InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Different Path ❯ Part One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Summary: Upon arriving to Sengoku Jidai, Kagome decides to go a different direction than the one leading to Goshinboku. Her decision sets an entirely new chain of events into motion.

Disclaimer: InuYasha is (c) Rumiko Takahashi, Viz Comics, et al.

A DIFFERENT PATH
(PART 1 OF ?)

The teen blindly raced through the dense forest and made a valiant effort to not weep. The only sounds to be heard were the patter of her feet and an occasional sniffle or hiccup. While oblivious to all else, she was acutely aware of the crafty enemy swiftly approaching at her rear. A terrifying monster that had abducted and brought her to this foreign realm. Dare she say... youkai?

Due to her singular focus, it was not surprising when she stumbled over one of the many unobserved rocks loitering the path in which she fled. A strangled cry escaped when her ankle turned at an awkward angle, causing a loss of balance, and she collapsed to the ground with a solid thud.

Higurashi Kagome wiped at her moisture-laden eyes, concurrently wheezing from hurt and the exhaustion of her accelerated trek. She did not know what to do. After all, it was not every day that she was kidnapped, lost, injured, and hunted by a centipede woman searching for something called the Shikon no Tama.

This had to be a dream. No, not a dream - a nightmare. There was no other explanation.

Inspecting her swelling ankle, she irrationally wondered if pain was supposed to be felt in a nightmare. It had never happened to her before, so why now?

Nightmare or not, she needed to start moving. She had once been told that if you died in a dream-state, you would die in reality also. Hopefully, that was merely an old wives' tale because her chances of survival were dwindling more and more with each passing second.

Kagome had picked an inopportune time for analyzing the situation, as she was about to discover. Amidst regaining her footing, the dreaded youkai arrived. Well, she assumed it to be the youkai. A canopy of trees obstructed the sun's rays from illuminating the vicinity in which they were located, making it nigh on impossible to clearly view the monster. It was just as well though, for she would rather not have its hideous visage be the last thing she saw ere journeying to the hereafter.

"Momma... Souta... Ji-chan... I'll miss you."

Having despairingly whispered her final farewells, she braced herself for the pending attack while fervently praying that her demise would be fast. When nothing immediately occurred, her trepidation was replaced with annoyance. How dare that vile monster make her more anxious by delaying its attack! The nerve!

She was unable to hold her tongue and impatiently demanded, "What are you waiting for? Kill me already!"

At her command, two bodies neared and neither were the one she expected. The most noticeable was a statuesque, pristine clad man graced with a flowing white mane and beautifully impassive face. In contrast to the first's perfection, a miniscule, toad-like creature with bulging eyes, drab garments and a staff crowned by dangling skeleton heads stood at his side.

Was it possible? Could she be saved?

"Is she touched in the mind, Sesshoumaru-sama?"

The towering figure made no response.

Not to be deterred, the apparent servant pressed on, "Shall I, your faithful retainer, eliminate this mad and disgusting ningen in your stead, my lord?"

When no response was again forthcoming, the inquisitor advanced and prepared to swing his ghastly staff. He was halted mid-swipe by a trio of soft-spoken words. "Stand down, Jaken."

"My lord?"

"We do not cater to the whims of lower beings. If the ningen seeks death, let her find it elsewhere."

Well, that was that, she dismally thought. Angelic might be an apt description for the features of Sesshoumaru, but he was definitely not the face of her salvation.

Suddenly realizing she had been insulted, Kagome snapped out of her stupor. "Disgusting? Lower being? Lower being? Did you just dub me a lower being? Hmpf! I'll have you know, mister, that I'm good enough to be killed by the likes of you! Actually, I'm probably better than you deserve!"

"Silence, insignificant mortal! Do not be so disrespectful to Sesshoumaru-sama, the great Lord of the Western Lands!"

A surreptitious glance was cast in Sesshoumaru's direction. Remembering herself, she proceeded to give a sheepish shrug of the shoulders and tense, apologetic laugh. "Sorry, the name's not ringing any bells for me."

If feasible, Jaken's eyes bulged even more. So distressed at the considered offense, he forgot Sesshoumaru's decree and took a menacing step forward. He fully intended to reprimand her for the unintentional slight to his master.

Jaken's aim was thwarted by an enraged, feminine wail. "The Shikon no Tama is mine!" The staking was accompanied by the powerful swish of an elongated tail that propelled the diminutive green being a distance into the forest.

The centipede woman did not dither once Jaken was disposed of. She promptly impaled Kagome's side and wrought an anguished exclamation.

Kagome blearily caught sight of a small, unknown object sailing through the air as she toppled backwards. She was stunned, to say the least. Was that a jewel? Had it come from inside of her? Could it be the Shikon no Tama? Oh my...

Rumination came to a standstill as the ache in her side intensified. Yearning to block out today's tumultuous events, she permitted her eyes to droop shut. It was for naught. There was no reprieve to be found, especially when the terse conversation of Sesshoumaru and the youkai made its way to her ears.

"The Shikon no Tama is mine," the centipede woman reiterated.

Her fanatical declaration received a cold reply. "This Sesshoumaru cares not for that bauble."

"Then stand aside. Let me have what's mine!"

Kagome vaguely noted that Sesshoumaru must have stationed himself between the Shikon no Tama and its seeker. Odd, she had not heard him move. Could he really be capable of that kind of stealth?

Continuing to eavesdrop, it was clear that the instruction to stand aside was not adhered to. "You dictate to this Sesshoumaru? For that you shall perish."

A scuffle succeeded the death sentence and she willed one eye ajar to witness the confrontation. She was too late. Amazingly, the confrontation had concluded before she could complete the mundane action. Whatever transpired had been quick and brutal. Body parts were strewn all about the site, leading her to be overwhelmed by nausea. Never had she witnessed such a horrific scene.

Sesshoumaru was the incontestable victor.

Speaking of whom, she unavoidably blanched when he drew closer to her. His piercing orbs gave nothing away as he loomed. "You will live," he pronounced.

It was an order, she gathered. No matter how substantial the injuries, she would live because this... man... said so. He would not be denied.

Kagome was spurred on by his callous disregard for her well-being. She struggled to her feet, not wanting to appear weak. She forced herself to remain upright even though her legs trembled and threatened to give way.

"I will live," she wearily confirmed.

Without further ado, Sesshoumaru captured her wrist and pried the palm of her hand open. He placed the jewel in its cusp. "What is it?" she asked.

"A highly sought item, miko. An item you must learn to protect. An item you must guard with your life."

Miko? Protect? Guard with her life? What?

Jaken elected then to re-emerge from wherever he had been hurled, unwittingly flailing his staff. He bellowed in a ludicrous manner, "Where is the youkai that blindsided-"

He stopped at seeing the dismembered youkai and his elation was quite obvious. The look of relief vanished upon recalling his current company and he puffed out his chest in a prideful comport, exaggerating disappointment. "Oh, if only you had not chosen to challenge this pitiful youkai, Sesshoumaru-sama. I would have gladly slain it myself."

Sesshoumaru simply turned on his heel and directed, "Come." He was ready to depart.

Kagome was at a loss. Come? Was he talking to her? Jaken? Both of them?

While Jaken scurried to do his master's bidding, Kagome hesitated. Should she follow? Was being with this odd pair wiser than being alone? Sesshoumaru did defeat the centipede woman and did not covet the jewel. He also seemed to know what the jewel and its purpose were. She had questions; he had answers.

Decision made, she followed.

She apprehensively waited to be told to stay behind, but it did not come. None of the party spoke as they traveled.

When her fear of being abandoned at last subsided, Kagome began a silent chant. Please let this be a dream. Please let this be a dream. Pease let this be a dream...

TO BE CONTINUED

Terms To Know
Goshinboku: The God Tree.
Ji-chan: Grandfather.
Miko: Priestess.
Ningen: Human.
-sama: Denotes respect to a person of a higher social class, such as royalty.
Sengoku Jidai: A period of constant civil wars in 15-16th century Japan.
Shikon no Tama: Jewel of Four Souls. It is a powerful, sacred jewel that contains the souls of an ancient warrior, Midoriko, and many demons. To possess even a fragment of the jewel will dramatically increase its owner's strength.
Youkai: Demon.