InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Feudal Fairytale: The Begining ❯ "You're welcome, Lord Sesshoumaru..." ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

He didn't even open his eyes this time, he knew Rin was there. She wasn't crying, or she was doing a very good job of concealing it. He wanted to let her sleep, but he couldn't suppress a low growl. That was the pain, slowly taking over. And again, at even this miniscule sound, she looked up, only to see Sesshoumaru attacked by another wave of pain, "It hurts, doesn't it?" she asked quietly, not expecting an answer, "Yes Rin, very much, " he replied. She gave him a pitying look, laid back down, and, a moment later, gently placed her hand upon his. About a minute later, she fell asleep.
With a pang of guilt, he suddenly understood why Rin was so worried about him. Something was wrong. He lay there, dry and warm. But he didn't feel that way. He felt cold and guilty.
 
'I don't believe it! Rin could have DIED! I was hurt, becoming unable to protect her. Some warlord! I can't even deal with a small injury! I can not believe that I lost an arm and didn't even wince, but was scraped across the back and passed out! I am sure my father would never have been felled by a weak wolf demon!'
 
Suddenly he thought back to his childhood. All of the demons that has come to the castle suddenly appeared in his mind. They went into the castle, very few came out again. He remembered how his father had always encouraged him to push himself to the limits. He always paused and looked at Sesshoumaru's mother, who usually wasn't far away, before adding softly that it could mean the lives of the ones you loved.
 
'No! That doesn't apply to what's going on! I DON'T LOVE HER!' Sesshoumaru mentally cried. 'And even if I did...It couldn't happen. I'm a demon, she's a human. And lets not forget the 400-year age difference.'
 
His thoughts were interrupted when Rin suddenly sat up, screaming. Sesshoumaru opened his eyes and sat up quickly, too quickly. But he didn't care about pain now, Rin was scared, and he intended to remedy that. "Rin! What's wrong?" He asked, frightened.
Suddenly, Rin turned around and hugged Sesshoumaru, crying. "Lord Sesshoumaru! I had a bad dream! I woke up and tried to wake you up too but you wouldn't! You weren't breathing and I thought it was my fault because I couldn't protect you because I was asleep!" Rin was shaking now, and hugging him tighter. "Lord Sesshoumaru, I thought you had died!" Sesshoumaru, who couldn't bear to see her so distraught, tried to calm her down "Rin, do I look dead to you? You have nothing to worry about; I can take care of myself." But she wasn't convinced, so he tried something different. He pulled her away from him, setting her in his lap. "Rin, I understand that you are scared. Everyone gets scared, but-" But she cut him off, "Even you?" She asked, somehow still managing to play roll of the innocent one. He was silent for a moment, then, "Yes Rin, even me," She waited a beat, then, "Like when?" She asked, but she received no reply. She looked up at Sesshoumaru, and was surprised to see-no-it couldn't be- a tear crawling down his cheek, "When I lost you." He said simply, not knowing the surprise that created in the small girl, "What do you mean?" She asked, confused.
 
 
Sesshoumaru took a deep breath, "Did I ever tell you why I was under that tree when you found me?" Rin shook her head, not seeing where the conversation was going. "Well, InuYasha has a sword, you know the one, called Tetsaiga. There is a very powerful attack, known as "Kaza no Kizu", or "Wind Scar". That is the attack that injured me. Tensaiga, my sword, saved me, though not completely. But in a way it did, do you know why?" Rin shook her head again, still trying to figure out where this was going. "Because it sent me to the spot where you found me. So in turn, it did save me because it took me to you." She gasped a little, understanding hitting her. "Really?!" She asked, still in shock. He only nodded, deep in thought.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Flashback~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He saw Jaken off in a meadow, sitting on Ah Uhn, yelling something about, "It was a test!! Lord Sesshoumaru struck me down without knowing if I would survive!" He stood, even though there was no real difference, short as he was. "Sesshoumaru, you filthy dog! I've served you loyally for many years and this is how you repay me?" Annoyed, Sesshoumaru threw a stone at Jaken, successfully knocking him off Ah Uhn, probably knocking him out. To his dismay though, Jaken hopped up again, crying "Lord Sesshoumaru! Did you really strike me down with the uncertainty that I would survive?" Sesshoumaru wanted to do it again, too, but resisted. He threw a comment that Jaken should be happy to see him and Jaken was back, groveling at his feet.
There was a scent on the wind, a familiar one. Rin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~End Flashback~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was this thought that brought him back to reality. To looked down to see Rin with her eyes closed, leaning against him. He spoke softly now, so as not to disturb her.
"When I saw you lying dead on the road, I was devastated. I was determined tonot to lose you, so I used Tensaiga to bring you back. There isn't a day that I don't pray thanks to Buddha for awakening the sword. I think you ought to know the contentment that brought me."
Suddenly, Rin looked up into his eyes, and raised herself up. She then closed her eyes and kissed his forehead, murmuring softly, "Thank you, Lord Sesshoumaru." She then lowered herself and leaned against his chest and she was asleep almost immediately. Sesshoumaru laid down, Rin next to him. Once he was sure she was asleep, he whispered, "You're welcome Rin."