InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Hanyou Reborn, Kagome's Change of Heart ❯ Going Backwards ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kagome collapsed onto her bed, shifting to rest her arms under her head, as she continued to stare at her ceiling. ‘ That feeling.... like a jewel shard was right there in the house... was it real’, Kagome thought. This simple thought had boggled her mind since she had arrived home. After Kagome had dropped off Hojo, she had sensed that a jewel shard was near by, and strangely enough it’s presence was radiating from within her own house. She couldn’t just ignore it for never had she sensed such a strong jewel shard, so she headed for her house. Inside she called out to Sota, who appeared looking shaken, and jumpy. When she asked him if he’d like to go out, he turned her down, with excuses of unfinished homework. Which would never have held him back before. She thought it weird, but wasn’t going to press the matter, so she turned and left. Still she could not push back the feeling of the jewel shard, and it would not leave her mind.



“ Was it my imagination, hopeful thinking, or was it real. Could the jewel shards have turned up in this time.... what... what is it?," She uttered, closing her eyes. She instantly opened them again, for fear of the image that appeared with thought of the past.



“ Stupid me, I hate thinking of the past. All I’m doing is torturing myself.... stupid... dog”. Kagome bit her bottom lip, as it began to tremble. She felt sorrowful for those memories that were so suddenly brought back at the thought of jewel shards. Why now, when she had finally began to move on. Why.










Inuyasha charged ahead, not bothering to wait for his navigator, he felt to anxious. He could almost sense her. Her scent floating on the breeze, so close. Sota could hardly keep up with the silver haired hanyou, he was moving so swiftly down the street, it was like he knew exactly where he was going.



“ Inuyasha, will you wait, you have no idea where your going," Sota called, running up beside him. Inuyasha snorted at him.



“ I can smell her, she’s close. I don’t need you," He said, a smile spreading across his face as they approached a tall building.



“ This is her building, her room number is four hundred seventy- five. I mean, do you know how to read?," Sota asked. Inuyasha sighed.



“ Of course not, stupid. I’m a demon, not a genius. I don‘t need to read," He growled loudly. Sota laughed nervously walking past the hanyou, who had paused in his pursuit to listen to the boy.



“ I suggest you follow me, and try to keep your voice down. Come on," Sota said, heading towards the apartment buildings entrance. Inuyasha sighed, and quickly followed after him.










Kagome was in her kitchen busily making herself a quick cup of tea, and a snack before she sat down to channel surf. She put on some water turning on her electric stove, then padded over to her fridge to search out something to eat.



“ Urge, I really need to go grocery shopping," She sighed, biting her bottom lip pensively. The only thing in her fridge was milk, and a few eggs, nothing she could work with, or wanted to. Kagome’s stomach grumbled loudly, and she was glad she lived alone.



“ Guess that settles that. I’m going shopping," She said, shutting the fridge door, and leaning over to turn off her stove. She hurried to her room to pull on a sweat shirt and grab her keys and purse.






As Kagome was locking up her apartment she suddenly felt the presence of a jewel shard, it startled her, and she dropped her keys. She quickly dropped to retrieve them, and just happened to miss seeing Sota and Inuyasha pop out of the elevator. Sota acting quickly hid himself and the hanyou in the staircase door. Kagome popped back up, and looked around searching out the jewel shard.



“ Oh... I’m being silly, there’s nothing here," She mumbled to herself, turning into the elevator.





Sota heaved a heavy sigh, and glanced over at the ever silent hanyou. He looked considerable pale, but yet a furious blush pronounced itself on his cheeks. Sota sighed getting to his feet, and helping up Inuyasha.



“ Inuyasha, do you want to wait here for her return?," Sota questioned. Inuyasha seemed to be staring intently at the spot where Kagome had once stood. Sota waved a hand in front of the hanyou’s golden eyes, gaining his attention.



“ Huh?," Inuyasha uttered.



“ Do you want to wait around for Kagome to come back?," Sota asked again.



“ Yeah. I’ll be fine, you go home," Inuyasha said, waving off the younger boy. Sota rolled his eyes, patting Inuyasha’s shoulder before he headed down the stairs. Inuyasha hardly noticed. ‘ Was that Kagome, she looked so... so different’, Inuyasha mused to himself. He sniffed the air, her scent wafting to his nose.



“ Yep, that’s her," He said with a smirk. He leaned against the wall, and watched the elevator waiting anxiously for her return.









Kagome hugged her arms around herself as she walked to the nearby store, it was cold. A frigged cold that made you wish you had someone to keep you warm against them. Kagome sighed, all night she had been feeling depressed about her state of life. She was single, working at a job she hated, and living in an apartment with no one to come home too. Where was her life going? She sighed, pausing a moment in her thoughts to watch the puff of frozen air form from her breath, she shivered.



“ I should of taken my car, stupid me," She grumbled. Luckily the store was close and soon she found herself safe inside the warmth of the store.



“ Well, if it isn’t Miss Kagome," Someone called to her. Kagome looked up at her name to meet a pair of blue eyes, and a cocky smile.



“ Oh, it’s Corey right?," Kagome answered, cringing slightly at his all to familiar face. Figures she’d run into him, after all the past had been haunting her all day.



“ Wow, you remember my name. That’s great," He smiled, walking towards her. Kagome smiled back, grabbing a grocery basket beside her feet.



“ Of course. I don’t usually forget people I nearly run over. So how are you?," She asked, putting on a cheery face. Corey smiled, shifting the paper bag in his arms to gaze more clearly at her.



“ Oh, I’m just great, and what of you?," He replied. Kagome bit the inside of her cheek, shifting the basket in her hands.



“ Good, just doing a little shopping," She answered. Corey nodded, still smiling.



“ Well, it was nice seeing you again, I hope we bump into each other again. It seems the fates are sending us a message," He chuckled. Kagome nodded laughing nervously, and scooted out of the way as he passed, waving a cheerful good bye.









Kagome walked home, the groceries in her hands weighing her down. She sighed, wishing she hadn’t loaded up on tuna cans, they were to heavy for her to carry. She looked at her feet as she walked, subconsciously navigating through the cracks in the sidewalk.



“ I’ll take sometime off work tomorrow...," Kagome mused. She sighed looking up, to spot her building looming just ahead. She shifted the bags in her hands to pull out her keys. She grumbled to herself, shifting the weight of her bags as she searched for them in her crowded purse.





Distracted by searching out her keys, she paid little attention to where she was going, which in a city was dangerous. She stumbled onto a small through street she had to cross to get to her building, and looked up just in time to see a truck barreling towards her. She froze, eyes wide and terror stricken, as the brakes squealed trying to stop.






Golden eyes, widen as a familiar scream reached his covered white dog ears. He raced down the sidewalk, from where he‘d sat waiting to catch Kagome as she first arrived home. He paused as just feet from him, was a raven hair girl with wide brown eyes about to be flattened by a huge truck. He ran faster, using his demon speed, as he knocked both her and himself out of danger. They landed with a thud on the sidewalk. The tuna cans rolled from the torn paper bag, but Kagome didn’t pat any mind as she stared up at her savior, and his strangely golden eyes.



“ Uh, t-thanks," She stuttered. He blinked quickly backing away from her, and helped her to her feet. He turned from her, and pulled the hood of his sweatshirt over his head. Kagome stared at him strangely, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear.



“ No problem," He said. His voice so familiar, it‘s gruff manner hiding the kindness behind his words.



“ Do, do I know you? You just seem so...," Kagome trailed off as a powerful charge hit her. She gasped, seeing the strong energy radiating from under this strange guy’s shirt. Kagome reached out toward him, and he snapped his head back, causing his hood to fall down.





His hair was short and silver, just as silver as his eyes glowed intensely gold. His face was pale, but a faint blush was it’s found across his cheeks from the cold, and something else. And on his lips he wore a small smile a sharp white fang sticking out at the side. Kagome nearly keeled over. How could it be.



“ Inu- Inuyasha...," She uttered. Reaching toward him again, she tugged at the hat he wore, and he didn’t resist as she pulled it off. Out form under it two white dog ears sprung loose and twitched catching sounds around them.



“ It, it is you... but how? why?, what are you doing here, I mea-”. Inuyasha stopped her, putting a clawed finger to her lips, and dropping it when she stopped.



“ Kagome, let’s talk somewhere else," He said, pulling his hood back on. He reached down to pick up her strayed groceries. Kagome just sighed, shaking her head as she gazed down at this phantom from her past.



“ All right, we can go to my apartment," She said, waving for him to follow. Though she seemed calm on the out side, inside she was fighting a losing battle. In her mind she knew he was just the hanyou who betrayed her, while in her heart he was still the one she loved. Her heart screamed out for her to embrace him and never let go, but she couldn’t not until he told her the his reasons for his return.