InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Fate Unforeseen ❯ A Fate Unforeseen ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A Fate Unforeseen
 
 
 
There was a large, terrible crash.
 
In one second, the blood feud between two of the most feared demons (or half breeds, depending) in the Sengoku era was over. In a single second, our guardian, our savior was gone.
 
The one we had all thought indestructible brought to death, by this... this monster of a demon... his own brother.
 
But, as much as we were shell-shocked at the death of our only hope, the passing of the crimson bearing half-demon, it wasn't that that hurt us the most.
 
It was the very brother who brutally killed Inuyasha who we were grieving at, pouring our very souls into. And it seemed that whatever we were doing, it was working. There was a gasp- a gasp of pure remorse- and the dreaded Great Dog Demon, the one and only Lord Sesshomaru, was on his knees. Two hands covered a writhing head, a wringing crown of silver hair, tinted deep, metallic red in his own brother's blood.
 
In our pathetic little gang- for that was all that we were, all that we could be without Inuyasha- confusion settled in rather ungraciously next to shock and pain, and, of course, the immediate grief. It wasn't fair. How could Sesshomaru even pretend to care? How could Sesshomaru even have the mind- or the means- to sneak up on his brother on his night of weakness? The very night after the vicious murder of Naraku, the dismembering of the powers of Midoriko... the destruction of the accursed Sacred Jewel... how could it even have crossed Sesshomaru's mind... how could he have killed him?
 
How could Inuyasha be dead?
 
It was unreal. Inuyasha hadn't stood a chance. Even if he hadn't been human, even if he had been able to wield the heavy Tetsusaiga, Inuyasha couldn't have known of the sneak attack Sesshomaru had planned for him. Worst of all, even with my demon hunting skills, I couldn't do anything. He was always like that, always being the... the guard dog, right up until his last intakes of breath.
 
Inuyasha had died protecting us, had died looking after Kagome. He had run right into the attack blindly, as he always did. But he had never been human before when going into a large battle with Sesshomaru. Not that we knew of, anyway. But he saved us, taking his own life instead.
 
The surreal night was still; the wind seemed to hold its breath as it waited for life to return to one of the warriors that had been in the previous day's fight, the one where Naraku lost his power and thus, essentially, his life. The battle between us (including Koga, Sesshomaru, and a horde of other demons) against the darkest spot in the atmosphere- the one leading to Naraku's untimely death... it was as if the wind knew that one in that pack had died. Someone in that very group was no longer living, and it was for no reason. Inuyasha was dead because of an age-old grudge that Sesshomaru had wrought upon him. Hardly a reason to die, but Inuyasha had been slaughtered by Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru, the icy, stealthy, powerful, and just almost always angry older brother to Inuyasha. Not like Inuyasha had much of a choice but to fight for his life.
 
That was the Sesshomaru we knew. The Sesshomaru that Inuyasha had always known.
 
That was why we were so confused.
 
The dog demon, the feared Lord of the West, falling to his knees, deathly quiet, beside his dead, half breed little brother? It was unheard of. Yet we saw it. We saw him, on his knees; we heard his ragged breathing; hell, even the humans of our group could smell the death upon Inuyasha's lips.
 
Sesshomaru was brought to tears at the gruesome sight of his doing- the sight of his mauled, mangled brother. In a swift movement that we couldn't quite catch, Sesshomaru had a frozen hand in his iron grip, gently trying to ease life into it, trying to draw warmth to it. It was no use. The warmth had been stolen away by the very demon that was trying to bring it back.
 
The grey face, the stationary, dull eyes stared out unseeingly, no flickers of light or defiance or fear or joy or anything dancing in them. Staring out as if there was nothing to see; the once golden, fiery eyes looked; no, not looked, that would imply that there was life to see whatever it was looking at-- staring out as if the stars didn't seem to reverberate their disappointment at his passing.
 
Kagome had long since collapsed to her knees, threatening to drag me down with her. I stuck my boomerang into the ground at my feet and knelt next to her, keeping my eyes on Sesshomaru the entire time. He could not be trusted. He couldn't ever have been trusted. But now... now we didn't have the security, the protector, the rescuer that could save us from him should he decide to attack.
 
It seemed that it didn't matter, because Sesshomaru was showing no sign of doing anything except blankly staring at his brother. He showed no signs of hatred towards us, or even caring that we were there to witness him. Sesshomaru didn't even seem to care enough to pointedly ignore us. He was trapped in his own little world, holding his brother's hand, cheek coming to rest on Inuyasha's unmoving chest.
 
Miroku was too stunned to move. He just made a choking noise, almost as though he was trying to gasp and speak and breathe and swallow, all at the same time. Shippo had run off somewhere before the last battle, though it was more of an annihilation than a battle. All the same, I could just tell. He knew what had happened.
 
There had been a shockwave. A shockwave had been momentarily produced by the death of Inuyasha. It had been merely a faint ringing in our ears, but I could tell that it had been more to the demons of our group. Kirara had stumbled and almost ceased breathing as she had run out to save Inuyasha. We had seen the light, but not felt it as she had. As I was sure Sesshomaru had; I was sure that Shippo had felt it- there had been a long whimper coming out from one of the bushes nearby. Shippo had practically been Inuyasha's adoptive son. And Kagome had been his love, whether he would have admitted it as openly as she seemed to, or not.
 
Naraku may have been dead, once and for all, the Jewel may have been completed and destroyed, but this in no way settled the blood feud that Sesshomaru held Inuyasha captive in; and, as Inuyasha's final battle between life and death had lured him in and waged itself, there had been a change. There had been a change in the air. As Inuyasha drew his last breaths, he had choked out all but one word for his cold elder brother.
 
It had made no sense to us. Kagome had fallen face first into the ground at that, knowing that the words weren't meant for her. She had not risen from the crater-like hole in the ground, which we were so used to seeing from Inuyasha, in time to witness the shockwave of light shatter the darkness, pierce the deep night sky and its blinking stars. The shockwave that had been emitted from the last pound of Inuyasha's heart, the shockwave that we were never to see again, had been too fast for our human eyes, but I was positive that the demons could follow. But it had shot out all the same, at the sound of the one word for Sesshomaru. The single word that could mean so many things... but only could be placed in one way this time, and we knew it. Sesshomaru knew it.
 
“Aishiteruze... Sess...Sesshomaru.”
 
That had been it- it had been almost abruptly cut off by a few last gasps in a vain attempt to keep breathing, but it had been those last moments... the desperate, searching, mourning look that had taken up residence in Inuyasha's eyes, but, most importantly, a fierce, captivating gaze had said it all. It had been filled with more than words could say- but one of which being the look of both intense love and intense hatred at the same time.
 
Two hundred years of resignation, anxiety, agony, all and more conveyed in a single look. A single, heartfelt second before the brown eyes had turned and painted brilliant golden; a single, heartfelt second before the dark hair had been returned to its mimic of the moon's silver; a single, heartfelt second before Inuyasha's entire body had burst to life, on fire, alit. And, as quickly as that had happened- as in, all at once- the life had left Inuyasha; the fiery eyes had glazed over to match his sickly pale, grey skin.
 
And that was it. All life as we had ever known… it was gone... replaced by something that we didn't really care to find out much about.
 
An inhuman, agonizing voice had shone through the mist.
 
What have I done...?
 
And a cry, like no other, not one that we had heard before, or any of us have heard since, was released into the moonlit night.
 
A single cry.
 
And with that, a dagger shot out from an unknown destination—or was it from us, our group? —and pierced the humongous demon bent over our dead friend's body. Sesshomaru dislodged it from his arm, preferring to sink it elsewhere instead.
 
With that thought obviously implanted in his mind, a blood-ridden hand turned traitorously towards its own body. The crude metal, smelling of rust and dirt and grime and other unnamed things, things that we did not want to have to scent ever again, pushed its way through a small hole in the collar of Sesshomaru's jacket, leaving a small trickle of blood behind.
 
The cat at my knees mewled, and shot out at the demon, trying her best to do something before the inevitable occurred, but it didn't help, it couldn't help.
 
The dagger willed itself back, hovering dangerously over Inuyasha's cold, dead heart. Sesshomaru's gaze fixed somehow on both the dagger and the bloody mass settled coolly below him. His eyes pressed tightly closed, but it looked like he couldn't do it. Kagome let out a sob, finally lifting her head, only to catch the exact moment that the dagger plunged through skin and muscle and ribs, bones, barriers against the exact movement being made, and hitting its mark directly.
 
This new cry, the one erupting from the same person's lips as its predecessor, was even worse to listen to.
 
And after that, it could never be the same.
 
Chaos threatened to erupt everywhere. But the second shockwave scared me the most.
 
And with that, a faint ringing pushing us into a slow insanity, all humans, all demons, all fighters within a hundred miles' radius dropped, unconscious, hearts bleeding with the pain that only the gods could inflict.
 
They.
 
Were.
 
Gone.
 
 
…---…
 
 
Notes.
 
aishiteruze; means “I love you” (platonically) in some way, shape or form… I'm not entirely sure precisely what it translates to, but it's not exact… I'm actually sorry for using it at all. I really don't like it when author-folk use Japanglish in their writing; I didn't like writing it, either, but there really is no way to proclaim love specifically platonically in English, so sorry!
 
This is written in first-person, or primary view if you want to get technical... it's in Sango's point of view (I didn't make it obvious except for the fact that Sango isn't really mentioned, and her boomerang and demon-slaughtering skills are).
 
Well, I'll accept any questions, comments, etc… I'm not sure if the name I gave this makes any sense whatsoever, and I'm not good at summaries, so... sorry to anyone who was confused... I'm probably just as confused, if not more so, if that makes you feel any better.
 
Thanks to everyone who read the ORIGINAL (and terrible, although this is barely different) song-fic. Hope this rendition is not too bad... and sorry if Sesshomaru is WAY out of character... *smirks*. I don't believe his macho crap... inside, he loves his brother! Yeah, right. Well, now he does. Okay? Sheesh.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own ANYTHING in this, except for, of course, this one-shot itself. I don't own any of the characters from Inuyasha; that all belongs to Takahashi Rumiko, Viz, Sunrise, Yomiuri TV, Shogakukan, the other thousand companies claiming possession of any characters made before or after the original airing, etc…