InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Feudal Fairytale ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Jinenji, who was now carrying an unconscious woman in his arms, was watching the imp, who was small in stature, struggle to attach something to the saddle of the lady’s horse. When he had finished, he swatted the horse firmly once with his staff and watched it gallop quickly into the surrounding forest.

“What was that you did to the saddle, Jaken?” the large hanyou inquired curiously.

“I attached a Chinese emblem to it,” the imp replied condescendingly. “That will arouse their suspicions. Once they find her dead body,” he exclaimed pointing to the woman in Jinenji’s arms, “on the Chinese frontier, they will assume that the Chinese rebels who have just recently defeated the Mongols are going to declare war against Japan to gain even more territory for their empire.”

“You never said anything about killing anybody,” the hanyou remarked with concern. He was only working for the heartless imp so that he could afford to care for his aged and frail human mother who had recently become ill. Already he had committed a series of misdeeds of which he was not proud, and he did not want the death of an innocent girl on his conscience.

“You were hired to help start a war. What, exactly, did you think that entailed?” Jaken taunted snidely as he began to walk toward the coast and the boat they had anchored nearby.

“I don’t think killing an innocent girl is right,” Jinenji stated, unfazed by the blatant rudeness of his employer.

“Did I ask what you thought, you lumbering buffoon?” the irascible imp squawked acrimoniously. “What happens to her does not concern you. I will be the one to take her life.”

“I agree with Jinenji,” Koga stated, voicing his opinion as they boarded their small, wooden craft. “Anyway, it’d be a waste to dispose of something so appealing,” he continued, examining the unconscious girl with hungry eyes.

“Oh, the clueless wolf actually has an opinion! Don’t be such an animal, that woman is human. Or do you long for offspring like him?” sneered Jaken in outrage, gesturing toward the hanyou. Koga curled his lip with distaste, his cerulean eyes ablaze. If the imp didn’t have so much valuable information, he would’ve dispatched him long ago for his impudence. “Just remember, without me, you will never come close to finding the whereabouts of the woman who murdered your brethren.”

Koga ignored the vexing imp and hoisted the sails as Jinenji hauled the anchor out of the water. When the two finished their tasks and the vessel had set sail, they exchanged a knowing glance as they sat down to rest next to the unconscious woman.

“That big-mouthed toad would keep his mouth shut if he knew what was good for him,” the wolf growled, glancing the princess from the corner of his eye. Jinenji chuckled softly in reply and then the pair settled into a comfortable silence.

At dusk, Koga decided he ought to light a lantern before night settled over the sea and swallowed them in vast blackness. He inhaled the salty sea air deeply, enjoying its novelty. He had never traveled across the ocean, and, although it was not something he would care to do often, he was enjoying it thoroughly. As he was enjoying the beauty of the sunset over the ocean, he caught a glimpse of a sailboat that appeared to be following them from a distance.

‘Eh, I’m probably just being paranoid,’ he reasoned to himself, placing his hands behind his head and reclining comfortably. He reveled in the golden light that poured onto the shimmering waves from the striking pink and orange sky. An unspoken gratitude for the fact that the rich purple clouds painted across the horizon did not hinder the rays that warmed his face was the last thought to cross his mind before he drifted off into peaceful slumber.

When Koga awoke he was surrounded by complete darkness save the silvery light of the moon and flickering lantern he had lit earlier. The complete silence that surrounded them was almost unnerving. He began to miss the consolatory chirping of crickets that usually brought peace to quiet evenings. Remembering the boat he had seen earlier that day, the wolf scanned the open water for signs of the vessel.

“Jaken, you sure no one’s following us?” he inquired.

“Why do you ask?” the imp rejoined in curiosity.

“Because, there’s a boat back there that’s been heading the same direction as us since dusk.”

“Coincidence!” declared the ugly demon definitively. “No one in China knows what we’ve done, and no one in Japan could’ve arrived so quickly.”

“If you say so,” the wolf said shrugging, “but it looks to me like he’s gaining.”

The imp opened his mouth to speak, but the stillness of the evening was broken by a resounding splash. Their captive had thrown herself overboard.

“After her you louts!” screamed the toad frantically looking from Koga to Jinenji.

“I can’t swim,” the large hanyou mumbled dejectedly.

“Pfft, and get my furs all wet? Who are you kidding?” the wolf retorted cheekily.

The imp screamed with frustration as the princess began to swim away through the inky waters. In front of her, a malicious-looking fin seemed to almost grow out of the sea. The young woman paused, unsure of her next move.

“That, Princess, is a member of the shark demon clan that rules these waters. I assure you, that fin is not the only one of its kind waiting for you to swim closer,” Jaken called out derisively. “If you swim back to us, you will not be harmed. I doubt those demons will offer you anything more appealing.”

The princess remained frozen in place, but she had paused long enough for Koga to steer their craft in her direction. The creature possessing the fin began to charge, the girl’s eyes widening in horror as she realized her fate. But before a scream could escape her lips, the massive half-demon snatched her from the chilly water by her waist.

Once safely on the boat, the princess sat close to the lantern, knees against her chest, her purple-tinged lips trembling as she shivered. Her deep brown eyes were fierce as she surveyed her kidnappers with distaste.

“I bet you consider yourself courageous,” Jaken scoffed, disdain for the human reflected in the slits of his yellow eyes.

“Only when compared to slime like you,"snapped the woman angrily, an equal amount of disdain resting on her angelic features as she turned her face away from the group proudly. Whatever these criminals wanted from her, she had determined they would not receive it.