InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A deal with a demon ❯ Chapter 17

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

After Inuyasha had pulled her into the apartment, Kagome was sure that the dog demon would have a mouthful to say.

So she waited. On guard, on the defensive, ready to tell him exactly where he could stick his opinions. But he simply went to his room, closing the door behind him in a way that denoted finality. He was done with the subject of her and the wolf for the time being.

She was convinced that he wouldn't let it drop. After living with him for the past few months, she didn't know a lot about him. But she was aware of how unbelievably stubborn he could be. Kagome knew the lecture was coming. She just had to wait.

But the days passed, and he didn't say anything about it.

He didn't even acknowledge her.

It wasn't like she wanted a confrontation… she wanted an answer!

Why the hell was he acting like such a possessive jerk? He didn't like it when Kouga was around her? When he told her that, he had gotten so close. It seemed as if… as if he was going to…

THE NERVE.

And he just carries on with his daily life. Ignoring her, giving her the cold(er than normal) shoulder and he felt like he had the right to an opinion about her love life?

It had been eating at her for days. She couldn't take it anymore. She had to talk to him tonight!

~.~

Things… had been awkward.

He had pulled her away from a love confession, almost pounced on her in the elevator, and then… promptly ignored her.

There was about a thousand things he wanted to say, all at the tip of his silver tongue. But he held back. He had no excuse for what he did. He had no reason to pull her away, demand that she not be around that wolf.

He may be her husband in name, but damn, he had no claim on her at all.

And that's the way she wanted it. That's what she demanded. Shouldn't he be happy that she wanted her freedom from him?

That's what was killing him. He wasn't sure.

There was something about her... it drew him in. Had he ever been so compelled by another woman before?

Inuyasha knew she was stewing. She was on the verge of exploding, he could feel the tense atmosphere, could sense it in her scent.

So he did the natural thing. He avoided the hell out of her.

Not enough that he couldn't keep an eye on her. Not enough that she could sneak off to Kouga. He didn't want to hear her nag and yell. Confront things he wasn't ready to process.

But he sure as fuck wasn't about to let that mangy wolf butt his ugly head in the middle of this…. Whatever it was...

The dog demons ears perked up as he caught the sounds of her light footsteps. She was making her way towards him. Was she finally going to blow up at him? Leave the house? Back out on the deal? Never see him again-

“I'm leaving.” She said bluntly.

“Eh?” The hair on his neck stood up. She let out a frustrated sigh and rolled her eyes.

“I'm going to the store.” Kagome explained.

“So what the hell are you telling me for?” He replied gruffly.

“Well, since it seems you're my keeper, I thought I had to let you know. Or maybe to ask if you needed anything. Either one.” Came her dry answer.

“Feh. Like I need anything from you.” Inuyasha gave her a sharp look. “And I'm sure as fuck not your keeper. I'm not your damn anything.”

Kagome narrowed her eyes, looking over the hanyou in a way that made him feel small, suddenly frightened of the petite woman before him.

“You really want to get into this now?”

Fuck. Fuck, fuck fuck!

Why? Why couldn't he ever bite his damn tongue? Why did he always have to have the last word? Ever let anything go? He could have easily said `nah, Im good. Thanks though.' He didn't need to be so rude.

Or respond to her last comment.

But she baited him! She was egging him on for a fight. Right? He watched the look on her face as she tried to contain her anger and disgust.

What could he do but act on the defensive?

“Feh, do what? I don't know what the hell you're so upset about.”

Great. Passive. Like he wasn't troubled by the situation at all/ He just had to play it cool.

“YOU- YOU DON'T- UGH.” She was close to shaking from her fury. Taking a deep breath to steady herself, she set a hard gaze on him.

“Listen. Im not sure what that was about the other night with Kouga, but you are NOT, I repeat NOT to interfere with my life.”

“Interfere with your life? YOURE LIFE?” He screamed. “You're fucking living in my living room! Taking up my damn space, your damn smell is-“

“MY SMELL? YOU THINK I SMELL?” She practically jumped out of her skin.

“Feh! You fucking stink! I cant stand the smell of you!”

“Well living with you isn't like some treat, you know!”

“Ha! Do you know how damn lucky you are to be married to me?”

Regret.

The second it left his lips, he was dying to take it back.

Her laughter, he had liked it before, on the rare occasions he had heard it. But when she did it in this context…

It was scary as shit.

“Lucky? LUCKY? To be married to you?” She crossed her arms, a sick grin on her face. “What in the world makes me lucky?”

“Damn bitch, I-“

“No no, please, enlighten me. Is it that you come home al hours of the night, waking me up because I sleep in the living room? Or is the lack of privacy I have? That you couldn't even share the bed room. Oh wait- maybe its because I get to live with the great Inuyasha, the infamous womanizer who probably is crawling with STDS. Did I ever tell you how nervous I was to share a place with you? For all I know, youre contagious!”

He couldn't take it anymore. He was growling. Baring his teeth, ready to punch a hole through the wall.

Or several.

“KAGOME- I-“

Shouldn't she be scared? Shouldn't she be backing down? He had shown far less of his aggressiveness to grown men and watched them back down in fear. But she- the damn woman was gaining strength from it!

“Oh no, it must be because Im subjected to your kind and gentle temper! Or my new special nickname! I love being called a bitch. Maybe when I finish my degree, I'll be Doctor Bitch.”

“Pft. It suits you.” He spat.

“How would you know? You don't know anything about me! Were total strangers! What the hell do you even do with your day? Im at school, what do you do? You don't work, you're not in classes, do you just waste the days away?”

“None of your damn business bitch. Were strangers after all.”

“Heh, your right. Its not.” She looked at him seriously, her tone lightening slightly. “You know, I tried to reach out to you. I tried to get to know you. To be kind and as friendly as I could be, knowing that this is as unwanted for you as it is for me. But after seeing what you're like… I have no interest.”

“Like I have one in you!” He lied, crossing his arms and turning the other way. He didn't want to look at her anymore. He was afraid the truth was written all over his face.

“Just… leave me alone. It shouldn't be much longer until the house is finished, and we will have more room to stay out of each others way. But until then…” Her voice became sadder, low. The sound of the fight going out of her. “Just don't get in my way. I'll cool it with Kouga. Ill keep it casual, so you don't have to worry about it getting weird with your “friend”. But my life, is MY life. Don't you dare interfere again. I don't want to fight. Give me my space and we can avoid each other in peace.”

She turned to leave, the sound of the door locking angrily behind her, his ears flat against his head.

Had… had he ever felt so awful? Had he ever felt like such fucking scum? Like he wanted to crawl under the bed and at the same time beat the shit out of someone senseless?

She was right. Everything that came of her mouth was spot on.

Why the hell he said SHE was the lucky one…

If that were the case, she would have slept with him. Been angry that he was with other women. Gone out of her way to flatter him, puff up his ego. If he was so great, she wouldn't have left.

He was just starting to realize that maybe he wasn't the prize he thought he was.