InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Dark Past ❯ Crash and Burn ( Chapter 43 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I think I make a better Rumiko Takahashi, don't you? Besides, the series ended, so she doesn't really need to worry about Inuyasha anymore… Right? Riiiiiiight. So from this day forward—
-has a coughing fit-
 
A/N: I'mma sicker than sick. T-T Anytime I laugh, I keep on coughing up two or three of my lungs. Not good. So anything that doesn't make sense… blame it on mah sickness. :D
 
AGE:
InuYasha: 19
Kagome: 18
Kouga: 19
Naraku: 19
Miroku: 19
Sango: 18
Kaede: 65
A Dark Past
-
 
-
 
Chapter Forty-Three: Crash and Break
-
 
-
Somehow, the silence hurt her more than his prior words had.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Despite her hopeful wishing that somehow everything had been a nightmare and would revert back to normal after dinner had ended, nothing of the sort happened. As soon as everyone finished eating and Kaede had started for the door, Kagome fled up the stairs and threw herself into a random room. She was guessing it was a guest room, but at the moment she couldn't care less. It was dark. It had a corner. It was reclusive. That was all she wanted at the moment.
 
She needed to run through her feelings and try to figure out the whole mess. . .
 
She was growing depressed, that much she was sure of. A sharp, piercing ache had taken permanent residence in her entire chest right under her collar bone. Kagome also knew she was slightly annoyed at the whole thing - who did Inuyasha think he was, anyway? She had been the one to help him when he needed it most. She had been the one to help heal his emotional scars and - and - and -
 
And it frickin' hurt that he had just seemed to have forgotten her so completely when Kikyou had been mentioned. . .
 
The door creaked ever so slightly and Kagome came crashing down from her thoughts, looking up curiously.
 
“Oh, Rin. Hey.”
 
“Hey yourself,” Rin replied, padding into the room. She had already changed back into her normal clothes and Kagome felt slightly awkward to still be in her dress.
 
“What's up?” Kagome asked in a whisper, unable to find the energy to talk any louder. The fact that Rin was acting sober for once in her life was enough to grab Kagome's attention, though.
 
Rin didn't say anything at first. Instead, she silently sat down next to Kagome and clasped her hands. Then she murmured, “I have The Good News and The Bad News, but then there's the I Don't Know Which to Call It news, as well. So, um, which would you like to hear first?”
 
“It doesn't really matter,” Kagome responded dully. “Whichever.”
 
“Okay, then I'll just tell you randomly. So. . . after you left, Fluffy-smoochims” - Kagome mentally winced in sympathy for the poor demon who had to live with such atrocious nicknames as Rin continued - “sorta. . . talked to Inuyasha about things.”
 
For some reason, Kagome felt like she was just burdening everything. Before she came around, she was sure that there weren't so many problems. “Oh.”
 
“And! Then Fluffy beat some sense into his head and it was like whoooosh and Inu was like whoooooah and then my Fluffinator managed to make his point and Inu-chan was all wise for once while my smoochims was standing victorious like a god, undefeated by all, and it was soooo amazing but I didn't actually get to see it which makes me sad but that's okay because my darling Fluffer-balls gave me a full recap as to what happened and that's good enough since he leaves out no details when he tells a story, so that's good for me like I already said but so, like, yeah, Inu-chan has had some sort of ephonany and he said he wouldn't talk to Kikyou anymore after tonight so long as he gets to see her one last time kinda like a last goodbye if you get what I mean.” Rin's dramatic hand gestures came to a conclusion and she finally stood in place.
 
Kagome ignored her run-on sentence that completely massacred any grammatical boundaries and murmured in correction, “Epiphany, Rin. You meant to say `some sort of epiphany.' ” Stupid as it was, the simple act of being able to be put in control of something and act as a modifier of some sort helped bring Kagome back to earth. Hey, at least she could breathe properly for a moment. “Now what about this thing with Kikyou?”
 
“Okay, so,” the bubbly girl started in her chipper tone, “Inu thought about it and realized how stupid he was for acting so rashly with Kikyou. He said that it was a good thing for her to go live with Kaede and agreed to allowing the old woman take care of her. But Inu was kinda sad, ya know? So he agreed to it so long as he gets to see Kikyou one last time before we all go to MenouMaru's funeral thinger tomorrow. After that, he won't ever see her again, probably. He seems kinda serious about letting her go. Which is reeeeal good for you cuz that means he really cares about you, so yay!” Rin threw her hands up in the air, jubilation for Kagome and her brother-in-law clearly sprawled across her features.
 
“. . . Yay,” Kagome whispered in agreement. Doubt still clouded her thoughts. Was that really going to settle things for Inuyasha?
 
“Righty-o. So that's almost everything I came here to tell you. The only other thing is that we're leaving tomorrow morning for the States. Really early, too. Five in the morning.” Rin scoffed. “I'mma gonna be tired, man. . .” She sighed. “Whatev. I'll just sleep on the plane. But you should pack or something, right? Right. Anyhoo. I'll talk to you later. I'm gonna go find Fluffy-kins and hang with him until Kikyou gets here. I think she's coming in, like, an hour. So yeah. Ciao!”
 
“Bye?” Kagome called out, but Rin had already disappeared in a cloud of her own enthusiasm. Wishing for half as much energy as the little girl managed to bundle up, Kagome decided to take the advice of packing to heart and quietly slipped into the hall. She wandered around aimlessly for a bit, too tired to really care. Finally, she just stepped into a random room to collect her thoughts and go about things all over.
 
“What'ch'ya want now, dammit?”
 
Kagome nearly jumped straight out of her skin when she heard the voice and her heart skipped several beats, hastening into an irregular pace. `Inuyasha. . .'
 
He stepped out of the bathroom attached to the room, toothbrush jammed in the one side of his mouth. He was shirtless and taken slightly be surprise at Kagome's appearance.
 
“Oh. . . hey,” he mumbled, his hostile tone suddenly timid and weak.
 
“Hey,” Kagome breathed, barely any sound coming out. She was slightly worried that he wouldn't be able to hear her speaking over the boisterous hammering of her heart in her chest. “What are you doing?” she asked, her voice thin and whispery.
 
Inuyasha thought about that seriously for a second before pulling out the toothbrush from his mouth and answering, “Well, see this? Yeah, I like to use this brand only usually. Cuz all the others, um, kinda hurt my gums. It's, ya know, a stick with bristles attached that clean your teeth. It's like a brush. Like you know how you brush your hair? Yeah. . . only for your teeth. But this isn't for your hair. It's, um, for your teeth. . .”
 
A smile smiled splayed at Kagome's lips at Inuyasha's wonderful elaboration. “I call it a toothbrush.”
 
“Oh. Right. Yeah. You use these things, too. . .”
 
`I'm really scared, Inuyasha.'
 
“I think we all use them,” Kagome informed his, raising a thin eyebrow. “And if you don't, then ew. Never again will any girl ever kiss you.”
 
Cherry red blood flushed his cheeks and he grumbled something inaudible and impossible to make out, eyes flickering over to her almost shyly.
 
`I'm scared of have to start everything so fresh and new.'
 
She snorted (in a most unlady like manner - completely Inuyasha's influence) and rolled her eyes before walking over to him and taking the toothbrush. “Then again, I'm the only one who would want you kiss you, and I don't want any of that crappy hanyou breath.”
 
“Keh,” he huffed, looking off to the side with a sour expression.
 
`We're letting a lot of things go and making a clean start.'
 
Kagome's smile was small, but despite its simplicity, it was a motion of pure elation and contentment. Her heart still hammering in her rib cage, the miko leaned up on her tip toes and brushed her lips against Inuyasha's. Her eyes drifted closed as he gently gripped her waist and pulled her close, forms fitting together perfectly. His lips moved with a heated passion. It wasn't perfect and had an underlying clumsiness to it, but it was everything Kagome needed.
 
`But you're scared, too, Inuyasha.'
 
Pulling back for air, Kagome looked down at the red toothbrush and jammed it between her teeth, shrugging.
 
“Ew, wench. That thing was just in my mouth!”
 
Kagome had to roll her eyes. “Oh, good golly gosh, give me a break. My tongue was just in your mouth.”
 
“PG! PG!” he cried, covering his ears playfully, trying to hide his grin.
 
Kagome merely rolled her eyes again.
 
`But we'll be okay in the end.'
 
*
 
*
 
Kagome rolled over on Inuyasha's bed to make her point as Inuyasha paced around semi-nervously. “You're going to be fine. Just go down stairs and act normal.”
 
“Something's going to go wrong. I know it. Something always goes wrong,” he protested.
 
The ebony-haired girl stared at him blankly for a few seconds before sighing and standing up in front of him. “You know, I never did say it, but I'm really proud of you for going through with this whole thing.”
 
Inuyasha stayed quiet.
 
“Saying goodbye isn't easy. But you need to stop making excuses and go down and do it. If this is what you really want, then don't stop or hesitate. Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end.”
 
Inuyasha looked at her with a mildly surprised expression. “Ho' shit, wench. Philosophical-much?”
 
“Oh, shut up. I'll pack while you're down stairs- - -Hey, wait. Do I even have any clothes here?”
 
“Yeah, you don't need to worry about packing, though. Mum's bought you an entire wardrobe that'll be there at the hotel when we arrive. All you need to worry about is finding whatever she has for you to put on tomorrow for the plane ride. Other than that, you've got everything covered.” Kagome was staring at him vacantly in an almost humorous way, so he elaborated further, “Mum loves to buy clothes. Especially for you, apparently.”
 
The ex-nurse shook her head. “I figured that part out. I'm still trying to get over the fact that you call your mother `Mum.' ”
 
The half-demon scowled. “Oh, whatever.”
 
“I'm going to take a shower,” Kagome said suddenly.
 
Inuyasha gave her a look. “Okay. . .”
 
“That's your cue to leave,” the other pointed out.
 
“Oh.”
 
Kagome waited several seconds before sighing in exasperation and opening the door. “And she's waiting for you. So goodbye.”
 
“Trying to get rid of me already?” Inuyasha joked.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes and gestured for him to leave. “I'm being supportive, you know. Now leave. Shower time for me.”
 
“Stinky woman,” Inuyasha grumbled as he started for the door. However, he slowed as he passed her until he was completely stopped. A second passed. Inuyasha morosely stared out the door, no longer sure if the goodbye was wanted or not. The grasp on reality - that he wouldn't see his best friend - ex best friend - after this - sat in the back of his mind.
 
Kikyou or Kagome.
 
He had to pick one.
 
It wasn't a package deal.
 
And he wasn't about to mess up his life over all his old mistakes.
 
Kagome closed her eyes when Inuyasha kissed her forehead and didn't move until he was completely gone, door shut in his wake. Only then did her legs start to tremble enough for her to fall against the wall and slowly slide down until she was sitting on the floor. For once, all she could do was wait, hope, pray that things would end in a picture-perfect way.
 
But how often did happy endings really happen in real life?
 
Several long moments passed before Kagome cleared her mind. Inuyasha knew what he was doing. He deserved her trust and the privacy to properly say goodbye. With that train of thought, she started untying her dress and headed for the bathroom. She turned the water temperature up so that it pinkened her skin. After she had rinsed out all the soap from her hair and body, she allowed the scalding water to run down her skin. At first she decided to just stand there until all the hot water ran out, but she rethought that when she remembered that the Takahasha's had an unlimited water supply and she might be standing there forever before the water temp wavered. So she turned the nozzles to off and grabbed a fluffy towel.
 
There was a pale green, silk night gown laying on the counter next to the sinks. Instead of giving herself a hemorrhage trying to figure out how someone got inside the bathroom when the door was locked and anything else that went along with the thought of the elusive nightwear, Kagome just grabbed it and slipped it on.
 
The air in Inuyasha's room was colder than the air in the bathroom, which was normal. However, Kagome immediately started trembling and darted for the huge bed, burying herself under the covers. Inuyasha hadn't returned yet, which made a part of her deflate with disappointment, but rather than let that get her down, she latched onto happier thoughts.
 
She was going to spend several days with Inuyasha and his family in the States. She was going to get to sit with him on the plane and talk. They were going to try and make a new life together. And, best of all, she was falling asleep on his bed. And it was very likely that he was going to join her later.
 
That was enough for now. Tomorrow would be another story, but tomorrow was tomorrow.
 
*
 
*
 
“Hmmm. Kinda. . . erm, too pink.”
 
“Fuzzerr meehhs laakds. . .”
 
“Frilly, too. It looks like something a preppy blonde would wear, to be honest.”
 
“Reeesd laskaa?”
 
“Do I honestly come across as a preppy blonde?”
 
“Muzznah.”
 
“Inuyasha,” Kagome grumbled, fiddling with the skirt, trying to make it longer. “Wake up, you loser. The plane is going to take off soon.”
 
“Precizzzely whhhhy `m trynna sleep,” he slurred in response.
 
Kagome huffed, crossing her legs and staring at the black boots that she had been give to wear that morning. They were definitely something she wasn't used to wearing, but with Inuyasha, everything was something she wasn't used to doing.
 
“I was hoping we could talk on the ride over,” Kagome persisted.
 
“Meh.”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Meh.”
 
Yes.”
 
“Meeeeh.”
 
Blowing a lock of her eyes in frustration, she grumbled, “You. Are. Impossible. I hope you know that.”
 
“Mm.”
 
Kagome gave up. She grabbed a pamphlet from the pocket in front of her that had (pretty stupid) illustrations and step-by-step instructions on safety procedures in case some crazy thing happened and everyone was doomed to die.
 
Secretly, she wanted to turn to Inuyasha and demand a recap as to what had happened the night before with Kikyou, but she kept her mouth shut and said nothing. She had fallen asleep before he had come back and woke up with him already stirring and crawling around in a sad attempt to get ready.
 
The pre-take off announcements filled up the intercom and a woman went through the fascinating process of how to buckle a seat belt, even going as far as to describe the intricate inner workings of the device. Kagome rolled her eyes and pulled out her iPod, thankful for the device to distract her.
 
Music, hard and angry, melodious and full of love, desperate and searching for something not yet found, screaming and hard to make out, tearful and luminous, pitifully hopeful, was her only companion for a long while. Songs melted together and she relaxed. Hours passed by and before she knew it, the sun was up and Inuyasha was- - -
 
“Oh, hey.”
 
- - -awake and answering his phone. . .
 
Kagome yanked one of her ear buds out and looked at him semi-crossly. “Dude, you're not supposed to have those out yet,” she informed him.
 
He waved her off completely, even going as far as to make a hand motion that suggested he was shooing a fly. Kagome stared at him in wonder and awe, completely taken aback that he did such a thing. Once the shock had worn off, her eyes narrowed slightly and she leaned closer to him. “Who's calling, anyway?”
 
Inuyasha paused for a half a second to look over at her and distractedly mumble, “just Kikyou” before going back to his conversation. And with the way he became engrossed, Kagome had to marvel that he bothered to answer her at all.
 
However, with his answer, an antsy anticipation crawled up her spine and left her uncomfortable. “I thought you said you weren't going to talk to her that much anymore. . . ,” she whispered. She knew he could hear her. And she also knew that he was ignoring her for some reason.
 
“Yeah, yeah. I know what you mean. Mmhmm. Really. Oh, really? I read that before. Good book. Yeah, I find it extremely interesting, especially since it's narrated by Death himself. Gives you a whole new perspective. . .”
 
Kagome clenched her teeth in mild frustration at his jovial tone. `He would've rather sleep than talk to me, but she calls and suddenly he's all ears,' she mordantly thought. `I don't know why I even bothered. Geez. . .'
 
Trying to block out the conversation, she turned her iPod volume the whole way up. The notes blared out at her, almost deafening her. She refused to take her eyes off of the help-in-case-everyone-is-doomed pamphlet and waited for some sign that Inuyasha was done talking to his wonderful BFF.
 
She had read about two of the little illustrations and not even fifteen seconds of her song played before it stopped suddenly. Kagome automatically looked to the device, thinking she had accidentally hit `pause' or something along those lines. However, instead of finding her iPod in her knee where she had originally balanced it, she found it in Inuyasha free hand. He had most definitely pulled the ear buds out of their proper socket.
 
“What- - -?” Kagome was baffled.
 
“Shhhh,” he hushed, handing the device back in two pieces. “Yeah, I'm still here. Sorry, was distracted. What was that?” And then Inuyasha paused to listen and laughed merrily.
 
Kagome stared at him like she had never seen him before and stood up suddenly, ignoring the gentle reminder from the hostess that she was to remain seated please. She stumbled as gracefully as possible back to the bathroom. She jammed the ear pieces back in her ears and plugged everything back in its proper place. She jumped when her song resumed, loud as ever, but left it play.
 
Frustration and hurt welled up inside of her. Inuyasha said he wasn't going to talk to Kikyou again after last night. Then why the hell was he on the phone with her? And why was he doing everything possible to ignore Kagome as much as possible?
 
`You're infuriating,' Kagome thought to herself, rubbing the heel of her palm against her eyes furiously. She was not going to cry over that idiot today. No-siree-bob she wasn't. She was going to march out there and. . .
 
Slowly, her legs bent until she was crouched with her head between her knees. Her breathing was erratic and her emotions were a complete mess. Where the hell did Inuyasha get off thinking he could act like this?
 
And on the other side, should Kagome allow him some slack and be more understanding of it? They were friends, sure. . .
 
But did Inuyasha have to act like such an asshole?
 
Was Kagome acting too brashly?
 
Confused as hell, Kagome fell back onto her bottom and sat, legs out straight, on the bathroom floor. Despite the fact that there was still a good seven or eight hours left to the ride, Kagome didn't move from her place. She didn't feel like talking to Inuyasha when she was so confused. Instead, she sat and thought.
 
And even though she was sure the bladders of small children and old geezers probably exploded because of her, she didn't open the door to anyone who anxiously knocked in hopes of using the toilet.
 
Hell, over Kagome's loud music, she couldn't even hear them knocking to begin with.
 
*
 
*
 
Izayoi was frowning. “Kagome, you look pale.”
 
“Nah, it's fine. We've arrived in the States now. . .”
 
Kagome looked warily at the older woman. “Really now?” her tone was too tired to be as biting and sarcastic as she would've liked it to be.
 
“It's a lot bigger than back home, that's for sure. . .”
 
Izayoi carefully looked over the younger woman before scowling. “I've never seen someone get so gaunt in just twelve hours.”
 
“Well, if someone would get off the phone and maybe let me listen to my music I wouldn't've had to sit in the bathroom for most of the ride over. Hasn't your phone died on you yet? Or haven't you been talking to her the entire time?” Kagome's fiery temper laced each and every one of her words and she spat out most of her frustration at Inuyasha.
 
And his only reaction was to blink at her and then shake his head before going back to the conversation.
 
Kagome felt like tackling him right then.
 
Izayoi looked very aghast at her son's behavior. “Inuyasha, get off the phone now. You're mate is trying to talk to you and you're ignoring her. How ignorant can you get? Say goodbye. Now.” Upon seeing Inuyasha not making any move to say goodbye, Izayoi simply plucked the phone from his hand and flipped it shut. “As I was saying,” she began in a thunderous tone, “you, dear boy, are an ignorant idiot. Did you not promise to not talk to Kikyou after last night?”
 
Inuyasha opened his mouth to protest, but Izayoi held up a hand to silence him before he could even begin. “I don't want to hear it. I'm not the one you need to explain yourself to. Your father and I are going over to see some relative's of MenouMaru and talk some things out with them. You two will be alone together in the hotel for a while, that means. Use the time to talk these things out.” Izayoi handed the card-key over before placing her hands on her hips. “We'll be back later. Make sure you eat. And Kagome?”
 
The miko looked over at Izayoi to show she was listening.
 
“You have my full permission to hit him.”
 
And with that, Inuyasha's mother left, leaving the two standing in the hallway in front of their hotel door. Kagome didn't say anything but instead slid the key through the reader and opened the door once it was unlocked.
 
“Now why does this feel familiar?” Inuyasha weakly joked as he stepped through the door. Kagome followed him in and closed the door. Their things had already been brought up so Kagome didn't even bother to pause before she started off to find her bedroom.
 
“Now what are you mad about, wench?” Inuyasha asked in exasperation as Kagome ruffled through the drawers in one of the rooms. She paused in her search to look over at him thunderously and walked right by him wordlessly as she went to a different room. “Alright, alright, so I admit that you have a right to be mad at me,” Inuyasha confessed. “I know I'm technically not supposed to talk to Kikyou at all anymore, but last night. . . she was so scared, and we got along so great, it was like nothing had ever happened, and she asked if she could call me for the first few days until she got comfortable. I'm like her only friend right now. And we're not even supposed to be friends.”
 
“Precisely,” Kagome mumbled, feeling trapped and extremely guilty. “But. . . I do get where you're coming from. I seriously do. It's. . . like a change of plans and everything. That part's okay. What really upsets me is the fact that you were purposely ignoring me completely.”
 
“I wasn't ignoring you,” Inuyasha protested.
 
“You were too wrapped up in talking to Kikyou to grace me with proper responses. That's pretty darn close to ignoring someone if I'd ever heard of it.”
 
“I didn't mean to. . .” He drifted off and his shoulders deflated. “Alright, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to make it seem like that. But Kikyou, she. . . needs me, too, still.”
 
Kagome deflated. “But she shouldn't need you anymore,” she weakly defended with a child-like firmness. “She has Kaede now.”
 
“But that's not enough,” the half-demon breathed. “Just for now, please, that's not enough.”
 
`Who are you trying to convince here?'
 
Kagome's heart heaved heavily in her chest, guilt and misery clawing at her ribcage painfully, squeezing on her lungs and making it hard to breathe properly, let alone think. He looked so sincere. . .
 
“Fine,” she conceded. “Fine. Fine. Okay. Fine. Okay. Fine.” Every syllable that left her mouth was more desperate in tone than the last. `Please, no. Don't. Please, please take it back,' she begged silently, distantly hoping that Inuyasha would be able to hear her plea.
 
Instead, his shoulders slumped in relief and he pulled her into a hug. “Thanks,” he breathed.
 
“Mmhmm,” she hummed, swallowed anything else she wanted to say.
 
The sunlight faded behind them as dusk fell and evening came. Inuyasha nuzzled Kagome's hair before pulling away and sitting on the bed, patting the area next to him invitingly. The miko hesitated for a second before plopping down next to him, slipping off the leather boots that she had been wearing and stretching her ankles. Her tendons groaned in protest, having grown stiff and locked from the plane ride.
 
Inuyasha turned her and splayed her legs across his lap. Kagome frowned in confusion at him. Instead of verbally answering, he started working the muscles along her calves and down to the balls of her feet. His demonic strength allowed him to apply just the right amount of pressure without hurting her. Kinks and knots that she hadn't even known had existed before melted under his fingers. A soft sigh of appreciation passed through her lips. She flopped unceremoniously onto her back and stared up at the ceiling.
 
“The feels wonderful,” she appraised him, eyes closing.
 
“You must be exhausted. Jet lag has a strong affect on humans. Shouldn't you be resting right now?”
 
“Mm,” Kagome hummed. “Yeah, maybe. Just don't stop. It feels. . . really. . . nice.” She drifted off drowsily. Inuyasha's hands continued to work at her legs. Almost like an abstract lullaby, she felt it shushing her to sleep.
 
`I've been falling asleep a lot lately,' she thought to herself loosely, words forming in her mind drunkenly. And then, contented, she felt the numbing darkness of sleep wash her away. `Just don't stop. . .'
 
*
 
*
 
When Kagome woke up, it was late. Not late as in three-four-ish in the morning late, more like three-fourish in the afternoon late. That was late. That was really late.
 
“Whazz slee' so long?” She wiped her eyes pathetically in a small attempt to rouse her dead mind.
 
“You looked too peaceful. I couldn't wake you.”
 
Kagome looked over at Inuyasha, who was sitting not more than four feet away. She blinked slowly. “So you jus' let meh sleep? Idiot. I wasted a whole day. . .”
 
“It would just be more stress if you had stayed awake,” Inuyasha assured her. “Mum and them came back really early this morning with all the details on the funeral and that. It's going to be today before sunset, which is in a few hours- - -”
 
“Why do I always sleep straight to the important deadlines?” Kagome cried in exasperation. “Just once I would like to be awake before something happens.”
 
“You are awake before `something happens,' ” Inuyasha tartly reminded her. “You're awake now, aren't you? And the funeral is in an hour and a half. That gives you enough time to get ready, hm?”
 
Kagome pouted. “You're already ready,” she pointed out sourly. “Why did you let me sleep?”
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “I'm sooooo sorry, my dear princess. I'll remember from now on that you're not allowed any sleep. At all. So when you get big bags under your eyes and you're cranky as hell, I'll just remind you that- - -”
 
“Oh, shut up,” she grumbled. “I mean why did you let me sleep so late today?” Kagome rolled off the bed and started stumbling around. “I don't even know what I'm supposed to wear- - -”
 
“The black dress in the closet.”
 
“- - -or if I have any real shoes besides those boot things- - -”
 
“Also in the closet.”
 
“- - -and I just woke up! I probably look like hell- - -”
 
Inuyasha snorted. “That's so not true.”
 
“- - -I'm so not going to be ready in time! Oh, it's going to be awful. . .”
 
Inuyasha sighed before suddenly appearing in front of her, grabbing her hands that had been furiously flying around the room, looking for miscellaneous odds and ends. “Kagome, calm down.” He rolled his eyes at her. “I'll leave and you can get dressed, okay? Your clothes and all that are in the closet. Hairbrush and all that crap is in the bathroom. Don't worry about getting too fancy, though, okay? It's a funeral. The guy died. We're not celebrating it.”
 
Kagome stuck her tongue out at him. “I know that, you dimwit. I'm not the stupid one here.”
 
“Oi, what am I then? Old bubble gum?”
 
The raven-haired woman raised a brow. “Well, it never came up in the conversation, but Inuyasha. . . I think we need to talk about your place in life. Bubble gum is a good thing. People chew on it. They like it a lot. It even stays around long after it's time is up on the bottom of tables and things like- - -”
 
“Just stop there,” Inuyasha deadpanned. He shook his head and let go of her, hiding his smile. “I get it. I'm not needed. Time for me to go attach myself to the bottom of a table.”
 
Kagome waved sadly as he made his grand exit. “Farewell. I shall miss you. Maybe I'll pick you off some day and use you again.”
 
A loud cry echoed through the halls: “Ew!
 
Kagome snorted back her giggles, sidling over to the closet and digging out the lacey gown that was hidden deep within the depths of the built-in room. Just as Inuyasha had told her, she found a formal knee-length black dress and a pair of simple (yet still elegant, but that was just expected by that point) black heels. After a short pause, Kagome grabbed the outfit and headed for the shower, deciding to wash off the grimy feeling of excess sleep. The warm water helped to waken her more.
 
Dressed and ready as she was probably going to get, she went back out into the bedroom and grinned when she saw Inuyasha there. He smiled back, his features softer than before. “Ready to go then?”
 
“Ready as I'll ever be,” she replied, combing stray strands of her long hair nervously.
 
“Well then, the chariot awaits us- - -”
 
Feeeee-yuuuu-neee-rallll! We're going to a funeral. Now hurry up and get your butts down here! We've got dead people to see!”
 
Kagome stood still for a second before leaning towards the nearby window. “Did that, uh, come from outside?”
 
Inuyasha slapped his hand to his forehead, dragging his palm down his face for an extra measure. “The woman has issues, Sesshoumaru. Why can't you see this?” he grumbled to himself.
 
“I think she quite sets the mood.”
 
“We're not supposed to walk into a mournful time like a funeral laughing and joking,” Inuyasha mumbled, crossing his arms in a childishly sour way.
 
Kagome shrugged. “It's better than crying,” she offered. “Wouldn't you rather have friends and family laugh about the good times than cry over what's lost?”
 
The other looked up at the ceiling. “Why are you so philosophical? Can't you just for once in your life act, I dunno, more stupid?”
 
“You have Rin for that,” Kagome deadpanned.
 
“Christ help us all for that. . .”
 
Feeeee-yuuu-neeee- - -”
 
“We know!” Inuyasha roared in exasperation. “Geez, give us a second to get- - -”
 
“- - -eeee-ralllllll!
 
We know,” both Kagome and Inuyasha yelled back at the same time, despite the fact that the chance of Rin hearing them from thirty-odd floors down was unlikely. How her voice managed to carry so far was a miracle itself.
 
Kagome shook her head and Inuyasha cried on the inside, wondering why Rin had to have so few marbles. “Well, at least we have her to set our mood. We're not allowed to be sad so long as she exists.”
 
Inuyasha grumbled darkly.
 
“It's not that bad.”
 
“Oh, wench, just wait until she's had coffee and you're the only one around at two in the morning. It's pretty damn bad.”
 
Feeee-yuuuuu- - -
 
Kagome grabbed Inuyasha's arms and started heading for the exit. “Let's get down there before she has a hemorrhage. Or before people start to really get scared.”
 
“Agreed.”
 
The trip down the elevator was quick. Once the doors opened, they were greeted by the sight of the main entrance doors - which where Plexiglas spinning doors - whirring in mad, furious circles.
 
Heeeee - ”
 
“Shit.”
 
“What the. . .?”
 
Kagome and Inuyasha traded quick looks before turning their attention back to the spectacle laid out before them.
 
“Ma'am, please, could you. . . Ma'am. Ma'am!” the secretary behind the front counter called toward the blurring doors feebly.
 
“What is she doing?” Kagome asked no one in particular.
 
“Who knows?” Inuyasha groaned in response.
 
“Rin. Knock it off.”
 
Kagome jumped and “meep”ed, whirling to look for the person who spoke. Inuyasha glanced over at the lounge area, pinpointing his brother in one of the reclining chairs, watching the scene apathetically.
 
Rin giggled as she stepped out of the doorway and stumbled about drunkenly. Confused passerby breathed in relief at finally being able to pass through the door. Rin just fell to her knees, still in hysterical giggles. “That was fun, Fluffy-kins!”
 
Sesshoumaru stood and started toward them. “I'm sure it was, Rin. But now you need to pull yourself together. That was a very immature act. Very disappointing.”
 
“Oh,” Rin harrumphed, getting to her wobbly feet and putting her hands on her hips, “you just want to try it sometime with me and you know it. No worries. We have all night, so just worry yourself out of your rut.”
 
Sesshoumaru raised an perfect, silver eyebrow at her. “Rin, we are in public right now. I need you to bring out your mature side and remember that we're heading towards the funeral of a dearly loved friend of the family. We will be seeing his relatives. They will not appreciate you singing folk songs over his casket, nor will they understand your morbid jokes- - -”
 
Fe-yu-ne-ral!” Rin squealed, grabbing a hold of Sesshoumaru's hand and skipping towards the spinning glasses again.

“Rin. Did I not just get through- - -We are not running in circles around the door.
 
And Kagome and Inuyasha traded another look.
 
“Just don't,” Inuyasha advised.
 
Kagome smiled. “We're so not normal.”
 
“I said don't,” Inuyasha whined.
 
And with that, the two started toward the frantically spinning door with no intention of helping the frustrated demon or his permanently-on-crack mate.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------
 
Wanna know two simple facts?
 
One: Rin is actually based off of me. Yes, I do act like her. On many occasions. :D `Tis why I scare people…
 
Two: I reallllllllly hate this Fic anymore, guys. Seriously. Hate it. No point. Kinda. Everything I write for this ends up making no sense, going in circles, and getting jammed full of crack. Gyah.
 
But guess what else? Ready for this one?
 
One. More. Chapter. To. Go. Until. The. End.
 
You heard me right. If I have everything planned right (which I do), only one more chapter and then finis. No more A Dark Past. It will be dead. :D
 
God, that felt so good to say…
 
Ja ne!
 
(Unedited. What did you expect? Edited version up soon… ish.)