InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ a forgotten love and a forgotten child ❯ Cold as Ice ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any other of the characters but I do own little Kaida.
 
 
 
 
A/N: Hello there everyone! I really do apologize for the hold on the chapters. A nasty virus attacked my unsuspected computer and everything had been erased. Including all my work for this story and explanations- FOR CERTEIN PEOPLE WHO DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE STORY SO FAR AND NEED TO BE DIRECTED IN THE RIGHT WAY. I do remind you this is MY fanfic. I do NOT own Inuyasha but I do own little Kaida and the way the fic goes is my own. I make the decisions of my fic and the plot is all written by me. If you don't like it too bad- go write your own fic because this one is mine. Get it. Got it. Good.
Okay so once again I would like to apologize to the people who really like my fic and the way it is, I'm sorry I haven't updated in forever! Thanks for being very supportive and I really enjoy your reviews (:
Thank you once again.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chp. 17- Cold as Ice
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
* * * * * * * *
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Inuyasha!” Miroku called, “Inuyasha where are you going?”
But Inuyasha ran through the forest, “I'm going to find her, Miroku, I'm going to find my daughter!”
”Inuyasha wait.” Miroku spoke sternly, it was more of a demand and Inuyasha paused, “What?” he snarled annoyed that he was being held back from his daughter just like in the past.
 
“You know what tonight is…” Miroku's voice lingered low in to a whisper. Inuyasha's eyes widened. He had completely forgotten…tonight. It was tonight- out of all nights it had to be tonight!
 
It was the night of the new moon.
 
Finally he sighed deeply after a long needed breath, “That does not matter. I'm turning human tonight which means she will too. Miroku she needs me now more than ever. I can't…I can't leave her. I won't loose her again.”
 
“You'll be in danger Inuyasha and so will she.”
 
Inuyasha turned back to his friend, a growl erupting from his chest. “There's still time before the sun sets.” And he was off.
 
“Inuyasha wait, at least let us come with you!” but it was too late and the hanyou had already disappeared through the trees.
 
Then I hand snatched him up in the air and he was lifted off his feet. “Whoa!” he gasped and looked up. “Come on Miroku what are you waiting for?” it was Sango perched upon a transformed Kirara. Shippo was sitting right behind her, “we have to help him find her.”
Miroku nodded and they helped him up onto Kirara's back.
 
 
 
Meanwhile Inuyasha jumped through the trees at all speed trying to catch a whiff of Kaida's scent or…of her blood. Neither came to him.
 
How far could she have gone? His mind growled. Why Kaida? Why did you run off like that? What in the world was going through your mind?
Then he remembered the night before.
 
 
 
 
 
 
The hanyou and the monk sat around a burning fire outside the small hut where Sango, Shippo and Kaida were supposed to be asleep.
Inuyasha kept his eyes on the fire rethinking of what he would do when he was to return his daughter back to her mother- Kagome.
 
His brows pulled together and Miroku glanced at him, “Is something bothering you my friend?” he broke the silence with his simple question. Inuyasha did not speak at first but he closed his eyes and took a deep breath.
 
“Thinking about Kaida aren't you?”
 
Inuyasha frowned, why did Miroku have to be right all the time?
“Yes I am. Is there a problem?” he snapped.
 
Miroku smiled, “No there isn't. However…may I ask what you plan to do with the child? How are you going to return her back to her mother? To Kagome.”
 
Inuyasha's nose scrunched, “Sometimes I think that Kagome doesn't deserve to have Kaida back.”
Miroku sighed, “Inuyasha don't be heartless. It's obvious the child misses her and you cannot keep her from her mother. Of all people you should know how Kaida feels…you lost your mother at such a young age.”
 
“I know. I know.” Inuyasha snapped again. “It's just that…” he paused as soon as Miroku cut him off, “You're afraid that as soon as you return the child Kagome won't allow you to see her.”
 
As much as he hated to hear it- it was the truth. His worst fear wasn't only losing Kagome but losing his daughter as well. He had grown so close to that pup and he couldn't bear to lose her. He wanted to remain in her life.
 
Then he snapped, “Keh! The best thing for her is to return back to her mother. I don't want her here in this village. I don't want her in this time. She's better of with her mother and not with me!” his voice was filled with annoyance and anger that his fist began to shake. “Miroku, Kaida does not belong here with us. She shouldn't even be here!” his voice was harsh and his ear twitched at the sound of a light step behind him however he ignored it and tried to keep his growls in a whisper; it wouldn't be good if Kaida awoke.
 
Miroku's glance softened, “You really care for her don't you?”
 
Inuyasha nodded and calmed down his anger but his fist was locked tight, “I just don't want her to get hurt. This era is too dangerous for her and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something ever happened to her. Not that I would allow it but…wherever she'll turn there will be a demon ready to kill her for what she is. She's a hanyou and she's not safe here... I- I was lucky, I survive but I don't want her to live the life I did...”
 
“But she has you, doesn't she?” Miroku asked pointing out the obvious.
 
“I just don't think I'm enough. Kagome is her mother and I know she suffers for her. Miroku her family believes her dead but Kagome refuses to let her daughter go…that makes everything harder. I have to return Kaida back home no matter what. Maybe she won't be accepted in Kagome's time but at least she won't be killed.”
 
Miroku sighed seeing Inuyasha's point of view, “You have a big heart my friend.”
 
Inuyasha scoffed, “Yeah, yeah, whatever.” And he crossed his arms and closed his eyes.
 
 
 
The memory was so clear to him. Of course it had just occurred the night before. Then suddenly Inuyasha stopped. “Wait…” he whispered to himself.
 
 
“Keh! The best thing for her is to return back to her mother. I don't want her here in this village. I don't want her in this time. She's better of with her mother and not with me! Miroku, Kaida does not belong here with us. She shouldn't even be here!”
 
His golden eyes widened and his lips parted. The light thud he had detected…Kaida must have heard everything he said. Had she taken it the wrong way?
 
“Oh no…” Inuyasha's whisper turned in to a growl and he jumped off the branch running through the forest. He looked up at the sky, he didn't have much time before the sun set and it would be impossible to find her.
 
Kaida wherever you are I have to find you.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
* * * * * * * *
 
 
 
 
 
 
The child was scrawny and weak with a toy red horse under her arm. Her pale face was dirty with dry tears and dirt. Perhaps some dry blood from light scratches she had received from tree branches or perhaps her own nails. She was dark haired and her eyes were a deep topaz. The child was miserable.
You could see it in her eyes.
 
However misery was not the only thing that lingered in her eyes. Frustration, hunger, fear, innocence and betrayal also lingered in those young eyes. Something had happened to this child. Something horrible.
 
Kikyou backed away but the young girl still held on to her for dear life and once again she whimpered the word “Momma”
Kikyou was not this child's mother. She had never even seen the child in all her life so why was she calling her that word.
 
Kikyou still had a heart (believe it or not) she knelt down to the girl's level. “What's your name little one?”
Little Kaida starred at the woman, “Momma it's me.” She frowned deeply with saddened eyes.
It was not possible that Kikyou had birthed a daughter- now around the age of five- and completely forgotten about her. No, no. It was not possible. Not at all, the child was not hers, she was sure of that.
”Listen child I am not your mother.” Her voice was calm but reasoning.

Kaida frowned deeper with frustration. Was her mother denying her now? “Momma don't lie to me!” she cried as she closed her eyes. “Don't lie!” even in pain her voice was beautiful, soft and sweet, filled with nothing but innocence. “It's me Kaida! Momma don't you remember me?” she looked down at her hands, “I look different now. I look different!” she repeated and the tears flowed down her cheeks.

Kikyou sighed feeling pity for the child. It was obvious she was helusinating and had no idea what she was talking about. How long had she been lost in the forest? If it was long it was a miracle she was still alive and a demon had not found her.
 
Perhaps the child had been stolen from her previous village and sold off as a slave. Perhaps she had finally been able to escape after so long and was in the search of her mother with a vague memory of what she looked like. But the child's soft hands showed no proof of hard work in the fields or in a wealthy family's home.
Her small hands had not touched hard tools of cleaned floors and a slave would not have something as precious as the bright red horse.
 
Then out of nowhere the child crashed in to her arms and Kikyou's eyes went wide. For a split second the child seemed familiar but without any more thought she pushed the girl away and she fell back with shocked eyes.
 
Kaida's browns pulled together, “Momma you're so cold.” Her little voice whimpered.
 
Kikyou glared at the child and stood turning her back to her. That word, that simply insignificant word, cold.
 
It drove her insane.
With nothing else to say Kikyou began to walk away and Kaida jumped up to her feet taking her horse with her. “Momma wait!” she called and hurried to catch up. Kikyou said nothing when the child caught up to her, she simply ignored her and planed to dump her at the next village she saw.
The night was still young- far from over- and the child looked like she would collapse any minute now. She wasn't very strong by her looks and her week limbs were struggling to stay strong. After all she was human.
 
Every minute felt like an hour and every step seized her legs with pain. She was not used to being human and pushing herself to the limits in her condition. Then without warning a violent cough escaped her lips and she fell to her knees.
Kikyou stopped looking back at her and Kaida knelt there covering her mouth with her small hands and when she pulled them away her eyes filled with horror to see specks of blood covering her little fingers and palms.
She looked quickly up to Kikyou who now watched her with a sympathetic look and gently picked the child up in her arms.

Kaida took a deep breath and closed her eyes to keep herself from screaming out in pain. Her small ribs felt like they were crushing her lungs and it burned when she breathed. It felt as if her insides were on fire but most importantly she tried to keep herself from crying. She did not want to look weak.
 
--
 
As soon as Kikyou entered a small clearing she lay the child down on the grass. “You lay here.” She ordered sharply. She had enough problems as it were and to top it off she had to care for this sick child who was possibly dying…
 
Kaida held tight to her horse as she lay still as she was told. It was the only memory she had of the village. Of the time spent with Sango, Miroku, Shippo and Kirara. Even the small time spent with Inuyasha. Kaida hurt from the memory and Inuyasha's voice rung in her head- taunting her.
 
“Kaida does not belong here with us. She shouldn't even be here!”
 
 
His words stabbed her little heart. That night she had awoken by the crackling of the fire and wandered off to the entrance of the hut she was about to call out to Inuyasha to complain about her sudden awakening when she heard his words. Her eyes went wide and she took a step back. The next thing that ran through her mind was: Run! He doesn't want you! Run!
 
Kaida whipped the tears off her face and sniffled once or twice. Of course she was used to running away from everything, hiding from anyone. And when she heard such cruel words coming from him she ran. She hid. What else could she do…
 
Kaida looked up at the woman she believed was her mother and frowned; this Kagome was so different, so distant and so cold.
After such a long time she had almost lost the memory of her mother but her dreams reminded her. However her dreams were so vague she did not remember much of her mother. Maybe a vague picture of her eyes and her lips, the color of her hair. But the memories of her warmth and her love did not leave her mind. They were so vivid, so clear, like a painted picture.
 
Kaida closed her eyes back up to weak to raise her body when Kikyou retreated in to the forest. Slowly she placed her hands weakly on her cheeks and felt her burning skin. She had come down with a fever, a result from her adventures in the forest during the new moon. She had no clue how much time had passed by when Kikyou returned and placed a wet cloth on her forehead. Kaida could feel her freezing hands and it made her shiver so like a stubborn child at a doctor's office she pushed Kikyou's hands away.
”You stubborn child that is enough.” Kikyou said sternly placing her hand on Kaida's cheek to feel her temperature.
 
“Nooo.” the little girl whined, the woman's hands were too cold, cold as ice and it bothered her because her mother's hands weren't cold. They were warm and soft to the touch. Over and over as stubborn as she was she pushed Kikyou's freezing hands away and inside she felt a void.
 
“Momma…” she began to whimper. “Momma…” over and over again but there was never an answer. She could not hear her mother's voice as her led heavy lids fell and everything became dark…
 
 
 
 
 
* * * * * * *
 
 
 
 
 
A/N: hope you all enjoyed. (: I was a bit rusty in this chapter and perhaps the next one will be longer.