her waist, tying off in a bow in the back. The ends of the sash were long, and were allowed to hang low like ribbons, brushing the back of her knees. There was a near perfect diamond where her skin showed on her back.
 
Despite the fact that Rin had assured her that she looked `glamorous' and `überly cute,' Kagome couldn't help but feel awkward and out of place. The fact that there was a near perfect diamond patch of skin showing made her feel like she was half-naked. She wasn't used to fancy dresses at all. She was seriously starting to debate whether or not to wear the dress or rip it off and walk down stairs in a casual skirt and shirt, just to be a rebel. . .
 
“Found them!”
 
The loud, gleeful screech brought her back to reality and she gave a long suffering sigh as Rin bounded into the room.
 
“I found the shoes,” she clarified as she dumped them onto the floor. “But first, I need to put something on your neck. It's too bear.” Rin sidled up to stand in front of Kagome and opened up a small wooden box she had been carrying as well as the shoes. Inside there were a couple pieces of choice jewelry. Rin selected the necklace and clipped it around Kagome's neck. The nurse's brown eyes looked down at it curiously. While it was a lot simpler than her dress, it still managed to compliment her appearance without really trying. The chain was a white-ish silver color attached to a white gold collared neck piece that swooped together to proudly display a blood-red ruby in the center. Miniscule diamonds that could only be seen on closer inspection dotted the top of the red gem to form a crown of a sort.
 
“It's pretty,” Kagome reluctantly agreed, poking at the necklace.
 
“Of course it is!” Rin chirped before reaching in her small box and pulling out a ring. She grabbed Kagome's left hand and slipped it on. “It's a little loose, but it still fits okay,” the younger girl enlightened.
 
Kagome noted that the ring was also simple yet held an undeniable beauty to it. The thin band was comprised of gold. Seven infinitesimal gems dotted the outside to form a small line of red and white - four blood-red rubies and three burnished diamonds, laid out so that every other gem was either a ruby or a diamond with the red starting the pattern on either side.
 
“Okay, okay, now. . .” Rin scampered over to get the abandoned sandals. “You just need your sandals and you're almost done!”
 
Kagome eyed the shoes warily. They were most definitely stilettos, with one of the largest heels Kagome had ever seen. The heels had to be at least four inches. They were open-toed, with straps that looked almost like a thick ribcage. Flashes of crimson red highlighted the black. Kagome could only think of one word to define the shoes - sultry.
 
She backed away from Rin almost fearfully. “I don't think I can wear something like that,” she called to Rin.
 
“Don't be silly, Kags! `Course you can!”
 
“I don't do well in heels,” Kagome admitted. “I'll break my neck. . .”
 
Rin rolled her eyes before diving for Kagome's feet and slipping the shoes on. “You'll be fine. `Sides, it's only for a few hours, and you'll be sitting for most of it!”
 
Kagome was still mentally trembling when Rin rightened herself and took a step back to examine her work. “Perfect!” she squealed loudly. “Now I just need to brush your hair. . .” Fluttering around the room, Rin collected a few items before waving Kagome over to the bed. “Sit down and I'll brush out your hair.”
 
Kagome sighed but complied. Rin's expert hands purged Kagome's long, black tresses of any knots and kinks. Tutting her tongue as she worked, Rin smoothed out a plain, satin, red ribbon and whisked Kagome's hair over it before tying it in a ribbon and slid it so that it was on the left side of her head.
 
Nooooooow you're done for real!” Rin chirped, pulling Kagome to her feet. (Kagome nearly fell on the damn heels at the sudden motion.) “We gotta gets goin', Kags. Dinner's gonna start soon.”
 
“Okay,” Kagome glumly agreed. Rin smoothed out the creases of her own fiery orange dress, flicked a stray strand of hair out of her eyes, and marched off for the stairs, waving for Kagome to follow.
 
The stairs spiraled down the main hall, and there were a lot of stairs. Heels plus stairs equals epic fail.
 
Kya.
“Oh, Kagome.” Rin blinked as she turned around. “Are you okay?”
 
Kagome stumbled a few more steps before standing straight again. “I hate these heels,” she assured Rin as she stomped into the dining room.
 
“Kagome, dear, you look lovely.”
 
Kagome `meep'ed and turned towards Izayoi, who popped out of no where. “Oh, thank you. You look nice yourself,” she answered, looking at the beautiful midnight blue dress the other woman sported.
 
Izayoi grinned. “Thank you, dear. Though I must say, Rin really did a job using the red to bring out the best in your features. You truly look spectacular.”
 
Kagome colored under the praise and mumbled another thank you.
 
“Oh.” Izayoi titled her head to look around Kagome's shoulder. “I do believe Kaede has arrived. If you would excuse me, Kagome.”
 
“Of course,” she uttered and moved to let Izayoi by. Kagome watched idly as Izayoi talked to Kaede - who was also in fancy dress.
 
Despite the fact that it was a small gathering with only one guest, Kagome noticed that everything was still splendorous and overdone.
 
“Wow, wench, you sure clean up nicely,” rumbled a purring, breathy voice in her ear. Goosebumps flooded her neck and she smiled as she turned to take in Inuyasha in his dressy clothes.
 
“Gotta say, I never expected you to look. . .” Kagome started and then drifted off.
 
“So handsome?” Inuyasha guessed, smirking confidently.
 
“Like a gentleman. I didn't your ruffian appearance was just that - an appearance.” Despite her words, she was smiling still.
 
Inuyasha snorted. “I'll let that slide since you look so lovely,” he excused, once again appraising her. “You look fine, I have to admit.”
 
“You have to admit?” Kagome repeated tamely.
 
Inuyasha saw the storm cloud coming and stopped it before it could do damage. “You always look good, of course.” He rolled his eyes at her for effect. He didn't give her time to reply, but instead nodded in the direction of the huge dining table. “I think everything is ready. We better sit down.”
 
Kagome sent him a look proclaiming, `it isn't over yet, buddy,' but took her seat next to him. Within a few seconds, everyone else had joined them, sitting in their appropriate place (apparently there was a specific placement for each individual).
 
It was Izayoi, sitting next to Inutaisho, who started the meal. “Itadekimasu,” her melodious voice floated through the table.
 
“Itadekimasu,” everyone else repeated in perfect unison, like it was rehearsed for a play. Kagome couldn't help but think that everything seemed extremely stiff and artificial as she piled choice entrées onto her plate.
 
Once everyone had everything they wanted, Izayoi broke in before anyone started eating.
 
“I'm speaking on behalf of everyone here, Kaede, when I say it's so nice to eat a meal with you again. It's been far too long.” Izayoi smiled genuinely at Kaede.
 
“Oh, yes. Far too long, indeed,” Kaede readily agreed before admitting, “I wanted to ask a favor of you, so I figured that the least I could do was come over for a dinner. It's always so delicious.”
 
Izayoi tilted her head slightly. “Why, thank you. What is it that you want to ask? I have to say, it has me curious.”
 
Kagome still had a hard time believing that they weren't using a script of some sort. Everything seemed so planned. She had to continually remind herself not to duck her head under the table for a peek just to be sure that they weren't secretly reading and memorizing lines.
 
Kaede let out a long sigh through her nose. “I've worked under you for over forty years now.”
 
“And it's been a wonderful forty, let me assure you.”
 
Kagome was secretly pleased to see utter bafflement flicker through Izayoi's eyes as she answered. Kaede had her genuinely stumped and Izayoi wasn't used to it.
 
“I don't think I have to tell you this for you to see it, but I'm old. My back has been giving me trouble over these last few months, and I think it's a gentle reminder that even I need to take a break. What I'm saying is, I think I need to retire. My time as your manager has come to an end. While I love the place dearly, I can't be of any help as an old, decrepit woman. It's time for me to go.”
 
Izayoi remained silent for several seconds after Kaede finished. She was obviously trying to piece together everything that was being thrown at her and figure out the sudden turn in Kaede's work-life.
 
“I've always dreaded the day you would say those words,” Izayoi finally said, tone hesitant but sincere. “It's a sad time when someone well loved wishes to leave you, especially a good friend. You will still come to visit us, won't you? I can't see myself without you completely. . .”
 
The old woman smiled, understanding that Izayoi was going to grant her wish of retirement. “Of course I would come to see you,” she assured, sounding put-out at the thought that Izayoi was suggesting such a horrible thing as to not visit. “That actually brings up the second part of my favor. . .”
 
“Second part?” Izayoi asked.
 
“Yes. I heard about Kikyou's. . . condition.”
 
And with five words, the entire room went deathly silent. The bite of pork fried rice that had been finding its way to Inuyasha's mouth froze mid-air and Inuyasha seemed to stop breathing with how still he suddenly got. His ears flicked and his eyes slowly dragged over to where the old woman was sitting. His face suddenly changed from sunny to dark and ominous, like a thunder cloud had blocked his happiness suddenly.
 
Kagome, despite the fact her better judgment was telling her to knock it off now there's nothing wrong with him worrying about his best friend so knock it off, watched him with mounting anxiety.
 
“Kikyou?” Izayoi repeated, puzzled once more. “What about her?”
 
“I was looking around for something that could help her in her condition, with her serious amnesia, but I found that nothing will ever help her recover her memories. It was a protection mechanism more than anything. The memories of Inuyasha” - Kaede's eyes flicked over in his direction and his ears flattened under her inspection - “are all gone because of how much they hurt her. She wished so bad to not have to deal with the knowledge of the consequences of the mistakes she made, that she erased the problem and start of it from her mind. Not only will it be extremely hard to have her remember since she's using every once of will power to keep them away, but it would be cruel to make her remember. She's happy how she is. That's what matters.”
 
“You're telling us things we already know,” Izayoi replied slowly. “I know you know that, so there has to be more. . .?”
 
“Yes. In the state that Kikyou's in, she has a chance to start over again. Her mind will mature just as any five-year-old's would. She's a little girl trapped in the body of a teenager right now. And like any child, she needs stability. And more than anything right now, I want to be that stability. I want to give her that new beginning she so needs and deserves.”
 
Izayoi looked contemplative. Kagome herself thought it was a fantastic idea. Kikyou did deserve a `happy ending' of a sort, even if she couldn't have Inuyasha like she so longed for- - -
 
“No.”
 
It was Inuyasha that spoke, and his tone was firm. Everyone turned their attention to the hanyou.
 
“I don't want Kikyou to be taken away by a complete stranger. I would rather take care of her myself.” Inuyasha's golden eyes were narrowed in a glare and his hands were clenched so tightly into fists, they looked almost like perfect circles.
 
“Then what do you propose, Inuyasha?” a different voice - a male voice - spoke up suddenly. Kagome looked over to find Miroku at the end of the table. She blinked in surprise, wondering when he suddenly came into being. He most certainly wasn't there earlier. . . right? As she mulled it over, Miroku continued, “That you take care of Kikyou until her mind is one of a legal adult?”
 
“It's better than the old hag's plan, that's for sure,” Inuyasha snarled back. “I won't let anyone take care of Kikyou if she doesn't know them.”
 
“She doesn't know you,” Miroku pointed out. “She's forgotten you. The whole point in Kaede taking her is to allow her a life away from you. If you yourself take care of her, that defeats the whole purpose, don't'ch'ya think?”
 
Inuyasha's face contorted in his ire and his nails dug even deeper into his palms. Small rivulets of blood flowed down his skin only to be absorbed eagerly by the thirsty material of his pants. He didn't answer, choosing instead to send a glare so furious at Miroku, it was a wonder the monk didn't burst into flames on the spot.
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome murmured, growing nervous at the red stains that were growing larger and larger on his pants. She grabbed one of his arms gently and tried to loosen his death grip as she comforted, “Miroku's right. She deserves that much. If you truly care about her, you'll let her go- - -”
 
Inuyasha snarled low in his throat and jerked his arm away from her violently. “She needs me more than anything- - -”
 
Kagome barely kept herself from crying. The hot, salty, burning water crept up and dammed her eyes, only just held back by her will not to make the scene worse than it was. . .
 
“- - -and I love her- - -”
 
Kagome had to bite her lip to swallow the sob that exploded from her throat at those words.
 
“- - -she's my best friend and I won't abandon her in her condition. I just won't. It's not happening.”
 
Something sharp and long, like a knife, seemed to saw around her chest, battering up her heart and completely destroying her vocal cords. All she could do was nod at him to show she understood - kinda - and look down at her plate. It hurt even more to know that he could sense - smell, whatever - her sadness and tears and he wasn't doing anything about it, like he normally would. . .
 
“Inuyasha.” Inutaisho's firm voice was god. The half-demon, as well as everyone else - save Kagome - looked to him. “You'll stop this selfish behavior right now,” Inutaisho commanded. “In your wish to only think of yourself, you're hurting Kikyou. Whatever you think, she will be extremely affected by your constant presence. Kikyou as well as Kaede deserve this chance. They'll take care of each other and become like family - the family Kikyou never had the chance to have. More importantly, though, you're hurting your mate, Inuyasha. She doesn't deserve to have this entire mess put on her. It hurts her. I know you can also smell her tears. She's the most important thing in your life, not Kikyou, despite what you think.”
 
Kagome's heart only weakly fluttered at the sentence where she was once again called Inuyasha's mate.
 
Inuyasha stared at his father for a long time, his audience watching him closely for any change in attitude. Inutaisho returned his stare coolly, face a rigid mask of resolve.
 
“Fine.”
 
And with that word, everything relaxed, breathing again. It was said with a grumpy sulkiness, but at least it was said. Izayoi turned to Kaede gleefully, ready to make preparations for the whole thing. Slowly but surely, everything else started to animate itself again, too. Rin started throwing out childish jokes as she got bored - who the hell got bored eating? - and several people shook their head in pity at her mate, “Fluffy-kins” as they heard what was on her mind. Miroku told stories - made up, no doubt - about his adventures with a woman. Everything resumed, situation resolved. Everything went back to the cheery atmosphere.
 
Everything except Kagome. . .
 
She continued mulling things over, robotically nibbling on her dinner every now and then. She never took her eyes off her plate, so she never saw Inuyasha's expression. But he was tense - extremely so - throughout the entire meal. And Kagome was too busy crying to pay attention to anything else.
 
She meant something to him, too. . . right?
 
Despite the fact that she was dying to ask him, she kept her mouth shut. She dearly wished he would lean over and whisper something - anything! - into her ear, and tease her like she always did.
 
He remained cool and completely silent the entire meal.
 
Somehow, the silence hurt her more than his prior words had.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------
 
(E/N: Yeah I know I'm lovely! Any who I'm back from the great Japan! It was amazing ask any questions you want about it in reviews I will answer them as honestly as possible!)
 
Yay beta being home! ^_^
 
T_T But it's a SAD day when you look forward to school because it puts stability in your schedule, social life, and emotions…
 
Anyhoo. I suppose it was sorta a bad thing I wrote this when I was feeling emo. I made Kagome's life miserable, too. xDD Oh, well. Suck it up, sweety, it's only going to get worse.
 
So review and tell me how I suck, ne?
 
Ja ne!