InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A deal with a demon ❯ Chapter 40

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

He still wasn't sure where she had gone. He tried to get a scent off of her, to determine where in the hell she had managed to hide away for almost three weeks, but it was pointless. As soon as she had said her piece, she had left again.

But she came back.

The only thing that calmed his nerves was that she had promised him. Promised to keep her word. She would stay until a solution was found.

He would just have to make sure one wasn't.

Besides, the contract was iron clad, wasn't it? Put together by the best legal team his father could find, there was no way that there was a loophole.

Gods, he hoped not.

There was roughly a year and a half left. It wasn't long at all. He had to change her mind. Had to get her to listen to him.

He had to get her to stay.

Once the contract was up...

She would leave. She would go on with her life.

And from the way she was acting, it was one he wasn't welcome in.

This marriage contract was the only thing keeping her in his life. It wasn't about the money anymore. It was about his link to her being secure.

He didn't know what he would do when she left. He wasn't sure his demon would allow it. For a minute, he thought that she wanted more from him. No damn it, he knew she did. Kagome wouldn't have done that with him, with so much at stake, if she wanted just a fling. He had nothing else to think about over the past few weeks, and was firm in his beliefs.

But now… it seemed like he held those feelings alone. She no longer seemed to share in them.

Its not like he could ask.

He had always thought of himself as a brave man. He would say whatever he wanted, to whoever he wanted. He took chances and insane risks. Nothing could stop him.

Except when it mattered.

Until Kagome… until his feelings for her… until she was so far from his grasp…

It wasn't until then that he realized it was easy to be brave and carefree when the things in question didn't matter. He always had money to bail him out. Friends that wouldn't leave him side, accepting his bad temper and manners. The women he approached held no significance.

When it came down to it, he was a coward.

He was too afraid to ask Kagome how she felt. He was too afraid to hear the answer.

It was torture, this wall that was between them. She had been busy, having to make up the hours for her program. And when she wasn't doing that, she did her damn best to avoid being home. From the scents he could pick up off her, she was spending a lot of time with female friends.

Inuyasha wracked his brain about the best course of action. At this point, she clearly needed space. If he just grabbed her, threw her over his shoulder like he wanted, and take her off somewhere secluded, making her listen to his side…

She would turn away from him forever. It would be the final straw.

Whenever he tried to broach the subject, she left too quickly.

So, he deiced the only thing he could do was wait.

He could show her that when she was ready to listen, he would he there to talk. He would do his best to carry out their routines before kikyo... remind her that she enjoyed his company… enjoyed being with him…

He had tried bringing her dinner at work when she had the night shift. She laughed a little, asking what he was doing there. She took a low blow and asked if he was reversing their last meal.

“Thank you, Takahashi, but I already have dinner.”

“Then lets eat together Kago-“

“Higurashi.”

“Ka-go-me.” He ground out.

“Hi-gur-as-hi.” She simply replied.

“Will you fucking eat with me, or not?”

“Its very kind of you, but I'm going to pass.”

“Kagome, I just-“

“Sorry Takahashi, but I've got to get back. I have a lot of time to make up for. But thank you.”

He had tried to converse with her over breakfast, like before. He used to find his mornings precious with her. Now they barely existed.

Even in their early days, she would cook breakfast. She would make extra and set it aside for him. Once they became comfortable with each other they would chat for however long their schedules allowed.

Now he ate cold cereal, waiting for her to sit. He would be willing to endure awkward, long pauses if it meant he could just be near her.

But Kagome, she had no interest in that.

She started drinking protein shakes, taking her food to go.

She would rather drink her meal than have to spend time with him.

It was Friday, and now that she was home, maybe she would continue on with their ritual. He was sitting on the couch, clad in his pajamas, and anxiously waited for her.

Waiting.

Waiting.

When he finally heard her footsteps, he felt his heart beating rapidly. He felt nervous and excited and nauseous all at once.

He turned his head, ready to make some snide remark about how she always cuts it close, about how she was always so slow. Silly banter really, he just wanted the ease of the conversations they had had back then.

But that was before he had gotten a good look at her.

She was wearing a black dress so tight and form fitting his mouth was watering. And Gods, it was short- so short it left little to the imagination. Too short for his bitch to wear out.

Just short enough for him to bring her upstairs and-

He had to shake the thoughts from his lust clouded mind. She didn't dress like that for him. No way in hell.

“W-where” He started, his throat feeling dry. He felt hungry just looking at her. “What are you wearing that for?”

“Eh?”

“Where are you going?”

“I don't really think that is any of your business.” She said, a calm, reserved look on her face.

“Its not my- not my business?” He stumbled on his words. He was infuriated!

“Do you know what the hell it is like living with you right now? You barely talk, I have no idea where the hell your going or what your doing and-“

“And that's what we agreed on. That's what we decided in the contract. Honestly, you act like didn't set the terms for this yourself.”

“That was- that was before- But there has to be some kind of communication- even roommates tell each other when they are coming and going-“

Kagome sighed.

“Youre right. I have something. I didn't want to do this now because Im running late, but I guess theres no time like the present.”

She walked into the kitchen, and the hanyou followed behind. She bent down, opening a cupboard and retrieving two dry erase board.

“This is yours, and this is mine.” She said. “If I have a message for you, or something I feel you should know, ill write it here. And vice versa. For extreme situations or emergencies, a text message or call.”

“You want to communicate with me… through dry erase boards…” He said, looking down at the glossy white rectangle.

“Its effective. Its how Sango does it with her roommate.”

“Don't you think it's a little different for us?” He seethed, grinding his teeth.

“I don't see why it has to be. This should reduce some-”

“I don't want to talk through you some fucking piece of plastic! I want-“

“I already know what you want, Takahashi.” She said softly. “I've already heard it before.” She drew in a sharp breath. “This solves the problem. You should be happy about this.” She gave a small smile.

Happy? Happy? It took all he had not to push her up against the wall and show her how unhappy he was.

He wanted to make her submit. He wanted to make her listen. He wanted to apologize and tell her how he felt and then fuck her until she screamed.

He just wanted her to stay still.

By the time he composed himself, she walked past him, heading out the door.

He just couldn't seem to catch her.

~.~

Why was he making this so hard on her?

She was doing her best to give him space. She was doing her best to avoid him. She was doing her best to give him what he wanted.

So why was he acting like he was the one who was hurt? Why was he acting like he was holding something back?

When she had overheard Kikyo… she had felt shattered.

She had gone from a feeling of euphoria and bliss, excited to see the hanyou again, excited to surprise him on his first day in his new position.

Excited in her own fantasies, that maybe he wouldn't be able to control himself, and try to take her right then on his desk.

But instead, she wasn't the one he wanted.

Of course it was her.

She was always interrupting their good moments. Always there.

Kagome knew that Kikyo was more on his level. She was rich and classy and had a cold air about her that screamed she always got what she wanted.

I guess it was true. She wanted Inuyasha, and apparently, she had him.

It was bad enough to hear her say those things, saying that Inuyasha was putting on an act, that she found her annoying, that he had to pretend to like her to secure his inheritance.

That was bad enough.

But to see him there, not bothered a bit by it…going along with it… it was like looking at him for the first time.

So what if he had seemed so tender the night before? He had just been trying to get into her pants. He had never made it a secret that he found her desirable. But that was all.

He just wanted to fuck her.

Gods, how it hurt.

She wanted more than that, more from him. She had known before this happened what her feelings were, but she pushed them down. They were dangerous.

But when she heard her, heard him confirm it… from her heartbreak she knew she couldn't deny it any longer.

She loved him.

She loved his selfishness. His quietness. His humor. His banter. His strength. His beauty. His cockiness. His cock-

Even thinking about it made her blush.

And want to cry.

She loved him, but nothing could come of it. Not unless she wanted to be a one night stand.

Kagome knew she wouldn't be able to handle that- to be treated to wondrously, then discarded. It would break her.

Well, more than she was.

She had left his office, Myouga on her shoulder. He begged her to go back, begged her to give Inuyasha a chance to explain.

Once she was far enough away from him, she let herself cry. She wouldn't give him the satisfaction to know that he had hurt her.

She went to the country, She enjoyed the fresh air. She spent time healing.

She had to come home.

It was unfinished. She still had business to settle with the hanyou. She would stay until he found his loophole, or until the 3 years were up. She could bare it until then.

And she wanted to show him that she wasn't weak. She was made of tougher stuff that that. The words of a self-obsessed, arrogant jerk, and some frosty bitch were not going to bring her down! She was Kagome Higurashi- er, Takahashi! She had worked tirelessly her entire life. She had overcome the odds. She was capable of anything if she put her mind to it.

And their contract would be no different.

It was mutually beneficial, although even if she left. Her family would have been taken care of. But even though she wanted to make him eat dirt for how badly he hurt her, she couldn't do the same for him.

She loved him.

She would make sure he got his money.

That was the only thing he cared for.

Kagome had been nervous about seeing him.

She believed that he would act arrogant, like always, with some snarky remark. He would, of course apologize- he would do anything to keep his money.

She wanted to show him that she was unshaken by him.

If only he could act like she thought he would!

The way he looked at her… it hurt. The way that he seemed to whine, to protest the rules she put in place to ensure they had space…

It felt like he wanted to be with her.

Kagome slapped the sides of her face.

`Get a grip girl. It seemed like that before too. He fooled you.'

She had to get him out of her head. She had to move on.

Inuyasha wasn't hers. He wasn't hers to love.

Love… he didn't even like her!

Didn't he realize that if she was going to get over him, he needed to stop? She was proud of herself for how she had stood up to him, held her ground firm.

But when he said talked about the communication board, he seemed so hurt. It looked tangible in his eyes.

She smiled, holding back her tears, knowing she had to get out of there.

She never had much resistance to him to begin with. She wanted to end this with some dignity.

~.~

Like hell he was letting her leave.

Like hell he was going to let her just walk out, having the last word. Leaving him with replies on his tongue and no one to listen.

And she had to be out of her damn mind, if she thought she could parade in front of him, looking so fucking hot that he would dream about her body in that dress for the rest of his life.

He was going to hunt her down.

He was going to end this tonight.

He would show up where ever the hell she was in his flannel pajamas and not give a fuck who saw.

He was going to tell Kagome she was important. He was going to tell her that he needed her. Craved her, body mind and soul.

He was going to… as soon as he could catch her scent.

A/N:: Im so glad you guys seem to be liking the last few chapters! Things are getting angsty now- and angsty Inuyasha is my favorite to write (and read!). That's probably why the fics I write (I have some Im tweaking with and developing before im willing to share :3) tend to be more classic and steer from the original story line. Writing this AU fic, with slightly OC perspectives has definitely been fun- but writing a love sick hanyou is my favorite.

Shout out!: Grapefruitwannabe, lolalove, mearue, intothenest, Alejandra… thank you all for your faithful reviews! I love hearing your opinions as the story has progressed!

And a huge thank you to the readers, and especially the reviewers! It makes me so excited when I get notifications!