InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A New Life ❯ A Dinner Surprise ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

((I never have…never will.))
 
A New Life With Old Friends
 
 
Ch. 4 Dinner Surprise
 
 
 
As Kagome walked up to her new home, she paused, a shiver running down her spine. She looked around, getting the strangest feeling of deja vu, but shrugged it off as absurd.
 
She walked in and threw her bag in her room on the way to the kitchen. Lydia's house was small, but homely. It was a nice split-level home on the edge of town.
 
Kagome loved the way Lydia had so many gardens. She had three different sized gardens, each containing beautiful flowers that complimented each other perfectly. She also had a small, peaceful Japanese garden in the backyard, surrounded by trees.
 
Kagome rested her hand on the counter, gazing into the backyard through the window. She smiled, thinking about her day. After the initial shock, she had had a pretty normal day. Kouga and Shippo wanted to spend more time with her, but she felt overwhelmed, and told them that she would have dinner with them tomorrow. Kouga had originally wanted to be with her alone, but Kagome had insisted on her son coming along. Kouga didn't look too happy, but he agreed.
 
She looked down, then realized she was staring at a note.
 
`Geez, I really need to pay more attention.'
 
“Kags,
I'll be a little late today, we're getting a new doctor in and I'll be showing him the ropes since I'll be working with him the most. Make yourself whatever you want for supper.
See ya,
Lydia”
 
Lydia was a nurse at the local hospital who worked with the surgeons. As such, she also got volunteered to show the new doctors around.
 
Kagome hummed absently as she made her way around the counter, planning on making a sandwich for supper. She had her head in the fridge, searching for some mayo, when she heard the phone ring. She turned around, and saw the phone lying on the counter.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Hey Kags, it's Lydia. I hope you haven't made supper yet. Have you?”
 
“No, I was just about to make a sandwich, why?”
 
“Well, I was showing the new doctor around when he mentioned he had to go unpack yet. So I told him to come have dinner with us. I hope you don't mind.”
 
“Not at all. Some company will be nice.”
 
“He's not the most talkative person there is, but he seems like a nice guy. Young too, if I weren't twice his age, I think I'd have a crush on him. Just kidding. Anyway, I hate to ask you this, but can you make something for supper? It doesn't have to be anything big, just enough for three.”
 
“Sure, I'll just make some Ramen. Is that all right?”
 
“Perfect! You are a lifesaver!! Thank you. I'll be home with him in about a half hour. See ya then.”
 
“Bye”
 
Kagome hung up the phone, then went back to the fridge to look for her ingredients.
 
As Lydia walked in the door with her guest in tow, Kagome had just finished setting out the plates. She wiped her hands off, and turned to greet them. Her eye's widened slightly at the sensation she was getting.
 
`A youkai? But what youkai would be a doctor?' She saw that the young man had bent over, untying his shoes, and Lydia was in front of him, taking off her coat, obscuring Kagome's view of his face.
 
Lydia straightened up and saw Kagome. She grinned and went to hug the younger woman. Kagome smiled and hugged her back. She had grown to love Lydia in the few days she had been there. It was just something about the woman. Lydia was constantly making friends wherever she went.
 
Lydia turned to the man behind her and motioned for him to come there. Kagome looked at him as he was walking towards her, her breath catching in her throat.
 
`Sesshomaru? He looks like him, but why would he of all people be a doctor? It must be a coincidence. Yes, that's it. The resemblance is almost uncanny.' He looked at her and his eyes widened. Shock and sadness flashed in his eyes before going back to their normal stoic state. Suddenly she didn't feel so sure.
 
“Sesshomaru?” She whispered, looking at him in wonder.
 
 
**Sesshomaru's point of view**
 
 
He had gotten to the hospital that morning in good cheer, which had been rather rare for him lately. As in the last 500 years. A woman came up to him and introduced herself as Lydia Jackson. She was annoyingly cheerful, but it seemed familiar in a sort of way.
 
`She reminds me of her. She even smells a little like her, wait, smells like her?' He sniffed subtly, catching an elusive scent. It was not Lydia's, he knew that for sure, but a barely noticeable foreign scent was on her.
 
`Hmm, strawberries and crème. Just like….' He shook himself mentally, his mind should be concentrating on what she was saying to him, but the smell was too distracting. He hadn't thought about her much,
 
`Yah right, just like all the time. Everything reminds me of her and I don't know why she's plaguing my thoughts. She is a human, and she is dead. I was there the night….' His thoughts got cut off as the woman looked at him with concern in her eyes.
 
“Are you okay? You seem a little distracted.” He looked down at her with his usual stoic mask on. She shrugged and kept on showing him around.
 
Finally, the day was over and he could go back and relax. He realized that the woman must have not remembered the time so he decided to make a subtle hint.
 
“Thank you for showing me around, but I really must be going. I have yet to unpack.” Well, that really wasn't true, Jaken did it all already, but she didn't need to know that. He didn't quite get the reaction he was hoping for though. No, instead she looked at him with inspiration in her eyes. He mentally groaned, preparing himself for whatever happened.
 
“Oh, I have an idea!! If you don't feel like cooking, why don't you come over and have dinner with my friend's daughter and I. She has only been here for a few days as well. I'm sure she would love to meet you.” He considered her offer. It would mean that he would have a night off from Jaken at least. He hadn't had one of those for over 700 years. He nodded,
 
“I would like that. Where is your friends daughter from?” he asked, merely for manners sake.
 
“She is from Tokyo, Japan. My friend, Reia, said that her daughter had gone into a sort of depression. She wouldn't say why besides the fact that she lost some very close friends. She thought a change of scenery would do her some good.” As she was talking, she fumbled about in her purse, looking for her cell phone.
 
`Tokyo? Now that's just wishful thinking. Wait, why would I be wishing to see her. I am the great Sesshomaru!' Even he couldn't convince himself. After all, she was the reason he became a doctor.
 
The woman next to him pulled out a cell phone and punched in a number. He watched, arguing with himself as she talked on the phone.
 
`Kags?' He was pulled out of his thoughts once again as she grabbed his arm and started him towards the car. He had Jaken drive him here since he didn't want to deal with parking. Now he was glad he did. The entire way there the woman wouldn't stop talking.
 
He groaned mentally, maybe it wasn't a good idea to go to a house with two females. Who knows what he got himself into?
 
She pulled into a driveway of a small, but beautiful place. He was impressed that this slip of a woman could do anything so beautiful as those gardens. They walked towards the house, which didn't look like anything special. They walked in through the front door, and Sesshomaru got assaulted by a strong, familiar smell.
 
He bent over to untie his shoes as a young woman came into view. He didn't get a good look at her because Lydia had gone over to give her a hug. He straightened up and walked over towards them. As he got a look at the younger woman, he stopped, pain constricting his chest.
 
`She looks just like her. Oh, Kagome, what have you done to me?' He repeated the question that had been plaguing him for five centuries. As he got closer, he realized that she had also stopped in shock.
 
“Sesshomaru?” He barely caught her whisper, as she looked at him with wonder in her eyes.
 
“Kagome?”