InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Hanyou Reborn, Kagome's Change of Heart ❯ Love Is Reborn, and So Is Inuyasha ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Kagome sat fidgeting on her couch. A cup of hot tea sat in her hands, as she stared at the crouched figure sitting in front of her. His hair had been cut short, and ears craftily hidden under a baseball cap, which she recognized as her brother’s. Inuyasha watched her intently with those golden eyes never wavering even as he sipped his tea.



“ Well, are you going to tell me what the hell your doing here, or are you just going to stare at me?!?," Kagome finally snapped . Inuyasha barely flinched at her words, and took a deep breath.



“ Naraku is dead...," He paused, still gazing at Kagome. Who seemed less then intrigued as to what he was saying.



“ Yeah, and what. Because I could care less," She replied dully, not meeting his eyes. Inuyasha sighed, placing his cup on the table, and sitting cross legged on the floor.



“ Kagome, Kikyo is dead as well. Pulled down to hell along with Naraku”. At this Kagome looked up, utter shock etched on her face.



“ W-what do you mean?," She asked cautiously.



“ Kikyo was the one who destroyed Naraku. She brought him down to hell with her. It’s over now, he’s dead and so is Kikyo”. Kagome blinked. Once then twice.


“ Yeah, b-but why have you come back. I thought it was clear that we had agreed to forget. Why are you really here Inuyasha. I know it’s not simply because you wished to tell me of these happenings.," Kagome replied coldly, sliding her cup onto the table. Inuyasha sighed, hanging his head.



“ I, I know that we agreed to forget.... but to forget someone who you truly care for, is one of the most difficult things. Kagome.... I could never forget you," He said slowly, lifting his head to meet her eyes. Kagome stared at him for a moment, trying to take in what he had said.



“ What are you trying to tell me Inuyasha?," She asked, watching him closely. Inuyasha sighed again, he’d been thinking this over for so long, trying to find the right words, and how he would tell her and now here he was.



“ Kagome, I’m saying that, that I love you, and I always have. I just never realized it until I lost you for real," He said. He waited for her reaction. Kagome bit her lip, which trembled with unease. She wasn’t sure how to react, she hardly even knew if this was just a dream.



“ I, uh. I can’t believe.... you’re here.... that you’re saying this. I don’t even know if this is real. Inuyasha, why are you here, why are you telling me this? What took you so long to come back... it’s been six years," She voiced, her chocolate eyes surged with tears. She slid off the couch and onto her knees, slamming her fists onto the table making the cups jump. Inuyasha looked at her in disbelief, a certain hurt showing in the depths of his eyes.



“Kagome...," He started. Kagome shook her head, and sat back on her feet, watching him.



“ Don’t tell me lies Inuyasha... you’ve never cared for me, you’re were just like Kouga, using me for my powers. You loved Kikyo, I know you still do..... so don’t tell me you love me, because I don’t believe it. Inuyasha, it doesn’t take fucking six years to realize that you love someone. All right, it just doesn’t. So don’t say that.," She practically screamed the last part. Inuyasha seemed at a loss for words, and just stared at her. Kagome looked at him with an almost crazed look in her eyes. They sat there for the longest time, in complete silence. Kagome was first to end it, by letting out a quiet sob. She sat back and wiped her eyes.



“ I…I’m sorry," She said quietly, not looking at him. Inuyasha gazed at his hands and then up at Kagome’s hunched form.



“ No, Kagome.... I’m sorry, for waiting so long," He said. Kagome quivered, and looked into his golden eyes. She saw the truth, that he really loved her, that he was indeed scared of hurting her.



“ Inuyasha, I.... are you going to go back to the feudal era?," She asked. Inuyasha shook his head.



“ No, there’s nothing left for me in that time. Everything I want is here," He said, a small smile playing on his lips. Kagome sighed, and nodded.



“ Can you tell me again.... what you feel," She said, leaning over the table staring straight into his eyes. Inuyasha smiled, and leaned forward as well.



“ Kagome, I love you," He said softly, then he closed the space between them, his lips brushing against hers. Kagome pulled back looking at him shock, but smiled.



“ Inuyasha....," She laughed lightly, causing him to blush slightly.



“ Sorry, I thought that‘s what you wanted," He said sheepishly, sitting back. Kagome’s smile widened and she pulled him back towards her. Bringing his lips to hers again in a crushing kiss. Inuyasha was surprised but didn’t pull back, but leaned into it more. Kagome pulled back after catching her breath, her cheeks red as can be.



“ I love you too. Inuyasha," She said. She laughed as she shifted her hand through his shortened hair. “ I like your hair, it’s nice”. Inuyasha sighed wearily.



“ Yeah, Sota cut it. It’s different, but necessary... if I’m going to live in this time.," He said. Kagome laughed, her hand brushing against his cheek as she let it drop. She got to her feet and looked down at him.



“ I think you’ll need some clothes too. Sota will eventually be needing those ones back. I guess I can take you out shopping tomorrow," She said. Inuyasha blushed and got to his feet as well. “ It’s late, and if we’re going to go shopping we’ll need sleep. Come on I’ll show you were you can sleep”.



“ Can’t I sleep with you?," Inuyasha asked, a toothy grin on his face. Kagome rolled her eyes at him and walked out of the room. Inuyasha just smiled and followed her.





Kagome showed him her spare bedroom and stood watching him as he looked around. Him sniffed the bed, and looked into the small closet there, a confused look on his face. He turned to Kagome to ask her a question, but she just shook her head.


“In the morning Inuyasha. Just go to sleep for now,” She told him. He just nodded, and went over to the bed, sitting down on the edge. Kagome smiled and then left him to himself. She needed to call into work and tell them she wouldn’t be in, then she needed sleep. Tomorrow was going to be a long day.










Inuyasha hadn’t slept most of the night. He was up thinking about the girl that was just down the hall. He couldn’t believe he was here, in this time, where he could finally be with his mate. But still it felt that there were so many things that they had not addressed the night before. He wanted to tell her how he had waited, and how their friends had missed her. He wanted to hold her, and stroke her hair. But there would be plenty of time for that, because now he was with her, and he wasn’t going to leave her side.




Around eight or so he heard movement from Kagome’s room. He jumped up from the bed and went to investigate. Her door was wide open, and he stared in wonder as she stood standing on her balcony. She stretched her arms high above her head, and let the wind catch her hair. She was beautiful, he stared at her for a few moments, before he stepped into the room. He went over to Kagome and stood behind her.



“Good Morning,” He said quickly. He caught her of guard and she whirled around, smacking him in the face.



“Oh my gods, Inuyasha. I’m sorry,” She shouted frantically realizing what her she had done. He stumbled back slightly, and reached for the red welt on his cheek.



“Ow, you hit hard,” He grumbled rubbing his cheek. Kagome bit her bottom lip and then sighed.



“I didn‘t mean to hit you. You, you just startled me. Don‘t ever do that again,” She told him, getting mad. He rolled his eyes, dropping his arm to his side.



“Keh, you just scare to easily,” He told her. Kagome shook her head, and walked past him to her door.



“I’m going to take a shower. Then we can head out and get you some clothes,” She told him, and then she disappeared down the hall. Inuyasha couldn’t help the smirk that found it’s way onto his lips. He took a seat on her large bed, taking a deep breath.



“This room, smells like Kagome,” He said. He smiled then and leaned back on her bed, closing his eyes. Her scent was relaxing to him, and he couldn’t help the sleep that suddenly took hold as he slipped into a light slumber.










When Kagome returned to her room, she wasn’t surprised to see Inuyasha was still there, and she smiled noticing he was fast asleep. She wrapped her towel tighter around herself, and then turned to her closet to find something to wear.




She pulled out a pair of hip hugger jeans, and a pink long sleeve shirt. She laid them out on her pillows and then nudged Inuyasha. He grumbled, cracking an eye to look at her.



“What?,” He asked. Kagome rolled her eyes.



“I need to get dressed. Now leave,” She told him. Inuyasha smirked, but Kagome just gave him a warning gaze and he slumped off the bed and left the room. When he was out Kagome quickly shut the door and went to getting dressed.







Kagome came into the living room to find Inuyasha sitting on the couch. She rested her hand on her hip as he looked up at her. He smiled at her and then reached under his sweatshirt and pulled out the completed Shikon no tama from where he‘d worn it around his neck.. He held it out to her. Kagome looked at it in shock.



“Is that-”. Inuyasha nodded, and stood.



“Yeah, it’s complete. It had come all together in Naraku’s body. He had gotten a hold of all the shards, including Kouga’s. Miroku, he worked hard to purify it, after we got it back. I think you should keep it. You’re it’s protector now,” Inuyasha told her. Kagome smiled, and reached out to take it from him. It shined momentarily, and Kagome felt it’s radiating power.



“You, you didn’t use it to become a full demon?,” She asked him. Inuyasha shook his head.



“I realized that being all demon, wasn’t worth losing all my friends”, He told her. Kagome smiled, as she slipped the necklace around her neck. Her looked down at it, and felt happy to have it. She felt truly honored that Inuyasha would give up his deepest wish to keep his friends.











Inuyasha came out of the dressing room, an expression of disgust on his face. Kagome smiled, holding back giggles at his face.



“I look stupid,” He grumbled. Kagome shook her head, as she reached up to finger at the jewel around her neck. He had said the same thing to every outfit he tried on. At the moment he was wearing a pair of tight fitted jeans and a tight long sleeve t-shirt the had a logo on it. On his head he still wore Sota’s baseball cap. Kagome thought he looked rather handsome.



“You look good. But if that’s how you feel, why don’t you pick out something, since you have yet to like anything I’ve gotten you,” She told him. Inuyasha smirked and marched over to a rack of jeans. He pulled out a pair of loose fitted red washed jeans, and then headed over to a shirt rack to pick out a bright red shirt that was two sizes to big. Kagome rolled her eyes at his choices.



“Inuyasha, those don’t go together. You can’t wear those,” She told him. He turned to glared at her, and then looked down at the items in his hands.



“I like red. Why can’t I wear these,” He asked. Kagome rolled her eyes again, and went to stand beside him. She picked through a few shirts before she found a black fitted shirt with a red bull design on it. She took Inuyasha’s red shirt and then handed him the one she had.



“Now, go try on these. I bet you’ll like them,” She said. Inuyasha just growled and headed back to the dressing room, slamming the door. She went back to the shirt rack and picked out another black fitted shirt, with an attached red shirt showing beneath it.



“Ok, I like this,” Inuyasha announced as he stepped out of the stall again. The jeans clung to his hips and butt, but were looser on his legs, and in a boot cut. The fitted shirt clung to his muscular chest showing it off, but also having a slimming affect. Kagome felt herself blush as her eyes roamed over him.



“Well?,” He asked impatiently. Kagome looked up to his face, and flushed deeper.



“I-it looks great. I like it,” She stuttered. Inuyasha smirked, before he went back into the dressing room. Kagome let out a breath when he disappeared and then turned back to the shirt rack picking out two more shirts. One fitted red one and then a fitted dark blue one.



“Inuyasha, do you want me to get you two more pairs of those jeans?,” She asked him, coming up to his stall. The door swung open and Inuyasha stepped out clothed in his original wear.



“Yeah, and I want a sweatshirt too. Like the one Sota gave me,” He said. Kagome nodded, and then took the clothes he wanted, as he handed the other reject clothes to the dressing room clerk.



“Inuyasha, we’ll have to get you some boxers as well, so you head over to the underwear section and I’ll meet you over there,” Kagome told him. Inuyasha just sighed and headed off to where she was pointing. Kagome smiled watching him leave, before she went to pick out his jeans and a sweatshirt.










Later on in the day Kagome and Inuyasha found their way to the small coffee shop down the street from her apartment. She sat Inuyasha down at a table with their bags and then went to order, luckily the café wasn‘t busy during the afternoon.



“Good afternoon. What can I get you?,” The girl behind the counter asked. Kagome smiled back, and scanned the menu.



“I’d like a regular coffee with extra cream, and an orange juice. Plus two plain bagels,” Kagome told her. The girl nodded and typed in the order the cash register popping open with a bing.



“That comes to five fifty,” The girl informed her. Kagome nodded handing her six, and then with her change came her order. Kagome thanked the girl and then headed back to the table. Inuyasha smiled at her as she set down the tray and gave him his orange juice and bagel.



“What’s that, it’s smells kind of good?,” Inuyasha asked, pointing to Kagome’s cup.



“It’s coffee, you wouldn’t like it,” She told him, dumping a sugar packet into her drink. Inuyasha glared at her.



“How do you know, let me try some?,” He said, reaching for it. Kagome slapped his hand away, and glared at him.



“Really, don’t be such a child. I know for a fact you aren’t going to like it. So knock it off,” She warned. Inuyasha growled at her, but didn’t try again. He didn’t want her to get mad, cause he knew it would be bad.



“So, you never showed me what you got?,” He asked, changing the subject. Kagome reached up to finger at the jewel again as she looked down at the bag resting against her leg.



“Well, that’s because I’m allowed to keep secrets,” She said, a smile gracing her lips. Inuyasha growled playfully, and he smirked.



“Did you get some of those stringy red things. I liked those… um, thongs. Right,” Inuyasha asked. Kagome blushed, letting a giggled out.



“Did you? Do you even know what a thong is?,” Kagome asked, eyeing him. Inuyasha huffed, folding his arms across his chest.



“Yeah, their underwear for ladies. The girl in the picture above the table was wearing one,” He said indignantly. Kagome snorted, covering her mouth with her hand as she laughed.



“Ha, Inuyasha. You are priceless,” She laughed. Inuyasha felt himself blush as she laughed at him, and he growled at her.



“Stop laughing. Kagome, stop,” He growled, his cheeks stained pink with embarrassment. Kagome snorted again, before she finally calmed down enough to look up at him with humorous eyes.



“I’m sorry, but that was just too funny. Ok, I’ll stop,” She said, as a giggle erupted from her again. Inuyasha just sighed, and slumped down in his seat. Kagome stopped, finally and smiled at him.



“You done?!,” He asked in exasperation. Kagome nodded, and he sat up.



“Don’t be a grump. Now eat your bagel,” She scolded him. Inuyasha just growled again, taking a bite out of the round bread. Kagome couldn’t help but smile as she watched him. He was too cute when he blushed like that. Maybe things could work out. She’d just have to wait to see.