InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Hanyou Reborn, Kagome's Change of Heart ❯ It All Comes Down To This ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The kitchen fell silent as both Sota and Mrs. Higurashi stared at the hanyou. Sota blinked, before a wide grin spread across his face.



“Finally!,” He exclaimed, clapping Inuyasha on the back. Inuyasha grinned again.



“Well, now that I have a job I will be able to buy her one,” He told the younger boy. Sota laughed happily before turning to look at his mother who had yet to say anything. Mrs. Higurashi brought a hand to her chest, as tears sprung to her eyes.



“This is wonderful,” She whispered, a smiled spreading across her face. Inuyasha nodded.



“I’m overjoyed, Kagome will be so happy,” She said, she fell silent again as Sota bombarded Inuyasha with questions.
Mrs. Higurashi smiled to herself, she just knew Kagome would be happy. Inuyasha would be sure to make a good husband, he was devoted and couldn’t love her anymore then he did.



“So, where are you going to go on your honeymoon?,” Sota asked giving him a wink. Inuyasha raised a questioning brow at the younger boy.



“What the hell is a honeymoon?,” He asked. Sota burst out laughing before he could stop himself, but Inuyasha ignored him returning to Kagome’s mother. She smiled at him kindly, and slipped into the seat across from him.



“I don’t think you’ll need to buy her an engagement ring,” She told him. Inuyasha looked at her bemused and she just shook her head.



“I want you to give her mine. It was my great grandmothers and it has been passed down from generation to generation. I would be so proud to see Kagome finally get to wear it,” Mrs. Higurashi told him. Inuyasha smiled at this, and then he rose to his feet to follow Kagome’s mother as she went to retrieve the precious ring.










Sara had starry eyes as she gazed at the ring settled in a velvet case. Inuyasha had come into work that night wearing an almost gleeful grin. He had announced to them he was going to ask Kagome to marry him, and Sara had jumped for joy. Well as best as a pregnant woman could. Moshi clapped Inuyasha on the back, a wide grin on his face.



“She is a lucky woman. My best wishes to you both,” Moshi said. Inuyasha grinned again, he had never smiled so much before, and his cheeks were starting to hurt.



“Thanks,” Inuyasha replied sheepishly. Sara smiled at him, and raised a hand to her flushed cheek.



“Oh, I can picture it now. The day Moshi proposed to me. He had taken me to a fast food restaurant, because he had been low on cash, and then he had gotten down on his knee before me, in front of all those people, and asked me. Oh, I cried and could hardly get out the word yes. The people all applauded… It was the best day of my life,” Sara reminisced. Moshi’s cheeks held the faintest blush as Sara looked at him dreamily. Inuyasha rolled his eyes as he disappeared into the kitchen to get his apron.










Kagome glanced across the table at her ever silent brother. He had been then one to call her that night and beg her to go to dinner, saying he had so many things he wanted to talk about. And now here she sat with her brother just glancing around the restaurant. She sighed, and glanced over to the entrance hall, where she could see Sara sitting at her little welcome booth.



“Sota, why did we come here? I don’t think Inuyasha will be very happy about it,” She asked, finally gaining her brothers attention. He just shrugged at her.



“I don’t think he’ll mind. He told me he looked it when there was a familiar face her could wait on,” Sota replied. Kagome raised an eyebrow at this, but couldn’t get out a retort as their waitress arrived. She was cute, and bubbly, with wild blonde hair and laughing green eyes.



“Good Evening, My name is Sherri and I will be your server. What can I start you off with?,” The girl asked merrily. She smiled at Sota, who blushed, and fumbled around with his menu.



“Um, uh. I’ll have a coke,” He managed, blushing profusely. Kagome held back a chuckle at this and then ordered her drink as well, before sending a knowing look to Sota.



“She was cute,” She said in an offhanded way. Sota flushed again, and purposely turned to gaze out the window beside him. Kagome let out a small chuckle before opening her menu and gazing at the contents.



“So, anyways. Why did we come here again?,” She asked, not looking up from the menu. Sota glared at the top of her head, before rolling his eyes.



“Inuyasha works here. And he is your boyfriend, so I thought you’d like to visit him,” Sota told her. Kagome snorted at this and glanced up.



“What happened to all that important stuff you wanted to tell me about. Did it fall out your mouth while you were gaping at the waitress,” She teased.





“No. You know I was trying to be nice and do some sibling bonding and crap,” He muttered bitterly. Kagome rolled her eyes, and then fixed him with a glare.



“Whatever, you say,” She replied. She sighed and then put a pleasant smile on her face as she continued. “So Sota, how was your day?” She asked in a perky tone. Sota winced.



“Cut it out. You’re acting stupid,” He scolded. Kagome smiled at him again and then went back to her menu.



“Geez Sota, could you be any grouchier,” She smirked. Sota did the only mature thing he could think of, he stuck out his tongue at her.










Inuyasha sat down with a heavy sigh. He had told Sota to bring Kagome tonight, so he could propose, but he had yet to find a second to do it. He’d been swamped with tables, and kept messing up their orders because he was so nervous about asking Kagome. He’d catch her talking with Sota, and he’d see her laugh or smile and he’d get this nauseous feeling in his stomach.



“Sooo, how’s it going?,” Moshi asked, looking up at the tried young man. Inuyasha rubbed his temples.



“It’s all gone to hell,” He muttered in reply. Moshi chuckled slightly, and stirred something in the pot he slaved over.



“Ah yes, nervous because you fair maiden is amongst the crowd. I assure you there is nothing wrong with being nervous,” Moshi told him. Inuyasha just shook his head with a sigh.



“Yeah, well I’ve never been one to get nervous, I’m just so swamped with tables I can’t find one second to go and see her,” He replied, which was partially true. Moshi just nodded sympathetically.



“Ah, yes. It is a rather busy night. I just knew you would be good for business,” He smirked. Inuyasha slumped off his chair and then was out the kitchen door before Moshi could say another thing.










Kagome glanced around the crowded restaurant, she spotted Inuyasha as he carried two trays of food to a table. He held them without strain, balancing them with an ease all his own. Kagome smiled in admiration. He was always so graceful, she could only ever hope to have such ease of movement.



“He’s good at this job,” Sota said, gaining her attention. Kagome nodded at this, and then took then last sip of her drink.



“Well, I’m stuffed and tired I think it’s about time to go,” Kagome announced. Sota looked at her a bit startled and then jumped to his feet.



“Um, I’ve got to pee. You pay and I’ll meet you outside,” He said suddenly, making a dash for the restrooms. Kagome rolled her eyes before flagging down the waitress and asking for the check.










“Inuyasha!”. Someone yelled to him their voice a hushed whisper. He looked around a corner and found Sota waving at him frantically. He sighed and made his way over to the frantic boy.



“What the hell is your problem?,” He asked gruffly. Sota scowled.



“Kagome, she wants to leave. If you want to ask go now,” He said forcefully. Inuyasha blinked, and then gave a shrug of his shoulders.



“It’s not like I’m not going to see her tonight,” He said casually. Sota smacked his forehead, and then gave him a irksome glare.



“You’re the one who planned on asking her here. Why don’t you just go and do it!,” Sota said rather loudly. Inuyasha sighed and scratched at one of his covered ears.



“I don’t want to embarrass her. Besides I don’t have time to go and ask her, I’ll get in trouble,” He told him. Sota laughed, and rolled his eyes.



“Please I’m sure Sara and Moshi wouldn’t yell at you for proposing to Kagome. I’m sure they’d let it slid,” He said. Inuyasha growled at him, and then took a haughty stance and sighed in exasperation.



“Whatever. I’m still going to wait. Now I don’t have time for you, I’ve got tables to get back to”.



And then he was gone, disappearing once again into the kitchen. Sota scowled at the swinging door before he made his way back to Kagome.










Inuyasha sighed as he made his way home. His pocket weighed down from his money envelope and the small velvet case holding a sparkling engagement ring. He was tired, and somewhat stressed out.



‘So I chickened out. There isn’t any reason why I should feel stupid’, He reasoned to himself. He sighed at himself. He was pathetic since when had he become such a boneless puppy.



‘Since I met Kagome. Since I fell in love”. He almost laughed at how cliché that sounded, but it was only the truth.



‘I’ll ask her tonight. I’m going, right after dinner,’ He told himself. He smiled at his resolve, and then continued on his way.










Kagome stood up fro her seat on the floor and popped her back before leaning down to pick up her bowl and Inuyasha’s. He grunted a thank you at her and then continued watching the movie that was on. Kagome just sighed and went to wash up the mess in the kitchen. Inuyasha turned to her then, and opened his mouth to tell her to wait, but his voice failed him. He sighed and shook his head at his cowardice.



‘When she comes back, I’m asking her,’ Inuyasha told himself.



Kagome took her time washing the dishes, and then hung them in the drying rack before slumping back into the living room to sit on the couch. She plopped down heavily, and ran a hand through her mussed up hair. Inuyasha surprised her as he reached to the clicker and turn off the television. She watched as him carefully as he sat down beside her, and then turned to look at her.



They sat there for a few minutes in complete silence. Kagome staring at him expectantly, and Inuyasha just observing the girl before him. He finally made eye contact, and a small genuine smile crept onto his lips. Kagome was somewhat confused by this.



“I don’t really know how to go about doing this…but,” He sighed, and reached into his pocket. Just as he got the velvet case free though the phone rang suddenly, surprising them both. Kagome smiled at him before jumping to her feet and going to retrieve the phone from the kitchen.



“Hello?”. He heard her ask.



“Oh my gosh. Hojo, how are you?,” Kagome gasped, sounded excited. Inuyasha scowled, and slipped the velvet case back into his pocket.



“I know, it has been awhile. Oh, no I wasn’t doing anything important,” She said. With a heavy sigh Inuyasha got up from his seat to go into the kitchen and sit on a stool by the table there. Kagome was sitting opposite him, a smile on her face as she giggled at something Hojo said over the phone.



“No. Well, I’m not working next Sunday. No, well you could come over. Yes, of course,” Kagome continued, laughing and ‘uhuh-ing’ , for at least another twenty minutes. Finally she seemed to be ending the conversation.



“Yes, well I look forward to seeing you as well. Yeah, I’m glad you called too. Okay, bye then”. She hung up the cordless phone, and held it in her hand, giving a contented sigh. She smiled at Inuyasha, who had tapping his claws on the table.



“Who was that?,” He inquired. Kagome shrugged, dropping down off her seat and heading back to the living room.



“Just an old school friend,” She replied over her shoulder. Inuyasha scowled and then followed her.



“So, what’s all this about next Sunday?,” He asked. Kagome laughed, and took a seat on the couch placing the phone on her lap, Inuyasha sat beside her.



“He’s coming over for a visit. I’m sure you’ll like him, he’s very kind,” She replied. Inuyasha growled at this, and sent her a glare.



“Hobo’s a he,” He ground out. Kagome frowned at him.



“Yes. Hojo, is a guy,” She replied. Inuyasha just sighed before he glared off at the wall. There was silence again, and then Inuyasha finally turned back to Kagome.



“I was trying to ask you something before we got interrupted,” He said, giving her a serious look. Kagome nodded, and he met her eyes again.



“I was going to ask you at work, but I never found the time…,” He started to reach into his pocket again, and grasped the velvet box firmly in one hand pulling it free. Kagome watched him, an air of confusion and annoyance hanging about her. Inuyasha sighed as he held the small box hidden in between his two large hands. Kagome looked at his hands, and then back at him meeting his eyes.



“I don’t think I could have ever become the person I am now, if it hadn’t been for you. Kagome, you truly are the kindest and most caring person I’ve ever crossed paths with,” He told her. Kagome smiled at this, and he sighed, suddenly feeling more nervous at her attention.



“That’s so Inuyasha,” She cooed, causing him to blush. He pushed aside his anxiety before slipping off the couch to kneel. Kagome gave him a curious look, and opened her mouth to ask what he was doing, when of course, the phone rang. Again. Kagome sighed, and Inuyasha let out a furious growl.



“Hello?,” She inquired.



“Oh. Yes, sir. Well, I hadn’t any knowledge of who the case was going to... No, I didn’t think I was in charge of it, I’ve already got two cases I’m working on…well, no….. Mr. Tenchao I can’t take on another case… No, I’m already under pressure from the two I have”. Kagome sighed as she listened to her boss. He carried on for five minutes, and Kagome’s brow knitted together with frustration.



“No, I will not take another case. I haven’t the time or the resources for this type either… No, I don’t care,” She replied heatedly. “No, is my final answer Mr. Tenchao…Goodnight”.



Kagome gave a loud sigh dropping the phone back into her lap, before rubbing her temples. Inuyasha gave her patient look, before clearing his throat to gain her attention.



“What Inuyasha,” She asked, glancing at him. Her mouth fell slightly open as he held out a small velvet box to her.



“What’s this?,” She asked, taking it from him. He sighed.



“I was going to get you one of your own, but your mother insisted I give you this one,” He replied. Kagome looked at him curiously, before slowly opening the box.



Kagome gasped, and let a hand flutter to her mouth as she stared at the ring inside. It was white gold, a shining diamond held in the center of it by engraved clasps. She knew what is was, and it brought tears to her eyes.



“Kagome,” Inuyasha started. She looked up at him, and he grinned at her. “Kagome, you’ve taught me so much, and showed me what it’s like to be excepted. I would be the luckiest hanyou to ever live, if you would say yes… Please, will you marry me?”.



Kagome looked back to the ring in it’s case, and then back to the man kneeling before her. She felt a tear slowly slip down one cheek, as she closed her eyes.



‘Dreams do come true’.